HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Penalizing issue

Old
03-25-2011, 12:23 PM
The Kult

vCash: 500
Penalizing issue

Last night my team got penalized in what I feel was a big screw up by the officials.
The call was a boarding and a roughing on my teammate (on the same play). I have no issue with the call itself but it is the way the referee handed out the penalty that I have an issue with.

Now if I am correct what should have happened was:
-10 minute game misconduct for the boarding (which he got) served by the player penalized
- 5 minute major for boarding served by another player on the team
- 2 minute minor for roughing served by a third player.

Giving the other team a 5 on 3 for 2 minutes, or until the goal was scored, followed by a 5 on 4 for the remainder of the 5 minute major. With the penalized player being out til the 10 minutes are up from the time of the call.

what did happed:
The penalized player recieved a 7 minute major (I have never even heard of a 7 minute penalty before). We were short handed for 7 minutes with the opposition being able to score as many goals as possible in that time. The 10 minute misconduct went into effect only after the 7 minutes were up, so the player had sat in the box for a total of 17 minutes. (he was also the only one in the box serving his own penalties).

Now if there is anyone here with officiating experience who can explain to me if that is possible I would greatly apreciate it. After the game when I explained my argument to the referees and asked them how they went about handing out the penalty the way they did the only response I got was because "They can".

This is just a beer league, but still that seems like a crappy reason to **** over a team.

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:02 PM
dubplatepressure

Beer League being the operative words here.

Refs in beer leagues make up the rules as they go along (especially if you're unfortunate enough to play at SportsVillage).

dubplatepressure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:14 PM
DJnet65

USA Hockey Rulebook

http://www.usahockey.com/uploadedFil...ulebook(1).pdf

Rule 409 (e)

e) Should the same offending player commit other fouls on the
same play, either before or after the Referee has blown his
whistle, the offending player shall serve such penalties
consecutively.

So it should have been a 5 minute major followed by a 2 minute minor penalty.

The penalized player sitting in the box for a the consecutive 17 minutes of penalty time.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Beer League being the operative words here.

Refs in beer leagues make up the rules as they go along (especially if you're unfortunate enough to play at SportsVillage).
The serving of the 17 mins to me seems wrong...I THINK, and it's been a while since I reffed, but I THINK he should've sat 15mins.

But you're correct, the boarding and the roughing calls should've ran at the same time, putting your team down 5 on 3 for 2mins(or until a goal) and then the remainder of the major.

I don't believe the 10min misconduct would then start until the 5min for boarding was up.

So you have the offending player in the box, another player to serve his 2 min minor, and one other player to serve the 5 min major...

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:06 PM
The Kult

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnet65 View Post
USA Hockey Rulebook

http://www.usahockey.com/uploadedFil...ulebook(1).pdf

Rule 409 (e)

e) Should the same offending player commit other fouls on the
same play, either before or after the Referee has blown his
whistle, the offending player shall serve such penalties
consecutively.

So it should have been a 5 minute major followed by a 2 minute minor penalty.

The penalized player sitting in the box for a the consecutive 17 minutes of penalty time.
the thing is, it wasnt 2 different penalties he got called for, he just got both of those on the one call.

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:37 PM
shoeshine boy

though I'm not sure of the minor/major thing I do know that your player should've been sitting for more than 10 minutes.
I once caught a player off balance and pushed them into the boards. even though I totally didn't mean to do it (the ref understood that) I was still given 2 and 10. even though a teammate sat my minor I still had to sit for 12 minutes.
a similar situation is if you trip/slash/hook a guy and then the 2 of you start shoving each other and the ref takes both of you to the box but you end up with a double minor because you get 2 minutes for the original penalty and 2 minutes for the scuffle. a teammate has to sit your first penalty putting your team on the PK. you still have to sit the full 4:00 plus a whistle even though it's even strength.
clear as mud?

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Gino 14

The 10 minute misconduct is only served by the penalized player, no one else. Since the player was ejected, only the actual penalties are served by his teammates, no misconduct.

Also, there are no major penalties other than 5 minutes so a 7 minute major is wrong. You can get a major for roughing but it's still 5 minutes.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:51 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
The 10 minute misconduct is only served by the penalized player, no one else. Since the player was ejected, only the actual penalties are served by his teammates, no misconduct.

Also, there are no major penalties other than 5 minutes so a 7 minute major is wrong. You can get a major for roughing but it's still 5 minutes.
I think the OP posted it wrong, he saw 7 minutes up on the board and thought it was a major, instead of the 5 minute major being served first and the 2 minute minor after...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:47 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Is your league run time or stop time? In a run time game a 2 minute minor usually goes on the board as 3 minutes and a 5 minute major as 7. Doesn't sound like that's your issue but I thought I'd ask.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I think the OP posted it wrong, he saw 7 minutes up on the board and thought it was a major, instead of the 5 minute major being served first and the 2 minute minor after...
Well, since the OP posted the info, that's what I'm going with.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
XweekendwarriorX

when a player gets multiple penalties called on him in one play only one penalty can be served at a time. it should go up as 7 mins served by one player. if a goal is scored within 2 mins the penalty is erased and 5 mins goes up for the remainder. and the team can score as many times as they want without the penalty ever expiring early. the player who was called for all the penalties will serve his 10 min misconduct as soon as the 5 min major is over. he will return to play after a whistle when his 10 mins has been served after the minor and major are over and served.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
when a player gets multiple penalties called on him in one play only one penalty can be served at a time. it should go up as 7 mins served by one player. if a goal is scored within 2 mins the penalty is erased and 5 mins goes up for the remainder. and the team can score as many times as they want without the penalty ever expiring early. the player who was called for all the penalties will serve his 10 min misconduct as soon as the 5 min major is over. he will return to play after a whistle when his 10 mins has been served after the minor and major are over and served.
This.

No different than one guy getting a double minor. Only the offender serves the four minutes. Your offender serves 2:00 then 5:00 then 10:00. Only thing that shortens it is if a goal is scored during the 2:00. You should have been 5 on 4 for the 7:00. You should have had one of your teammates in the box however to come out after the 7:00 because your original offender will still be serving the 10:00.

I once got a double minor, major, misconduct, game misconduct and my team had a guy in the box for 9:00. I still "technically" served the 10:00 but I did that in the stands after taking a shower.

Last edited by Steelhead16: 03-26-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:11 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
Actually, the major is served first in this instance.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote