HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Practice line-up today (UPDATE: New lines March 27, post #88)

Old
03-26-2011, 01:47 AM
andy28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Also by burying him in the minors wont help attract new high profile ufas. No one really wants to sign in Montreal as it is. .
I am starting to wonder if this is as big a thing as we make it out to be. Not that UFA's do not want to sign here, but that burying Gomez would make us look unclassy. The whole league knows he is playing like crap and making tons of money for it. You know if I was player who had just been traded away from the Habs, I might be apt to tell my new teammates about how unfair it was that the guy making lots of dough and doing nothing got great minutes, and never once was benched for his mistakes. That kind of thing might sour me more on signing with the Hab, than seeing an unproductive player get buried in the minors. Sometimes its a good to have balls. People who work hard and are productive like it when they see productive people get rewarded.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Sending Gomez to the minors will not make this team play any better unless this team lands someone who can fill a top 2 line center role there is no one in the depth chart atm that can fill that role so don't hold your breath.

Also by burying him in the minors wont help attract new high profile ufas. No one really wants to sign in Montreal as it is. Him and Gionta are pretty tight and just don't see it happening for so many different reasons. Without Gomez this team is out of the playoff race this year too btw.

Gomez will have a better season next year when the defence is healthy.
Anyone who can't accept this post as fact should re-watch the two games Gomez was injured this year. Our puck possession was terrible and we could rarely gain the zone. The number on his paycheck blinds a lot of fans to the positives he brings to the team.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I am starting to wonder if this is as big a thing as we make it out to be. Not that UFA's do not want to sign here, but that burying Gomez would make us look unclassy. The whole league knows he is playing like crap and making tons of money for it. You know if I was player who had just been traded away from the Habs, I might be apt to tell my new teammates about how unfair it was that the guy making lots of dough and doing nothing got great minutes, and never once was benched for his mistakes. That kind of thing might sour me more on signing with the Hab, than seeing an unproductive player get buried in the minors. Sometimes its a good to have balls. People who work hard and are productive like it when they see productive people get rewarded.
Player who are so easily swayed and are scared of having their feelings hurt are not the kind we are interested in anyways. Also I'm not sure how a coach supporting a struggling player will ever look bad to a potential UFA.

Old
03-26-2011, 01:53 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Player who are so easily swayed and are scared of having their feelings hurt are not the kind we are interested in anyways. .
That is my point though when it comes to burying a player in the minors. I don't think it is going to affect whether or not people sign here. People make the argument that if we bury Gomez UFA's will not want to sign here. I would rather play for a team that rewards success. Players that come here or anywhere ought to understand that production is what you get paid for. This is the real world. That is how it works for everyone else.

Old
03-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
That is my point though when it comes to burying a player in the minors. I don't think it is going to affect whether or not people sign here.
Feeling you aren't getting the icetime you deserve and being sent to Hamilton are completely different things. But since I don't have a clue what goes through a UFAs mind you might be right, it just goes against the conventional wisdom.

Old
03-26-2011, 02:11 AM
andy28

Quote:
Feeling you aren't getting the icetime you deserve and being sent to Hamilton are completely different things. But since I don't have a clue what goes through a UFAs mind you might be right, it just goes against the conventional wisdom.
I want Gomez to turn around. And I am not saying I would bury him right now. But lets say this continues into next season. I would try to unload him first, but if there are no takers, I see nothing wrong with freeing up cap space by burying a guy. He still has a contract and still gets paid. No player could fault you for moving a highly paid non-productive player off your roster. UFAs are also attracted to winners. Nothing against Gomez personally, but if you do not play up to par that is what happens. Alot of people on here would play for the Habs free of charge but would not even get sent down to Hamilton (or play for the Habs). No one will cry for them. Being nice is great. But being too nice doesn't help you make any more friends.

I keep hoping this trend with Gomez will turn around. And right now we have to back him up. But when discussing the future, we have to take into account that this problem might not work itself out. And in that case, the Habs have to know how to deal with it.

I also don't think we should sign guys whose feelings are easily hurt. If their feelings are hurt by a team that demands excellence from its highest paid players, then we dont sign them. I would rather not send out a message that you can play for the Habs, get paid one of the best salaries in the league, have lots of ice time, and not produce. That would attract a certain type of UFA, perhaps.

Last edited by andy28: 03-26-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old
03-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Basically, with these lines, AK is screwed.

It's unbelievable how bad everyone plays when they're with Gomez. Never mind how bad Gomez has been this season, everyone around him sucks.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:18 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Picture yourself as a very skilled forward UFA. You are young, not the superstar on your team but your upside and future development is very good.

You imagine yourself playing for Montreal.

You see Benoit Pouliot, a skilled forward with a good shot being benched for making a turnover or taking a penalty. You also see Gomez making the same mistakes and he continues to get the top ice time on the team.

You also look at what happened to Gomez when he was smashed by Marchand and not a single player on the team stood up for him.

Would you still want to come to Montreal?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:26 AM
RushDP

How did a "line combo at practice" thread become a Gomez bash-fest? Even Martin is not spared because he dared to try other combos. You'd think we were in last place for Christ's sake.

Geez, I remember the posts when JM moved AK down with Eller and how that was the worst thing he could ever do to AK and he went on to play his best hockey of the season. Gomez plays a solid game in Boston when the rest of the team didn't show but all he gets is dumped on because he didn't perform the previous games. I know it's frustrating he's having the worst year of his life but the guy can't win on these boards no matter what. Even when he's one of our better players he still gets crucified.

How come I got redirected to the forum rules...did i get an infraction i don't know about or did you all get the same thing?

Hoping for a solid effort and a good rebound now that the season series with the B's is over.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
How did a "line combo at practice" thread become a Gomez bash-fest? Even Martin is not spared because he dared to try other combos. You'd think we were in last place for Christ's sake.

Geez, I remember the posts when JM moved AK down with Eller and how that was the worst thing he could ever do to AK and he went on to play his best hockey of the season. Gomez plays a solid game in Boston when the rest of the team didn't show but all he gets is dumped on because he didn't perform the previous games. I know it's frustrating he's having the worst year of his life but the guy can't win on these boards no matter what. Even when he's one of our better players he still gets crucified.

How come I got redirected to the forum rules...did i get an infraction i don't know about or did you all get the same thing?

Hoping for a solid effort and a good rebound now that the season series with the B's is over.
I got redirected as well, it's because we defend Gomez. It's against the rules! I actually dont mind the lines as long as Eller plays center on the 4th line--he plays way more confidently as a center. and as far as AKost on the Gomez line, well it would be nice to find out if he's able to play well against the other team's better lines and D pairings--it's a good test for him. As i've said before, it would be hard to re-sign him next year if you still didn't know he could be an everyday effective top 6 forward. Playing great on the 3rd line is nice, but you don't pay 3rd liners between 3.5-4 million dollars a year. And yes, this is still about getting Gomez going and getting him a line that works and all that. And no, i don't have a problem with that. Why? Because Philly looked dead to rights around this time last year, and made the playoffs by the seat of their pants last year. But a lot of things came together for them in the last couple of games of the regular season and during that series against the Devils. Everyone thinks it's too late for Gomez to get going, but i don't. All it takes is a couple of good games in a row to turn a player's season around. I don't know for sure if it's going to happen, but I'm not discounting the possibility.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:56 PM
greyboy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Finally an imaginative solution to the problem of not enough size....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask View Post
Rotten team....we can only work with what management has given us!

Luckily we have some good young talent that are developing...Price, PK, Eller, DD,Patches....the rest are expandible

Post of the year.

Last edited by greyboy67: 03-26-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Didn't copy quote properly.
greyboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:28 PM
RE-HABS

I can see a coach making some adjustments here and there, but every line was effected!

Lines should be:

Gionta - Pleks - Cammy
AK - Eller - Moen
Pouliot - DD - White
Halpern - Gomez - Darche

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
ManixLiquid

Lines at practice today:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Halpern
Darche - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - Desharnais - White
Kostitsyn - Eller - Moen

Gill - Subban
Hamrlik - Wisniewski
Mara - Sopel

I would have wished for the first two lines:
Pouliot - Plekanec - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Cammalleri
(or Cammalleri & Gionta could switch places)

Last edited by ManixLiquid: 03-27-2011 at 12:01 PM.
ManixLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Why can't we put Yannick Weber back in the line-up, I'm sure a PMD wouldn't hurt us in such crucial times offensively...

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:10 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManixLiquid View Post
Lines at practice today:

Darche - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Moen

Gill - Subban
Hamrlik - Wisniewski
Mara - Sopel

I was going to say WTF is Kostitsyn on the fourth line for but he's playing with Eller so that is basically our top line right now, the only switch I'd make would be switching Gionta and Halpern... would give us a real line that could actually score and would put Gomez on the fourth line with guys who are providing as much offense as he is.

Cammy - Pleks - Gio
Moen - Eller - AK
Pouliot - DD - White
Darche - Gomez - Halpern

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:11 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Anyone who can't accept this post as fact should re-watch the two games Gomez was injured this year. Our puck possession was terrible and we could rarely gain the zone. The number on his paycheck blinds a lot of fans to the positives he brings to the team.
How about we re-watch the 5 games or so we played without Subban and went 4-1. I guess he really is not valuable at all.

It's really interesting how the Desharnais-Pouliot line never gets touched. Probably tells you Jock has no confidence in either of them to play a bigger role, which I can understand with Pouliot but not DD. Even then I would still like to see Pouliot play with Plekanec. This one scrub on each line is not effective long-term.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:14 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
How about we re-watch the 5 games or so we played without Subban and went 4-1. I guess he really is not valuable at all.
Yeah, we've had some great stretches without gorges and markov, guess they're not important. And really, a 2 game sample size without gomez?

Our puck possession is terrible with or without him.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Those would be my lines :

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Desharnais - Eller
Pouliot - Gomez - White
Darche - Halpern - Moen
I'm gonna say it again, thats how our lines should look like. JM reunited Kosty DD and Eller last night in the 3rd and they played great.

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:45 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManixLiquid View Post
Lines at practice today:

Darche - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Moen

Gill - Subban
Hamrlik - Wisniewski
Mara - Sopel

Better than the last ones.

I'd switch Halpern & Gionta though. Darche & White too.

Halpern - Gomez - White
Kostitsyn - Eller - Moen
Pouliot - Desharnais - Darche

Though I'd be okay with this too;

Kostitsyn - Desharnais - Eller
Pouliot - Gomez - Darche
Moen - Halpern - White

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:51 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Why can't we put Yannick Weber back in the line-up, I'm sure a PMD wouldn't hurt us in such crucial times offensively...
i wan thinking that too

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Native

I'd try something like this:

Cammy - Pleks - White
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
AK - Eller - Moen
Halpern - DD - Darche

working with duos, i think cammy is better off with plecs and white gives alot more grit and energy than halpern.

the second line worked so well for a stretch last year pouliot needs to take on a larger role. his skill and physicality compliments gomez and gio very well.

I like the third line. all have a good physical presence and see it as a the best skill/physical combination.

4th line very responsible defensively, has offensive potential. dd on the pp to get him more time and space.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
nah... I'd like that too but the coach never liked him. He prefers veterans D-men who are more stable ; and by stable I mean immobile...

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:38 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I was going to say WTF is Kostitsyn on the fourth line for but he's playing with Eller so that is basically our top line right now, the only switch I'd make would be switching Gionta and Halpern... would give us a real line that could actually score and would put Gomez on the fourth line with guys who are providing as much offense as he is.

Cammy - Pleks - Gio
Moen - Eller - AK
Pouliot - DD - White
Darche - Gomez - Halpern

This ^^^^

With 6 games left, go all in with your best potential scorers on one line. Darche will go to the net so that may work the best with Gomez.

I expect that we will break out of our scoring slump and it will be the Eller line that does it.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Kboum

Like I said in another thread, its time to put scoring lines and cheking lines. I don't wanna see duos and offense spread on 4 lines.

Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta
Eller - Plekanek - A.Kost
Pouliot - Desharnais - Darche
Moen - Halpern - White

You can switch Eller/Cammy to get some size on both lines. You can try Eller at center.. I know Eller is a lot better at center but he's playing great right now and he's got more offensive skills than Darche or Moen or Halpern... I don't care but right now trying to split a 1$ on 4 different lines isnt doing good

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Drunk World Order

Gomez ass needs to be in the AHL...there's not way he should be out first line centre his play has been horrendous...He's only getting minutes cuz he's making 7 plus a year...sit his ass or send him down...gotta send him a msg!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote