HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Columbus at Phoenix March 24, 2011 10pm EST - "Going through the motions" edition

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
I personally think its an awesome thing Umby and Nash had a closed locker room meeting after the game tonight. Are we going to make the playoffs? Is it "mathematically" still possible? Probably not but at least our Captains at least are trying to give a ****.
It's still mathematically possible, but it would require making up 10 points the rest of the way...in other words, getting 10 more points the rest of the season than Nashville or Anaheim.

When that disaster of a game against Nashville took place on February 27, the Jackets (with a win) would have controlled their playoff destiny.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:36 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingWild View Post
Okay, here's how it goes. I asked a question. I got two answers to which I responded. wooten misunderstood my answer and made a snarky comment which in no way related to my veiled Howson reference. (My apologies for not spelling it out in black and white: Howson, as general manager, has a master plan for the organization and that plan has resulted in X number of dollars being spent for the roster per game. TO ME, spending nearly $2,000,000 for three games and ZERO goals/points/tinglings in the stones of the fanbase is an exiguous plan at best. Yet, his job is not in jeopardy according to Mike Priest.)

There is no argument here; misunderstanding and disagreement, perhaps. And still, you jump in and contribute nothing to the imaginary argument other than hyperbole and a condescending, little shaky head. Totally classless? Puh-leeze.

Geez and I thought you were laughing at me about the 10 cents.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:42 PM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Geez and I thought you were laughing at me about the 10 cents.
I'm laughing with you, buddy! What else is there to do?

Old
03-25-2011, 02:57 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Let's consider what's happened.
Just for grins, I'm going to respond to sections of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah
Jake hasn't improved. Brassard's improvement has been more then off set by Vermette's regression. Juice has been a non factor. Stralman has regressed, the rest of the defense has been a push or worse. Nash's production mimic's last years despite being "fresher" in the third. RJ's got a slight bump in production, mostly by increased minutes.
If we agree with this, is it just bad luck? Is it learning curve? Could this be due to a new system? Could it be some of these guys don't fit in the system?

Quote:
Honestly, if it wasn't for the emergence of DM, Clitsome, and Calvert we'd be right where we were last year. Notice how our wins started to dry up around the same time Clitsome and Calvert came back to earth?
Once again, Clitsome was part of the 2004 draft class, picked in the 9th round. Calvert was picked in the 5th round of the 2008 draft.

Luck or skill?

Quote:
The "problem" wasn't with the coaching staff. The problem is with the roster. Too many players in roles that aren't ready for or aren't qualified for. On the defense it's a lot of the latter, with the forwards it's could be more of the former.
Is this a new phenomon? Did the previous coaching staff have a roster that oozed talent? Except for the hallucinatory run to a playoff sweep, aren't the results about the same? hmmm...

Quote:
Obviously next year a couple of our players in key roles will be a year older and maybe they will be ready for their roles. It was a good learning year for Brassard, for example. However, this performance wasn't close to what we have to have to compete in the West. Honestly, I'm not sure how much more we are going to get out of Jake. I've thought for a while he'll peak around 20-25 goals and around 65-70 points, he really hasn't show anything to change that view.

The team can be more entertaining to watch. The game is certainly quicker. However, our roster really isn't at the level to compete in the West with this style. At least not yet.
Yet two years ago, a certain GM told me at one of those PSL Holder's cocktail parties that they had the talent on the roster to rise at the same trajectory as Chicago, just one year later.

Quote:
I didn't figure we would see much of a bump in offense. We've actually regressed. We're giving up less goals at this point, we're back to around the 08/09 levels.

It's one thing to look at our youth and look at a team like Chicago and the state they were in. But Brassard isn't Toews, Vermette isn't Sharp, Clitsome isn't Seabrook, and Tyutin isn't Keith. That's a rather large drop off in skill on our developing youth over what they had. Not that Tyutin is even youth, I guess you could say that Russell isn't Keith.
Is there someone in the organization responsible for the talent level of the roster? I wonder who it could be?

If so, is he delivering?

Did the person responsible whether by over-estimating the roster or by design, leave a coaching staff without the talent to compete?

Is that much different than the person who used to be responsible? You know, the guy who so over-estimated the roster, he claimed he wouldn't trade it for the Red Wings roster?

Quote:
The good news is that maybe, just maybe, Johansen is Toews and maybe Calvert could be a 30 goal scorer. Maybe our "Kane". Not comparing styles, just production. Maybe, just maybe, Savard and Moore could be our Campbell's at least. Notice how many maybe's we have in here?
Yup, I hope so. Of course I once heard Gilbert Brule was this answer. Next I heard Derek Brassard was the answer. Now you're saying it's not Brassard, it might be Johansen? What if it isn't?

I mean weren't we once told Brule would compete with Crosby for the Calder Trophy? Are the expectations of Johansen higher than THAT?

Old
03-25-2011, 03:12 PM
kellymiller

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Mike Priest for all his hard work. I'm glad he's not being thrown under the bus by reactionary fans. He's done a very good job if you understand the nuances of hockey management IMO.

When I get my weekly CSR call begging to reconsider a PSL, I feel giddy knowing my funds could contribute to this hockey architects Dublin mansion.

My hero:

Old
03-25-2011, 04:05 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingWild View Post
Okay, here's how it goes. I asked a question. I got two answers to which I responded. wooten misunderstood my answer and made a snarky comment which in no way related to my veiled Howson reference. (My apologies for not spelling it out in black and white: Howson, as general manager, has a master plan for the organization and that plan has resulted in X number of dollars being spent for the roster per game. TO ME, spending nearly $2,000,000 for three games and ZERO goals/points/tinglings in the stones of the fanbase is an exiguous plan at best. Yet, his job is not in jeopardy according to Mike Priest.)

There is no argument here; misunderstanding and disagreement, perhaps. And still, you jump in and contribute nothing to the imaginary argument other than hyperbole and a condescending, little shaky head. Totally classless? Puh-leeze.
I don't misunderstand you. I knew exactly what you're getting at and that's how I feel about this line of analysis. Arguing about a player's salary in direct relation to a particular game's performance is easy enough, but are you really making a reasonable point, or just pointing out the obvious? What shut out team is worth their salary that particular game?

My counter point, which you dismissed as snarky was..is everyone always worth their salary 100% of the time, in any job? is it different because these are millionaires?

I digress. I get it. You want to snipe at Howson and or the players for the salary:performance ratio of the team, particularly during the last few games or shutouts. Seems like an oversimplification to me, but whatever floats your boat. No team playing poorly is worth their salary at the time, right?

Just to be clear, I'm not defending Howson, his salaries, or the players themselves who seem to be mailing it in. Howson sits in the big chair and after the way this season has gone, he has a lot of work ahead of him and is deserving of any various ways he is criticized. IMO, he has a very low probability of making it out of next season with his job. A lot of things will have to start going his way, starting with the offseason and UFA and ending with how well it all can come together next year. I have hope, but as my momma always told me, hope in one hand....in the other and see which fills fastest.

Old
03-25-2011, 04:18 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

In Summary: It's (been) over and they got a lot of work to do.

(Jf trending toward "twitter" brevity and less twitty treatises.)

Old
03-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Let's call it a day here.

Closed Thread