HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any chance Markov is back by the playoffs?

Old
03-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
There are two ways in which Markov can miss the playoffs:
1) He isn't ready physically, or
2) The Habs don't qualify, so all of them, injured or not, go home.

I'll be in Prague in the latter part of April, so if the Habs don't make it I'll have fewer regrets about missing NHL games while I'm gone. Ideally, the Habs do make it and watch them in the second round when I return.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

I hope not because he would probably trip over the blueline and tear up his other knee......

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:59 AM
prairie hab

I am of the belief that Markov will never play another game in a Habs uniform.........

Subban is the future.

Markov's rights traded before July 1 - or - sign and trade once medically cleared.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
I am of the belief that Markov will never play another game in a Habs uniform.........

Subban is the future.

Markov's rights traded before July 1 - or - sign and trade once medically cleared.
Who cares if Subban is the future when Markov is the only elite skater we have in the present.

This team NEEDS Markov. Hope he will be in good shape next season.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Avim86

Quote:

Subban is the future.

Yeah great logic there , we have one rookie that has near Markov potential , thus we must trade Markov for something else , why can't we have two good defenseman rather then 1...

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:37 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
Does Markov really need to come to Montreal, wearing his Habs practice equipment, to do a light skate?
What would you like him to wear an Ovie jersey???

He's still under contract to the Habs, our trainers are overseeing his rehab.

Oh ya and we have a world class training and rehab facility.

Quote:

Subban is the future.

Yes because we have such a great D that moves the puck well and of course our PP is just humming right along!

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze*: 03-27-2011 at 11:13 AM.
nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Gally11

I don't even want him to come back this year... Let him rest and come back to form so we can have an elite defense man next year.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:17 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
I don't even want him to come back this year... Let him rest and come back to form so we can have an elite defense man next year.
For seven more games.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Subban76

Quote:

Subban is the future.

Is there an NHL rule that I don't know that prevents a team from having 2 top defensemen?

Habs with Markov AND Subban =

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Pascal

There's about 0 chance that Markov is just "shipped out" ASAP for some return. It's a lot more likely the team and the player have a lot of respect for each other and will want to sign a good deal for both sides. What deal that is will depend on how much risk the team is willing to take vs what kind of security Markov needs.

It's a risk for both sides. Given the fact Markov has always been a solid and reliable part of the team for a number of years and he loves it here, I doubt he's going anywhere.

And I doubt he's going to play this season again, it's way too risky and he's probably very rusty.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:04 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
Does Markov really need to come to Montreal, wearing his Habs practice equipment, to do a light skate?
Training with his NHL team, with NHL quality facility, with his team doctors who know what he should do?

I think so.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

As some others said I don't want him back this year. Let him get 100% healthy. He's our best player so let's think about next year for him...

Little Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:27 PM
marvelousmotion

Even a Markov not at 100% would be a great addition to this current team..

Too bad we never really got to see the dividends of having both Markov and Subban on the team over a long stretch of games. It would have made the team and PP so much better.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I know he his skating right now but I really doubt we see him this post season.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:12 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Did Markov skate with the team yesterday? LOL

Because "he's skating he will be back for the playoffs" is just false hope. Even if he'd come back it would be unwise to have high expectations. He's underperformed when basically healthy anyhow.

Old
03-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
There are two ways in which Markov can miss the playoffs:
1) He isn't ready physically, or
2) The Habs don't qualify, so all of them, injured or not, go home.

I'll be in Prague in the latter part of April, so if the Habs don't make it I'll have fewer regrets about missing NHL games while I'm gone. Ideally, the Habs do make it and watch them in the second round when I return.
Prague is beautiful...very nice, cheap alcohol in big portions too I loved the food while I was there too.

As for Markov...I don't see him coming back this year, but this bodes well for him next year. Unlike many, i'm very anxious to see him back on the ice and want to see him retained by the Habs at all cost!

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:27 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Prague is beautiful...very nice, cheap alcohol in big portions too I loved the food while I was there too.

As for Markov...I don't see him coming back this year, but this bodes well for him next year. Unlike many, i'm very anxious to see him back on the ice and want to see him retained by the Habs at all cost!
Markov's agent calling: "7 mil for 5 years?"

Old
03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I highly highly doubt Markov would return this year, even if we were to be in the Cup finals. The skate is nothing more than him rehabbing, even though it's odd he was in full gear. He likely just wanted to be extra cautious.

BUT, for the conspiracy theorists... Habs could be re-stating the "out for the season" line for salary cap reasons... Not that they would have to or anything, since just saying he's out till the playoffs would be good enough. But Markov's salary would put us over the cap, and they may not want anyone speculating he's being held out till round 1 to circumvent the restriction.

I don't believe this is a reason, and I don't expect him back (hopefully still in Montreal) till the Fall, but just adding a little fuel to the fire.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Markov's agent calling: "7 mil for 5 years?"
Be realistic...that's not gonna happen.

There's no reason both sides can't come to an agreement, he wants to stay in Montreal...Montreal wants him back.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Subban is the future.

The Ducks truly were imbeciles to have both Niedermayer and Pronger in their lineup for a while

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Hermamoud

I don't understand what are the "risks" that the Canadiens have in offering a new contract to Markov? Isn't it the insurance that's paying if he's injured?

And why are some fans so eager to get rid of him? Elite #1 d-men grow on trees in Montreal?

Hermamoud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Craig71

Quote:

Subban is the future.

I agree with you, however I don't see him signed and traded, I think he will walk away on July 1st just like Komisarek did. The Habs may make him an offer but I can't help but wonder if a guy like him would like to test the market to see what is out there for him. If Lidstrom were to retire, you know Detroit would make him a great offer. I could see him wanting to be elsewhere, he has endured some lean years in Montreal and it might be time for a change. I hope he stays but not suprised if he goes.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I don't understand what are the "risks" that the Canadiens have in offering a new contract to Markov? Isn't it the insurance that's paying if he's injured?

And why are some fans so eager to get rid of him? Elite #1 d-men grow on trees in Montreal?
This. I understand fans that wouldn't want to take a risk on Markov when you could use the cap space to pick up a different "elite #1 d-man", but who is there that could fill his shoes on the market this summer?! Kaberle, Pitkanen, and Ehrhoff are the only ones who could come close to taking on the role IMO, and I would easily take Markov over any of them.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
This. I understand fans that wouldn't want to take a risk on Markov when you could use the cap space to pick up a different "elite #1 d-man", but who is there that could fill his shoes on the market this summer?! Karberle, Pitkanen, and Ehrhoff are the only ones who could come close to taking on the role IMO, and I would easily take Markov over any of them.
Not only that, but it's an elite #1 d-man who loves the city, the fans and who even became a Canadian citizen. We always complain about players hating to play here. There is an all-star defenceman right now in the organization and people want to get rid of him?

Hermamoud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I agree with you, however I don't see him signed and traded, I think he will walk away on July 1st just like Komisarek did. The Habs may make him an offer but I can't help but wonder if a guy like him would like to test the market to see what is out there for him. If Lidstrom were to retire, you know Detroit would make him a great offer. I could see him wanting to be elsewhere, he has endured some lean years in Montreal and it might be time for a change. I hope he stays but not suprised if he goes.
Markov's not going anywhere...take it to the bank