HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jesse the placeholder...but for whom?

Old
03-26-2011, 10:55 PM
bluechipbonzo

vCash: 500
Jesse the placeholder...but for whom?

After watching the game against the Flyers tonight, it occurred to me that while Jesse Joenssu is being given a chance on the Bailey line, he's really just a placeholder.

With the Tavares and Nielsen lines all but set in stone with the Moulson/Parenteau (and the you-know-Garth's-not-going-to-let-him-get-away upcoming Grabner contract) signings, and the still-budding chemistry between Bailey and Comeau, this should be the last we see of Joensuu.

Nino, a converted Ullstrom, a promoted Matt Martin, or Petrov will be lining up with Bailey and Comeau on opening day.

Nino looks to be ready, but will be in tough if Petrov finally makes it out of the gulag.

If Petrov finishes his KHL contract, Nino's fate will depend on Ullstrom. Although I predicted a cup of coffee for Ullstrom this year, injuries have slowed him down. Next year he may challenge for the fourth line centre job, unless Konopka is resigned, which is still a possibility. Even then, Ullstrom easily replaces Haley on Konopka's wing, with the opportunity for spot duty or penalty killing. The Islanders don't need to bring Ullstrom up though, and now have the luxury of letting their prospects grow and develop on the farm.

Although Matt Martin has many admirers, there are far superior offensive players coming up through our system now, and its looking more and more like Martin will be relegated to the fourth line. Nino certainly holds more importance to the Islanders than does Martin. A signed Petrov, well, don't even get me started on that one.

If the Islanders want to get bigger and faster, both Nino and Ullstrom make the team next season. The underlined positions represent the only open spots IMO. The fourth line centre job is Konopka's should Garth resign him. It could be that Martin is given the enforcer job exclusively, giving Garth the flexibilty to sign a free agent centre that brings a little more speed if Ullstrom isn't ready. Haley could stay too if Konopka goes, leaving Ullstrom to centre him and Martin. Petrov makes things really interesting, likely meaning Nino spends yet another season in the WHL. Take a look:

Parenteau--Tavares--Moulson
Grabner--Nielsen--Okposo

Comeau--Bailey--Nino
Comeau--Bailey--Petrov

Ullstrom--Konopka--Martin
Haley--Ullstrom--Martin

This team has been built almost exclusively through the draft, and now prospects are starting to show up on the island. If they are ready, players like Nino and Ullstrom won't be left to rot on the vine. As much as the "over ripe" adage makes sense, no NHL team will hold back prospects that are ready to contribute.

So...after their respective seasons, and with another summer ahead, are Nino and Ullstrom both ready to make the Islanders next season?

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Strome18

I am going to state this now before anyone else. I think Anders Lee plays with JT before Nino does. I think Anders lee will be playing wing on JTs line or JT plays on Anders line.

Moulson, Anders, JT

They would complement each other perfectly.

I think Graber, Nielsen and Nino.

With Petrov, Bailey Okposo. That is how i see it.

I also think ullstrom, K and Haley. I think Ullstrom can play wing.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
I am going to state this now before anyone else. I think Anders Lee plays with JT before Nino does. I think Anders lee will be playing wing on JTs line or JT plays on Anders line.

Moulson, Anders, JT

I think our system is staked and will be further solidified this draft.

I think Larssen ends up in LI and we get
Mika Zibanejad or Duncan Siemens...we will trade back into the 1st.

I think we make a trade next year by the trade dead line for someone, not sure yet what player fits or team because we can be speedy or physical depending on who stays or goes.

I think we might need a 5' 10'' guy that can fly around like a RNH or Murphy to complement the gritty, skilled forwards and defense.

This draft would be awesome if we could get the 1st pick trade back from number 1 and get Larssen and another number 1 without giving up our second or third round pick.

That is how I would go or even get Murphy, and Siemens if we traded back and still have our second and thirds to get forwards to help.

Man oh Man Garth and staff do not fail us on this draft, i think this one will really put us at the cusp of something really big.

Old
03-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 8243
joensuu's spot should be taken by nino next year. then nino moves up and we find a new third liner (lee? 2011 pick? cizikas?)

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:23 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
I think our system is staked and will be further solidified this draft.

I think Larssen ends up in LI and we get
Mika Zibanejad or Duncan Siemens...we will trade back into the 1st.

I think we make a trade next year by the trade dead line for someone, not sure yet what player fits or team because we can be speedy or physical depending on who stays or goes.

I think we might need a 5' 10'' guy that can fly around like a RNH or Murphy to complement the gritty, skilled forwards and defense.

This draft would be awesome if we could get the 1st pick trade back from number 1 and get Larssen and another number 1 without giving up our second or third round pick.

That is how I would go or even get Murphy, and Siemens if we traded back and still have our second and thirds to get forwards to help.

Man oh Man Garth and staff do not fail us on this draft, i think this one will really put us at the cusp of something really big.
Wow dude, can I get some of that stuff you're smoking?!?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:35 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:

Moulson, Anders, JT

Ullstrom can play wing, but Lee will be brought along more slowly.

I was initially excited about Lee's possibilty, and am still high on him, but there are other prospects more further along, such as Nino, Petrov, and Ullstrom.

The Islanders will let their NCAA prospects ripen a little longer now, as most NHL teams do. There are so many young core players already on the team that Lee will be encouraged to take the same route as Rhakshani.

It's not to say he won't be an NHL player- I think he will- but there's only so many slots on the big club.

You're not going to replace a Parenteau, or Comeau with a rookie like Lee until he can step in and produce at a superior rate. These players I just mentioned will change from being the primary offensive players to secondary complimentary offensive players within another year or two.

Tavares, Okopso (hopefully! not impressed...again), Bailey, and Grabner should be leading the offense by a much wider margin by 2012-13. By then players like Nino and Petrov will also have usurped the Parenteaus and perhaps even the Comeaus of the world.

We're just a glut of blue-chippers...what can I say?

Old
03-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Wow dude, can I get some of that stuff you're smoking?!?
This COULD happen not saying it WILL happen. I am hypothetically speaking. Thanks for the kind words.

Old
03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
After watching the game against the Flyers tonight, it occurred to me that while Jesse Joenssu is being given a chance on the Bailey line, he's really just a placeholder.

With the Tavares and Nielsen lines all but set in stone with the Moulson/Parenteau (and the you-know-Garth's-not-going-to-let-him-get-away upcoming Grabner contract) signings, and the still-budding chemistry between Bailey and Comeau, this should be the last we see of Joensuu.

Nino, a converted Ullstrom, a promoted Matt Martin, or Petrov will be lining up with Bailey and Comeau on opening day.

Nino looks to be ready, but will be in tough if Petrov finally makes it out of the gulag.

If Petrov finishes his KHL contract, Nino's fate will depend on Ullstrom. Although I predicted a cup of coffee for Ullstrom this year, injuries have slowed him down. Next year he may challenge for the fourth line centre job, unless Konopka is resigned, which is still a possibility. Even then, Ullstrom easily replaces Haley on Konopka's wing, with the opportunity for spot duty or penalty killing. The Islanders don't need to bring Ullstrom up though, and now have the luxury of letting their prospects grow and develop on the farm.

Although Matt Martin has many admirers, there are far superior offensive players coming up through our system now, and its looking more and more like Martin will be relegated to the fourth line. Nino certainly holds more importance to the Islanders than does Martin. A signed Petrov, well, don't even get me started on that one.

If the Islanders want to get bigger and faster, both Nino and Ullstrom make the team next season. The underlined positions represent the only open spots IMO. The fourth line centre job is Konopka's should Garth resign him. It could be that Martin is given the enforcer job exclusively, giving Garth the flexibilty to sign a free agent centre that brings a little more speed if Ullstrom isn't ready. Haley could stay too if Konopka goes, leaving Ullstrom to centre him and Martin. Petrov makes things really interesting, likely meaning Nino spends yet another season in the WHL. Take a look:

Parenteau--Tavares--Moulson
Grabner--Nielsen--Okposo

Comeau--Bailey--Nino
Comeau--Bailey--Petrov

Ullstrom--Konopka--Martin
Haley--Ullstrom--Martin

This team has been built almost exclusively through the draft, and now prospects are starting to show up on the island. If they are ready, players like Nino and Ullstrom won't be left to rot on the vine. As much as the "over ripe" adage makes sense, no NHL team will hold back prospects that are ready to contribute.

So...after their respective seasons, and with another summer ahead, are Nino and Ullstrom both ready to make the Islanders next season?
where's Hunter playing?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:55 AM
TeamKidd

I know, I know, everyone is enamored with the play of the team lately, believe me i know. But what im going to suggest to you is that our first two lines still need work.

i STILL believe that we need a legitimate first line veteran winger to play with Tavares. I know, Paranteau has played fairly well, but i dont see it long term. Tavares makes him a better player, hes just not that good. No where near a legit first line player.

Lets assume, however, that we do NOT sign a first line player...i would still rework the lines to get more out of JT:

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo - dirty work from OK, scoring from MM, and everythign else from JT

Grabner - Neilsen - NINO - youth, speed, strength, and vet presence for the kid (who WILL make the team next year)

Comeau - Bailey - Martin - strong, skilled, tough, but inconsistant big year for bailey and comeau comin up

Haley - konopka/ullstrom - rahk/gillies

Ullstrom (assuming konopka gets signed) and joensuu gets another year in the AHL
Lee back at UND
Petrov back in russia (He wont walk away from his contract and im still dubious of him actually coming over even when its done)

Its going to take longer than most of you think for our prospects to pierce the lineup folks....

Last edited by TeamKidd: 03-27-2011 at 12:04 PM.
TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
where's Hunter playing?
Nowhere near the top-6, I think he'll be bought out.

To answer the OP question, Nino or a UFA will take that spot.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 03:18 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
I know, I know, everyone is enamored with the play of the team lately, believe me i know. But what im going to suggest to you is that our first two lines still need work.

i STILL believe that we need a legitimate first line veteran winger to play with Tavares. I know, Paranteau has played fairly well, but i dont see it long term. Tavares makes him a better player, hes just not that good. No where near a legit first line player.

Lets assume, however, that we do NOT sign a first line player...i would still rework the lines to get more out of JT:

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo - dirty work from OK, scoring from MM, and everythign else from JT

Grabner - Neilsen - NINO - youth, speed, strength, and vet presence for the kid (who WILL make the team next year)

Comeau - Bailey - Martin - strong, skilled, tough, but inconsistant big year for bailey and comeau comin up

Haley - konopka/ullstrom - rahk/gillies

Ullstrom (assuming konopka gets signed) and joensuu gets another year in the AHL
Lee back at UND
Petrov back in russia (He wont walk away from his contract and im still dubious of him actually coming over even when its done)

Its going to take longer than most of you think for our prospects to pierce the lineup folks....
All very interesting, and I've enjoyed your posts in the past. I think with the signing of Parenteau, the first line is set for next season.

The second line has been great, and Okposo's numbers should go way up next year. I think he's squeezing the stick a little now, after being behind the play trying to get his timing back. I have been notoriously hard on Okposo, but in fairness he came back while all while the rest of the team and NHL competition were playing at their best this season. The second line has played well enough (and looked dominant at times) and so will also be kept together next year.

The third line has an open spot IMO, and Nino will line up with Comeau and Bailey for 2011. As much as I want Nino to replace the likes of parenteau, I'm afraid we'll all have to wait one more year.

I like playing the line speculation game too, but where does Parenteau go next year then? And why does he go anywhere if they just signed him?

Old
03-27-2011, 06:37 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Nowhere near the top-6, I think he'll be bought out.
To answer the OP question, Nino or a UFA will take that spot.
I wouldn't anticipate a buy-out. That third line spot that is in question, if healthy, could be his.

Old
03-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Mustang2750

Quote:
where's Hunter playing?
Hopefully nowhere near the Islanders

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

At this point, I'd have to think that Nino will be given every chance to take that RW spot on the Bailey line next season.

We'll talk about Petrov WHEN he's actually a topic. That won't be until he has a contract with the Islanders. I won't believe it until it happens. I suspect that if and when he comes over, he'll be pretty NHL-ready.

Ullstrom may make himself a topic next season. As much as it seems like a reach right now, none of us should be surprised if we see a fourth line of Martin-Ullstrom-Hunter next season, with Haley on a two-way and Gillies dressing for games where fisticuffs are expected. I also think we'll see a few more cups of coffee for Rakhshani.

I'm gonna start leaning in that direction until/unless Konopka is resigned.

Expect Cizikas to not only be signed, but to get boatloads of ice time on the farm.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:50 PM
scott99

I think Nino is already 2 years ahead of Petrov, having played 2 years in North America already. I bet he spends the summer getting stronger and will be an Islander next season. Hell, he already has played 9 NHL games and has an NHL goal. Petrov hasn't even played an exhibition game for the Isles. IF Petrov ever comes to America, he'll be spending at least the first year in Bridgeport. I love the talent he brings to the table, but until he comes over, he shouldn't even be in any discussions.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:55 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Hopefully nowhere near the Islanders
2 yrs. and 4mil left on the contract. He's playing somewhere.

A lot of Hunter hate. I view him as replaceable but would rather see him than Joensuu.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:01 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:

A lot of Hunter hate. I view him as replaceable but would rather see him than Joensuu.
Hunter lost his physicality and his scoring touch. He just isn't right for the direction this team is headed.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:51 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
All very interesting, and I've enjoyed your posts in the past. I think with the signing of Parenteau, the first line is set for next season.

The second line has been great, and Okposo's numbers should go way up next year. I think he's squeezing the stick a little now, after being behind the play trying to get his timing back. I have been notoriously hard on Okposo, but in fairness he came back while all while the rest of the team and NHL competition were playing at their best this season. The second line has played well enough (and looked dominant at times) and so will also be kept together next year.

The third line has an open spot IMO, and Nino will line up with Comeau and Bailey for 2011. As much as I want Nino to replace the likes of parenteau, I'm afraid we'll all have to wait one more year.

I like playing the line speculation game too, but where does Parenteau go next year then? And why does he go anywhere if they just signed him?
thanks bcb, i wholeheartedly agree that as long as Cappy is the coach next year, which im guessing he probably will be, the lines will be somewhere around what you describe. I guess it is hard to argue with success....im just dubious that they'll be able to do it when it matters....we'll find out tho.

I still think that you should put your three best players on the first line, im half tempted to do:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo

just for ***** and giggles to see how that works out, with grabs speed and JTs ability to get the puck to him, wow, that could be lethal. I do like moulson there tho b/c he's more likely to actually score than grabner on his opportunities.

As for PA, if i had my druthers he'd be flipped for a pick but since they just signed him, im guessing thats a clear indication they are happy with him on the first line...whichhh...im not....ergo my lineup redux.

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:15 PM
darkmoon1196

Quote:

Did you see the behind the scenes team photo thing with Konopka? He went to go say hi to Hunter and he was still on crutches, and could hardly get himself up. I wouldn't say he's coming back anytime soon. We don't need him anyway.

darkmoon1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:27 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
where's Hunter playing?
With his kids, or on the fourth line...you think the Islanders are going to play Nino on the fourth line and Hunter on the third line?

The first two lines are set in stone, mon ami...

Old
03-27-2011, 11:30 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I think Nino is already 2 years ahead of Petrov, having played 2 years in North America already. I bet he spends the summer getting stronger and will be an Islander next season. Hell, he already has played 9 NHL games and has an NHL goal. Petrov hasn't even played an exhibition game for the Isles. IF Petrov ever comes to America, he'll be spending at least the first year in Bridgeport. I love the talent he brings to the table, but until he comes over, he shouldn't even be in any discussions.
Petrov has been playing against men for the past three years, has every bit the size that Nino does, with as much offensive upside.

Watch the world championships this off-season where the two will go head to head.

Old
03-27-2011, 11:36 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
thanks bcb, i wholeheartedly agree that as long as Cappy is the coach next year, which im guessing he probably will be, the lines will be somewhere around what you describe. I guess it is hard to argue with success....im just dubious that they'll be able to do it when it matters....we'll find out tho.

I still think that you should put your three best players on the first line, im half tempted to do:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo

just for ***** and giggles to see how that works out, with grabs speed and JTs ability to get the puck to him, wow, that could be lethal. I do like moulson there tho b/c he's more likely to actually score than grabner on his opportunities.

As for PA, if i had my druthers he'd be flipped for a pick but since they just signed him, im guessing thats a clear indication they are happy with him on the first line...whichhh...im not....ergo my lineup redux.
Not happy with PA myself, but he just signed, and seems to have chemistry going on the top line. Maybe if they struggle, or are being outproduced by the Nielsen line, we will see PA shipped out of town, and the lines juggled.

I think that with the way the team has showed they can play, and in particular the great stretches each line has had, they'll be given a shot to start the season.

Old
03-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
where's Hunter playing?
Europe or ECHL. Anything else would give me headaches...

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:41 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
Petrov has been playing against men for the past three years, has every bit the size that Nino does, with as much offensive upside.

Watch the world championships this off-season where the two will go head to head.
It won't be a really good comparison. Switzerland is a team that plays defense first, simply because they're not close in talent to Russia. Niederreiter will be the only offensive weapon they have.

If Petrov makes the Russian team, he'll be surrounded by talented players.

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo
I guaran-***ing-tee you that Tavares would NOT find and make use of Grabner like Nielsen does. It's not because he can't, it's just not his style and it would remove him from the puck too much.

Watch closely and you'll see that Nielsen finds Grabner in a manner few on the team can.

MAYBE Bailey could too, but why fix what ain't broken???

In addition, both Tavares and Okposo like to carry and harness the puck. I don't think they are good for each other (didn't think they had much chemistry last year, where they played the bulk of the season together) and I don't think it'd be good for either Grabner or Tavares to be playing with each other, since Grabner doesn't do that dirty work in the corners and Tavares likes to lead the charge, kind of slowing down things in the process.

Chemistry is simply more important than looking at the stats and saying the three best PPG players should be on the same line.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 03-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote