HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Injury Thread - Kopitar (Out for Season), Williams (Out 4 weeks), Parse (Day to Day)

Old
03-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
To those that have lost all hope, just remember:

Doughty - Mitchell
Johnson - Scuderi
Green - Martinez

Quick
Bernier

This is the foundation of this season's success, and it isn't cracked or broken.
I like what you're saying, but let's be practical. That isn't going to save us against a Vancouver or Detroit. Doughty and Johnson have contributed very little in offense over the past six games. There are two sides of the equation, and we have one of the weakest offenses out of the playoff bunch, and we just lost our biggest and most lethal offensive weapon who was 16 points ahead of second place and second place is out with injury too! I hope the Kings win the Stanley Cup, like every other Kings fan, but realistically we would need to see crazy odd-defying **** to sniff the second round. Phoenix, Nashville, and San Jose are the three likely teams in our range right now for the postseason. All of those teams will require many goes scored against and each one of them has become adept at lighting us up over the past few years....

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Orenji

vCash: 500
If we get Nashville or Phoenix, I still think we're better. Williams could be back for the start of our 1st round series.

If we face the Canucks/Wings/Hawks in the 1st, we're in bad shape if we don't play out of our heads, but I think we can beat the Preds and Coyotes. Won't be easy at all, but we can score by committee just like them.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
If we get Nashville or Phoenix, I still think we're better. Williams could be back for the start of our 1st round series.

If we face the Canucks/Wings/Hawks in the 1st, we're in bad shape if we don't play out of our heads, but I think we can beat the Preds and Coyotes. Won't be easy at all, but we can score by committee just like them.
The odds certainly aren't impossible, but we wouldn't be much of a favorite in any of those matchups. We would need offense from unlikely places. It will be up to the team to answer the call or not. For Kopitar! GO KINGS!

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:

Doughty - Mitchell
Johnson - Scuderi
Green - Martinez

Quick
Bernier

This is the foundation of this season's success, and it isn't cracked or broken.
... Actually it isn't - but hey, have fun. You don't have to believe me, either. You'll find out really soon.

The reliance that's put upon Kopitar game in and game out goes much deeper than the points he puts up on the board. If there's any one player who's currently the foundation of the Kings, it's Anze.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Actually it isn't - but hey, have fun. You don't have to believe me, either. You'll find out really soon.

The reliance that's put upon Kopitar game in and game out goes much deeper than the points he puts up on the board. If there's any one player who's currently the foundation of the Kings, it's Anze.
Some people are seriously out to lunch and you got it right though. Acting as though this isn't an absolutely HUGE blow to this team right now is ridiculous. We might rag on Anze for a lot of things but the system runs through him for the most part. It's as bad as it can get this time of year but it's good for Anze in the sense that he should recover fully.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
no name

Well this seemed like an impossible scenario since Kopitar is our superman but it will build character. The team is too dependent on Ante so we will see what everyone is made of. It is sad that Loki got injured, Look went down, we can't bring up Schenn. I bet theKings are slowed to call up Schenn. There justisnt any realisticoptions otherwise. I kind of wish we hadn't traded our first now

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:51 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Lebrun just said on HNIC that he spoke to DL and he said no call-ups right now, Westgarth will go into the lineup.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Lebrun just said on HNIC that he spoke to DL and he said no call-ups right now, Westgarth will go into the lineup.
ummm. WTF.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Nex06

Quote:

Doughty - Mitchell
Johnson - Scuderi
Green - Martinez

Quick
Bernier

Ummm, in ice hockey today defense is more than just D+G. You do realize the importance of forwards in the defensive system under Terry Murray I hope? And it includes wingers with their own defensive responsibilities, let alone centers, who are sometimes back before the dmen...

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:57 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
ummm. WTF.
Is that a joke?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:03 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Good season, guys, get your clubs out.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:05 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

This is awful, but it will show what the rest of the team is made of. The Pens learned to step up without their best players, so let's see if we can too. It just sucks that it had to happen at this point in the season where there is no room for error. The team is going to have to step up right away and keep at it. Luckily, the Oilers are a great play to start. I'd be nervous if our next game wasn't against a trash team.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:12 PM
DatsyukOwns
Hero

Sorry to hear about Kopitar.
He is one hell of a player and good luck with the season, hoping you guys will make the playeroffs and kick the crap out of vancouver

DatsyukOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Is that a joke?
wait, why would it be? did i miss something?

if westy is the only change to the lineup (besides the shuffling of lines), that makes me worried...

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:17 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Ummm, in ice hockey today defense is more than just D+G. You do realize the importance of forwards in the defensive system under Terry Murray I hope? And it includes wingers with their own defensive responsibilities, let alone centers, who are sometimes back before the dmen...
Yep, I do and we have a lot of forwards that know how to play defense. Don't get me wrong losing Kopitar is a big loss and he is good in his own zone and responsible defensively. It hurts no doubt, but the Kings are going to have to hunker down and play even tighter.

This is a good opportunity for guys like Lewis, Moller, and Richardson to be in a situation where they will get a chance to show more offensive flare.

Since I wasn't expecting a cup run this season even with Kopitar it's hardly the end of the world. Kopitar's long term health and development are much more important. In the long run this can be a positive for some of the other young forwards on the team.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:20 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
You're the last one that I thought would throw in the towel.
... It's not about throwing in the towel, it's just a question of what's realistic here. Obviously, there's certain things that possibly could happen - this is the nature of sports; you never really know for sure what will transpire from game to game. Maybe Penner or Brown or Simmonds or whoever will get hot, or perhaps they all will. Maybe Quick goes lights out, and runs the table like he did in the first couple months of the season. But, there are tangible reasons why I can't count on those things to happen. Not only that, I see that Westgarth is going to be permanently in the lineup going forward. See, it's things like this that just make me shake my head and say "Well, OK. Have fun with this, but forgive me if I don't invest myself emotionally any longer this season."

I'm still going to hope for good things to happen to the Kings, of course. I just don't see them taking place. For those who want to say "hey our defensemen are good, our goalies are good, what's the problem that's our foundation", hey - I won't lie, I'm pretty shocked that people who supposedly have been around the game a long time would say things like that, but whatever. Hockey is a balance. If there's too little defense, eventually the offense will look worse. If there's too little offense (and this isn't limited to scoring goals), the defense will look worse. Neither element of the team, offense or defense, act independently of the other. As a matter of fact, you cannot HAVE one without the other. Kopitar was like a control tower, a point of origin from where the Kings ran their offense, and from where the Kings formed their first line of defense. With the puck on his stick, Kopitar forced the other team's players on the ice to think and act defensively, and what better defense is there? I hope that the Kings can continue their success somehow, but there really isn't a player (other than Doughty) who can really scare the opposition into thinking defensively the way that Kopitar can. I don't think it's going to be a pretty sight out there.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:20 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

You guys are insane if you think we can do anything in the playoffs now. At most, only if Quick goes into god mode, we make a first round against Nashville or maybe Phoenix interesting. Any other team and we are done in 5.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Orenji

Lombardi is gonna wait till after the Oilers game to make any chances or call-ups. We should be able to beat the Oilers without Kopitar (not saying it'll happen), but I think he wants to see a full 60 minutes and see what this squad is made of.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:22 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Because my dad, and his guys bust their ***** to get the ice to a playable level when sometimes having as few as 4 hours to do so. I read reports on an almost nightly basis, the officials rarely say it's anything but "average" to "good".
Well then. Maybe your dad will share tonight's ice report with you and you can share it with the rest of us and that'll be that.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

I know you like to put words in other people's mouth, but no single player is the foundation of an entire organization. It's a big loss for sure. I never said Kopitar isn't a core player. It is what it is, and other forwards on the team should look at this is an opportunity.

Defense is the foundation of the team and that comes from the net out and the system that Murray has preached from day one.

Ooooooo, what exactly am I going to find out real soon. That the Kings can't win a game without Kopitar? I think they will.

Old
Orenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
You guys are insane if you think we can do anything in the playoffs now. At most, only if Quick goes into god mode, we make a first round against Nashville or Phoenix interesting. Any other team and we are done in 5.
What makes Nashville or Phoenix better than us? I think we still have better offensive talent than Nashville and on paper, should be even with the Coyotes. If Doughty steps up his game, we should be fine.

If we can just stay out of the 7/8 spot, we'll avoid the Canucks/Wings. We have a good shot against any team in the 4/5/6 range not named Blackhawks.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:26 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I like what you're saying, but let's be practical. That isn't going to save us against a Vancouver or Detroit. Doughty and Johnson have contributed very little in offense over the past six games. There are two sides of the equation, and we have one of the weakest offenses out of the playoff bunch, and we just lost our biggest and most lethal offensive weapon who was 16 points ahead of second place and second place is out with injury too! I hope the Kings win the Stanley Cup, like every other Kings fan, but realistically we would need to see crazy odd-defying **** to sniff the second round. Phoenix, Nashville, and San Jose are the three likely teams in our range right now for the postseason. All of those teams will require many goes scored against and each one of them has become adept at lighting us up over the past few years....
I think the Kings can and will give a good accounting of themselves in the first round. It wasn't like there were any guarantees in the first round even with Kopitar in the lineup.

There are all kinds of positives that can come out of this long term. Don't become too fatalistic about it.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Lombardi is gonna wait till after the Oilers game to make any chances or call-ups. We should be able to beat the Oilers without Kopitar (not saying it'll happen), but I think he wants to see a full 60 minutes and see what this squad is made of.
60 minutes against the worst team in the league? Man, I hope Dean doesn't base much off of that.

Quote:
What makes Nashville or Phoenix better than us? I think we still have better offensive talent than Nashville and on paper, should be even with the Coyotes. If Doughty steps up his game, we should be fine.

If we can just stay out of the 7/8 spot, we'll avoid the Canucks/Wings. We have a good shot against any team in the 4/5/6 range not named Blackhawks.
We are, at best, equivalent to each of them now, with both Kopitar and Williams out. Even if Williams comes back for the playoffs, who knows how good he is going to be. If he's the Williams from last playoffs, we're worse.

"any team in the 4/5/6 range not named Blackhawks?" That's looking like Nashville or Phoenix.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Scott Parse Kenobi, you are our only hope

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.