HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How many of you right handed player shoot left handed?

Old
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

vCash: 500
I write with my left hand.
Throw a baseball with my left hand.

I play hockey right handed.
I bat right.
Golf right.

The first sport I played as a kid was hockey. My dad bought me a straight bladed stick and I immediately held it right handed and have never looked back. My athletic stance has been right handed all of my life and I think that is because of how I first learned to hold a hockey stick.

As a dominant left handed person my left leg is the strongest but I power my shot, my bat and my golf swing all off of my right leg.

When I boxed I used a conventional stance (left foot forward). I always had a very heavy jab and my go to punch was a left hook. My right hand was extremely weak when starting out but I was able to build some strength in it with technique and tons of repetition. At the end of the day my right hand was never more than adequate and I only really used it to set up my left hook.

When I dropped my gloves on the ice I always threw my left hand. (The sample size here is very large)

My wife is also left hand dominant but both of my kids write right handed and play hockey left.

What does this all mean?

IDK

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:08 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

I'm a righty in everything except billiards. I started to play hockey at around 4 with a straight blade.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
SomeDude

Left handed, shoot right handed. Also golf and bat right handed. First sport I played was baseball when I was real young, coach must have had me start right handed and that's the way I stayed.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
hum...

Well, I think the really question is this.....

"What is the percentage of Canadians Shoot left, compared to right shoots and what is the percentage of USA Players shoot left, compared to right?

03-20-2011, 05:06 AM
Maccas

I am completely dominant right handed but for some reason I shoot left.
I used to play field hockey at school and always shot right handed because I didn't really have a choice. When I started looking at playing hockey I picked up a stick and instinctively went for a left hand curve. I've tried right handed sticks since and I actually have a better shot with the righty but for puck handling and passing the lefty is so much better.
Its weird though as I do literally everything right handed but it just feels right shooting left

Maccas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
[QUOTE=Maccas;31786103]I am completely dominant right handed but for some reason I shoot left.

Quote:
I used to play field hockey at school and always shot right handed because I didn't really have a choice.
Well in field hockey, you hold your hand closer together...do you not? Kind of like trying to use a baseball bat, but shorter...right?

Well, in hockey, your hands are separated to take advantage of a fulcrum point leverage. This means that your bottom hand is where the fulcrum is, which allows you to pull the top hand back to make the shot go faster. Normally the dominate hand does the pulling back!

They ( the committee) say that the dominate hand goes at the top. Where I say, the artistic side goes that the top. The bottom hands is only suppose to act like a holding place or device...so to speak.

When stick handling, the bottom hand really shouldn't grip the shaft of the stick, it should be free flowing to allow the top hand to do all of the artistic stuff. Yes there are player that shoot right that have great stick work...don't come back at me and say..Ovechkin and Crosby are right handed shooter and are the best stick handlers in the NHL...are you? Do you stick handle like them? If so, let me ask you, what kind of contract did you set up with your agent and which team do you play for. Can a couple of friends and I get a couple of free tickets and then we will take you out for a couple of beer later.

Now, I will bet that when ask Ovechkin and Crosby, they will probably say..."when I first started, an American was working at the pro-shop where my Dad bought me the stick and when my dad asked which way should my son shoot, the guy behind the counter said..."Ahhhhh, which way does he bat?" Trying to compare a hockey stick to a bat. Have you ever seen a hockey player hold the stick like a bat? Maybe, but you would probably go over to the Dumb s*** and say..sorry, let me help you with this and separate his hands so he can make that stick work properlly.

Ok, but I golf right! Yea...so! Kind of like a "Field Hockey Stick"...right? Yes, but shorter, but the hand placement is the same as a bat! You don't see, a golfer hold the golf shaft down the center of the club...do you? No, you probably go over to the Dumb s*** and say..."here, let me do me a favor, let me show you how you told that club so this way when I and behind you waiting for the next 45 minutes for you to finish the hole, I wouldn't all of a sudden find a ball or a club heading in my direction because you didn't know how to hold a club."

Comparing a hockey stick to any other sport is like comparing Chess to Soccer. Yes I know there is a little bit of strategy in chess and in soccer, but with chess you are not always falling down, rolling around like a chicken with your head cut off, because someone took your Knight and you are looking around hoping that someone will hold up a "Red card".

You know, one of the things they use to teach hockey players on, how to use the stick properly, was to make them place an empty toilet paper roll down the shaft for the bottom hand to hold. This is to teach them not to hold the shaft like a shovel.

Did you know (go ask him) that your local golf pro will tell you to drive the ball with your force hand (top one) with only that hand teeing off. This means you will drive the ball with your left hand. Then your pro will say....Oh, by the way, the bottom hand is the hand that is going to allow you to turn the shaft a few degrees so you can change the path of the ball in flight when you want to get around a "dog leg" with in the course.

Ask a pro baseball player why he moves his right hand down the shaft when he bunts the ball? Have you ever bunted the ball with your hands held together? Ok, so you have tried it. When the ball make contact, did you place the ball where you wanted it go? How did the bat feel when the ball made contact? Did it feel wonderful and "please sir, can I have another?" NOT.

If you go into a pro-shop in Canada, you will see that the majority of the sticks they have on the shelves are left. Why? 80% of the writing world write with their right hand. So you will probably see that 80 percent of their stock are left blades...not right.

Go into a pro-shop in the USA and you will see that there are about equal...50/50. Why? Because some baseball player got hired in a Hockey pro-shop.

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:24 PM
buffalosabresgal
Celebrates Festivus

Interesting thread! Personally, I'm a righty and I shoot right-handed. My best friend, also right-handed, shoots lefty. When I was up to her house this winter, we played pond-hockey (and mind you, all off the sticks are apparently left-handed because she's the only righty in her family) and I ended up playing "backwards" because I can't shoot lefty. I don't know why, seeing as the dominating hand is supposed to pull, but I tend to be a pushing sort of person - with an accurate shot. If that makes any sense.

buffalosabresgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanAtHeart View Post
Interesting thread! Personally, I'm a righty and I shoot right-handed. My best friend, also right-handed, shoots lefty. When I was up to her house this winter, we played pond-hockey (and mind you, all off the sticks are apparently left-handed because she's the only righty in her family) and I ended up playing "backwards" because I can't shoot lefty. I don't know why, seeing as the dominating hand is supposed to pull, but I tend to be a pushing sort of person - with an accurate shot. If that makes any sense.
Same boat here. I really suck and I mean suck with my backhand but compared to my lefty backhand the right one seems like a rocket. Broke my stick this year and had to lend a lefty one tried it and oh boy just couldn't finish anything nor getting the easiest things (pass, tic-tac) right, it was really frustrating.

Though my shot is average I really suck at aiming.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanAtHeart View Post
I don't know why, seeing as the dominating hand is supposed to pull, but I tend to be a pushing sort of person - with an accurate shot.
I see this a lot with hockey player where they hold the top hand still and push with the bottom. You can always see this because generally the player will hold that top hand close to the body rather then taking the top hand and allowing that arm to go to full extension.

When the top hand goes to full extension, it kind of forces the bottom hand to stay closer to the body instead of the other way around. What this does is place the stick into a position to allow the leverage work for you and you not work for the stick.

Example: You have seen that little play toy out at your local park call a Teeter Tauter right? Ok, is you place two kids, one on each side, it will allow them to go up and down...right?

Ok, the reason why this works is due to the center point which is called a fulcrum. This is the balancing point. Now, let say you put two kids on one end and you only place one child on the other.

Well, first, that single child will have to start at center and climb up the teeter tauter to sit down. There is no way that once he get to the top to sit down will he drive the other two kids up in the air unless the two kids on one side are of equal weight of that one child.

Ok, so picture this...you have two kids on one side, but now you change the fulcrum point closer to the two kids. Now what you have done is change the leverage of the teeter tauter to work in favor for that single child.

Well, this property works the same with your stick. When you allow that bottom hand to be closer to the body, to make the fulcrum of the stick work, the top hand must move away from the body. Then, if you keep that bottom hand still and you pull back with that top hand, you are now allowing the leverage to work for you rather them the other way around.

This is why, when you are going to shoot that blistering wrist shoot, you start with the puck 3 or 4 inches passed the back of your skate on the shooting side. How as you bring this puck forward into shooting position, as the puck moves forward, that top arm, locks into position at full extension.

Then, when the puck get into the launch position (at the same alignment of your near skate) you lock the bottom arm and pull back that top hand and now you have the force working for you.

Oh, that all well and done. But I want that shot to be like a Patrick Kane shot. You know, the one that the goalie tries to catch and by the time he moves his hand to catch it, the puck has already come out of the net before he moves his hand. Yeah...that one!

Ok, so how to you get that rocket? This is where the flex of the stick comes into play. As you start to move that puck forward into the launch position, the bottom hand pushes down on the shaft cause the stick to have what's know as back pressure.

Once you get to launch position and you are at the point of release, the shaft acts like a compound bow. You know, it that bow with all of the multiple string and pulleys. When you pull back that arrow, the first 6 to 8 inches it will be difficult to pull that arrow back.

But, just at that point, when pulley system has gone beyond the driving force, you can now pull the arrow back with ease. Now, once you are at the full launch position with the arrow, you let it go of this arrow all of the pull system start to work.

The arrow will launch at a normal rate for the first two feet or so. But once it get to the last 8 inches before it leaves the bow, the pull system increase the force by about ten times and now the arrow will go through a tree. Well, at least stick out the other side.

Well, this is exactly what the flex will do for you if you add pressure to the shaft before launch. When you see a pro getting ready to shoot, you will see him, at that last point of release, he will bend his knee by a couple more degrees, thus allowing him to add pressure to the shaft with the bottom arm going into the lock position and then just at release, he will pull that top hand back while the bottom one stay locked. Right at launch, you roll your wrist so that the stick blade actually point to where you want the puck to go, and it's a rocket. it's kind of like using that stick like a line of sight down the barrel of a gun. Simple mechanics!

Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Waltah*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakket View Post
Hockey: Lefty
Throwing anything: Righty
Batting: Right, but I can bat left
Golf: Right
Writing: Right

Pretty much everything else: Right

So basically hockey is the only time I do anything left handed.
we must be twins. im exactly the same way.

what really trips me up is the golf thing. i play golf righty even though i played hockey before golf.

if i had to use a right handed hockey stick id look like a monkey humping a football.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Waltah*

wow , appears alot are the same as myself. i thought i was an oddball.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:47 AM
krax

I posted this in another thread in 2010:

Lefties are predominant in international icehockey:

2009 entry rosters of the U20 World Championships: shooting or catching left/total number of players per team:
CAN 14/22=64%
CZE 18/29=62%
FIN 20/26=77%
RUS 27/30=90%
SVK 23/30=77%
SWE 22/30=73%
SWI 16/30=53%
USA 16/30=53%

Average 68%

Source: http://www.iihf.com
Not representative, but lefties are more common.

Olympics 2010:
http://www.iihf.com

L/R players and goalies:

BLR 3/23 87%
CAN 8/23 65%
CZE 6/23 74%
FIN 5/23 78%
GER 8/23 65%
LAT 5/23 78%
NOR 5/23 78%
RUS 3/23 87%
SUI 7/23 70%
SVK 3/23 87%
SWE 4/23 82%
USA 11/23 52%

Average: 75% lefties
USA is different from the rest of the world.

NHL 2010: of the 795 (797 total, but two of them have no indication L/R) players in the NHL 2010, 522 shoot left, i.e. 66%.
Source: http://www.nhl.com

Some more about the NHL:
L Defensemen: 187/267=70%
L Centers: 159/217=73%
L RW:39/155=25%
L LW: 140/157=89%
L Goalies: 60/68=88%

source: http://www.nhl.com

88% for goalies is quite surprising. Seems to correspond to the ratio righthanded/lefthanded of the population. Maybe they are not influenced by baseball. Only 1 goalie of the 11 US goalies catches right. 68 is a small number and might not be significant.

krax

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:32 AM
buffalosabresgal
Celebrates Festivus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
I see this a lot with hockey player where they hold the top hand still and push with the bottom. You can always see this because generally the player will hold that top hand close to the body rather then taking the top hand and allowing that arm to go to full extension.

When the top hand goes to full extension, it kind of forces the bottom hand to stay closer to the body instead of the other way around. What this does is place the stick into a position to allow the leverage work for you and you not work for the stick.

Example: You have seen that little play toy out at your local park call a Teeter Tauter right? Ok, is you place two kids, one on each side, it will allow them to go up and down...right?

Ok, the reason why this works is due to the center point which is called a fulcrum. This is the balancing point. Now, let say you put two kids on one end and you only place one child on the other.

Well, first, that single child will have to start at center and climb up the teeter tauter to sit down. There is no way that once he get to the top to sit down will he drive the other two kids up in the air unless the two kids on one side are of equal weight of that one child.

Ok, so picture this...you have two kids on one side, but now you change the fulcrum point closer to the two kids. Now what you have done is change the leverage of the teeter tauter to work in favor for that single child.

Well, this property works the same with your stick. When you allow that bottom hand to be closer to the body, to make the fulcrum of the stick work, the top hand must move away from the body. Then, if you keep that bottom hand still and you pull back with that top hand, you are now allowing the leverage to work for you rather them the other way around.

This is why, when you are going to shoot that blistering wrist shoot, you start with the puck 3 or 4 inches passed the back of your skate on the shooting side. How as you bring this puck forward into shooting position, as the puck moves forward, that top arm, locks into position at full extension.

Then, when the puck get into the launch position (at the same alignment of your near skate) you lock the bottom arm and pull back that top hand and now you have the force working for you.

Oh, that all well and done. But I want that shot to be like a Patrick Kane shot. You know, the one that the goalie tries to catch and by the time he moves his hand to catch it, the puck has already come out of the net before he moves his hand. Yeah...that one!

Ok, so how to you get that rocket? This is where the flex of the stick comes into play. As you start to move that puck forward into the launch position, the bottom hand pushes down on the shaft cause the stick to have what's know as back pressure.

Once you get to launch position and you are at the point of release, the shaft acts like a compound bow. You know, it that bow with all of the multiple string and pulleys. When you pull back that arrow, the first 6 to 8 inches it will be difficult to pull that arrow back.

But, just at that point, when pulley system has gone beyond the driving force, you can now pull the arrow back with ease. Now, once you are at the full launch position with the arrow, you let it go of this arrow all of the pull system start to work.

The arrow will launch at a normal rate for the first two feet or so. But once it get to the last 8 inches before it leaves the bow, the pull system increase the force by about ten times and now the arrow will go through a tree. Well, at least stick out the other side.

Well, this is exactly what the flex will do for you if you add pressure to the shaft before launch. When you see a pro getting ready to shoot, you will see him, at that last point of release, he will bend his knee by a couple more degrees, thus allowing him to add pressure to the shaft with the bottom arm going into the lock position and then just at release, he will pull that top hand back while the bottom one stay locked. Right at launch, you roll your wrist so that the stick blade actually point to where you want the puck to go, and it's a rocket. it's kind of like using that stick like a line of sight down the barrel of a gun. Simple mechanics!

Head Coach
Simple mechanics...I, uhh, find that that's a lot to take in. I understand everything about the fulcrum - I studied levers in 6th grade science, but this, IMO, is going a bit advanced. I actually just started skating this winter, so that little game of pond hockey was only my first time, and I happed to notice that my shot was weird because I was using a left-handed stick with my right hand. I'm a terrible shot when I go lefty, honestly.

I think I'm starting to ramble, but anyways, is there a "simpler" explanation that I can take in?

buffalosabresgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

I'm 30, been playing for 5+ years now.

I'm a natural righty in just about everything (batting, throwing, golfing). I can kinda bat and kick left, but I don't have the power or control I have when I'm right. My weight distribution is much easier to control from my right to left leg.

That said, I'm a lefty in hockey. To this day, I struggle when I do wrist shots because it "feels" so much more natural to whip it right handed. I used my friends righty stick today and I was able to launch it much easier. I felt like I could put more power into the bottom hand and roll the wrists better. I "can" do this left, but it just doesn't "feel" as right. I also think my blade could be contributing to my problem, as the curve on his right stick let me roll the puck much better.

For everything else, most importantly passing and stick work, I do VERY naturally with my left stick. I feel like I have the best control and there's never any question as to which side I should be. I can also slap and snap shots very well with my left stick. Its just the wrist shot that doesn't always come out right.

Weird. I've considered going right for my lower end league team just to see if I can have more success shooting, but I KNOW my stick handling will suffer greatly.

Its kinda frustrating, but I think I just have to keep shooting pucks every day with my left stick until that wrist comes out. I also gotta figure out how to let the stick do the work for me, so that bottom hand doesn't need to be relied upon for power.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Backlund

Originally I shot right but switched to left and have played like that since.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I write with my right hand, And throw a ball with my right hand.

But I shoot left, and swing a club left.

My friend is really messed up.
He writes left, throws a ball right, plays hockey right, plays baseball left, and golfs left.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:38 PM
goalie29

I write right, throw a ball right, play goal "regular" (left hand catch), but bat left, play hockey left, use my left hand to mouse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
What amazes me is guys that play hockey left, and golf right... makes no sense to me. Weight transfer is weight transfer....no?
I'm a natural lefty in golf, but my dad taught me to golf right when I was in junior high. Clubs are easier to come by, and he said (don't know if this is true), that courses are designed with the tendencies for righties in mind because they are the vast majority.

It didn't take long to learn against my natural hand, and it feels perfectly normal to me now. When I'm goofing around with a baseball bat and go to golf a ball sitting on the ground, I even switch hands without thinking about it...

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:03 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I do everything right handed. I would be so lost if I had to use a left stick. It's so uncomfortable for me. I'd have no power or accuracy or stickhandling abilities. Granted my power, accuracy, and stickhandling suck because I suck, but I'd be even worse if I had to do it with a lefty stick.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:01 PM
don28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
...I'm a natural lefty in golf, but my dad taught me to golf right when I was in junior high. Clubs are easier to come by, and he said (don't know if this is true), that courses are designed with the tendencies for righties in mind because they are the vast majority.
Just remember, however, that playing courses as a lefty can be less troublesome on the more difficult courses because they are set up to confound righties who tend to slice frequently.

don28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Supreme

I am right handed in everything but when it comes to hockey I am better shooting left handed, but I can shoot almost just as well right handed.

Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
CGNY87

Primarily left handed.

Baseball/Football: Left handed
Hockey: Right handed stick (left on top)
Frisbee: Right handed
Boxing: Completely comfortable either righty or southpaw
Golf: Left

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Powerforward17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I write with my right hand, And throw a ball with my right hand.

But I shoot left, and swing a club left.
Same for me, and I also kick right in soccer and right handed for racquet sports.

Powerforward17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:06 PM
SirKillalot

I am right handed.

Hockey: left
Soccer: Right(foot)
Batting: Right
Tennis: Right
Golf: Actually can't remember...only played mini-golf. I'm pretty sure it's left.

All of this is because of balance.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:11 PM
PuckHogs29

I'm a righty, I do just about everything right handed except batting in baseball and golfing. Baseball I think came down to being a huge Don Mattingly fan as a real little kid. I wanted to bat like him. All my favorite hitters were lefties or switch hitters. I used to be able to switch hit but I stopped doing it and would have to really practice to bat from the right side again. For golf it feels more comfortable and natural to swing a club left handed, something about my hands being that close together must remind me of a baseball bat.

Everything else is right handed. A left handed hockey stick feels completely foreign to me, as if I'd never even seen hockey before. I can at least stand comfortably in a right handed batter's box, I just couldn't hit a damn thing. The really odd part is I can remember as a kid having a straight bladed street hockey stick, and switching my hands around depending on who I was pretending to be at any particular moment. Now a left handed grip on a hockey stick just gives me the creeps.

Weird huh?

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:17 PM
HolyRollie

Shoot left. Write, throw, kick, bat, righty.

HolyRollie is offline   Reply With Quote