HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Henrik with Legitmate Shot at Vezina???.....FINALLY??

Old
03-26-2011, 07:05 PM
turcotte8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
It's pretty sad that there is always one goalie who plays out of his mind for one season and beats Hank out for the Vezina. He's arguably been the most consistent goalie since the lockout.

I think if anybody could give Thomas a run for his money it would be Rinne. His stats are getting pretty close to Thomas.

Just for reference:

Thomas:
GP: 51
SV%: .938
GAA: 2.02
Shutouts: 8

Rinne:
GP: 57
SV%:9.29
GAA:2.10
Shutouts: 6

Lundqvist:
GP:61
SV%: .924
GAA: 2.24
Shutouts: 11
One guy we're leaving out of the discussion who should be in it is Luongo.

56 games, 2.18, .927, 35 wins, 3 shutouts

Although he may lose some votes for being on such a good team.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
If he can get 3 more shutouts the vezina is his.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
If he can get 3 more shutouts the vezina is his.
3 shutouts is a lot in 6 games.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:05 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
One guy we're leaving out of the discussion who should be in it is Luongo.

56 games, 2.18, .927, 35 wins, 3 shutouts

Although he may lose some votes for being on such a good team.
If Luongo is considered in the race for the Vezina, then Price should be as well.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:10 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
If Luongo is considered in the race for the Vezina, then Price should be as well.
Yep, forgot about him. There's probably 6 goalies who can be nominated, they all have pretty similar stats.

Thomas
Lundqvist
Rinne
Luongo
Price
Bryzgalov

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Based on the fact that only two goaltenders have reached the 11 SO mark since the mid-70s. Lundqvist should be a sure thing fo the Vezina. Unfortunately, I still don't think they'll give it to him.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:50 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I think Henrik is going to garner more Hart votes than Vezina, only because Thomas was so dominant for 3/4 of the season.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Yep, forgot about him. There's probably 6 goalies who can be nominated, they all have pretty similar stats.

Thomas
Lundqvist
Rinne
Luongo
Price
Bryzgalov

IMO Bryz is the weakest of the bunch there. That's not neccesarily a knock on him.

Thomas/Hank/Rinne would be my 3 finalist right now.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Canjo
AVA

he should get a nomination, he very well could win matched up with Rinne and Thomas, but unfortanately, he just wont, a lot of people (myself included) think he is just as deserving as Thomas but for different reasons (shutouts, workload, and consistency for Hank, out of your mind stats for Thomas), long story short, Thomas will win, I dont want him to, but unfortunately, he had a great year. this could have been the kings year, but his reign will continue for a long time, he will win it eventually.

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
rangersfan111

I previously stated that Lundqvist has a very small shot at vezina but if he continues his play for the last 6 games he could definitley do it. If he could some how hit the .926 sv percentage mark and end up with 36 wins and a 2.20 gaa he will get nominated. If he can beat out Rinne in either the sv percentage or gaa categories he will get a serious look. I will be watching alot of Nashville and Vancouver games down the stretch. Hopefully both of them can have a horrible game and ruin their individual statistics.

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
3 shutouts is a lot in 6 games.
yeah, and if he does get it, his sv% will probably jump up to like .932 or something lol, in which case he should win it based on his overall numbers even without the shutouts.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Fataldogg

The Vezina race, right now, is between Thomas, Rinne, Lundqvist, Price, and Luongo w/ goalies like Hiller and Bryzgalov on the outside looking in.

Personally, I wouldn't award Thomas with the Vezina. I don't think goalies who only play 50-55 games should win the Vezina. It isn't a fair comparison, to goalies like Price, Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, etc, who will all play ~ 70 games. There is a big difference between a goaltender playing 50-55 games and 70 games. I think work load, in my opinion, should be considered. Again, I personally thought Thomas didn't deserve his first Vezina (especially when a guy like Backstrom puts up fantastic numbers, in the same ball park of Thomas, over 71 games).

I think Henrik will get nominated this year, if he plays well through the last six games. But, he won't win it. Thomas will win it, because of excellent numbers over a light work load. And that isn't taking anything away from Thomas, he's been outstanding this year, but I just don't think it's a real fair comparison.

EDIT: And you know what the sad part is? Guys like Price and Lundqvist, who carry their team on their back all season, don't even get considered for the Hart over 80-point forwards. Miller, not even being a finalist, was a complete snub. Goalies who carry their team, all season long, need to get a lot more recognition. The Hart shouldn't be the "Who got the most points in the NHL" award aka an additional Art Ross award.

Last edited by Fataldogg: 03-26-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
The Vezina race, right now, is between Thomas, Rinne, Lundqvist, Price, and Luongo w/ goalies like Hiller and Bryzgalov on the outside looking in.

Personally, I wouldn't award Thomas with the Vezina. I don't think goalies who only play 50-55 games should win the Vezina. It isn't a fair comparison, to goalies like Price, Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, etc, who will all play ~ 70 games. There is a big difference between a goaltender playing 50-55 games and 70 games. I think work load, in my opinion, should be considered. Again, I personally thought Thomas didn't deserve his first Vezina (especially when a guy like Backstrom puts up fantastic numbers, in the same ball park of Thomas, over 71 games).

I think Henrik will get nominated this year, if he plays well through the last six games. But, he won't win it. Thomas will win it, because of excellent numbers over a light work load. And that isn't taking anything away from Thomas, he's been outstanding this year, but I just don't think it's a real fair comparison.
i wonder what Henriks numbers would be if you subtracted his worst 20 games ;-)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post

I agree completely. A goalie should have to play 75% of the games to warrant consideration unless he missed time due to injury or he was a backup who took over the starting job a couple months into the season.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I hope he wins it. He has been sensational and deserves it.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:51 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Lundqvist should have at least a LITTLE leverage over the fact that thomas plays for a contender and lundqvist plays for a "boderline" team and has managed to add-up 11 shutouts so far.

He's definitely getting at least nominated though.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
When 1/3 of your wins are SO's it's pretty impressive.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:35 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
Just making sure that people realize that the process isn't like academy awards where you get a nomination and then vote on those people. They just invite the top 3 vote getters to the awards ceremony and those are considered "the finalists".

But to stay on topic, I think Hank is garnering some votes with his play as of late. He's been the backbone of an injury riddled team all year and has stepped up his play lately. Not sure if he can overtake Thomas or Rinne but I'm hoping.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:45 PM
OverTheCap

I was surprised that Thomas won the Vezina in 2009 after playing in so few games. However, his competition was pretty weak that year. Steve Mason and Nicklas Backstrom were the other nominees. Mason and Backstrom's GAA and save percentage from that season wouldn't even be good enough for top 5 in the league this season.

Thomas will face much stiffer competition this year than he did in 2008-09. There are at least 5 goaltenders who would be worthy Vezina candidates. I think he may be penalized for playing in less games than his competition, especially because his peers have managed to put up impressive numbers while playing at least 10 games more than him. Would Thomas be able to maintain his current save percentage and GAA if he played as many games as Lundqvist? I doubt it.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:45 PM
gluvhand

I think Lundqvist may actually receive more MVP votes than Vezina votes, which I would be fine with, but if he doesn't finish in the top 3 Vezina voting something's wrong.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Richierich262

Send a message via AIM to Richierich262
Henrik For Vezina Facebook Like Page

Like this page! Pass it on!

Lets get this group packed...if you're a ranger fan you know that this is way overdue and that this guy deserves it.

No need to say anything negative, either join it or dont.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hen...51010401628270

Last edited by Richierich262: 03-28-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Richierich262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
It would probably be a good idea to give people the link..

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Liked.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote