HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Thread - Kopitar (Out for Season), Williams (Out 4 weeks), Parse (Day to Day)

Old
03-27-2011, 01:48 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
It's not the end of the world. They have been scoring by committee all season long. That isn't going to change.

The Kings are built around world-class defense from the goalie on out and that is all still intact.

You can't replace Kopitar, but the damage is mitigated somewhat by balanced scoring throughout the lineup and a healthy defense.

The Kings will get Williams back toward the end of round 1. Kopitar around the end of round 2. The Kings can certainly still do plenty of damage in the meantime, and fortunately they have put themselves in to a position where they only need a few more points to secure a playoff spot.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Johnny Utah

We don't have to recall a center.

Handzus, Stoll, Richardson and Lewis are the centers....move Richie back to center and call up a winger from Manchester.

But it will probably be Elkins, Cliche or King. I am hoping for Holloway or Kozun.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:04 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
So tired of the negativity. I've been playing and following this game for over 20 years and I've seen a lot of stuff go down. I know that alot of us, as kings fans, have been conditioned to expect the worst, but geez, have a little faith.

The people that are claiming the season is over are the same people saying that the season was over at the end of that horrendous home stand and the lot of you make me sick. The handful of us that stood up and said this team could pull through then are the same group saying they can do it now. If you think our season is over I think it's time you head over to the Laker or Dodger boards.

This is a huge blow to our team but you still have to play the games and quite frankly the pessimistic attitude on here is embarassing.
FREAKING EXACTLY........

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:19 AM
bobafettish*

i dont know how or why, but this has to be Terry Murrays fault.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:41 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHoler View Post
see this is were our perspectives differ. I believed in this team from the start and gave Murray the benefit of the doubt all season while everyone repeatedly took a **** on him.
Right now the two best forwards on this team are out for the season, the top prospects are not here, year long inconsistencies, questionable asset management, and again..Kopi's injury is a painful blow. The forecast doesn't look pretty from my view, but keep drinking that koolaid if it makes you feel better.
Understanding that this playoff run was likely more about further development of the young players than it would likely be about a cup run is just what it is. I would be estatic if the Kings went deeper than round 2 in any case.

I have been a believer in what Lombardi and his team are doing with this organization from day 1. Don't see how that makes me a koolaid drinker since the results thus far seem to justify my position on that subject.

The assets have been managed very well overall, so I don't know what you are talking about. I doubt you do either.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
Heal up Kopi, the team will be waiting for you in the WCF.
That's the spirit!

BTW, is there anyone else who thinks that Kopitar will be harder to replace in defense than in offense? Sure, Kopitar is a big magnet for opposition D, they don't have to double anyone now, but still - as it has been mentioned - the scoring is well distributed and it might become even more distributed (because both Williams and especially Kopitar played big minutes). In defense, on the other hand, when facing the guys that Kopitar has been facing this season, there will be a big hole and there is only one man that can fill that: Handzus playing like we have seen him play when he is at his best.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:58 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

While the Cup this year would be incredible, even with Kopi, JW and Parse it would be a long shot. My hope at the start of the season was that the Kings could improve on their previous season and make it into the second round. If they can do that, then I'll be very happy. While this will be harder to do without Kopi, it's still very achievable...as long as we don't get Chicago.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 03:04 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

MRI will show if there is more damage to Kopi than just the ankle...now I am worried.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

A foreshadow...or more, if you are so inclined.

http://lakingsnews.com/2011/03/27/believe-2/

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Moscowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
A foreshadow...or more, if you are so inclined.

http://lakingsnews.com/2011/03/27/believe-2/
I like it. Especially the "surging" Trevor Lewis. Go Kings!

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Orenji

The Kings just need to hope they can grab the 4th/5th spot and hope the Blackhawks can't get up there and we get the Predators or Coyotes.

They wouldn't be easy wins, but we match up well with them. It would come down to how much Quick has grown since the Canucks series last season.

I just want to finish the season on a high note. If we could get to 100 points, it would be incredible.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:36 AM
winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
So tired of the negativity. I've been playing and following this game for over 20 years and I've seen a lot of stuff go down. I know that alot of us, as kings fans, have been conditioned to expect the worst, but geez, have a little faith.

The people that are claiming the season is over are the same people saying that the season was over at the end of that horrendous home stand and the lot of you make me sick. The handful of us that stood up and said this team could pull through then are the same group saying they can do it now. If you think our season is over I think it's time you head over to the Laker or Dodger boards.

This is a huge blow to our team but you still have to play the games and quite frankly the pessimistic attitude on here is embarassing.

Really? OK I'll take your word for it. I think most here are discussion the potential impacts without getting too hysterical. Having two of the top 3/6 gone is going to hurt. We'll see how it turns out & hope for the best.

Last edited by winning: 03-27-2011 at 06:41 AM.
winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
how bad are angle breaks? is this something that anze will be able to bounce back from? I'm
Hoping we see the same anze next year

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:59 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
how bad are angle breaks? is this something that anze will be able to bounce back from? I'm
Hoping we see the same anze next year
It shouldn't be too big of an issue next season, unless the MRI on Monday shows ligament damage....then there may be some significant long term effects.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:56 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Los Angeles Kings’ Playoff Success In Jeopardy After Losing Anze Kopitar

Los Angeles Kings’ Playoff Success In Jeopardy After Losing Anze Kopitar

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Doyle

The Los Angeles Kings beat the Colorado Avalanche by a score of 4-1 but the victory is vastly overshadowed by [...]

http://nhlhotstove.com/kopitar-out-s...-broken-ankle/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:47 AM
lafan

Holloway cant replace Kopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
We don't have to recall a center.

Handzus, Stoll, Richardson and Lewis are the centers....move Richie back to center and call up a winger from Manchester.

But it will probably be Elkins, Cliche or King. I am hoping for Holloway or Kozun.
but just realized he is on his way to a 30 goal season with the Monarchs who have only had one 30 goal scorer in the last 7 years.Maybe its time Dean.

lafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Orenji

I think the most pivotal person who has the greatest chance to shine is Stoll. He used to be considered a guy who could become a top #1 center in this league and he's fallen into a decent/sometimes above average 2nd center. I don't know, but just looking at his shootouts, the guy has one of the best shots in the game. He needs to find the puck more around the net and stop firing blasts from the blue line. The dude has freaking pinpoint accuracy from closer range.

I really hope he steps his game up even more. His scary shooting one-on-one can't just be luck. He needs to play more on the boards and get shots near the circles. Even if Kopitar and Williams were around, he still has the scariest shot on our team.

Last edited by Orenji: 03-27-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old
03-27-2011, 11:40 AM
SLang

This is gonna sound stupid, but I don't even want Kopitar to come back this season unless it's to walk out on the ice to hoist the Cup in street clothes. Think about it. If the Kings are still in it when Kopi COULD come back it will mean they are in the third round and by then they will have proven it can be done without Kopi.

Kopi needs to recover fully and be 100% ready for next year, which is the first year most of us have pegged the Kings to be true contenders. We don't want Kopi to end up with chronic foot issues ala Peter Forsberg. I will gladly give up this season for a healthy Kopi for the next 10 seasons.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Bryaden Schenn is who we need, he can play behind Stoll and/or Handzus and take over that PP1 center spot when needed. What really sucks is this would have been Lokti's time to shine.

LA is hurting and our chances just got very slim, as fans we don't give up but reality can be a cruel mistress at times.

Phoenix has had our number too much lately for me to want LA to face them in the first round. In fact there are no favorable opponents, each one is equally scary in there own right.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:01 PM
johnjm22

For some strange reason I feel confident.

A lot of times teams actually play better when their best player goes down.

I believe the Kings record actually improved with out Gretzky in 92-93.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:04 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

i like you.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Orenji

Yeah, I actually feel weirdly confident, too. This could be crushed if we look awful against the Oilers, but the 3rd period was nice. Smyth showed up. Lewis showed up.

It's the Patrick Ewing theory sponsored by Bill Simmons. Your best player leaves/goes down and the team suddenly becomes better.

It also takes off every inch of pressure this team had. Everyone was saying if we didn't at least get to the 2nd round and get close to the WCF this season that we have underachieved. Now with Kopitar/Williams gone, this team can just play with no pressure.

Old
03-27-2011, 12:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

Kurri was probably a better center at that point in time, when they replay the games I forgot just how good Jari Kurri was. Different team but the one thing I keep thinking about is the Terry Murray system. This system seems to handcuff gifted players like Kopitar as there is no change in structure no matter who they are playing or what the situation is. The puck is to be dumped in and worked along the boards until a clear point shot is available from the defense on the same side of the ice-the puck is not to cross the middle of the ice. It's a boring system that seems to be in place because of a perceived lack of scoring depth. SO, if there is a team that is designed to lose star players it's Terry Murray's system. This is the greatest test of character we've seen so far in the Lombardi era. Instead of crying about Kopitar and Williams it's time for Simmonds to realize his full potential, it's time for Doughty to put down the mixed drinks and cheeseburgers and get into excellent shape so he can take over games and it's time for the captain to put the team on his back and lead by example. It's time to step up.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:43 PM
SuperAlmeida

hockeybuzzbarry matthew barry

Several sources telling me Kopitar injury a lot worse than expected.

Take it for what its worth!

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote