HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam and Joe appreciation thread

Old
03-26-2011, 11:12 PM
varanger94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
I feel this is necessary after watching today's Bruins feed. Whether you like Joe or hate him, he is nowhere NEAR the level of homerism of other broadcasters, especially color guys.

If you had listened to the Bruins' broadcast on the radio, you would think that the Rangers sold every single penalty that was called against them, all the while demolishing the poor innocent Bruins without any repercussions.

You would think that Milan Lucic is a Lady Bing finalist, and that Dubinsky and Boyle are world class divers.

You would think that Tortorella is a grade A hypocrite for b***ing about Flyers diving, while his own team is a bunch of dirty little diving cowards.

Finally... and to me this was mind-boggling to hear from a professional broadcaster... when Bergeron ran into Henrik, Jack Edwards went into a long speed arguing that, because of the tight playoff race, Ramsay and Tortorella would allow Lundqvist to stay in the net even if he appeared to be injured or had concussion symptoms, rather than let an inexperienced goalie replace him.

I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing, and I think my ears were bleeding toward the end. So let us celebrate Sam and Joe -- the classiest, least homerific broadcasting crew in hockey!

/rant over
I once was spoiled and complained about what I now consider trivial things said by Sam and Joe. I was a Dish subscriber and had to watch the games on line, when the Dolanvision monopoly took MSG away. I don't know how i still have a Monitor. Listening to the out of town feeds was horrible. Homers. Oh my god. It's an epidemic. You ever listen to the Pittsburg guy's. The minute Avery stepped on the ice, they were all over him and never let up. This is a team with mister Cooke on the other bench. The Calgary Play by Play Idiot says that the "Rangers claim they are #1 in the league in blocked shots. We know how things can get skewered in this building". The Rangers played Toronto and The Toronto color guy starts the broadcast with. "From the greatest arena in the world MSG. It's Toronto against the Rangers. At least in the minds of New Yorkers that is". The whole game they made fun of the New York accent. MSG should monitor the broadcasts and not make it so comfortable when they visit here. Thank God I switched to Direct TV and really appreciate what we have despite minor flaws.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:13 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I used to like Joe when he was with the Isles. Him and Howie made for one of the better tandems in the league IMO. When he first came over to the Ranger broadcast team, he was fine but over the past year or so he's been brutal. Makes me wanna do bad things to myself.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

Joe's alright. Not my favorite, but don't hate him.

Sam is my dude. He's been covering Rangers games my whole life, and he's good at it.

I think our announcers are very good overall.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:38 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Joe is less bad than many around the league. Still somewhat annoying though.

Sam is great. He's beginning to slip though. Has a real hard time identifying players now and sometimes struggles to keep up with the play. I love him still.
That pretty much sums it up. I don't like Joe at all but there are definitely worse ones out there.

I'd like to see Maloney in the booth when Joe's contract is up.

truebluegoalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:45 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

I like Joe quite a bit. I listen to a lot of announcers because I have NHL centre ice. We were obviously spoiled by JD, but Joe is awesome compared to some of the others in the league. For example, try watching a TSN feed with Pierre McGuire. Sam and Joe are actually nice to listen to. I remember having to turn sound off after listening to FSN Pittsburgh. Then I found off that NHL centre lets you choose, which feed. That also worked well today with Boston. I haven't watched a Boston feed before, or at least don't remember it but I have heard bad things. I knew the rumors were true after Avery threw that late shot in the fight.

ChrisKreider20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Pizza

We are spoiled....and I mean truly, richly spoiled by Sam and Joe.

That is all.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanger94 View Post
I once was spoiled and complained about what I now consider trivial things said by Sam and Joe. I was a Dish subscriber and had to watch the games on line, when the Dolanvision monopoly took MSG away. I don't know how i still have a Monitor. Listening to the out of town feeds was horrible. Homers. Oh my god. It's an epidemic. You ever listen to the Pittsburg guy's. The minute Avery stepped on the ice, they were all over him and never let up. This is a team with mister Cooke on the other bench. The Calgary Play by Play Idiot says that the "Rangers claim they are #1 in the league in blocked shots. We know how things can get skewered in this building". The Rangers played Toronto and The Toronto color guy starts the broadcast with. "From the greatest arena in the world MSG. It's Toronto against the Rangers. At least in the minds of New Yorkers that is". The whole game they made fun of the New York accent. MSG should monitor the broadcasts and not make it so comfortable when they visit here. Thank God I switched to Direct TV and really appreciate what we have despite minor flaws.
Well said. Very well said. And that is just a small sample. The cranks other teams have doing the announcing is almost embarrassing if it were not so darned funny. God, I wish I had audio of some of the gems I've heard over the years.

Old
03-27-2011, 02:09 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Every color guy on a regional telecast is a homer. It's their job. Joe is no different.

He's said some pretty stupid things the last few years, but his Dan Girardi "goal" against the Devils sealed it for me.

It's a shame he doesnt do NFL telecasts as well so we can get a break from him once in a while.
Sorry, and I'm not trying to be smart, but you have no idea what your saying. Joe is plain vanilla compared to some of the truly amazing homers out there.

Old
03-27-2011, 02:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
My personal favorite line from the NESN team was when Bergeron ran Henke, and Staal went and wrestled Bergeron off him, the one NESN guy goes "and for some reason Staal feels the need to bear hug Bergeron!" Uhhh maybe because Bergeron just ran Staal's goalie? And that thing about Ramsay and Torts regarding Lundqvist was a COMPLETELY unprofessional thing to say.

As far as Sam and Joe go, I'm fine with them except for their refusal to criticize the Rangers when criticism is due.
The NESN guys are the worst in all of sports.

Also, your avy rocks. I have three stars/all fruits/eggs in Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:38 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Jack Edwards always reminds me of that guy that we all know who doesn't have a particularly keen mind for the game, but is still the loudest and most opinionated person about it in any room.

Joe can be pretty bad at times, but there are a lot of moments where he does have great insight. I think he would actually make a great sideline-type reporter.
speaking of sideline reporters, i cant stand when Rangers games are on vs due to Pierre. i cant stand that annoying jerk. i hope Avery sprays him with water next time he is between the benches.

Pierre, Jack and Chico are the worst along with Mike Crispino, remember when Shanny fought Brashear. i had to mute it so i didnt have to listen to Crispino...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Pierre is okay, so long as a Canadian team is not involved.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:37 AM
egelband

i'd like to add that some degree of being-a-homer is fine. as long as the broadcaster tells-it-like-it-is. i don't cafe if an announcer is happy for his team scoring a goal, but just be honest about what's happening.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:51 AM
tpb209

I think it is appropriate to point out that, while still very good, Sam has started to slip quite a bit. He often mistakes one player for another and clearly has a problem realizing when a puck hits off of the post. Despite the one fake-out Joe had earlier in the year, he is quite good at detecting when a puck is deflected into the net/on goal.

No pair, in my mind, will replace Sam and JD, but, in the next several years, it will be time to replace Sam. I wonder who that person will be, and how much people will complain about him/her(gasp!!!).

I actually think that the radio broadcast(Albert and Maloney) is better than the television, at this point.

tpb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Chalfdiggity3

I love Sam, will never get tired of anything he says. Best guy in the business.

Joe is tolerable but cant stand him stating the obvious, and his horrible one-liners. I would LOVE to bring Dave Maloney in to do the color commentating. That would be great.

Cant really stand the complete homerism of other color or even play by play commentators of other teams. Its okay to have some homerism but to be completly biased is ridiculous. Call the game, thats your job

I hate Pierre, i want to put the game on mute when i listen to him. Same with the guys who do the Versus and NBC games. Always talking about how good the other team is and sucking their balls while the Rangers are the team winning and shutting down their key players.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanger94 View Post

I like our guys. Sam is the best and Joe is OK too. They are not flawless which it seems some of our fans expect. Gotta fulfill the "bitter New Yorker" MO I guess.

Anyway varanger: That avatar is EPIC!!! FATCESSA!! NO HOCKEY DAMN IT!

03-27-2011, 09:14 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I like Kenny Albert but I just don't think he does PBP with as much intensity as Sam. I also really like Howie Rose as a pbp guy.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:42 AM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
I usually am stuck watching the away team feeds to get the HD. So its been a season of away game feeds. That being said the Bruins were by far the worst with the most complaining.
After about five minutes of the Boston feed in HD I actually chose to watch Sam and Joe in fuzzy-vision...just couldn't stand listening to those guys....

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

One of the best moments all season was when Sam kept pronouncing Sestito as "Tostito" and then he did it for like the fourth time and he muttered to himself "...Get it RIGHT!"

Also when you hear the unmistakable sound of puck hitting iron: "Save, Lundqvist!" or the thud of a puck on pad "Off the post!"

They're certainly the best I've heard though. I can't begin to imagine how irritating it would be if they called players by their nicknames/first names like some do. "Dubi and Cally, two on one...two on none, Dubi, SCORE!"

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Joe is less bad than many around the league. Still somewhat annoying though.

Sam is great. He's beginning to slip though. Has a real hard time identifying players now and sometimes struggles to keep up with the play. I love him still.
i was actually thinking about this earlier. i think that recently sam has been a lot better in comparison to earlier in the season. and it got me to thinking that maybe in combination with the fact that he's not getting any younger, doing nfl games in the fall/early winter really takes a toll on him.

and i guess it should, i mean that's a lot of extra research he needs to do on the players/teams, as well as thinking about what city hes going to, making arrangements for flying out (i mean getting a car to the airport etc., i'm sure his flights are arranged for him).

but lately i think he's been a lot better as far as keeping up with the play and mis-naming players

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Vito Andolini

Literally, go down the list of other teams broadcasters and you'll see just how good we have it:

- Boston: 2 of the worst in the league. How Andy Brickley gets a job on VS. with that annoying Mayor Quimby voice of his is beyond me. Plus Edwards is just a complete joke.

- Pitt: I'll never fully understand how Mike Lange got bumped to radio with the two knuckleheads they have doing TV.

- NJ: Chico? Yikes.

- Isles: Butch seems like an OK guy, but he stumbles over himself.

- Chicago: I like Eddie O, but hearing him do advertisements during a game is both extremely awkward and annoying.

- Capitals: Benenati is such a putz with that fake voice he does.

- Buffalo: Jeanerette is another absolute joke. The praise he gets for basically making a fool out of the job is shameful.

- St. Louis: If I had to listen to Pang yell "Holy Jumpin!" 20 times a game, i'm pretty sure I'd jump out a window.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I like Kenny Albert but I just don't think he does PBP with as much intensity as Sam. I also really like Howie Rose as a pbp guy.
I always liked Howie and I thought Jaffe and Howie were a really good tandem.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:01 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
After about five minutes of the Boston feed in HD I actually chose to watch Sam and Joe in fuzzy-vision...just couldn't stand listening to those guys....
I'm spoiled I would rather watch without sound than watch SD...and living in Bruin territory there was no other option.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:18 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Sam and Joe are one of the best duos in the league. I didn't realize it until I got Center Ice, but there are just a lot of awful PBP and color guys out there.

I do think LA has an excellent tandem though. I watched a lot of their games and really started to enjoy their commentators. I would certainly give them the nod as the most unbiased commentating duo, at least based on what I've seen/heard.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Sam's ability to call a hockey game has been slipping for the last several years.

Love the guy - grew up listening to him call the Rangers, but it is what it is and needs to be said.

I know he'll get hated on because hes viewed as a Devil's guy, but Doc Emrick is, by far, the best in the business.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:27 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I, For one, can't stand Docs voice. He's great at doing the play by play but his voice just grates on me. I just have a soft spot for Sam, he's the voice of my childhood and although he gaffes occasionally you can tell he's so passionate about the game and the Rangers just by listening to him.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote