HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anderson Contract Extention (4years/12.75M)

Old
03-22-2011, 10:14 PM
trobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
I don't think so. He quit on Colorado. He was worth an Elliot, and thats it. Played a couple good games and ???

3.2 a year

I am a Senator fan since the Jets left, but this is just STUPID.(especially with Lehner in the wings)

WOW, If you think that Anderson could even come close to holding Vokouns or Brys's jock strap, you are sorely mistaken!! (OK I'm wrong. he could hold their jock)

I could be very wrong, but lets see what Vokoun and Brys get this summer. I believe Ottawa paid too much too soon. I could be wrong though!!
I'd rather have Brys for three years(same money)than Anderson for four! and Lehner after!
I'm not a fan of the 4th year...but you're making two huge assumptions.

1. That Anderson will be a flop, and we'll be screwed for another few years.
2. Lehner is the next coming of Patrick Roy.

By the end of next season, if Anderson plays as good, or close to as good as he's shown, you can probably put him in the Top-3 goalies this organization has ever had. If he does that two years in a row, he can slot him right behind Lalime...if he exceeds expections, he'll probably go down as the best goalie this organization has ever had.

I'm hoping Lehner is the goalie of the future, but his stint in the World Championship, the fact that he can't unseat Barry Brust as the AHL top tender, and his extemely over-confident (or immature) attitude shows this kid is easily at least 18 months away from even being a backup in the NHL.

Also, Bryz 'aint coming here...dude hates the cold...

-Trobby OUT!

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Yes people, There are some "slow" people in this world.
I will not even reply about the terms this "slow person" used . which should be reported.
I could tell as soon as he stated "Andersson is a #1 goalie"

P.s. I think a two year deal at 2.5 is what he deserves!

Man if this is the best you can do, then it's not even worth reading your posts. Thank you HFB for the ignore button.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:46 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post

Man if this is the best you can do, then it's not even worth reading your posts. Thank you HFB for the ignore button.

If this was facebook, I would press the Like button

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:52 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Quote:
I will not even reply about the terms this "slow person" used . which should be reported.

Surprising since you are already aware of the fact that he refused a 2 year $7.5M deal...

!

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
So your one of those idiots who believes a 20 year old goalie can successfully play in the NHL? Lehner is in the wings alright, he'll be there for at least 2 years and maybe 3.

Andersson is a #1 goalie. And how do you know he quit on Colorodo? Are you an insider or just an idiot? And if you think Bryzgalov would sign with the Sens for 3 yrs at $3.2 your more of an idiot than your post would suggest. Bryzgalov at $3.2M for 3 yrs! bbwwwahahahaahah. What a maroon!
Considering your posting history in the draft thread, I wouldn't toss the word 'idiot' around so matter of factly.

Suiteness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
I'd like to see the quality guys up here instead of the "Kovalev type" of retreads. Greening, Condra, Butler up front for sure, assuming they keep improving. And Hale and DSmith on the back end have earned a look for certain.

I assume most of the rookies we draft will go back to their juniour clubs. Cowen and Rundblad and Silfverberg made do some Bingo time until Kuba is moved and a forward moved...

I wonder what a Michalek & Kuba package would bring us at the Draft - better player? elite prospect? No1 pick? - I'd listen.
You'll get your wish because we are in a different situation now.

Kovalev and Gonchar signings were desesperate moves in attempt to keep this team afloat and trying to remain contenders as long as possible to give more shots at the Cup for what I call "Alfie's core"

This was going to be a very hard task after all the problems the team had to face the last few years and all the players lost for not enough (Redden, Meszaros, Emery, Heatley, Corvo, Chara, Havlat...) and the almost non-existent prospect pool (Hennessy, Zubov, Lee... as top prospects)

Now that Alfie is 39 y/o and all that a lot of things have changed, the Sens moved on and went into a rebuild. We are not going to bring in veteran guys for a while, but focus on youth and build a core that can win together

PS : I doubt Hale and Wick are going to be part of the future, as "okay" as they looked
PS2 : Michalek & Kuba aren't going to bring back an Elite prospect or a N.1 pick
PS3 : Silfverberg plans to stay in the SEL one more season. There are spots open up front, we don't necessarily need to "move a forward"

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
A player who only a few weeks ago was traded for Brian Elliott. A player, who only a few weeks ago was having a very poor season. A player a year removed from having his only good NHL season. .
That's probably because you weren't following the NHL before that season. Anderson has been nothing short of amazing in Florida, just got stuck behind an even more amazing goalie, Tomas Vokoun

Quote:
People should focus on what Murray said.

He was going to target Anderson this summer. By getting him early, he got a chance to see if Anderson was a good fit not only on the ice but more importantly in the dressing room. By all accounts he fits in. He has played well. Murray has watched him play for several years. He is taking into account his whole body of work, not just the past year or two.

Ask yourselves this, would Anderson even had considered signing as a UFA with the Sens this summer had he not played on the team this year? Probably not, and if he did, it would have cost a lot more than $3.2 million. There are no guarantees that Vokoun or Bryzgalov would have been available. If they aren't then Anderson would have been the premiere goalie available and there would have been no way for the Sens to convince him to go to a rebuilding club over a TB, Philly, etc.
Great post. People who work in the NHL do that for a living, they spend way much more time than us on it, even more than the hockey maniacs like me. You'd think that after reading so much, people would actually learn something, but do they? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Don't mean to offend you but did you even watch him last year? Maybe you did, but when you did see him it was probably the good part of his season. He was "sensational" for 40 games then slowly spiralled into poor performances and was bad down the stretch. I don't know how you judge your goaltenders, but I judge them by their overall season, not 40 games. If we did that Kippersoff would be one of the best in the league, but he isn't. He played bad at times and then played really well in games 35-65. Based on those 30 games he was great. Thats what your doing with Andersson. Nots trying to rag on the guy but he isn't as amazing as you think.
So, you're saying that great goalies don't have bad stretches? Luongo and Brodeur aren't great goalies by your standards? Heck, does a great goalie even exists?

Last edited by Xspyrit: 03-23-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old
03-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
I don't think so. He quit on Colorado. He was worth an Elliot, and thats it. Played a couple good games and ???

3.2 a year

I am a Senator fan since the Jets left, but this is just STUPID.(especially with Lehner in the wings)

WOW, If you think that Anderson could even come close to holding Vokouns or Brys's jock strap, you are sorely mistaken!! (OK I'm wrong. he could hold their jock)

I could be very wrong, but lets see what Vokoun and Brys get this summer. I believe Ottawa paid too much too soon. I could be wrong though!!
I'd rather have Brys for three years(same money)than Anderson for four! and Lehner after!
Ok, there is a lot of fail in this post so I'm not going to comment on everything but if you think that Bryzgalov and Vokoun are going to be cheap on July 1st, I dunno what to say. They will easily get over 5.0 per season unless it's not a typical contract

And you know what is stupid? Saying this signing is stupid "especially with Lehner in the wings"

lol, the guy is not even 20 y/o as we speak

Quote:

Explain me how what YOU think has anything to do with reality...

The reality is that UFA hockey players are like items on Ebay, they will end to the best offer.

By trading for Anderson and signing him before July 1st, we make sure there is no bidding war. In fact, there is no possible bidding for other teams.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

What Xspirit said.

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

People have different opinions on these things. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion, they are not wrong, just as you are not neccessarily right.

Anderson COULD flop.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:56 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
People have different opinions on these things. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion, they are not wrong, just as you are not neccessarily right.

Anderson COULD flop.
Yes, he could. We've had such bad luck with goalies, you can't help but wonder. I'm a little dubious about the four year contract, but maybe we finally have "The One"

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post

Anderson COULD flop.
Any critic needs to state what could have been done better. The options are limited.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I already said that I liked the signing / Elliott trade. I've just been on the receiving end of a lot of flak for my opinions before and just because I agree with the alleged intellectual bullies THIS time, their methods are no more palatable.

Old
03-23-2011, 03:57 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Agreed, he could flop, and what Sens fans have gone through when it comes to goaltending as a franchise, its hard to be positive and not look at any goalie signing unless its a for sure top #1 already mass proven guy, and be skeptical.

That said, he was our best option, Lehner, if he proves to be legit, is realistically 3-4 years away. And Anderson HAS shown game stealing abilities, and also brilliant playoff goaltending to boot. Im going to choose to be positive about this signing, and get excited for it.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Iggy77

I don't mind criticism of the signing but most of the negative comments aren't grounded in any sort of reality.

- We really didn't have any alternatives. Bryzgalov and Vokoun are NOT signing here, not without a massive overpayment anyway. Everyone else is worse and riskier than Anderson
- 4 years is too much ? Possibly. He turned down 2 years at 3.75/yr, we're not getting him at 2.5/yr for 2 years. Having Anderson and Lehner both up in Ottawa as #1 is not a bad problem to have, look at Boston and Vancouver(we won't be paying anywhere near as much as they are either)
- Lehner is nowhere near ready, he can't even take the #1 job away from Brust right now. He should be in the AHL for about 2 years, look at the current crop of young up and coming goalies, they've all followed a similar path to the NHL.
- It's a risky signing yes but there's no such thing as a risk free goalie signing. Just because the Sens have had such horrible results in the past with goalies doesn't mean we should be terrified of signing goalies. If anything the long streak of failures means we're due for a good goalie acquisition (we can't fail at goaltending forever). Murray mitigated the risk as much as possible by trading for him and seeing how he fits in here.

In my opinion this is as good as the Sens can do given the current situation

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:50 PM
ShotDownCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Agreed, he could flop, and what Sens fans have gone through when it comes to goaltending as a franchise, its hard to be positive and not look at any goalie signing unless its a for sure top #1 already mass proven guy, and be skeptical.

That said, he was our best option, Lehner, if he proves to be legit, is realistically 3-4 years away. And Anderson HAS shown game stealing abilities, and also brilliant playoff goaltending to boot. Im going to choose to be positive about this signing, and get excited for it.
Also when looking at Andersons stats... They really are not THAT bad. Its not like we are signing LeClaire again, who is number one INJURY prone, and number two had ONE good year. At least Anderson has a handful of good-great years.

With options that we had, we were out of luck. The more I think about it, the happier I am with the contract. Still would have liked 3 years rather than 4. But can't win them all!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:21 PM
arglebargle

vCash: 141
I'm glad they signed him but the contract is a year too long. On the other hand Murray has been signing oversized contracts since he became GM, so it's not surprising.

In the end though he's not being paid like an elite goaltender. I'm reasonably certain that this guy can put up at least 50 games of solid goaltending over the next 3 years, and a little over $3 million is pretty fair for that much.

What worries me more is Murray continuing his habit of overpaying for free agent scraps in late July like he's done the last couple of offseasons. With all the cap space they'll have this is a very real possibility IMO. I'm actually hoping the team plays really, really badly in the last 4-5 games so management doesn't blow their loads early and decide to go all out for next season.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:42 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
GREAT NEWS!

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
What worries me more is Murray continuing his habit of overpaying for free agent scraps in late July like he's done the last couple of offseasons. With all the cap space they'll have this is a very real possibility IMO. I'm actually hoping the team plays really, really badly in the last 4-5 games so management doesn't blow their loads early and decide to go all out for next season.
Surely they are not that dumb.

I'll be both shocked and disturbed if this team makes any kind of big splash in the UFA market this summer.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:58 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
Surely they are not that dumb.

I'll be both shocked and disturbed if this team makes any kind of big splash in the UFA market this summer.
At the season ticket holders meeting thingee Murray said he will be looking at possibly signing just 1 UFA guy, so at least we kind of know what his plan is, I doubt a big splash, although he said he'd like a top 6 forward.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

How many games does Anderson have to be awesome for before everybody shuts up?

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:34 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Murray chasing the ever elusive top 6 forward.

Who'd have thunk it.

Old
03-25-2011, 01:58 AM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
How many games does Anderson have to be awesome for before everybody shuts up?
If Anderson won the Vezina, Art Ross, Conn Smythe, Rocket Richard and Hart trophies every year for the next four years...people on this board would still find something to complain about...

It's a losing battle to talk about anything positive around here...

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
SensTor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
If Anderson won the Vezina, Art Ross, Conn Smythe, Rocket Richard and Hart trophies every year for the next four years...people on this board would still find something to complain about...

It's a losing battle to talk about anything positive around here...
Rocket Richard...There goes that ego maniac Anderson carrying the puck up to his blue line and slapping them in...sure he scores more than the Sedins combined but he's not giving Butler a chance to shine.

SensTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
I don't mind criticism of the signing but most of the negative comments aren't grounded in any sort of reality.

- We really didn't have any alternatives. Bryzgalov and Vokoun are NOT signing here, not without a massive overpayment anyway. Everyone else is worse and riskier than Anderson
- 4 years is too much ? Possibly. He turned down 2 years at 3.75/yr, we're not getting him at 2.5/yr for 2 years. Having Anderson and Lehner both up in Ottawa as #1 is not a bad problem to have, look at Boston and Vancouver(we won't be paying anywhere near as much as they are either)
- Lehner is nowhere near ready, he can't even take the #1 job away from Brust right now. He should be in the AHL for about 2 years, look at the current crop of young up and coming goalies, they've all followed a similar path to the NHL.
- It's a risky signing yes but there's no such thing as a risk free goalie signing. Just because the Sens have had such horrible results in the past with goalies doesn't mean we should be terrified of signing goalies. If anything the long streak of failures means we're due for a good goalie acquisition (we can't fail at goaltending forever). Murray mitigated the risk as much as possible by trading for him and seeing how he fits in here.

In my opinion this is as good as the Sens can do given the current situation
Almost everything is said in that post. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
I'm glad they signed him but the contract is a year too long. On the other hand Murray has been signing oversized contracts since he became GM, so it's not surprising.
I'm assuming you meant in Ottawa...

Ryan Shannon : 1 year, 1 year
Chris Neil : 4 years
Chris Kelly : 4 years
Nick Foligno : 3 years (ELC), 2 years
Daniel Alfredsson : 4 years
Alexei Kovalev : 2 years
Peter Regin : 2 years (ELC), 2 years
Jesse Winchester : 2 years, 2 years
Bobby Butler : 2 years
Zack Smith : 3 years (ELC)
Erik Condra : 2 years (ELC)
Colin Greening : 1 year (ELC)
Roman Wick : 1 year (ELC)
Jarkko Ruutu : 3 years
Mike Fisher : 5 years
Shean Donovan : 2 years
Antoine Vermette : 2 years
Randy Robitaille : 1 year

Sergei Gonchar : 3 years
Filip Kuba : 3 years
Chris Campoli : 1 year
Chris Phillips : 3 years
Erik Karlsson : 3 years (ELC)
Brian Lee : 2 years
Patrick Wiercioch : 3 years (ELC)
David Hale : 1 year
Matt Carkner : 2 years, 2 years
Jason Smith : 2 years
Jared Cowen : 3 years (ELC)
Alex Picard : 2 years
Christoph Schubert : 3 years
Brendan Bell : 1 year

Craig Anderson : 4 years
Brian Elliott : 2 years
Ray Emery : 3 years
Alex Auld : 2 years
Robin Lehner : 3 years (ELC)

That's hardly oversized contracts to me. In fact, it's almost only short term deals (2 years is short term in the NHL)

Of course Heatley and Spezza were on multi-year deals but I hope doh... Star players want long term contracts. If you sign your stars on short term deals and they become UFAs at 27 y/o, you are pretty damn stupid.