HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Sharks - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-26-2011, 01:27 AM
winning

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Quick has been great this year. Does he have bad games and let in weak goals? Yes, but so does every other goaltender in the NHL.
I agree with much there. He's much improved over last year. I'm not jumping from my chair holding my hair straight up every time he goes to handle the puck. Now I just kind of bite my lip a little and taking a deep breath when he goes to play the puck.

And no end-of season meltdown - most likely having not been massively overplayed throughout the seasons [thanks TM] unlike last and not having to deal with new born in the house.

The soft goals thing always makes we wonder if he is near sighted or something. He stops just about everything up close/down low and out to a certain distance. But those shots just inside the blue line seem to remain an issue. Maybe just some simple glasses could help? Sure would be nice if something simple like that could help - he would really super rock if he could gain the added consistency of stopping those softies.

winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Winger23

I'm starting to worry about a few posters here if Bernier doesn't quite live up to the hype when he starts the majority of the games in a season. Hope they are willing to admit the soft goals he will give up as well, because they WILL happen.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:30 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
I'm starting to worry about a few posters here if Bernier doesn't quite live up to the hype when he starts the majority of the games in a season. Hope they are willing to admit the soft goals he will give up as well, because they WILL happen.
Quick hasn't given management any reason to let Bernier start the majority of the games next season. Quick will likely be the #1 next season, so you can rest easy.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... But it's not just a case of "Quick's dominant in the shootout." As with overall wins, shootout wins is a team statistic.

The Kings' overall save percentage in the shootout is .783, good for 7th in the league. Admittedly, Bernier's poor performance in his two shootouts is driving the team's overall number down. So, let's just use Quick's shootout SV% (.829) for the team total; if we do that, the Kings would be tied (with Pittsburgh) for 4th in the NHL. That's excellent.

But, the Kings' skaters have a shooting percentage of 39.1% in the shootout, and that's 4th in the NHL by itself. If we just isolate the shootouts in which Quick has played, the number gets even better - a 42.5% shooting percentage, which would be good for 3rd in the NHL. So, it's safe to say that the Kings are just as good on offense (if not a bit better, relative to the league) as they are in goaltending in the shootout.

So, I look at it like this - Quick's not carrying the Kings in the shootout, at all. Both the team and the goaltender have been equally good, and actually if you want to break it down like I did - the team has been better offensively and has had slightly more to do with Quick's wins in the shootout than Quick has. It's still my feeling that it's more true to say that Quick has been bailed out by the shootout, and not bailing the Kings out in it.
Good ole stats. Such as the Kings Power Play not being horrible because "statistically" it's good.

Old
03-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Quick hasn't given management any reason to let Bernier start the majority of the games next season. Quick will likely be the #1 next season, so you can rest easy.
IMO it depends on what happens this year if they make it to the playoffs.

Old
03-26-2011, 01:57 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

This Quick/Bernier debate is so tired.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
This Quick/Bernier debate is so tired.
god yes. but it will probably never stop. like someone else mentioned, it's going on on other team's boards, too. debating over goalies is probably one of the most prominent armchair coaching themes. but i do get tired of seeing it in EVERY post game thread.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
They already have happened and always will. But, since it's a learning process, he will get a pass and that's fine because Quick went through it too.
It's so ridiculous to pick apart a goalie right now. But, honestly, I'm not surprised. I just ignore it and move on. We have two capable goalies who can steal wins. Its too bad that some don't seem to want to enjoy that.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:26 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
god yes. but it will probably never stop. like someone else mentioned, it's going on on other team's boards, too. debating over goalies is probably one of the most prominent armchair coaching themes. but i do get tired of seeing it in EVERY post game thread.
I completely agree. Neither fan club will ever change their minds, yet they continue to squabble over it every chance they get. All I'll say is the since the debate has gone on this long, it proves that they are both good goalies. If one of them was clearly trash, we would not have this endless debate.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 03:54 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
That shot by ....... shouldn't have counted.

24.2 Procedure - The Referee shall ask to have announced over the public address system the name of the player designated by him or selected by the team entitled to take the shot (as appropriate). He shall then place the puck on the center face-off spot and the player taking the shot will, on the instruction of the Referee (by blowing his whistle), play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the goalkeeper. The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.
Another reason why it should not count

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote