HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Earthquakes hit Japan

Old
03-15-2011, 06:37 PM
LeHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
New fire just broke out at reactor 4
That reactor is off anyway

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
That reactor is off anyway
lol um, the fires are burning old fuel rods, ...and unleashing radioactive smoke...

makes no difference that the reactor is "off" , radioactive materials are still IN the building

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

not looking good...the 50 workers were just evacuated...

whos in control?

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Habitant le colon

Another quake ! few info says a standard 4/7(JAPAN) status some info sasy a critic 6/7 status (FRENCH) who are right ... # 2 has a breach so number 4 can be ... everyone has been taken out for secure their self many questions as to be answer by today ... hopefully expert are their !

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
not looking good...the 50 workers were just evacuated...

whos in control?
Quote:
10:46
TEPCO says the reactor 3 at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has been emitting white smoke for about 45 minutes
11:36
The remaining 50 workers located in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant have evacuated after radiation levels there have surged.
11:40
Chief cabinet secretary Edano announces that the white fumes emerging from the plant may constitute radioactive steam that has breached Unit 3's containment.
Quote:
By midday 16 March, NHK TV was reporting white smoke rising from the Fukushima I plant, which officials suggested was likely coming from Reactor 3. Shortly afterwards, reports surfaced that all but a small group of remaining workers at the plant had been removed and placed on standby because of the dangerously rising levels of radioactivity. Other reports stated that TEPCO had suspended operations at the facility due to radiation spikes and had pulled all their employees out.

STILL only getting worse, not one damn bit of good news...

They have been worried about unit 3 the most because its the only one using Plutonium as well as uranium while all the other reactors are on uranium....

Last edited by Redux91: 03-15-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old
03-16-2011, 04:08 AM
Habitant le colon

So any breach on #2 or 4 that would lead to a fissic explosion (this explosion can be creat by the saturation of the bottom bassin and by the pressure reaction) would lead to a major chain reaction (with the over melt uranium on one part and a plutonium[if plutonium is use on reactor 3 ; their is so many false info late on anyway] overboiled from the other) that cause a nuclear explosion of a major importance ! Tchernobyl would be far behind to this second Hiroshima .... but this is TOTALLY UNREALISTIC until their is no real big deal with a major breach of the reactor system. Hope that they get the situation fix before 3 day ... don't know how long they can hold it but sure they must react dmn fast ... this is an alarmist reaction from me but they lost the control so i'd rather push the panic button before they go say that they are oki :p

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
So any breach on #2 or 4 that would lead to a fissic explosion (this explosion can be creat by the saturation of the bottom bassin and by the pressure reaction) would lead to a major chain reaction (with the over melt uranium on one part and a plutonium[if plutonium is use on reactor 3 ; their is so many false info late on anyway] overboiled from the other) that cause a nuclear explosion of a major importance ! Tchernobyl would be far behind to this second Hiroshima .... but this is TOTALLY UNREALISTIC until their is no real big deal with a major breach of the reactor system. Hope that they get the situation fix before 3 day ... don't know how long they can hold it but sure they must react dmn fast ... this is an alarmist reaction from me but they lost the control so i'd rather push the panic button before they go say that they are oki :p
from pyrettas link
Quote:
Can this cause a nuclear explosion?

No. It is physically impossible for a nuclear power station to explode like a nuclear weapon.

Nuclear bombs work by causing a supercritical fission reaction in a very small space in an unbelievably small amount of time. They do this by using precisely-designed explosive charges to combine multiple subcritical masses of nuclear material so quickly that they bypass the critical stage and go directly to supercritical, and with enough force that the resulting supercritical mass cannot melt or blow itself apart before all of the material is fissioned. This requires extremely precise engineering, which is why building nuclear bombs is not a simple process regardless of how simple the basic idea is.

Current nuclear power plants are designed around subcritical masses of radioactive material, which are manipulated into achieving limited supercriticality for sustained fission through the use of neutron moderators. The heat from this fission is used to convert water to steam, which drives electric generator turbines. (This is a drastic simplification.) They are not capable of exploding like a bomb; if a reactor's nuclear core underwent an uncontrolled supercritical reaction, the energy produced would melt the nuclear fuel instead of exploding, which is what the makers of nuclear bombs have to try very hard to prevent.

Making a nuclear bomb is very difficult, and it is completely impossible for a nuclear reactor to accidentally become a bomb. Secondary systems, like cooling or turbines, can explode due to pressure and stress problems, but these are not nuclear explosions.
get your facts straight, there wont be nuclear EXPLOSIONS, WORST case scenario is contaminated air throughout 60-70% of japan (which is pretty bad), because of a MELTDOWN , theres a reason for the word MELT in that word, because its melting itself into a rare liquid-solid substance form similar to lava called "corium", but thats worst case scenario, these guys are looking at semi-worst case scenario

Old
03-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
If you aren't a follower of Dustin Brown's twitter, for every new follower from now until Sunday, he's going to donate $1 to the relief of Japan. So if you aren't following him yet, do so now @DustinBrown23.

Apparently Stu Siegel is doing the same, but donating $20 per new follower. @StuSiegel

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 06:15 PM
The Right Price

I read the article that Pyretta posted. It was pretty interesting actually. So a reactor takes atleast 2 weeks to cool down during normal circumstances IIRC, that means the Fukushima reactors won't cool down for another week or so atleast. I laughed so hard when a Finnish "expert" was later on the news telling how Japan should've already cooled the reactors down. Well, who knows who is right in this case, I bet the Finnish expert is badly wrong.

I also believe that the journalists, atleast in Europe, are really overportraying the dangers to a) sell news and newspapers b) to sort of blackmail nuclear power.

So as long as a fire won't break into the core reactor, which IMO is unlikely, though not impossible, they should escape the danger with just low radiation falls, especially with the wind turning to blow to the Pacific.

Don't get me wrong. I feel very sorry for Japan, it's completely unbelievable how many over 5 scale quakes has happened there and I wish them all the best.

But the western media is portraying this as the second coming of Chernobly, which it obviously isn't. And it's getting annoying.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

So far, so "good" among my peeps. Lots of relocation going on, including my old soccer coach who runs his own school north of Tokyo. Was forwarded [this link] about a girl we used to work with in northern Hyogo who moved to Sendai a few years ago. Couldn't imagine being in her shoes.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Okay, this thread needs bumping because **** is still going down over there. With all the talk of toughness and "sense of urgency" going on right now, I thought I'd share a link I got from a few friends' Facebook to "badass of the week". Check this out: Hideaki Akaiwa

Seriously, this guy is some kind of action hero.

Old
03-25-2011, 04:06 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Okay, this thread needs bumping because **** is still going down over there. With all the talk of toughness and "sense of urgency" going on right now, I thought I'd share a link I got from a few friends' Facebook to "badass of the week". Check this out: Hideaki Akaiwa

Seriously, this guy is some kind of action hero.
maybe I'm being naive, but couldn't he have gotten to his old house by canoe?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
maybe I'm being naive, but couldn't he have gotten to his old house by canoe?
Having lived there for a long time, I can tell you that even in the countryside (I lived on the riverside in a town of 2000 in an area of 75000 that boarders a huge river AND the ocean) I've only seen, like 5 canoes, but I know lots of people who recreationally dive. Remember that this is a pretty big city in a country where outdoorsy-type stuff isn't nearly as popular as it is in Canada. Let's take Montreal as an example: if you needed a canoe in a pinch and you were stuck on St. Catherines... where would you look first? Heck, you live in Montreal right? How many of your friends that live nearby have a canoe you could borrow in an emergency? And recall that you live in Canada, the country with likely the most canoes per capita in the world.

Also, water levels were up around second story levels and loose wreckage is everywhere. Unless your canoe has a submerge function, how would you get into a house/building, and how would you get up and down stairs in it, and how would you get around all the rubble?

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 03-25-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old
03-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Habs 1909

Received an email from TELUS the other day:

Quote:
Dear Clients,

At TELUS, we're committed to helping communities in need at home and around the world. With the recent devastation in Japan, we want to give you the opportunity to stay connected with your loved ones and to donate to the relief efforts underway.

Call Japan for free
Until March 31, TELUS clients can call Japan for free from their TELUS home phone or mobile phone (even when roaming). If you're calling from your home phone, there will be a charge on your bill but a subsequent credit will be reflected on your April/May bill.

Text to donate
To offer your support to those in Japan, you can make a text donation to the Canadian Red Cross or the Salvation Army in Canada:

To donate $5 to the Canadian Red Cross Society, text "ASIA" to 30333

To donate $10 to the Salvation Army in Canada, text "QUAKE" to 45678

(text messages are free to send)

TELUS is also helping in the relief effort by donating $100,000 to registered Canadian charities active in relief efforts and matching all donations made by our employees.

Disasters around the world affect us all. By working together, we can make a positive difference in the lives of people around the globe that are struck by these disasters. To learn more about our community commitment, please visit telus.com/community.

Regards,

The TELUS Team
Nice gesture.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 05:26 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Having lived there for a long time, I can tell you that even in the countryside (I lived on the riverside in a town of 2000 in an area of 75000 that boarders a huge river AND the ocean) I've only seen, like 5 canoes, but I know lots of people who recreationally dive. Remember that this is a pretty big city in a country where outdoorsy-type stuff isn't nearly as popular as it is in Canada. Let's take Montreal as an example: if you needed a canoe in a pinch and you were stuck on St. Catherines... where would you look first? Heck, you live in Montreal right? How many of your friends that live nearby have a canoe you could borrow in an emergency? And recall that you live in Canada, the country with likely the most canoes per capita in the world.

Also, water levels were up around second story levels and loose wreckage is everywhere. Unless your canoe has a submerge function, how would you get into a house/building, and how would you get up and down stairs in it, and how would you get around all the rubble?
the only reason I asked is because I saw video clips of little motorized boats being used so I figured some kind of boat could be an effective way to get around. It seems as though when rescuing the survivors they could manage to get on it without much difficulty, even if it meant being submerged in water briefly.

As to where he could have gotten one - maybe at the same place he got the scuba gear? Inflatable boat?

I'm just throwing it out there - surely he did what was best at the time.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
the only reason I asked is because I saw video clips of little motorized boats being used so I figured some kind of boat could be an effective way to get around. It seems as though when rescuing the survivors they could manage to get on it without much difficulty, even if it meant being submerged in water briefly.

As to where he could have gotten one - maybe at the same place he got the scuba gear? Inflatable boat?

I'm just throwing it out there - surely he did what was best at the time.
You'll just have to trust me as someone who lived there and traveled most of the country pretty much from top to bottom many times, that it's much, much easier to find a set of scuba gear lying around in Japan (either at someone's house or in a specialty store) than it is to find an "extra" boat in the aftermath of a tsunami after most of them (which are usually kept moored on/near water since no one has garages... and I've never even seen a canoe "on display" in a store, for that matter) have been washed out to sea, and the rest are likely already knee-deep in rescue efforts.

He probably would have had lots more luck finding a kayak as opposed to a canoe or other kind of open boat (lots of kayaks scattered around for recreational use), but even still...