HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sam and Joe appreciation thread

Old
03-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Shadowrunner

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Sam and Joe appreciation thread

I feel this is necessary after watching today's Bruins feed. Whether you like Joe or hate him, he is nowhere NEAR the level of homerism of other broadcasters, especially color guys.

If you had listened to the Bruins' broadcast on the radio, you would think that the Rangers sold every single penalty that was called against them, all the while demolishing the poor innocent Bruins without any repercussions.

You would think that Milan Lucic is a Lady Bing finalist, and that Dubinsky and Boyle are world class divers.

You would think that Tortorella is a grade A hypocrite for b***ing about Flyers diving, while his own team is a bunch of dirty little diving cowards.

Finally... and to me this was mind-boggling to hear from a professional broadcaster... when Bergeron ran into Henrik, Jack Edwards went into a long speed arguing that, because of the tight playoff race, Ramsay and Tortorella would allow Lundqvist to stay in the net even if he appeared to be injured or had concussion symptoms, rather than let an inexperienced goalie replace him.

I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing, and I think my ears were bleeding toward the end. So let us celebrate Sam and Joe -- the classiest, least homerific broadcasting crew in hockey!

/rant over

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

In before the JD nostalgia. Joe is a great color guy, and Sam is a great play by play guy. Absolutely nothing to complain about.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

vCash: 300
Love Sam.

But Joe is ****ing annoying as hell. Every ******* shot is "did that deflect off of somebody"? Just listen closely. He'll say it at the least, 10 times.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:51 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I don't really mind Joe.

Sure he is a bit of a homer but nowhere near the level of Chico, Jack Edwards, FSN Pittsburgh. He is also generally very knowledgeable about the game.

03-26-2011, 07:52 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

sams great, love hearing that guys voice night after night.

joe on the other hand, is a complete moron, from the outside looking in youd think hes a homer until you realive how much of a god damn idiot he is. hes as predictable as an nhl 11 announcer and says the stupidest ****. he talks about plays that happened minutes ago as if they just happened and harps on every little thing TIME after TIME all game long. he literally makes me want to pull my hair out, no exaduration.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:53 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
I feel this is necessary after watching today's Bruins feed. Whether you like Joe or hate him, he is nowhere NEAR the level of homerism of other broadcasters, especially color guys.
If you had listened to the Bruins' broadcast on the radio, you would think that the Rangers sold every single penalty that was called against them, all the while demolishing the poor innocent Bruins without any repercussions.

You would think that Milan Lucic is a Lady Bing finalist, and that Dubinsky and Boyle are world class divers.

You would think that Tortorella is a grade A hypocrite for b***ing about Flyers diving, while his own team is a bunch of dirty little diving cowards.

Finally... and to me this was mind-boggling to hear from a professional broadcaster... when Bergeron ran into Henrik, Jack Edwards went into a long speed arguing that, because of the tight playoff race, Ramsay and Tortorella would allow Lundqvist to stay in the net even if he appeared to be injured or had concussion symptoms, rather than let an inexperienced goalie replace him.

I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing, and I think my ears were bleeding toward the end. So let us celebrate Sam and Joe -- the classiest, least homerific broadcasting crew in hockey!

/rant over
Wow. Just wow.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Love Sam.

But Joe is ****ing annoying as hell. Every ******* shot is "did that deflect off of somebody"? Just listen closely. He'll say it at the least, 10 times.
No, the quote is, "I'm not sure that wasn't deflected/off of."
He goes double negative. Which is awesome.

People hate on Joe because they think it's cool to hate on Joe. It's completely undeserved. Go watch another color guy for a few games and then try *****ing about Micheletti.

He knows the game, does his homework (does more homework than 99% of the other color guys out there), knows the other team, has great chemistry with Sam, is a thoughtful guy, not a homer by hometown color guy standards, and just comes across as a nice and respectful guy.

Old
03-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
sams great, love hearing that guys voice night after night.

joe on the other hand, is a complete moron, from the outside looking in youd think hes a homer until you realive how much of a god damn idiot he is. hes as predictable as an nhl 11 announcer and says the stupidest ****. he talks about plays that happened minutes ago as if they just happened and harps on every little thing TIME after TIME all game long. he literally makes me want to pull my hair out, no exaduration.
That's what color commentary is... If you don't like it you don't like color commentary. That's not a knock on Micheletti.

Play-by-play is what is happening right now, Color is adding onto that. Going in depth on things that obviously had to already happen.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:00 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
That's what color commentary is... If you don't like it you don't like color commentary. That's not a knock on Micheletti.

Play-by-play is what is happening right now, Color is adding onto that. Going in depth on things that obviously had to already happen.
color commentary is talking about what just happened and talking about it a little after, during a replay etc. not talking about something that was funny that happened in the beginning of a period and continuouslly mentioning it throughout the period like he does, and its always dumb ****.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
color commentary is talking about what just happened and talking about it a little after, during a replay etc. not talking about something that was funny that happened in the beginning of a period and continuouslly mentioning it throughout the period like he does, and its always dumb ****.
I don't like Joe, but you're wrong. It's analyzing everything down to the core.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Blue Line Monster

They're certainly not homers. If anything, they praise the other team too much. It gets pretty annoying.
Especially the praising of the opposing goaltender in every game. By just listening to Joe you'd think every loss was because the other goalie stole the game. Every bad angle shot with nobody screening the goalie is, "ooh, Rask had to be sharp there, didn't he Sam?" He doesn't seem to realize we just don't get many scoring chances in most games.

That's just the most annoying thing he does imo.

edit: And since this is an appreciation thread, I do agree they're one of the better duos even though Joe annoys me. Some other teams guys are just awful, like Chico..

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

My personal favorite line from the NESN team was when Bergeron ran Henke, and Staal went and wrestled Bergeron off him, the one NESN guy goes "and for some reason Staal feels the need to bear hug Bergeron!" Uhhh maybe because Bergeron just ran Staal's goalie? And that thing about Ramsay and Torts regarding Lundqvist was a COMPLETELY unprofessional thing to say.

As far as Sam and Joe go, I'm fine with them except for their refusal to criticize the Rangers when criticism is due.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:57 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

/rant over

Every color guy on a regional telecast is a homer. It's their job. Joe is no different.

He's said some pretty stupid things the last few years, but his Dan Girardi "goal" against the Devils sealed it for me.

It's a shame he doesnt do NFL telecasts as well so we can get a break from him once in a while.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:59 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Every color guy on a regional telecast is a homer. It's their job. Joe is no different.

He's said some pretty stupid things the last few years, but his Dan Girardi "goal" against the Devils sealed it for me.

It's a shame he doesnt do NFL telecasts as well so we can get a break from him once in a while.
Don't you mean Brandon Dubinksy "goal"? Are you referring to the game earlier this year where he thought we scored against the Devils late, late in the 3rd, but it really went off the post?

Old
03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Don't you mean Brandon Dubinksy "goal"? Are you referring to the game earlier this year where he thought we scored against the Devils late, late in the 3rd, but it really went off the post?
It was last month -- yeah you cant do that to a fan late in a game with a lot on the line unless your absolutely sure.

Major homer announcer fail.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:05 PM
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
It was last month -- yeah you cant do that to a fan late in a game with a lot on the line unless your absolutely sure.

Major homer announcer fail.
Oy, tell me about it. I actually thought it went in at first as well, and Joe screaming that it did only made me more anxious for a review. Got my hopes up for nothing.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Edwards also made a joke about Hobey Baker dying. Sam is still one of the best pbp guys in the league, imo, and I have no problem with Joe.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Tawnos

Jack Edwards always reminds me of that guy that we all know who doesn't have a particularly keen mind for the game, but is still the loudest and most opinionated person about it in any room.

Joe can be pretty bad at times, but there are a lot of moments where he does have great insight. I think he would actually make a great sideline-type reporter.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
these are the best 2 announcers in sports behind Gary Keith and Ron

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:05 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:

/rant over
I am SO glad you started this thread. I live in Providence, RI and took the opportunity to watch the game on NESN (when I usually watch the games on my computer.) I could not believe some of the crap they were saying...

I really thought they were going to start crying after the missed offside call before Stepan's goal. They thought that Dubinsky and Boyle should have been kicked out of the game for diving, and one of them groaned SO loud when Avery knocked down Campbell in their fight. And they're joking about Lundqvist having to go to 'the quiet room' for 15 minutes and how the Rangers would NEVER allow him to come out of the game for "a goalie with less than hour of NHL experience, Chad Johnson" was just out of line...

These guys are just awful, awful announcers. I should have searched online for some feed of the NY broadcast instead of listening to their crap...

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
I'm not going to love Joe simply because he is less awful than most commentators.

Most of the time he is tolerable. Sometimes he bugs me though. I like Tampa Bay's color guy and Buffalo's color guy.

03-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I'm not going to love Joe simply because he is less awful than most commentators.

Most of the time he is tolerable. Sometimes he bugs me though. I like Tampa Bay's color guy and Buffalo's color guy.
Well, you should IMO. Everything is relative. Imagine having Boston's or Pittsburgh's color guy instead of Joe. I would have concussed myself long ago from all the I'd be doing throughout every game.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
MorrisWanchuk

i have no idea why people get annoyed by Joe. And it's not because i'm easy going - nearly everyone else annoys me. he just doesn't - i quite like him. just listen to chico or butch ...

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:11 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Joe is less bad than many around the league. Still somewhat annoying though.

Sam is great. He's beginning to slip though. Has a real hard time identifying players now and sometimes struggles to keep up with the play. I love him still.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I usually am stuck watching the away team feeds to get the HD. So its been a season of away game feeds. That being said the Bruins were by far the worst with the most complaining.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote