HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In praise of Shane O'Brien.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:15 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
With Cube already signed for next year
I don't like this. I always thought Cube was a short term bandaid. Why did we end up locking ourselves into him for next year? Were there really so many other bidders we had to make sure we had such a prize player locked up? I'd rather have SOB.

Cube is a decent player, but he's aging and his grit is not as effective for our team as SOB leaning on people.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 04:02 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I don't like this. I always thought Cube was a short term bandaid. Why did we end up locking ourselves into him for next year? Were there really so many other bidders we had to make sure we had such a prize player locked up? I'd rather have SOB.

Cube is a decent player, but he's aging and his grit is not as effective for our team as SOB leaning on people.
we got a known commodity at a reasonable price. Sure, now that we are sure that Blum is the real deal he looks superflous, but at the time we signed him we didnt know that Blum would make it, and when we signed him we didnt have SOB yet(I dont think) and we were wondering if Parent was good enough or healthy enough to hold down a spot

worst case scenario Cube is a reasonably priced veteran 7th d man. nothing wrong with that

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 04:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

O'brien is gone next year. let's look at what's there now.

Weber-Suter Lock
Blum has looked like a #3 NOW
Klein can play #4 d-man NOW

That means this team really needs a 5-6-7

#7 is Laakso, with the Sulzer trade and Laakso's RFA status.

#5 or #6 is Franson which is perfectly fine.

So that leaves Boullion to play the #5 or #6 position which is perfectly fine. And note, there are two guys who will be scratching at the backdoor in Josi and Ellis so O'brien and his 1,6 million tag can go to pay for forwards.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:19 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Funny, my buddy texted me last night about how much he loved SOB because he is physical and "tackles" everybody in the crease. I agree. He makes some "terribly timed" penalties, but his toughness is awesome.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:53 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

This thread's timing is very strange. It doesn't appear until SOB is at his lowest point in terms of value to the team.

SOB started off strong. He looked fantastic for a third pairing guy, and even looked like he would be a decent second pairing dman. And then some switch went off in his head. He suddenly turned into the player all of the Canucks fans warned us about. He's trying too much. He's pinching entirely too often. O'Brien is supposed to be the stay at home defender that complements Franson's offensive game, but instead he started acting like he's freakin' Bobby Orr. I love his toughness, too, but I hate his stupidity. The guy is like a less valuable Hartnell or Nichol. Stupid, stupid, stupid penalties. He absolutely has to play more disciplined hockey for the rest of his time here (which as BFC has said will be ending once our season/post season ends)

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:58 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
O'Brien is supposed to be the stay at home defender that complements Franson's offensive game, but instead he started acting like he's freakin' Bobby Orr.
Heh - I keep referring to him when he breaks up the ice carrying the puck as Orr, too, and my son keeps asking me why.

His toughness is nice, but his head is gonna' kill us in the POs.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:25 PM
roseyc

SOB toughness which this team didn't have last year more than makes up for his penalties. Even Weber didn't have that toughness now he shows learning from SOB. Toughness can't be taught and cleaning out the crease was a big problem with this team for the last 5 years. San Jose series both was example of this that we were pushed around and with SOB we no longer are being bullied. Where Klein stays away from contact.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:30 PM
OpenWheel

Poile's drafting has filled the pipeline so we can easily replace SOB's toughness with guys like Ryan Ellis.

Old
03-27-2011, 07:17 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Poile's drafting has filled the pipeline so we can easily replace SOB's toughness with guys like Ryan Ellis.
Ellis is an offensive defensive how does that replace toughness or you don't understand toughness. Toughness wins in the playoffs

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:38 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Ellis is an offensive defensive how does that replace toughness or you don't understand toughness. Toughness wins in the playoffs
You didn't understand the purpose of the smiley emoticon I see. I was saying we don't have guys to replace SOB coming up anytime real soon.

Old
03-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
You didn't understand the purpose of the smiley emoticon I see. I was saying we don't have guys to replace SOB coming up anytime real soon.
Swing and a miss...

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

If SOB can play like he did last night in every game from here on out I don't have a problem with him. He only took one penalty, and it was an offsetting roughing call. I'm all for that. That is when toughness makes up for penalties. When you're clearing the crease and take a penalty here and there, yes toughness does make up for penalties. When you're crosschecking guys in the head, spearing guy's in the face, or taking lazy penalties when we're already down a man nothing makes up for it.

He had a decent game last night. I hope he can keep focused

Old
03-27-2011, 12:41 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If SOB can play like he did last night in every game from here on out I don't have a problem with him. He only took one penalty, and it was an offsetting roughing call. I'm all for that. That is when toughness makes up for penalties. When you're clearing the crease and take a penalty here and there, yes toughness does make up for penalties. When you're crosschecking guys in the head, spearing guy's in the face, or taking lazy penalties when we're already down a man nothing makes up for it.

He had a decent game last night. I hope he can keep focused
And in taking that offsetting penalty, he took one of their better players off the ice for two minutes.

We need some toughness on the back end. As much as I'd love to see Weber, Suter, Klein, Blum, Josi and Ellis on the back end some day, they're a little small and cream puffy. Having a guy like SOB on the third pairing is a good fit. It adds some grit. It adds a guy who protects Rinne at all costs. Regardless of whether a guy is in Rinne's face or not, SOB is pushing guys out of the way and protecting his keeper. I'm good with that.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Well... I erased four different potential posts instead of sending any of them. This is a SOB appreciation thread so I guess I'd better stop with the negativity. He had a decent game last night. Let's hope he keeps it up...

Old
03-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Dodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And in taking that offsetting penalty, he took one of their better players off the ice for two minutes.
That's EXACTLY what I said when he took that penalty.

Shane went to the box but he took MORROW with him. Too bad they couldn't have put the "3rd man in" on that scrum in the box as well. (was it Benn?). Stupid refs.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Pred303

will give obrien credit on the coincidental penalty he took last night as well.. you could plainly tell he was trying to goad morrow into taking a penalty.. he had pushed morrow out of the crease first and then just stood there taking a couple of crosschecks and shoves after the whistle trying to draw two minutes for the team. was a good attempt and showed good temper discipline, even if it didn't work.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:36 PM
predfan24

It's funny seeing opinions on SOB. It's almost exactly what we saw from Canuck fans. Opinions are all over the place. Some love him and some hate him. He must just have that effect on people.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
It's funny seeing opinions on SOB. It's almost exactly what we saw from Canuck fans. Opinions are all over the place. Some love him and some hate him. He must just have that effect on people.
Or just some really indecisive people!

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:32 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
will give obrien credit on the coincidental penalty he took last night as well.. you could plainly tell he was trying to goad morrow into taking a penalty.. he had pushed morrow out of the crease first and then just stood there taking a couple of crosschecks and shoves after the whistle trying to draw two minutes for the team. was a good attempt and showed good temper discipline, even if it didn't work.
He even drew a 3rd guy in that came flying in from the blueline. I can't believe the refs didn't see that.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

SOB is like a much more valuable version of Cale Hulse. We used to call Hulse the "Raging Ball of Hormones". Probably the worst timed penalties in team history.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:00 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Or just some really indecisive people!
or more likely he is a mixture of good and bad and those who like him extol the good and those who dont point out the bad.

I liked him early in the year. I like him less now. But regardless I dont think he fits into our long term plans if his "fair market" value is above his current 1.6 mil

I suspect he has done well enough here and avoided controversy to a sufficient extent that, defense usually being in demand in the offseason, someone will give him a multi year deal at around 1.75-2 mil a year, and even if we could afford that next year, with our prospects coming along, we really dont need that much tied up in a third pair guy for multiple years.

Hes another guy like Zanon... just good enough to be too expensive for the role he would play here

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:43 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
My opinion as to why there are varying views on SOB is because:

Power Forwards and physical Dmen TAKE PENALTIES.

That is what makes them effective. I know some of you may not like it that he takes penalties. But I would rather have a guy clear out the crease and take a penalty for it than have their guys whacking away at Pekka/or at his rebounds. If he puts the thought in the back of their minds that they will get hit (and get hit HARD) by SOB, then they will be hesitant about going to the net as they will be punished when they get there.

Same goes for Power Forwards. An effective one knows how to get in there and get 75-100 PIMs a year and put up 50+ points (mostly on garbage goals). They aren't 75-100 PIMs that come from hooking, slashing, tripping, high-sticking, etc. penalties. They come from dirty penalties (roughing, interference, fighting, cross-checking, boarding, elbowing, etc.).

So for me, I LOVE how SOB plays. He is extremely effective at what he does. And we need a guy to do what he does. Badly... I'd love for Weber to do more of it, but we need him on the ice. SOB, we can live without on the ice if he wants to fight, or rough, or cross-check. It is funny that we often hear that our guys don't take up for each other or take the body around the net. Well, this guy does, and then we complain about the PIMs he gets from doing it? Baffling...

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

We used to not have any enforcer defensemen, then we had the dilemma of "do we want Weber to be that guy?" Well the answer is no, because there are plenty of guys in the league who are able to do what we wanted him to do.....who aren't one of the best players on the team. And SOB is that guy. He fits in great and does what he's supposed to do. Every team should have a defenseman like him, or at least a team like ours.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
SK74 Snipes

Roman Josi anyone?

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:42 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgie View Post
That's EXACTLY what I said when he took that penalty.

Shane went to the box but he took MORROW with him. Too bad they couldn't have put the "3rd man in" on that scrum in the box as well. (was it Benn?). Stupid refs.
Yeah, it was Benn.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote