HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov Contract? - Team 990

Old
03-27-2011, 05:40 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Regehr is signed for another 2years.
As for Brewer, I guess your memory isn't so great. The man has gone through tough injury problems like Markov. He's played 87games out of 162 over 2 years. He's had two season ending injuries. So, not quite what I would call ''iron man''.
Also, neither Regehr or Brewer are top 10 Dman in the NHL.

Who else will be available?..Jovo?..I'd love him, but he's been injured in almost every season he's played. He'll probably be asking for more than Markov as well without being better.

Markov is a top 10 D in the NHL, do you understand this? We're not talking about risking 5M on an average-good Dman here. It's a risk well worth taking.
If he gets injured again, then his cap hit won't count, the Molson won't pay (insurance will) and that's all there is to it. If he can't come back and retires, then his salary won't count on our cap as he's under 35.

Markov on one leg is already better than most Dmen in the NHL.

If he wants a 3year deal, then give it to him. You really have no clue of what you're talking about.

You make no sense.

Your reasoning is that you don't want to risk taking him on because you don't want to trade picks if he gets injured again (something you would have to do for almost any regular getting injured btw) and also because you don't want to go through losing your #1 Dman, a top 10 Dman, for a season again.
So, your idea of a solution is to let that top 10 Dman walk, that has been in our organization the longest and remained loyal to us (re-signed to discounted price), go on the open market, hope to land a #1 Dman, that isn't better than Markov, like Kaberle which you'll have to overpay for. Sounds very smart to me...

All this talk about ''what if Markov gets injured again'', what about ''what if Markov is HEALTHY'', ever thought of that?
Markov needs to be re-signed, and if it's 3years, I'm all for it.

I stand (sit!) corrected!! Memory or laziness!! (I forgot that Brewer is injury prone or has a major ''past'' in that department). Same for Regehr...forgot he had 2 more years.

Well...I was also just using names like Regehr and Brewer (healthier version!) as dmen that I'd like VS Markov.

And about PROTECTING our PICKS (ex: 2nd Round Picks):
I don't feel like we need to replace Markov with another Markov (ex: Kaberle...expensive/very overrated like Markov). And I really do believe that Markov=losing a 2nd Round pick (almost every year), but yes you're right...it's hard to tell since it could be another player getting injured before the trade deadline (hard to tell). Well...I'm just saying that most Hab fans know that we need backup when it comes to Markov (this pretty much means that most Hab fans believe he will be injured...it's just a matter of when? his right knee? left knee? right or left shoulder? ankle? etc, etc...).

Markov doesn't know how to protect himself from or prepare for bodychecks (ex: Grabovski bodycheck). Or/and, his body simply wasn't made for bodychecks (entire body, not just knees).

What IF Markov is healthy? ok...he was healthy during some playoff series and he was Mr. Invisible everytime.

MARKOV and PLAYOFFS:
can anyone here tell me that they've seen Markov actually show up during playoffs?

Adding a top 2 dman, OR...adding a top 4 dman?
I feel that we just need to add a solid top 4 dman via UFA or trade (and/or keep Wiz??). I'll cross my fingers and hope this dman will be an IRON-MAN (not injury prone). I'd love a younger version of Hamrlik signed for 4 more years. This Hamrlik (younger version) can easily replace Markov in the HEALTH department.

Jovanovski:
I really like his mean streak and boy can he play, when/if...he can stay healthy (VERY injury prone)...only recently he has been sort of healthy (been a long time). He's a HUGE risk in the health department. 2-3 years ago I thought he was going to retire.
I'd only sign him for cheap (not gonna happen, and let me guess...his agent is DON ''show me the money'' MEEHAN??!).

Jovanovski vs Flyers and Boston:
Jovanovski would look great in a Habs jersey especially vs Flyers or Boston, but...I fear he will miss many many games.

Byfuglien:
Atlanta signed him to 4 or 5 years?
If there was a way to trade for him..., I'd get it done (I know...I'm dreaming!). He's the one I'd really want for our Habs (can be a dman or SUPER power forward).
Markov's rights + 1st Round pick + prospect? + player?
FOR
Byfuglien + 2nd Round Pick?

With Markov we will continue to be pushed around by Philly and Boston.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-27-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I stand (sit!) corrected!! Memory or laziness!! (I forgot that Brewer is injury prone or has a major ''past'' in that department). Same for Regehr...forgot he had 2 more years.

Well...I was also just using names like Regehr and Brewer (healthier version!) as dmen that I'd like VS Markov.

And about PROTECTING our PICKS (ex: 2nd Round Picks):
I don't feel like we need to replace Markov with another Markov (ex: Kaberle...expensive/very overrated like Markov). And I really do believe that Markov=losing a 2nd Round pick (almost every year), but yes you're right...it's hard to tell since it could be another player getting injured before the trade deadline (hard to tell). Well...I'm just saying that most Hab fans know that we need backup when it comes to Markov (this pretty much means that most Hab fans believe he will be injured...it's just a matter of when? his right knee? left knee? right or left shoulder? ankle? etc, etc...).

Markov doesn't know how to protect himself from or prepare for bodychecks (ex: Grabovski bodycheck). Or/and, his body simply wasn't made for bodychecks (entire body, not just knees).

What IF Markov is healthy? ok...he was healthy during some playoff series and he was Mr. Invisible everytime.

MARKOV and PLAYOFFS:
can anyone here tell me that they've seen Markov actually show up during playoffs?

Adding a top 2 dman, OR...adding a top 4 dman?
I feel that we just need to add a solid top 4 dman via UFA or trade (and/or keep Wiz??). I'll cross my fingers and hope this dman will be an IRON-MAN (not injury prone). I'd love a younger version of Hamrlik signed for 4 more years. This Hamrlik (younger version) can easily replace Markov in the HEALTH department.

Jovanovski:
I really like his mean streak and boy can he play, when/if...he can stay healthy (VERY injury prone)...only recently he has been sort of healthy (been a long time). He's a HUGE risk in the health department. 2-3 years ago I thought he was going to retire.
I'd only sign him for cheap (not gonna happen, and let me guess...his agent is DON ''show me the money'' MEEHAN??!).

Jovanovski vs Flyers and Boston:
Jovanovski would look great in a Habs jersey especially vs Flyers or Boston, but...I fear he will miss many many games.

Byfuglien:
Atlanta signed him to 4 or 5 years?
If there was a way to trade for him..., I'd get it done (I know...I'm dreaming!). He's the one I'd really want for our Habs (can be a dman or SUPER power forward).
Markov's rights + 1st Round pick + prospect? + player?
FOR
Byfuglien + 2nd Round Pick?

With Markov we will continue to be pushed around by Philly and Boston.
Reghier is signed for 2 more years,but was and may be available via trade. Markov WAS a top 10 d-man,but not since 07-08. That's a long time in hockey years,especially after two major knee injuries.I like the one yr incentive-laden contract,but with or w/o him we need to get bigger,tougher and younger on defense. That I think everyone would agree to.Gill,Spacek,Picard,Hamr and Sopel,all need to be released/traded. I would keep hamr out of these for around $3m,as he's played very well when not used for 25 min/gm

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:24 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
More than 1 yr is crazy
I think if we can put some clause regarding a scaled salary dependent on # of games played, we could sign him longer. But doubt if anything like that is possible. If he would take a salary cut 3.5million/year? then maybe sign him for 2.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Reghier is signed for 2 more years,but was and may be available via trade. Markov WAS a top 10 d-man,but not since 07-08. That's a long time in hockey years,especially after two major knee injuries.I like the one yr incentive-laden contract,but with or w/o him we need to get bigger,tougher and younger on defense. That I think everyone would agree to.Gill,Spacek,Picard,Hamr and Sopel,all need to be released/traded. I would keep hamr out of these for around $3m,as he's played very well when not used for 25 min/gm
Regehr:
He's the type of dman we urgently need (especially VS teams like the sore-loser Bruins and Philly). I'd trade rights to Markov and __?__ for Regehr.

Hamrlik (1 or 2 more years...he's a dependable iron-man).

Hamrlik - Wiz?? (depending on playoffs' performance?)
Regehr type - PK Subban
Gill? - Gorges (3-4 year contract)
----------- -----------------
Spacek (3,8mil/one more year)
Mara
Weber (lots of talent but boy do we ever lack grit/toughness if he's in the lineup...he'd be good with a Regehr type of dman)

I love that we are classy (like Detroit!), but...we urgently lack at least one mean dman a la Regehr or Jovanovski (but forget Jovo since he's way too injury prone, but maybe a 2 year contract wouldn't be so bad?). Would Bogosian be expensive?

We can't keep playing against Charas and Prongers without at least adding one Regehr type, a Byfuglien type, a healthier version of a Jovanovski type, etc, etc...

Markov (if signed), Weber, Spacek...we're just too soft with those three (classy but way too soft!).
I hope management takes care of this issue during summer.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote