HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov Contract? - Team 990

Old
03-26-2011, 03:26 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Give him $7.35M and if he gets hurt, we can call up Gomez.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 05:13 AM
Rutabaga

I dont understand how some people could believe that in this kind of situation, a one-year deal is possible.

-First of all, its to show some of respect. Your best player is down, throwing something in order to show that you still trust him is the natural thing to do, something called class, something that matters in the relationship with players/medias/agents.
If you're not looking after your players, dont be surprised when it will come to bite you later.

After going through two serious injuries, you'll look for a safe contract, with 3-4 or maybe more years on it.

-More obvious, its an ultra concurrential world. If you dont want to give him several years, someone else will give him, its a guarantee.
Mitchell, Gaborik, Williams just for the last season are good examples...
And you may look stupid.

-Its the ideal moment to have a big discount. And he's likely to take it. The gamble will be less important for us, maybe allowing us to have even a back-up plan within the team.

-We're in 2011, today, you can go through such an injury. Wisniewski has been seriously injured with his knee 3 times in his career, he's not that bad...
Im not saying that it wont have any effect on him. But you just cant let walk a player like that without trying hard to keep him.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:28 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
No long term deals for Captain Band-aid.

I'm offering 1 year at 4.25

If the Markov camp says no, then trade his rights before July 1.

Can't prove he's durable enough, let alone his career playoff numbers drop drastically from his regular season averages..........

The Markov era is near the end.

The Subban era has begun.
I agree 100%. As far as this loyalty thing goes,we paid him almost $25m for about 2 1/2 yrs of hockey,doesn't he owe us some ? I'd rather spend the money on bigger,tougher mobile d-men like Brewer or Reghier

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:44 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Don't we have enough soft,overpaid players ? I'd use that money and go after a Brewer or Reghier type. Got to stop overating our players.If not we keep spinning our wheels
Look at the skill Markov has? Hard to find.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:45 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
I agree 100%. As far as this loyalty thing goes,we paid him almost $25m for about 2 1/2 yrs of hockey,doesn't he owe us some ? I'd rather spend the money on bigger,tougher mobile d-men like Brewer or Reghier
No you didnt, neither the Habs... there's this thing called insurance you know...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:51 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Look at the skill Markov has? Hard to find.
Had,you mean,maybe still has,but I don't want to tie up another $5-6 m,multi yr contract on a risk.Incentive laden contract is the way to go. i am more into team than individuals

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Bingo!! (and if Brewer and Regehr can be iron-men I'd sign one of them anyday over Markov).

Do we really need to add another 3 years of his absence?? (and at a costly $5,75mil/year).

It's also costing us 2nd Round Picks every season (to replace him).

$4mil/year for 1 year (or $8mil for 2 years, MAX.) is more than fair. He'll have more than enough $$$ to buy more mansions and more Porsches to add to his collection.

Loyalty my ***. When is the last time a player was in this situation (always injured and still collecting $5,75mil/year) and showed loyalty to the team when negotiating a new contract??? (and as if $4mil/year is ''Canadian Tire'' money).

Halak has done more for our Habs in last year's 2 playoff series VS the last 5 years of Markov. Plus, Markov has always been VERY average in playoffs...if he is even healthy for them.

Sign an iron-man Dman...this is what we need to go as far as possible in playoffs in the next 3-4 years.

Get rid of all the glass-men...the team comes first and our quest for the Cup is more important than being loyal to glass-men.

Markov is dragging our team down and using up our 2nd Round picks.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:29 AM
andy28

Quote:
Had,you mean,maybe still has,but I don't want to tie up another $5-6 m,multi yr contract on a risk.Incentive laden contract is the way to go. i am more into team than individuals
Ozymandias actually raises a pretty good point, though, concerning the way his injury was handled this time. The last time they patched the problem, which made it a high risk for re-injury. This time around he got the ACL from a donor. It would be as good as new.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Krnage

lock Markov for 1 more year

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I really don't mind Markov getting 3 years. Giving him only one year would be seen as an insult by him and his side. It's not his fault he got injured and if he comes back healthy and only one year? He may as well turn back the next year and sign somewhere else. Also if he would be healthy he would be signed for probably 5-6 years. Worst case scenario if he gets injured again down the line, after three years he's scott free and the Habs wash their hands over him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:22 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Markov is dragging our team down and using up our 2nd Round picks.

Dragging the team down... that's a good one

2nd round picks ? You mean only 1 second round pick... we could say that our lack of 3rd line centres make us lose 2nd round picks.

You guys are cracking me up. Markov is an all-star defenceman and if it wasn't for freak injuries, he would have won a Norris by now.

He was our MVP before going down and if his knee can hold on, he's Top 10 D in this league.

...if his knee gives up another time... he's gone and so will his salary. But I guess that here in Mtl, we can't have all-stars, it's much better to have little players with big hearts, that will play 80 games...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:46 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Maybe it's just me but I just don't think Markov is very good at "taking a hit". I wouldn't call his injuries freak except for the cut. The Grabovski, Cooke and Staal hits all injured Markov's knee. And he also injured his back prior to the Olympics.

Having said that I don't mind at all if the Habs sign Markov at a reasonable rate and term but I just hope they don't build the D around him. If the Habs sign Markov, which it sounds likely, then the biggest skates that need to be filled are Hamrlik's.

Amongst all of Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Hamrlik, Wiz, Sopel, Mara, Spacek, Weber, Picard only three of those guys have strong two way games: Markov, Subban and Hamrlik. If Hamrlik is gone and not replaced properly and Markov gets injured then Subban will have a tough time picking up the slack. That's what I fear if Markov is re-signed. Another legitimate top 4 two way d-man needs to be signed IMHO.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

Dragging the team down... that's a good one

2nd round picks ? You mean only 1 second round pick... we could say that our lack of 3rd line centres make us lose 2nd round picks.

You guys are cracking me up. Markov is an all-star defenceman and if it wasn't for freak injuries, he would have won a Norris by now.

He was our MVP before going down and if his knee can hold on, he's Top 10 D in this league.

...if his knee gives up another time... he's gone and so will his salary. But I guess that here in Mtl, we can't have all-stars, it's much better to have little players with big hearts, that will play 80 games...
Well, dragging the team down in that he's never around and Price, Hamrlik, Subban, Gorges all have to carry the team on their shoulders...

Hard for you to believe, but...I'm a Markov fan but I just don't want to see our Habs take a risk with a player who has become a box that has 1000 stickers on it marked ''extremely fragile...handle with extra care''. Even if his knee will be a 100%, it will be his shoulder next time or his back or his neck or his other knee,etc, etc...HE IS JUST TOO FRAGILE.

Especially when we'll need money for our true MVPs (Price, Subban, Goeges...).

Feel like taking a risk...sign Gorges to a 4 year deal.
I'm sure he won't be as greedy as Markov. (I hope I'm right!).

Habs and quest for Stanley Cup >>>>>>> Markov (very average in playoffs...in fact he has never really showed up for it).

Old
03-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Ozymandias actually raises a pretty good point, though, concerning the way his injury was handled this time. The last time they patched the problem, which made it a high risk for re-injury. This time around he got the ACL from a donor. It would be as good as new.
A dead donor

He actually got it from a corpse. Definetly not as good as new, just a different medical technique from his previous surgery.

The fact that he will return much longer after the surgery this time will help to make sure its more solid. He should be ready by early summer, so he has the entire summer to reinforce it.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Maybe it's just me but I just don't think Markov is very good at "taking a hit". I wouldn't call his injuries freak except for the cut. The Grabovski, Cooke and Staal hits all injured Markov's knee. And he also injured his back prior to the Olympics.

Having said that I don't mind at all if the Habs sign Markov at a reasonable rate and term but I just hope they don't build the D around him. If the Habs sign Markov, which it sounds likely, then the biggest skates that need to be filled are Hamrlik's.

Amongst all of Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Hamrlik, Wiz, Sopel, Mara, Spacek, Weber, Picard only three of those guys have strong two way games: Markov, Subban and Hamrlik. If Hamrlik is gone and not replaced properly and Markov gets injured then Subban will have a tough time picking up the slack. That's what I fear if Markov is re-signed. Another legitimate top 4 two way d-man needs to be signed IMHO.
Finally!! I was surprised no one ever wrote this (above in bolded).
Markov (to me as well) never learned how to PREPARE for a bodycheck, does not know how to take a bodycheck.

He may be an all-star with skills/hockey sense (cerebral), but he's a novice when it comes to preparing himself for bodychecks. He can learn a thing or two when it comes to ''taking'' a bodycheck from Subban, Harmlik and Gorges.

Someone YouTube all the hits that injured Markov...it should make Gauthier think twice before signing him to $5,75mil/year

And loyalty?? What about Hamrlik? No loyalty towards him? (Hamrlik has done a lot for our Habs, incl. playoffs).

All-star (Markov):
Markov's an all-star for the regular season, but...for playoffs Markov is Mr. Invisible (never saw the playoffs warrior show up for the real season, never).

I'd take another Gorges instead of signing Markov anyday.
ufa?/Hamrlik - Wiz??
Gorges - Subban
Hamrlik and/or Gill - Gorges
------------- ----------------------
Spacek
Sopel
Mara
Weber

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-26-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old
03-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
-First of all, its to show some of respect. Your best player is down, throwing something in order to show that you still trust him is the natural thing to do, something called class, something that matters in the relationship with players/medias/agents.
If you're not looking after your players, dont be surprised when it will come to bite you later.
Well, Markov has made over $25mil from the Habs, well deserved, but he's done alright for himself. And the team seems to have done their part during his rehab. I don't think they owe him anything, it's been a good relationship for both parties. At this point it's time for cold logic, IMO.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:09 AM
BLONG7

He wants to stay...this is a no brainer, and his agent is just trying to negotiate the best deal possible...nothing new here guys...he will be back!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:18 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Sigh. There are some serious rules against that. The Leafs got fined for that.

He can't talk of precise (Wsh) outside interest before July 1st other than mentioning the possibility of receiving (any) offers after July 1st, which then becomes a case of the interest of the parties, which is usually, in the case of offers before the open market, done on the belief that both parties want a signing, which then makes the threat of waiting till July 1st contrary to the spirit of wanting to find grounds for agreement. So your theory is based on the assumption that Meehan will dangle the possibility of July 1st, which I think is highly unlikely, especially if Markov WANTs to stay.

Here again, you're basing yourself on a rumored assumption. Meehan didn't say Markov refused to sign one year. He said that there will not be any negociations until the season is over. Dates on a calendar are important, because they give the Habs quite enough time to talk to Markov and settle on common grounds, without any other teams having anything to do with their talks.
Clearly you understand the Law. I admire your knowledge, and your confidence in the Law.

But dude, having lived right next to China the last 16 years, I can tell you, where money is involved, people will cheat. They will break the Civil Law every time.

I respect your knowledge, but in fact I'd be shocked if Markov was not contacted and given offers, with no evidence trail, before July 1.

This is absolutely happening with every big free agent, no question.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
He wants to stay...this is a no brainer, and his agent is just trying to negotiate the best deal possible...nothing new here guys...he will be back!
Last year:
many Hab fans (not me) were saying ''this is a no brainer...Halak has to be signed to a long term deal, he's the goalie of the future''

This year:
''Gauthier is a genius for keeping the right goalie and getting Eller and Schultz.'' (Brodeur: ''Vezina should go to Price'').

''He will be signed...he will be back...he loves it here'',etc, etc...:
Souray, Kovalev, Komisarek, Halak, etc, etc...
(all of the above leaving were all great for our Habs).

Old
03-26-2011, 09:23 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I love Markov, but I wouldn't be opposed to replace him with Ehrhoff if need be.

Hamrlik - Wiz
Sopel - Subban
Gorges - Ehrhoff
Weber

We can get by without Markov. Of course I want him back, but I don't think he's the be all end all like he was a few years ago.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
To those who are afraid of losing Markov:
We lost him 2 years ago...not Markov's fault but he is made of glass (extremely injury prone).

That Grabovski bodycheck that seriously injured Markov should tell us everything...he's made of glass. $5,75mil/year is waaaaaaaay too much of a risk for the team. Replace Markov with an iron-man top 4 dman.

Next season:
Top 4 iron-man(ufa) - Wiz??
Hamrlik or Gill - Subban
Gorges - Sopel
----------- ----------------
Spacek
Mara
Weber
M.Carle

3 years at $5,75mil/year...too HUGE of a RISK. And...we need that money for PRICE and PK SUBBAN.

Top 4 iron-man d-man (3-4year contract) >>>>>>>> Markov (made of glass and very average in playoffs)

Markov's value before July 1st? : maybe we can get a 2nd Round Pick from Washington? (signing rights).
Example: Wiz + 2nd Round Pick >>>>>>> Markov (very injury prone AND very average in playoffs).

Maybe Iron Man him self can come and play for us.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:27 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Clearly you understand the Law. I admire your knowledge, and your confidence in the Law.

But dude, having lived right next to China the last 16 years, I can tell you, where money is involved, people will cheat. They will break the Civil Law every time.

I respect your knowledge, but in fact I'd be shocked if Markov was not contacted and given offers, with no evidence trail, before July 1.

I agree to an extent. NHL GMs are of the old school variety and would probably play the game fair.

If not, then it is easy for someone like George McPhee to let someone like Ovechkin know they are targeting Markov in the offseason. Plus a player like Markov and his big time agent probably understand that every team in the NHL would want him, it all comes down to money.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post

Negotiating with a player from another team before July 1st...

Some teams respect the rules or just don't want to get caught (same difference?), and other teams cheat and get away with it. Some (probably a few, not many) cheat and get caught.

Leafs got caught and were fined...
How did they catch the Leafs? and what was the fine?

Boston (I'm sure) can get away with this...Bettman will look the other way for Boston.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:32 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

2yrs, one at 4m, one at 5-5.5 (good faith), and extend from there if it's a good idea.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:33 AM
bsl

Quote:
Wrong. I disagree with both of you. The upside with Marky is huge. He might do 3-5 more years of 60 + points a year. And the Canadiens can afford money risks, unlike most teams. We should take advantage of that. I can't stress more how important that advantage is for us, and we should start using it.

Don't forget Chelios. He had bad knee problems all the time early on. He then proceeded to play 23 years after the Trade From Hell. And that was not with today's medical skill.

Sign Marky. 5 a year 4 years. 5.5. Whatever. He blows the knee for good, big deal. Molson has to sell 0.001% more beer to pay for it.

Caveat: Sign another D this summer near Marky's level. Expensive? Yes. But we need insurance this year in case Marky blows a tire again.

No question, sign Marky. The upside is huge, downside is minimal. Absolute no brainer.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote