HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else hoping the Isles will win the lottery?

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2011, 11:25 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Rivalries are great and all, but we have 4 rivals, and my rule is that one of them has to suck, or I'm not happy. I have to laugh at somebody. The Isles can only come back to prominence if somebody takes their place in the scum-hole.
That's a great rule. lol

Old
03-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

do i want the isles to win the lottery? let me ask you this, do you think rectal surgery would be enjoyable?

same answer for both for me.

Old
03-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Rivalries are great and all, but we have 4 rivals, and my rule is that one of them has to suck, or I'm not happy. I have to laugh at somebody. The Isles can only come back to prominence if somebody takes their place in the scum-hole.

Who are the 4 rivals? Isles, Debs, Philly, who else?

In any event, I don't think that the rivalry with others got as bad as with the Isles.

But right now, it's not fun anymore. Isles suck. Ok. They suck. They've sucked so long that anyone under 30 has no memory of them not sucking. Now what?

I'd like to see a Ranger-Islander playoff series. One where every game results in at least 5 players getting ejected for game misconduct.

Old
03-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post

Pittsburgh.

Old
03-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Machinehead
Pinot Kreider

vCash: 50
Quote:

In any event, I don't think that the rivalry with others got as bad as with the Isles.

But right now, it's not fun anymore. Isles suck. Ok. They suck. They've sucked so long that anyone under 30 has no memory of them not sucking. Now what?

I'd like to see a Ranger-Islander playoff series. One where every game results in at least 5 players getting ejected for game misconduct.

I'm not gonna tell you who the 4th team is, but they're laughing at you...

Old
03-27-2011, 01:58 AM
Pizza

I still have not had what to me is a satisfactory revenge. I will never forget the sudden appearance of their jerseys everywhere I looked when they suddenly emerged as a good team. It was and is still galling to me. The one good thing was they took all the worthless, fair weather, garbage into their fan base. It was that much worse for them when things went bad....which was good.

I wish them and their fans nothing well. I have enjoyed them being crap and beating the crap out of them. But I want them beaten when it means something. So let the NHL pull a Pittsburgh with them. Hand them 5 or 6 top picks on a silver platter....and then I want them beaten when it means something.

Old
03-27-2011, 02:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

They're on the upswing though. I don't think that a #1 pick would make them competitive any sooner than a #6 pick. Two years from now, the Islanders will be in the playoffs. Mark my words.

I'll admit this though, at the risk of pissing off a lot of my fellow posters... Other than the Rangers, the only team I root for or follow is the Isles. My father is a diehard Isles fan. I root for them to succeed, just not against us. Just like I root for the Giants...they're not my team, but they're a NY team. I always root for NY teams to be respectable.

...Except the Yankees.

It's just pain.
Old
03-27-2011, 03:07 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I am ok if they have a resurgence as long as one of the other teams out there takes their place in the basement. Penguins?

Old
03-27-2011, 03:42 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
do i want the isles to win the lottery? let me ask you this, do you think rectal surgery would be enjoyable?

same answer for both for me.
I see who writes the Geico commercials..

And no, I'm not 30+, so I shouldn't be writing on this thread.

03-27-2011, 05:08 AM
tpb209

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
...Except the Yankees.
You are in really dire straights on that one, aren't you? When is the next time the Yankees will be bad?

Like Islander fans, I actually feel bad for Met fans. It is really pathetic how quickly that franchise has fallen. No payroll, no players, no farm system. That is the Mets way. The only difference between the Mets and the Islanders is that the Islanders have a future.

Last edited by tpb209: 03-27-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old
03-27-2011, 05:28 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Talk about a rivalry, but I'd be just as glad watching us destroy a floundering rival team than to have an actual competitive rivalry.

Old
03-27-2011, 05:58 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

They will be on the up-swing over the next year or 2. They could be in playoff contention next season without any major draft picks (which they always seem to screw up anyway), especially if Motoya turns into a consistent net-minder.

I also have a feeling the devs will be more competitive next season as well, so our division is stacked and tough enough the way it is.

Frankly I don't want them to move. LI needs a team and it's great to beat them, but they've got to get their act together out there.

So while I do enjoy that rivalry, it's tough enough as it is these days. Maybe the devs fall off for a few years?

At the end of the day all I really care about is The Rangers winning.

03-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Pittsburgh.

The Pens are not a rival, they are just a team in our division. They wish to be rivals with the #1 market in the NHL, but there just isn't the intensity with them, at least not from our side.

They may feel very animated about it, but the #1 market will always draw that kind of intensity. Boston, Washington, etc also think they have a rivalry with us.

Ranger-Islander games drew fights even when they did not matter. Pitt is only interesting because of playoffs competition.

If Pitt were replaced by Tampa or Phienix in our division, they would become just as much of a rival.

Last edited by Beacon: 03-27-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old
03-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I defer to the people that happened to see this thread before I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
No **** them
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Nope, I hope they are forced to move and are gone forever.
**** them, their fans, and anyone who wore that uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Careful what you wish for

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I agree. Watching the Islanders embarrass themselves yr after yr is far better then watching them compete for the cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
No I want to see them down for as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
The day a rivalry ends is the day their rival starts wishing them luck. **** the islanders. I would love to see them suffer forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
No way. Screw them.

If you asked any Isles fan in 1983 if they wished the Rangers could draft Yzerman, Lemieux and Simpson just to make the rivalry less one-sided, they would have died from laughter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
well this is crazy, but I hope they ****ing move

I hope they move to KC tomorrow. The only reason that I don't want the Mausoleum to implode is that my office is across the street and it might get dust on my car.

Old
03-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
i also dont think it will take another lottery pick for them to be competitive, with streit coming back next year, hamonic and macdonald have been solid and tavares and okposo are only getting better. throw in some solid goaltending and their a tough team to face.
Agreed. I think the Isles are going to be a competitive team next year regardless of this year's draft position.

Spending somewhere near the cap floor, at least, wouldn't hurt their roster either.

Old
03-27-2011, 07:33 AM
eco's bones

I don't think the Islanders are as down as some people make out.

Consider that Streit missed the whole season. He would have made a huge difference. Okposo being injured for a long stretch didn't help either. Those two in the lineup for this year and IMO they would be still in it because for another thing they would have probably hung on to Roloson.

And they have some good young players--Tavares (1st overall), Bailey, Hamonic, Neiderreiter (top 5), De Haan, Grabner, Moulson, Okposo, Nielsen, MacDonald, Martin. They're getting a young core together. Their biggest thing right now is to sort out their goaltending. Anyway they don't need a lottery pick and I don't want them to get it. Better the first overall goes out west--preferably Edmonton or Colorado.

Old
03-27-2011, 07:35 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I want the rivalry to stay but there will always be increasing rivalries. Many fans in the league have grown hatred toward Pittsburgh for having Crosby/Malkin, etc.

I'm certainly not jumping up and down so the Islanders can acquire yet another #1 pick (they'd probably **** it up anyway ), but if they got it I wouldn't mind.

I want them to be competitive, but certainly not pass us in success. And I'm not going to try and force it. It is what it is. They have become less of a rival in my mind these days because of their mediocrity, and I find myself being a HUGE Devil hater instead. The odd thing is, it seems to be more of a rivalry between the two fan bases rather than the teams at this point.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:09 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
This question is posed only to people who are in their 30s or older. You must remember the Ranger-Islander rivalry, at least in the early 90s. If you remember it going back to the early 80s and late 70s, that much better.

In 1994, the team I wanted to face least were the Isles. They were unbeaten against us in the Mausoleum for 15 games straight, and they broke our unbeaten streak at 14 when we were about to tie our team record.

We beat them easily in the first round, but that sure was not expected.

Playing the Islanders used to be exciting. Every regular season game against them was like Game 7 of the playoffs, but with more fighting.

No current rivalry compares. Debbies? Philthy? Please.

The Rangers are on an up swing now. With the influx of youth, what already happened and what's coming in the near-future, the Rangers will be a very good team.

I want the Ranger-Islander rivalry back. I was really hoping the Isles would finish last overall, but they will likely finish at #5.

Am I the only one hoping they will beat the odds and get a good player at #1, so they will get back to respectability, and fight against us in the playoffs like they used to in previous generations?
The answer to your question is a question...why?

Someday soon Wang will no longer be the owner and the new owner may spend money...with a core of all these #1 picks and an owner willing to spend more then the payroll floow, they could wind up being stronger then the Pens are now.

Sorry I lived through all of the Isles Cups and had to listen to ther fans...and if you think Debby fans are obnoxious, Isles fans take it to a whole new level. The Isles, Devils and Flyers can't suck enough for me...think those people felt sorry for us pre-94 or when we missed the playoffs all those years?

F'em all

Old
03-27-2011, 08:39 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
What a ****ing circus the Islanders are. After embarrassing themselves (and the NHL) by having "E" from Entourage at the draft table last June, apparently they took it a step further. The Islanders are hosting guest celebrities on the freaking bench during games?

Quote:
Honestly, just when you're sure the Islanders couldn't get any whackier, along comes "E" to be another suit behind the team's bench.

What, Sloan was busy?

In case you missed it, as we presume the NHL did, there was Kevin Connolly, who plays the character named Eric Murphy on the HBO and syndicated series "Entourage," behind the bench for the club's 5-2 victory in Tampa Bay on Tuesday night.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...cxwATwGyJZygkL

The Islanders are an embarrassment to the NHL.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:41 AM
SML

Question: "Conan, what is best in life?"
Answer: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women..."

Screw the Islanders. Burn their village to the ground, salt the earth, and punish anyone who speakes their name. In short, HELL NO, I don't want them to get the freaking first overall pick. That's like asking if you'd like the powerball ticket you stuck in a birthday card for a person at work to actually be the winner.

Old
03-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Question: "Conan, what is best in life?"
Answer: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women..."

Old
03-27-2011, 10:28 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

First off, anyone who thinks the Rangers and Pittsburgh don't have a rivalry; that goes back to the late 80s when David Shaw hit Lemieux and started a brawl, the fight for first in the Patrick Division every year from like 1988-89-1991-92, and the few playoff battles the Rangers had with them in 1989, 1992, and 1996 that didn't go so well. I've hated them pretty much ever since 1991 and can't stand their whole vibe.

As for the Islanders, they're not far off from being a good team. I wish them nothing and wouldn't want to give them any kind of edge. I grew up on LI and when I started following hockey in the late 80s when Leetch/Richter/Granato/Turcotte/etc. first broke into the league, the Islanders fans were ruthless towards Rangers fans. I heard all the chants and taunting.

Even in 1996 when I went to my first keg party in HS, a drunk Islanders fan actually tried to assault me for calling the Fishsticks jersey Charles Manson in a rain coat a week earlier.

So in short, screw those guys.

Old
03-27-2011, 10:37 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Anybody in their 30's who hears "Conan" and thinks O'Brien before Barbarian is no freind of mine. That said, I want to hear the lamentation of Isander fans' women as they are driven before me to Kansas City, then crucified on the tree of woe.

Last edited by SML: 03-27-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old
03-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Let the Oilers get it again.

Old
03-27-2011, 12:36 PM
JerseyRangers

Back in 1994 after the cup I told a buddy of mine that it would be sweet if the pIsles went 54 years without winning a playoff series. We both laughed saying that was impossible but one could hope. Seventeen years later we are almost a 1/3 or the way to the impossible. 1st overall pick??? H E L L NO! If anything I want to see all their players and all their picks crash and burn. Not winning another game for the next 10 seasons wouldn't be eonugh pain inflicted on their fan base.

My next wish is that as long as Kovalchoke is on the Debbies they never make it to the playoffs. That would be sweet!

Closed Thread