HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Tyler Biggs (2011, 22nd overall, Toronto)

Old
03-26-2011, 03:33 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
Who has the better upside of these two?

What player does Kassian compare to and where do you see him topping out at?
Kassian - Lucic

Biggs - Backes (never seen him play, just by associated comparisons I have read).

Im really hoping AmericanDream can compare and contrast Ambroz and Biggs for me, it seems Ambroz has softer hands, but Biggs has a better compete level and motor.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE nazem kadri View Post
First line powerforward size, NHL third liner skills.
That's the problem with all these new powerforwards. It would not be surprise me at all to see Biggs only become a third liner. He doesn't have top skills.

I hope a team doesn't waste a top 10 pick on him. Sure fire NHLer, but he definitely doesn't have that top potential.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 05:23 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
That's the problem with all these new powerforwards. It would not be surprise me at all to see Biggs only become a third liner. He doesn't have top skills.

I hope a team doesn't waste a top 10 pick on him. Sure fire NHLer, but he definitely doesn't have that top potential.
High skilled power forwards generally don't exist. The NHL hasn't really had one since Lindros or Shanahan (circa early 90s). People will throw out all kinds of names, but it has been ages since we saw a player with a great combination of high end skills, good size and a nastiness to keep defenders on their toes. Sadly, I feel like modern "power forwards" are far too polite, or just don't have a whole lot of skill.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:48 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
High skilled power forwards generally don't exist. The NHL hasn't really had one since Lindros or Shanahan (circa early 90s). People will throw out all kinds of names, but it has been ages since we saw a player with a great combination of high end skills, good size and a nastiness to keep defenders on their toes. Sadly, I feel like modern "power forwards" are far too polite, or just don't have a whole lot of skill.
Todd Bertuzzi.

Old
03-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What I wonder is what is the big difference between Biggs and Ambroz.

One came into the year as a potential top 5 pick with power forward potential but his production stagnated and his rankings dropped big time, now an afterthought in the 1st round.

The other came in unheralded, hasnt set the world on fire with production...havent seen him play, thats just a broad viiew of only stats.

Why is Biggs now a top 5 or 10 pick and Ambroz a 2nd rounder.

American dream, could you maybe give me a compare and contrast of the two? Cheers
Ambroz skating leaves a lot to be desired. I'm thinking this is what bumped him out of the first in many scouts eyes.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
What I wonder is what is the big difference between Biggs and Ambroz.

One came into the year as a potential top 5 pick with power forward potential but his production stagnated and his rankings dropped big time, now an afterthought in the 1st round.

The other came in unheralded, hasnt set the world on fire with production...havent seen him play, thats just a broad viiew of only stats.

Why is Biggs now a top 5 or 10 pick and Ambroz a 2nd rounder.

American dream, could you maybe give me a compare and contrast of the two? Cheers
The big difference is that the comparison is apples and oranges.

Biggs - Basically a surefire NHL player. May never be a star, but will play in the league. Whoever drafts him, just get the jersey ready, he'll need it in a few years. He has a ceiling to be about a 40-50 point guy, but will at least make an impact on a checking line and PK unit.

Ambroz - Big. Soft. Weak player. He's got the higher "potential" of both players, but he's got the MUCH higher bustability potential as well. I wasn't expecting him to dominate the USHL this year, but he hasn't even been playing "great". I mean, his low end potential is becoming a career ECHLer. There's no certainty with the kid.

Not to mention, their play styles are completely different. Biggs plays hard, nasty, knocks people around. Ambroz plays "big". Meaning, he might be able to finish a check on a player smaller than him. However, often times, a 1v1 battle against a kid 6+ inches and 30+ lbs smaller will result in an Ambroz loss.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:54 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Todd Bertuzzi.
Todd Bertuzzi's "skill" vanished after a very brief appearance, and he's been an extremely polite player since the Moore thing. I certainly wouldn't call him soft, but he doesn't really play with a level of nastiness that is expected of true power forwards.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:19 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Todd Bertuzzi's "skill" vanished after a very brief appearance, and he's been an extremely polite player since the Moore thing. I certainly wouldn't call him soft, but he doesn't really play with a level of nastiness that is expected of true power forwards.
Todd Bertuzzi to this day has the softest set of hands I have seen in a player, who is his prime was 245 pounds of pure nastiness.

Not everyone is Cam Neely, but Todd Bertuzzi for 5 years was THE prototypical power forward.

He had a 96 point season, so I dont know why his "skill" was being questioned.

I hate the term "powerforward" anyways...

Old
03-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Tyler's dad is Don Biggs, who was a Quad-A level player for a number of years. For those who don't remember, Don was undersized (5'8") but had an extremely high work ethic and, despite his aggression, was a fairly disciplined player as well.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Bruins78

Kind of reminds me a bit of Max Pacioretty in his draft year...prototypical size for a winger, moves well but not sure what he'll do offensively. Biggs sounds like a more physical player though.

Bruins78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:40 AM
avsman

I hope alot of of the board pics happen and colorado can take him at 32

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

I don't think many posters have seen either Ambroz or Biggs.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:15 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't think many posters have seen either Ambroz or Biggs.
Oh RR, you of all people should know how it goes round here.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
His lack of production with the NTDP and scouting report reminds me a lot of Eric Nystrom, who ended up being drafted around where Biggs is projected. Hopefully that's a low end in terms of how he might end up as a player as Nystrom's a 4th liner/AHL veteran type.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:09 PM
NewEraGM

I truly believe Biggs goes in the top 8. Devils will not pass on Biggs. They need serious help on the RW. They have Rolston now (not getting younger) and then they got Clarkson. Would be a good fit going forward.

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
I truly believe Biggs goes in the top 8. Devils will not pass on Biggs. They need serious help on the RW. They have Rolston now (not getting younger) and then they got Clarkson. Would be a good fit going forward.
New Jersey has bigger needs at center and defence.

Old
03-27-2011, 03:35 PM
newfy

Quote:
And having Clarkson removes the need for having a player of Bigg's ilk.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:20 PM
NewEraGM

Quote:
New Jersey has bigger needs at center and defence.
Actually, I would disagree. Center, they got Zajac and Josefson, who next year might be able to fill that #2C. I think they will wait and see how Josefson turns out before using a first rounder on a center.

Also on defense, right now they have Volchenkov, Tallinder, Green. Yes, they all under achieved this year, but I don't think its time to freak out. They got John Merrill in the system, whol will soon play with the Devils. Apparently MArc Fayne has not done too badly since his call- up.

I agree there are needs everywhere, but I think if your #2 RW is Clarkson, there is a pretty big need there. If I am Lamoriello, I am picking Biggs.

Old
03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
NewEraGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
And having Clarkson removes the need for having a player of Bigg's ilk.
Clarkson is not a top 6 forward. Biggs certainly has a better chance of being a top 6 forward than Clarkson ever had (not hating on Clarkson, just stating the truth). I am a big Biggs fan(no pun intended), and I honestly think he will end up being a solid player.

If I am Lamoriello, I am looking at Biggs

Old
03-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Good thing your not Lamarello.

Zajac and Joefesson are both 2 line centers. Kovalchuk can play both wings and will when Parise is back will play RW. You want to take a top 10 pick on a slighty bigger Clarkson instead of a Stome/Huburdeau, or a Murphy/Hamilton? That's not right imo.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:15 PM
NewEraGM

Quote:
Good thing your not Lamarello.

Zajac and Joefesson are both 2 line centers. Kovalchuk can play both wings and will when Parise is back will play RW. You want to take a top 10 pick on a slighty bigger Clarkson instead of a Stome/Huburdeau, or a Murphy/Hamilton? That's not right imo.
Strome, Huberdeau and Hamilton will all be gone by Jersey's pick. Murphy might not be. I think, Devils will take Biggs. I really do.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:31 PM
newfy

Quote:
Clarkson is not a top 6 forward. Biggs certainly has a better chance of being a top 6 forward than Clarkson ever had (not hating on Clarkson, just stating the truth). I am a big Biggs fan(no pun intended), and I honestly think he will end up being a solid player.

If I am Lamoriello, I am looking at Biggs
No but I mean, you have Clarkson out there who can play on the third line, hit and fight and chip in a bit. Biggs is going to be do that as well while putting up more points but my point is that you dont need a hitter and fighter if you have Clarkson playing regularly, you could just as well take a high end offensive guy who will more then likely produce more points on that right wing

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
fazon

Anyone else think Toronto will take Biggs if he's available? He's a Burke kind of guy, tough and physical. Toronto will most likely be picking 10-15 which is around where he falls, if he's not drafted by Toronto's pick.

fazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:28 PM
NewEraGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazon View Post
Anyone else think Toronto will take Biggs if he's available? He's a Burke kind of guy, tough and physical. Toronto will most likely be picking 10-15 which is around where he falls, if he's not drafted by Toronto's pick.
Since when is Toronto picking between 10-15??? They only have 2 picks: Boston's and Philadelphia's.

Old
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazon View Post
what? were picking 20-30. And yes he will pick him if he's somehow available(wouldn't even surprise if he moves up for him). I don't see him being picked in the top 10(he probably deserves to be though) because his offensive upside is questionable, unless a team doesn't need a high end guy and just a safe pick. I can see florida picking him for some reason; if tallon moves weiss or booth for a 1st.

I think ryan callahan is the perfect comparison for him.

Last edited by SuperSaiyanBeastmode: 03-27-2011 at 09:37 PM.
SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote