HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kris Versteeg

Old
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

vCash: 500
Kris Versteeg

So what are everyone's thoughts on Kris Versteeg? He's played around 20 games for us, give or take a few, and the playoffs are right around the corner...i just want to see how everyone feels about his play.

For me personally, i'd like to see a little bit more from him. He seems to turn the puck over a little too much. The fact that he only has 1 assist in the games he's played with the Flyers scares me as well. He hasn't been awful, but it's not like he's playing with scrubs on his line either. Like I said, he hasn't been terrible, but I definitely think we need to see a little bit more from him.

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 05:11 PM
duffy9748

Yeah I think he has underachieved a bit but he still has plenty of time to turn it around. Hopefully he pots some clutch goals in the playoffs like he did for Chicago last year.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 05:25 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I think 20 games with the team is a a good deal of time to 'get things' - while he is good some of the time, mostly I'm not pleased.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I think 20 games with the team is a a good deal of time to 'get things' - while he is good some of the time, mostly I'm not pleased.
Agreed. Aside from his game against the Leafs(among others) he hasn't played up to my expectations for him. Not saying he's a bad player, just saying he needs to turn things around very soon. Lavy's tried different lines with him including putting him at center and he's still snakebitten. It might not be fair to throw that on him because the whole team's been snakebitten offensively.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think he has been as expected. I don't think he has done a bad job but he also hasn't really impressed me. It's easy for a guy like Versteeg to get lost on a team as deep as this one.

EDIT: His defense has been pretty solid.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
He's faster than I thought. Not a bad defender for a guy his size. All in all I think he makes a good second fiddle to Richards. They both play a nice, solid two-way game.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:38 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 691
Wayne Fish has an article:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/fl...5bc31e7c1.html

Quote:
Versteeg doesn't sound concerned. He's a proven goal-scorer and knows how to play at crunch time, as the Flyers learned when facing the Stanley Cup-winning Chicago Blackhawks last June.

"Obviously, offensively, you're not where you want to be," Versteeg said before the game at Nassau Coliseum. "But that comes through hard work and good bounces here and there.

"I think chance-wise and opportunity-wise, it's all been there. For whatever reason, it doesn't go in but I think it's also getting adjusted to playing a position and taking it from there."

Coach Peter Laviolette experimented with Versteeg at center for a couple games with James van Riemsdyk and Daniel Carcillo last week. But for the past few games, he's been back at wing with Mike Richards.

"You know, it's been good over the last seven or eight games with different guys and getting used to different players," Versteeg said. "In some cases you have to play with different guys. The lineup is so deep you can play with almost anyone at any time.

"Now I'm back with Richie and we've had some success. The last two games have gone pretty well. Opportunity-wise against Washington was pretty good and Richie scored a goal. Like I said, it will come with hard work. A guy like Richie, I just have to find ways to get open."

Versteeg admits he's been a little jumpy with the puck. With time, things will settle down.

"Yeah, you start gripping your stick a little tight at times," he said. "But that's not the case right now. It's just bearing down and putting them in when you can. I've been through stretches before where it's been like this and you just have to work hard to get out of them."

Laviolette isn't worried about Versteeg's offensive production. Just stay on the plus side, which he's done with a plus 2.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He's going to score very important goals for the flyers in the play-offs. I just keep getting flash backs of RJ umberger, and I have no idea why

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Mgkibbles

Like almost every other Flyer, Versteeg is at his best in the Playoffs. I have no concerns about him right now, other than he tries to do too much from time to time.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

short answer?

useless

lots of turnovers from attempted cute plays
scared to go into the corners
lazy

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
short answer?

useless

lots of turnovers from attempted cute plays
scared to go into the corners
lazy

Agree with the bolded. Not even close with the rest of your assessment.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:39 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Like almost every other Flyer, Versteeg is at his best in the Playoffs. I have no concerns about him right now, other than he tries to do too much from time to time.
I agree, he tries to do too much sometimes, especially in his own zone. He's also defensively responsible, and is a great stick handler. Can't wait to see what he brings in the playoffs.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 03:37 PM
04' hockey

good on ice vision
quick
proacts instead of reacting
young
needs TIME with new teammates
we wouldn't have gotten anything close to him with that draft pick and the time to invest and WIN is NOW
Flyer fans need patience here

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 03:58 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Agree with the bolded. Not even close with the rest of your assessment.
LOL

then watch him more closely

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:05 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Versteeg has played pretty decent for us. Nothing great so far but he has been a good player and will get better in time. He can also play short handed which is a plus.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:25 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Steeger has been decent, but I was expecting a little more. He was ticketed as a two-way forward but I haven't been impressed with his defensive game. It seems like he was targeted for lack of better options. Had the cap situation been more prudently handled, the Flyers could have gone after a more expensive guy like Penner, who went for a similar price. I just don't think the Flyers did best by adding another small, non-physical forward. And I honestly don't see Steeger having a long tenure as a Flyer.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:49 PM
BernieParent

The ideal forward to go out and get specifically for Richards' line in the playoffs, for me, was a guy who could add to great defensive-zone coverage, help to create a turnover, rush down the ice with Richards on a 2-on-1 and pot Richards' pass. I haven't seen much of that from Versteeg yet. Then again, we haven't seen consistent play from most of the line-up of late. I'm hoping he -- along with the rest of the club -- pick it up and go 2 games better than last year in the playoffs.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:32 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Steeger has been decent, but I was expecting a little more. He was ticketed as a two-way forward but I haven't been impressed with his defensive game. It seems like he was targeted for lack of better options. Had the cap situation been more prudently handled, the Flyers could have gone after a more expensive guy like Penner, who went for a similar price. I just don't think the Flyers did best by adding another small, non-physical forward. And I honestly don't see Steeger having a long tenure as a Flyer.
He is pretty physical. If you want to see non-physical look at Leino. Though I'd like to see Asham back next season!

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Cleary84

He obviously read this thread before tonight's game. Great 1st period by Steeger. All over the ice and being a good pest.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
LI Fly Guy

His fist pump is dynamite!

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
He is pretty physical. If you want to see non-physical look at Leino. Though I'd like to see Asham back next season!
"Pretty" physical? I don't buy it. He has hustle, for sure. Feisty? Maybe.

If I want to see non-physical, I'd look at the majority of Flyers forwards. Even our forwards who are supposed to be physical (Richards, Hartnell, Powe...) are looking pretty lethargic right now and their lack of edge has seeped through to the rest of the team. This has been the trend over the last 10+ games.

Steeger brings some energy, but its not as if he's some imposing force out there. Certainly not enough to reverse the lethargy trend.

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:17 AM
infidelappel*

He's had some issues with his game, but the one thing I'm liking is that he knows how to finish and is clicking pretty well offensively with Richards. I wish he'd cut out the ill-timed penalties and turnovers being too fancy, but it's refreshing to see Richards play with someone who buries the chances he feeds them for once.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:25 AM
dats81

He has to turn it up in the playoffs imho. Else he won't last long as a Flyer with that price-tag.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:58 AM
phillyfanatic

I am liking Versteeg and JVR on the Richards line. IT FINALLY looks like Richards has a line he can succeed with. LOVE IT!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:21 AM
esuhock22

It's hard to fully judge him right now when the entire team hasn't been playing to their capability. I like what I see from him when his legs are moving and he is creating chances. Only problem is I'd like to see him put forward a more consistent game. That can be said about a lot of Flyers though...

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote