HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young Forwards?

Old
03-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Personally, I love Berglund. He has size, and a lot of skill, he just hasn't put it all together yet. I think he has big time potential, and will be a very good top 6 center down the road.
Would you trade Kadri straight up for him?

Personally I would.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:24 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post

Personally I would.
That'd be tough, cuz Berglund's ceiling is probably higher than Kadri, and obviously size is a big factor, but really, Colborne is a Berglund-esque player is he not? Just not as slick.

Berglund had a down year last year, but has almost topped his personal best in points.

Maybe Colborne and a mid-late pick instead of Kadri?

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrKO28 View Post
That'd be tough, cuz Berglund's ceiling is probably higher than Kadri, and obviously size is a big factor, but really, Colborne is a Berglund-esque player is he not? Just not as slick.

Berglund had a down year last year, but has almost topped his personal best in points.

Maybe Colborne and a mid-late pick instead of Kadri?
Yes, but having two centers as your 1-2 with huge size like has this team going more positively in the future than with Kadri and Colborne, imo. It'd have to take a center like that though coming back to make us even consider trading Kadri.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:29 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Yes, but having two centers as your 1-2 with huge size like has this team going more positively in the future than with Kadri and Colborne, imo. It'd have to take a center like that though coming back to make us even consider trading Kadri.
I don't know if Burkie would trade Kadri for Berglund though, Kadri has that edge that Burke likes and I'm not sure if Berglund has that to the same level. Plus Burke likes 'his guys' and Kadri is one of those guys.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

anyone in the Kulemin mould eg. willing to go to the hard areas and not easily knocked around, with a good shot is what is needed

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
anyone in the Kulemin mould eg. willing to go to the hard areas and not easily knocked around, with a good shot is what is needed
Imagine all 12 forwards being Kulemin. You'd have a whole team of one-man russian 30 goal scoring wrecking balls.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:07 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Imagine all 12 forwards being Kulemin. You'd have a whole team of one-man russian 30 goal scoring wrecking balls.
I'll take 4 Kulemins, 4 Grabovskis, and 4 MacArthur's. We'd be ****ing unstoppable.

Oh and 6 Luke Schenns too.

Old
03-26-2011, 02:54 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:

Personally I would.
As much as I love Berglund, and wish he was on this team, I don't think I make that trade. Kadri is still very young, has tons of potential, and I just plain don't like the idea of moving out our top prospect unless a proven star is coming back. I think Berglund could be had for less, perhaps a combination of picks and prospects, but none the calibre of Kadri.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
I think Burke is going to do something huge, and its going to surprise us all. (This is random speculation). It's going to be something where the other fans are like "whoa...did that just happen?" In a good way! Whether that be acquiring a young star player, or moving WAY up in the draft.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:27 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
I think Burke is going to do something huge, and its going to surprise us all. (This is random speculation). It's going to be something where the other fans are like "whoa...did that just happen?" In a good way! Whether that be acquiring a young star player, or moving WAY up in the draft.
There definitely is potential for something like that to happen. I too think Burke, one way or another, is going to make a big splash this summer.

Old
03-26-2011, 10:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
As much as I love Berglund, and wish he was on this team, I don't think I make that trade. Kadri is still very young, has tons of potential, and I just plain don't like the idea of moving out our top prospect unless a proven star is coming back. I think Berglund could be had for less, perhaps a combination of picks and prospects, but none the calibre of Kadri.
Berglund 6'4". 218 lbs.
----------------Gm-GL-AS-Pt-+/-
2008-2009 Blues 76 21 26 47 19 - Age 20
2009-2010 Blues 71 13 13 26 -5 - Age 21
2010-2011 Blues 73 18 27 45 -8 - Age 22

He takes their 2nd. most face-offs, Backes taking the most.

I'd speculate he's one of their building blocks. Not sure how they could be convinced Kadri, who is still a prospect will be as good.

It would be nice to land one of those NHL ready players with size and 1st. line potential though. If the Rangers do land Richards they might need to move a centerman out, however I think Anisimov might be an untouchable there.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Grabowaffle84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanty View Post
And how many Otters games have you been to?
That's irelevant. Better question: How many first round busts did we draft in the last 20 years? How much do you want to bet that Mckegg will be better than all the forwards that we drafted in the first round in the last 20 years?

I would bet my last dollar on it.

Grabowaffle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabowaffle84 View Post
That's irelevant. Better question: How many first round busts did we draft in the last 20 years? How much do you want to bet that Mckegg will be better than all the forwards that we drafted in the first round in the last 20 years?

I would bet my last dollar on it.
i'd be shocked if McKegg ended up being a more valuable Leaf than Schenn in the coming years. add Reimer to that list if he keeps playing the way he has.

also, you know Kaberle was drafted by the Leafs right? Clark?

i can't judge McKegg because i've barely seen him play...but that's quite the statement you have there.

[edit] just noticed you said forwards...not players, so scratch Kaberle and Reimer from my post.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:57 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:

Personally I would.
I would hum and haw about it for a long time thats certain. Many people who say he is only going to be a 2C are the same people who say Kadri will be a top line centre or LW. What is the possible justification. And dont we use the argument that big guys take longer to develop for Colborne? Well what is Berglund. On top of that, Berglund is not playing with a guy of Kessel's Caliber, especially since Perron has been out most of the season.

Regardless of the mini rant i just had, kadri for Berglund could be a great move, or a very costly one. I would do my best to work out a trade with other picks and prospects, and hope to god that Berglund is pushed out of their future based on Schwartz and Tarasenko coming in, but it is unlikely.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:08 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Berglund 6'4". 218 lbs.
----------------Gm-GL-AS-Pt-+/-
2008-2009 Blues 76 21 26 47 19 - Age 20
2009-2010 Blues 71 13 13 26 -5 - Age 21
2010-2011 Blues 73 18 27 45 -8 - Age 22

He takes their 2nd. most face-offs, Backes taking the most.

I'd speculate he's one of their building blocks. Not sure how they could be convinced Kadri, who is still a prospect will be as good.

It would be nice to land one of those NHL ready players with size and 1st. line potential though. If the Rangers do land Richards they might need to move a centerman out, however I think Anisimov might be an untouchable there.
You're right about it being difficult to convince St. Louis to move him for less than Kadri. It was an oversight on my part, but all the same, I wouldn't move Kadri out for him for the simple reason that I don't want the Leafs to part with any more top prospects before they have been given a fair chance to succeed.

Berglund has all of the tools to be successful, but I think there were quite a few people thinking this was supposed to be the year he really broke out. He is still posting the same kind of numbers he did in his rookie year, which is part of the reason why I think he could potentially be pried off of the Blues. It may take someone more proven that could make a bit more of an impact on the roster plus additional assets to make it happen.

I would very much like Burke to acquire a young, potential top line center if he does decide to move out a combination of the 3 high picks the Leafs have. I just tried to list a couple guys that could perhaps be had at a lower cost for various reasons.

Old
03-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
I would hum and haw about it for a long time thats certain. Many people who say he is only going to be a 2C are the same people who say Kadri will be a top line centre or LW. What is the possible justification. And dont we use the argument that big guys take longer to develop for Colborne? Well what is Berglund. On top of that, Berglund is not playing with a guy of Kessel's Caliber, especially since Perron has been out most of the season.

Regardless of the mini rant i just had, kadri for Berglund could be a great move, or a very costly one. I would do my best to work out a trade with other picks and prospects, and hope to god that Berglund is pushed out of their future based on Schwartz and Tarasenko coming in, but it is unlikely.
He's clearly NHL ready, and has all the tools which includes size and skill, as well as a great play-making ability to center a guy like Kessel.

A deal like this can be made because Kadri it remains to be seen if Kadri can be that guy for Kessel. We know Grabovski and his line is locked in as a secondary unit going forward.

Trades that are usually high risk, have huge potential for reward. It's a move like that which will have to get us our number 1 center, no team is just going to give one up.

If burke, and company, believe Kadri will be that guy, then by all means he should be kept.

Old
03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
He's clearly NHL ready, and has all the tools which includes size and skill, as well as a great play-making ability to center a guy like Kessel.

A deal like this can be made because Kadri it remains to be seen if Kadri can be that guy for Kessel. We know Grabovski and his line is locked in as a secondary unit going forward.

Trades that are usually high risk, have huge potential for reward. It's a move like that which will have to get us our number 1 center, no team is just going to give one up.

If burke, and company, believe Kadri will be that guy, then by all means he should be kept.
I agree. As I said, big risk, but big reward. Wouldnt it be funny that after all the we have sundin but never get him a winger, and now we have kessel but cant get him a centre talk, we get the guy who was compared to sundin lol.

Old
03-26-2011, 07:57 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
If he gets Peumpel I will be happy.
this or if he can somehow get boone jenner that would be good too..at any rate i hope he doesnt trade the picks unless its for something really good or move up in the draft as i want to see us pick someone in the first round this year

theneuf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:01 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneuf33 View Post
this or if he can somehow get boone jenner that would be good too..at any rate i hope he doesnt trade the picks unless its for something really good or move up in the draft as i want to see us pick someone in the first round this year
Meh, as long as the picks go for a glaring need and its going for someone young.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Baba...Schenn is a defenseman...

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:49 PM
MrMazola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post

Clark?
Clark? He was drafted 25 years ago, and as good as he was, barely managed to play 50 games a season in his career (I believed he played more than 70 games exactly once.) And that's worth crowing about?

I wonder what team in the last 25 years has had worse 1st round drafting.

MrMazola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Grabowaffle84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMazola View Post
Clark? He was drafted 25 years ago, and as good as he was, barely managed to play 50 games a season in his career (I believed he played more than 70 games exactly once.) And that's worth crowing about?

I wonder what team in the last 25 years has had worse 1st round drafting.
For this exact reason I said 20 years and forwards..... someone got too horny and didn't read my previous post.

Grabowaffle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Leaf Army

Andrew Ladd? A bit of a longshot but I can see Burke targeting him.

He'd be a perfect fit on Kessel's left side. He's young, big and physical and could score 30 goals this year.

He's an RFA due for a big raise on a team that may not be willing to commit a ton of money this offseason. Burke has shown with Kessel that he's not afraid of going the RFA route and I don't doubt he'd be willing to do it again.

If it happened, Atlanta would probably be willing to consider a package of young, NHL ready prospects instead of the picks and Burke has two first rounders and nice group of young assets that could possibly make it work.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
gmjohnny

mckegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
i'd be shocked if McKegg ended up being a more valuable Leaf than Schenn in the coming years. add Reimer to that list if he keeps playing the way he has.

also, you know Kaberle was drafted by the Leafs right? Clark?

i can't judge McKegg because i've barely seen him play...but that's quite the statement you have there.

[edit] just noticed you said forwards...not players, so scratch Kaberle and Reimer from my post.
He has a nice scoring touch, drafter 8th in OHL draft. Skating is only average without a burst which is why he dropped. Plays like MacArthur somewhat but not as gritty

gmjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post
He has a nice scoring touch, drafter 8th in OHL draft. Skating is only average without a burst which is why he dropped. Plays like MacArthur somewhat but not as gritty
interesting...thanks.

i'm not sure what i'd think of MacArthur if he wasn't so gritty...so i don't know what i'd think of McKegg.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote