HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Questions about skates for kids.

Old
03-26-2011, 03:23 PM
johnny1976

vCash: 500
Questions about skates for kids.

My sons year ended a couple of weeks ago and he just started a spring league. As I was getting my son ready to go out on the ice today the head guy came up to me and made a comment on my sons skates. My son has a pair of mission 120's and he said that I bought him to much skate for his age (7 years old). He told me that the boot is to stiff and his ankle's won't develope as much because the boot is so stiff. Is this correct?

The skates were $80 on sale so I wouldn't be out a lot of money, but I want to get some feed back before buying a different pair.

Thanks in advance for any help.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 04:16 PM
BumpiestBread

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1976 View Post
He told me that the boot is to stiff and his ankle's won't develope as much because the boot is so stiff. Is this correct?
I don't understand what he means by "his ankles won't develop". Boots will eventually break in and lose stiffness where there is lots of movement, and I don't think he is old enough for this to be an issue. If they are so stiff that they are really fighting against his movement and he has pain after playing, then I would worry. Otherwise, stick with the same boots until he grows out of them.

BumpiestBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:22 PM
beth

Could it be that he was just trying to help you not feel obligated to buy expensive skates in the future? He's going to grow out of the ones he's got in a year, so I wouldn't worry about changing them until then.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:26 PM
johnny1976

Beth,

Could be. However I found his old pair of skates and compared the flex in the ankles. His old pair low end ccm's I could take one hand and press the sides together. His missions I had to use 2 hands. Maybe he ment that he wouldn't have the mobility?

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote