HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How has Meszaros been?

Old
03-27-2011, 09:54 AM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
How has Meszaros been?

Was a huge fan of his when he was in Ottawa but after he was dealt watched less of him in Tampa. Seen his numbers looking good and his ice time has increased with the Pronger injury.

How has he been this season?
Where do you see him in the future?

In Ottawa when he had confidence he could skate the puck end to end and make plays... has he done stuff like that in Philly? I thought he would be a number one two-way does it all defenseman... had soooo much potential.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
He's been solid. Probably the most consistent blue liner on the team along with Timonen.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:02 AM
RU Flyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Was a huge fan of his when he was in Ottawa but after he was dealt watched less of him in Tampa. Seen his numbers looking good and his ice time has increased with the Pronger injury.

How has he been this season?
Where do you see him in the future?

In Ottawa when he had confidence he could skate the puck end to end and make plays... has he done stuff like that in Philly? I thought he would be a number one two-way does it all defenseman... had soooo much potential.
Honestly, I think he's our future #1 defenseman. He's displayed all the skills necessary this year. He can handle lots of ice time, he has an awesome slapper, he's very physical, knows how to use his size to his advantage, and can skate very well. He gets time on the PP and the PK. When Pronger got injured a while back, Meszaros filled in nicely on our top pairing with Matt Carle. He also plays well when paired with our worst defenseman, Sean O'Donnell. I'm very excited about the future of our defense corps Meszaros, Coburn, Carle, and Gustafsson, who has looked decent so far.

RU Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Has surpassed both Coburn and Carle in terms of all around play. Still has brain farts from time to time, but he hits like a truck, and fires lasers at the net. He has 2 OT winners for us

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
He has played great. Sometimes he goes out of position but at least when he does that he always tries to take someones head off. He has been the most physical player this season on the Flyers in terms of big hits.

Overall I would rate him around where Carle and Coburn are. Probably Carle, Mez then Coburn but its tough.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Garbage Goal

Been our third best d-man behind Timonen and Pronger (when he hasn't been hurt).

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:19 AM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

His salary made me nervous when we got him, but he's earning it. He's certainly turned it around after his off years with Tampa.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:00 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

He's a lot better defensively than I expected.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

He has shown some great consistency and stepped up when Pronger went down. His shot has finally been finding its way to the back of the net, so if he can hit 30pts this season he will be justifying his paycheck.

#1 D is a bit of a stretch at this point, let us see how he handles the playoffs.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
He has honestly surprised me. I thought he would be a Carle-like player but he's got a much better shot and can throw around the body with the best of them. I feel he is earning his salary this season.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:54 PM
RU Flyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
He has shown some great consistency and stepped up when Pronger went down. His shot has finally been finding its way to the back of the net, so if he can hit 30pts this season he will be justifying his paycheck.

#1 D is a bit of a stretch at this point, let us see how he handles the playoffs.
Why not? What else can he do? He's done a fantastic job so far and has staked his claim as our future #1. Maybe he could get a few more points, but those will come when our PP gets back on track. His shot is too good for him to not be scoring more.

Old
03-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Terence Peterman

He's been pretty awesome, and I'm excited to watch him throw guys around in the playoffs.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:07 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Flyerfan View Post
Why not? What else can he do? He's done a fantastic job so far and has staked his claim as our future #1. Maybe he could get a few more points, but those will come when our PP gets back on track. His shot is too good for him to not be scoring more.
He could possibly return to his previous form in Tampa, when he becomes relied upon more.

I have been a Mez supporter from day 1, and he has done a great job this year, outside of a stretch of some pretty bad games (everyone has them). But he still has to prove he can be consistent from year to year as well.

Old
03-27-2011, 01:50 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
He could possibly return to his previous form in Tampa, when he becomes relied upon more.

I have been a Mez supporter from day 1, and he has done a great job this year, outside of a stretch of some pretty bad games (everyone has them). But he still has to prove he can be consistent from year to year as well.
So you're criticizing the guy for not being consistent year to year when he's only played 1 year for the Flyers?

Old
03-27-2011, 02:03 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
So you're criticizing the guy for not being consistent year to year when he's only played 1 year for the Flyers?
Didn't realize you should only look at one year of the players career, to try and determine if he has potential to be a #1 Dman. I guess I could learn a thing or two still.

Old
03-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Mgkibbles

Seems like he's been getting better as the season goes.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Meszaros has been fabulous. I know I'll probably take a lot of heat for this comment, but his play reminds me of a more physical Eric Desjardins. He's the real number 3 of this group and I'll say that by the end of next season, he'll be number 2 on the totem pole.

His years in Tampa Bay were a wash, but from what I've seen of Meszaros this year, it looks like that he finally gets "it" in terms of what a great defenseman is all about. He might not ever put up points like a Letang in Pittsburgh, but he'll be that guy you want out on the ice with 20 seconds remaining in the most crucial game.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Cleary84

Mez is not a #1, but he is damn solid and could be a potential 2-3 for us.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:24 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
Didn't realize you should only look at one year of the players career, to try and determine if he has potential to be a #1 Dman. I guess I could learn a thing or two still.
My apologies, I misread one of your previous posts. I do not feel that Meszaros should be considered a #1.

Old
03-27-2011, 02:33 PM
RU Flyerfan

He's not a number 1 now, but why can't he be in 2-3 years? He'll get loads of experience playing with Pronger and Timonen, so he can be eased into that role, not thrown into it by default. He looked great in Ottawa, possibly a number 1 until he went to Tampa Bay and was thrown into that role, which didn't suit his development. Now he's back in a good hockey environment in Philly and is asked to do a little less. He's thriving. When asked to go back into the role he had in Tampa Bay earlier when Pronger went down, he performed well. He has true #1 potential!

Old
03-27-2011, 03:48 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Seeing how he has been to a CUP final before he brings a ton of work ethic to the table and I've enjoyed his physical play of late.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:30 PM
CTU2fan

I really like Meszaros' game. I think he could be a #1 type guy if he was a bit better decision maker; right now he gambles a little too much to really anchor a top pairing. Ideally he's a #2 guy paired with a guy like Pronger or Timonen...he's a little bit wasted as a 3rd pair guy.

But there's no reason he can't improve as he matures, he's still a youngish d-man with room to learn to be a better decision maker. That's not to say he's bad in that regard, but he's not on the level of the real top guys.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't know why so many people are saying Mez can't be a #1. It surely isn't a given that he is going to be a #1, but he is only 25. He has shown in his career that he is capable of it. That doesn't mean he will be, but it certainly is not out of the question.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:33 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know why so many people are saying Mez can't be a #1. It surely isn't a given that he is going to be a #1, but he is only 25. He has shown in his career that he is capable of it. That doesn't mean he will be, but it certainly is not out of the question.
he is definitely more suited for that role than either Carle or Coburn too, as a number 1 needs to be able to play in both zones

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:43 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I don't think anyone really said he can't be one. I just stated that it is a bit of stretch at this point, and we need to see more of him.

He has to show more consistency when he is being relied upon as a top pairing. And not just game to game, but year to year.