HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

In praise of Shane O'Brien.

Old
03-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
In praise of Shane O'Brien.

I'm glad that we made the trade with the Canucks to bring Shane O'Brien here. He's usually our 3rd-4th best D-man. He actually clears the crease for Pekka (unlike Hamhuis). He throws hits, fights, talks trash. He also can set up goals or almost goals.

I'm happy.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Jarnberg

He setup a really nice goal for Columbus last Sunday. Yeah he clears the crease, but the guy struggles with the puck, enough to where he struggles to get the puck out of our zone and he also fails to keep plays alive in the offensive zone. He puts our players in bad situations with his passes, often causing turnovers. He also takes bad penalties. Color me unimpressed.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 07:53 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I think he started the season well but has regressed. I liked him a lot early on, but now a lot of the things Canucks fans warned us about have come to pass, particularly dumb penalties.

I wish we had realized Blum was as good as he seems to be earlier in the year. Maybe we could have traded SOB instead of Sulzer and got a better return and saved more money.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:31 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think he started the season well but has regressed. I liked him a lot early on, but now a lot of the things Canucks fans warned us about have come to pass, particularly dumb penalties.

I wish we had realized Blum was as good as he seems to be earlier in the year. Maybe we could have traded SOB instead of Sulzer and got a better return and saved more money.
This^^^^ SOB pairs better with KK than Cube on the PK, but otherwise, overall he's been an adequate 3rd pair guy. Like his heart but not his head.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 08:32 AM
roseyc

I think that SOB was a valuable pickup. Of all our defenseman he brings the grit that was missing from Hamhuis. He doesn't get pushed around and takes the physical stuff away from Weber so that he can consentrate on his offensive game. He cleans the crease which if you were to ask Pekka he knows it. Although he is not skilled with the puck and something he doesn't know it and makes mistakes if he's taking out of his role which sometimes he is exposed but that is due to injuries and bad pairings. Blum's emergence will eliminate a lot of this

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:10 AM
preds1

[QUOTE=PredsV82;31381378]I think he started the season well but has regressed. I liked him a lot early on, but now a lot of the things Canucks fans warned us about have come to pass, particularly dumb penalties.
[QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

he's much better than Boullion.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 12:18 PM
predfan24

If he would just not take dumb penalties and and stop trying to do so much with the puck he would be a great 16-17 minutes a night guy. As it stands right now I would say he has been solid for us. Great at times, lackluster at others.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
If he would just not take dumb penalties and and stop trying to do so much with the puck he would be a great 16-17 minutes a night guy. As it stands right now I would say he has been solid for us. Great at times, lackluster at others.
That's Shane in a nutshell because he's unwilling to accept his role as a tough third pairing defenseman. He fancies himself as a skillful Top 4 guy who is above fighting. If/when he ever accepts his limitations, he'll be a valuable guy. Its seemingly why his relationship with every coach so far has blown up because they slot him in where he belongs but he thinks he's so much more.

Good luck in the game tonight!

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Solid third pairing defenseman. He provides size, grit, and tenacity. Solid pker. Horrible with the puck. Hartnell-like boneheadedness. We easily won the trade with Vancouver as Parent has been waived twice since the deal.

03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
VanEric

It was a salary dump for the Canucks because of O'Brien's contract and the Canucks being right up at the cap.

Nashville got the better player for sure but Parent hasn't been all bad. He was fine when he was up and he would be back up now but the team can't recall him without putting him on waivers and likely losing him for nothing. It sucks for him but those are the NHL's rules.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
he's much better than Boullion.

I wouldn't say much better. I'd say very different styles. Bouillon is more steady but can't clear the crease. But I'd rather have Bouillon with the puck. And O'Brien in a fight.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Solid third pairing defenseman. He provides size, grit, and tenacity. Solid pker. Horrible with the puck. Hartnell-like boneheadedness. We easily won the trade with Vancouver as Parent has been waived twice since the deal.
I'd call it a decent deal for both teams.

The Canucks wanted pretty badly to send O'Brien packing, and managed to do that, so they're pretty happy no matter what. Parent is also reportedly looking pretty good in the AHL (something he really needed to get his game back on track), and if he can turn into a player, then that's a bonus.

If you guys are happy with O'Brien, then it's a good deal for Nashville, too.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:38 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
He's been making "dumb hockey" mistakes lately. But he's big and tough and helped the PK to a top 5 ranking. He played well up until the all-star break, and after that he kind of regressed.

He's done nothing but praise Trotz, the team, organization and city.

Overall I'm happy to have him here.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 05:10 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Trading Obrien (as others have stated) was a salary dump. As well as getting rid of the baggage of his partying, in practice fights.. IN PLAYOFf GAME FIGHTS WITH HIS OWN COACHES.. and overall bad play.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Trading Obrien (as others have stated) was a salary dump. As well as getting rid of the baggage of his partying, in practice fights.. IN PLAYOFf GAME FIGHTS WITH HIS OWN COACHES.. and overall bad play.
Maybe because he wasn't happy?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 08:30 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

SOB has regressed. I doubt he will be resigned

Old
03-25-2011, 09:52 AM
deanwormer

Last night showed why SOB is a 3rd pair guy and may always be one; terrible lazy penalties at absolute worst times. You simply cannot be a primary PK guy and then go out and put your team in a 5-on-3 hole with lazy careless play.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Last night showed why SOB is a 3rd pair guy and may always be one; terrible lazy penalties at absolute worst times. You simply cannot be a primary PK guy and then go out and put your team in a 5-on-3 hole with lazy careless play.
I guess I just saw a different game from everyone else. Lazy play by knocking a puck accidentally out of play after a few failed attempts by our forwards to clear the zone? I was willing to take a penalty or an icing at that point... So if you are calling our forwards lazy, then I'd agree.

And the other penalty I thought he had to take... It all but saved a goal. The one you guys SHOULD be complaining about is Spaling's penalty. That hooking was purely lazy and didn't save a goal.

I thought O'Brien was in Getzlaf's head most of the night. He still clears out the crease by far better than ANYONE on our team. Did you guys miss the 4-5 tackles he had in our crease to prohibit the other team from knocking in rebounds there in the 3rd period? Most of the time it was one of Perry/Ryan. In my opinion... he is our best PK guy outside of Suter. BY FAR.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:12 PM
kakemono

He fills a need pretty well. Has trouble with the penalties, but we need the physical presence. We don't really have anyone but Weber in the back that can clear the crease and stand up for himself. I look at the future of our defense and see guys like Josi, Ellis, OliverRussel(sp?) and worry about this aspect. Players like we have in the pipeline are great, but they will get overrun by teams like the Ducks and Sharks.

I'd rather him be on the ice than Klein. Please.Not.Klein

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:01 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
I was willing to take a penalty or an icing at that point... So if you are calling our forwards lazy, then I'd agree.
You were willing to take another penalty at that point? What? That doesn't do any good, it still keeps the puck in the zone and puts them another man down.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:11 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
You were willing to take another penalty at that point? What? That doesn't do any good, it still keeps the puck in the zone and puts them another man down.
Taking a penalty to save a goal > allowing a goal

Old
03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Taking a penalty to save a goal > allowing a goal
But he didn't take a penalty to save a goal. The Ducks may have kept the puck in the zone, that doesn't mean they would've scored and I'll take my chances on killing a 5 on 4 for 1:20 or whatever it was than killing a 5 on 3 for that long and then killing another 5 on 4 for 40 more seconds.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:51 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

with all we have in the pipeline and the fact that SOB makes 1.6 mil this year I really do see him being re-signed unless he takes a major pay cut, like down to 1 million or less. With Cube already signed for next year and Blum having won a spot, unless we trade Franson or Klein I think SOB is bid farewell.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:02 PM
utmfisher19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
with all we have in the pipeline and the fact that SOB makes 1.6 mil this year I really do see him being re-signed unless he takes a major pay cut, like down to 1 million or less. With Cube already signed for next year and Blum having won a spot, unless we trade Franson or Klein I think SOB is bid farewell.
Definitely agree with this. Even though we need someone who will play physical and take those hard penalties (hard as in penalties because of physical play), I don't see him winning out over Josi, Franson, Klein, Blum, or Cube next year. I wish we could package Cube and resign O'Brien for 1-1.2M, but I doubt it will happen.