HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

congrats D-Steps!

View Poll Results: What will Derek Stepan develop into?
An All-Star 26 19.26%
A nice first liner 38 28.15%
A great second liner 68 50.37%
An ok second liner, just a little better than now 3 2.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-26-2011, 12:23 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
congrats D-Steps!

20 goals as a rook. hopefully the first of MANY 20 goal seasons in your career.

am i alone in thinking that this kid will be rocking an 'A' within the next 5 years?

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Derek Stepan: Our Future #1 Center

Derek Stepan just scored goal #20 and point #41 on the season as a 20-year-old. As far as I'm concerned, he's already a decent second liner. I think he'll be our first line center, maybe as early as next year.

Forget Brad. He'll want 6-7 years at a ridiculous salary (that's what all the UFAs want... fans always want to sign UFAs for an RFA salary, but that's just amateurish thinking). He will likely want $7-9 a year. I do not want to be paying $8 to Brad when he's 37 years old. It will be as harmful as the Drury signing. Sure Drury was not as good as Brad at 31, but Brad will want a longer contract and mid-way through it, he'll be as useless as Drury.

Anyway, this post was not supposed to be about Brad. It's about Stepan, our real first line center.

Give the kid time. We ain't winning the Cup this year, and probably not next year, with or without a marquee free agent signing.

Let Step develop and you'll be much happier with him than with any overpaid UFA.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Regardless of the final result of this season, it's been a joy watching rookies like Step, Sauer, and McDonagh step into the lineup without a hitch.

(OT: So bummed that I was out of the area when Wild Flag came to Atlanta. Never got to see Sleater-Kinney, so I was doubly looking forward to that show.)

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:35 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

I think he can develop into a first line center and I'm not saying this just as a fan of his. It would be nice to see Richards on the team because he'd be a good top line center and can possibly help teach some of the young centers like Stepan and Anisimov. Though if Richards asks for too much, he may not be worth it at his age.

Derek has had a terrific rookie season and apparently Torts likes him. If he puts on a few pounds and works on his speed a bit, he could be deadlier. Hopefully he can build up some chemistry with Gabby and Prospal over the next few weeks because I really have faith in that line.

After getting 20 goals and 21 assists, I'd think there's on room for improvement for Derek and hopefully he can keep increasing his numbers.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:41 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I think it depends on whether or not he starts making plays like he did in college and at the WJC. He hasn't been using his smarts the way I had hoped he would, for the most part. If his playmaking comes together, he could become a first liner, but otherwise, his ceiling is much lower.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think it depends on whether or not he starts making plays like he did in college and at the WJC. He hasn't been using his smarts the way I had hoped he would, for the most part. If his playmaking comes together, he could become a first liner, but otherwise, his ceiling is much lower.

I don't think you start getting cute in your rookie season. I think you you around for a year, avoid mistakes, make basic plays. In the coming years, he'll do his college/WJC stuff and that's when his first line potential will come through.

Old
03-26-2011, 12:56 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I don't think you start getting cute in your rookie season. I think you you around for a year, avoid mistakes, make basic plays. In the coming years, he'll do his college/WJC stuff and that's when his first line potential will come through.
The thing is, he wasn't really a player who "got cute" from what I watched of him. He made smart plays and put the puck in the right place at the right time. He hasn't been doing that enough this year.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
The thing is, he wasn't really a player who "got cute" from what I watched of him. He made smart plays and put the puck in the right place at the right time. He hasn't been doing that enough this year.

He was more assertive at the lower levels. In the NHL, he's been more careful. Even if I knew nothing about the Rangers, I could tell that he's a rookie. But that will go away.

Old
03-26-2011, 01:43 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Once he gets more familiar with his teammates, and gets more comfortable in the NHL, his playmaking will show. I agree he hasn't exhibited it that much this year, but he has shown he is very capable of scoring goals at the NHL level.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

If you commit to Derek Stepan as the #1c next season, you're comitting to another year of fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot, you're committing to wasting a year of Lundqvist, and - worst of all - you're committing to a lottery ticket. And this is coming from someone who really likes Stepan's game.

I just dont know what it is...is the fanbase so scarred from overpaying guys that didnt deserve it that they dont see a legitimate talent when one becomes available via free agency? Because Brad Richards is just that - a guy that would be worth the investment, for once.

Or is it that theyve fallen so far in love with this prospect base, that they legitimately think these guys can get the job done themselves at some point down the road?

One or both of these lines of thinking will lead to a consistent stream of mediocrity - fighting for a playoff spot every year where more than half the teams make the postseason

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you commit to Derek Stepan as the #1c next season, you're comitting to another year of fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot, you're committing to wasting a year of Lundqvist, and - worst of all - you're committing to a lottery ticket. And this is coming from someone who really likes Stepan's game.

I just dont know what it is...is the fanbase so scarred from overpaying guys that didnt deserve it that they dont see a legitimate talent when one becomes available via free agency? Because Brad Richards is just that - a guy that would be worth the investment, for once.

Or is it that theyve fallen so far in love with this prospect base, that they legitimately think these guys can get the job done themselves at some point down the road?

One or both of these lines of thinking will lead to a consistent stream of mediocrity - fighting for a playoff spot every year where more than half the teams make the postseason

You are searching for an answer to, "what the hell is wrong with people who disagree with me?" and naturally aren't finding what the real answer is.

The real answer is that with or without Brad, next year, the Rangers won't win the Cup, won't make the Finals, and probably won't win more than one round. If they get into the East Finals, it will be a major achievement. With or without Brad.

The time to bring in UFAs, and even trade youth-for-age is when the team is peaking. That will happen in 2-4 years from now. By then, Brad will be too old and too overpaid, and will actually prevent the team from winning the Cup.

In 2 years, I will support signing a Brad Richards quality player. But not now. Not if it will not lead us to a Cup today, and prevents us from winning one in 3 years.

Old
03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Pizza

It is great that he reaches this mile stone as a rookie, but his defensive zone play is a huge plus for the team. It will pay big dividends in the future.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:40 PM
WeWillWinTonight

More than happy with him this year, I think eventually he can be a solid 2nd line center.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 03:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He scores his goals by being smart. I'm comfortable that as he gets more acclimated to the nhl he will use those smarts for playmaking as well.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Considering his all-around game, if he scores 30g-35a, the guy is a first liner. Not a great first liner, but a decent one. I really think he has a chance to be a 70+ point two-way player. The kid is great. He's way overperformed what we expected his rookie season.

Old
03-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

once we get Brad Richards, hes not sniffing the first line ;-)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
once we get Brad Richards, hes not sniffing the first line ;-)

Midway through Brad's 7-year contract, he'll be doing his best Drury impersonation.

Old
03-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
You are searching for an answer to, "what the hell is wrong with people who disagree with me?" and naturally aren't finding what the real answer is.

The real answer is that with or without Brad, next year, the Rangers won't win the Cup, won't make the Finals, and probably won't win more than one round. If they get into the East Finals, it will be a major achievement. With or without Brad.

The time to bring in UFAs, and even trade youth-for-age is when the team is peaking. That will happen in 2-4 years from now. By then, Brad will be too old and too overpaid, and will actually prevent the team from winning the Cup.

In 2 years, I will support signing a Brad Richards quality player. But not now. Not if it will not lead us to a Cup today, and prevents us from winning one in 3 years.
I disagree. On the assumption that Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Staal, Girardi, Sauer and McDonagh continue to improve (or at least play as well as they did this season), the addition of a guy like Richards could be just what pushes this team from being a good one to being a real playoff threat. You add him, and the Rangers have a really well-balanced scoring threat across several lines.

It's not like Richards is 100 years old and on the downslope of his career -- he's 30 (the same age Messier was when the Rangers picked him up, remember).

The Rangers have been bitten on the UFA market before, but the way to build a winner remains a balance of drafting and key acquisitions -- you can't just concentrate on one and then the other.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Stepanformayor*

Where do you guys think there going to get the money to pay Richards? You can not have another 7 million dollar guy on this roster. A pay day is coming for Sauer, Arti,Dubi,Cally Boyle. We already have Drury, Gabby, Hank making 7 million a year. They can not afford to pay him unless you upset everything they have built with the home grown guys.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 04:48 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Where do you guys think there going to get the money to pay Richards? You can not have another 7 million dollar guy on this roster. A pay day is coming for Sauer, Arti,Dubi,Cally Boyle. We already have Drury, Gabby, Hank making 7 million a year. They can not afford to pay him unless you upset everything they have built with the home grown guys.
Cap increasing plus a buyout of Drury definitely makes it possible. Even if they don't buyout Dru, it may still be possible but they'd be cutting it close.

As for D-Step, he'll be a really good 2nd liner. He doesn't have the talent to be a first liner but the talent he does have combined with his hockey smarts will make him a really good 2nd line center.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I disagree. On the assumption that Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Staal, Girardi, Sauer and McDonagh continue to improve (or at least play as well as they did this season), the addition of a guy like Richards could be just what pushes this team from being a good one to being a real playoff threat.

Some of the players you mentioned are pretty close to their peak (Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal). They are already in their mid-20s, with several seasons under their belt. Dubinsky will hit close to 60 points this year and Callahan is on pace for 70. How much more will they improve?

The real improvement will come from rookies like Stepan, McD and Sauer, as well as prospects like Kreider, Thomas, Werek.

But none of that will happen next year. The team will not hit its peak for another 3 seasons. That's when it's worth signing UFAs.

Old
03-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Olympic nut

Back on D-Step: at this point, he's not going to be a legit 1st-liner in the next year or two. It's likely he won't develop into the type of player who can be a 1st-liner on a top team, but I don't see why he can't be one of those players who can play on the 1st line, but is best suited to 2nd-line minutes.

These discussions kind of odd in the context of this Rangers team, because Torts really doesn't have a 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, 4th line kind of system. In any given game, one line or another might be your de facto 1st line.

Old
03-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Cap increasing plus a buyout of Drury definitely makes it possible. Even if they don't buyout Dru, it may still be possible but they'd be cutting it close.

As for D-Step, he'll be a really good 2nd liner. He doesn't have the talent to be a first liner but the talent he does have combined with his hockey smarts will make him a really good 2nd line center.

I think Step will be better than Dubinsky, and I see Dubi as a great second liner. I think Step will be a 70-75 point producer.

Old
03-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Some of the players you mentioned are pretty close to their peak (Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal). They are already in their mid-20s, with several seasons under their belt. Dubinsky will hit close to 60 points this year and Callahan is on pace for 70. How much more will they improve?

The real improvement will come from rookies like Stepan, McD and Sauer, as well as prospects like Kreider, Thomas, Werek.

But none of that will happen next year. The team will not hit its peak for another 3 seasons. That's when it's worth signing UFAs.
How old do you think a player is when he hits his prime years? Generally, players have their prime years between 27 and 32. Dubi is 24, Cally just turned 25, Marc Staal is a young 24, Anisimov is 22.

If these guys are at their peaks, then they've peaked really young. I'm not saying their games will change radically - they are very good players now - but all of them can still improve in one area or another, and will do so as they become veteran players.

Old
03-26-2011, 05:29 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Midway through Brad's 7-year contract, he'll be doing his best Drury impersonation.
Indeed. Here's to hoping we don't give him a NMC in addition to the lengthy contract.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote