HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread 10 "Nerd Business"

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2011, 06:57 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Had nothing to do so I went to the city to get Knick autos. I don't think I've ever been this cold before, I'm literally frozen. I did get Fields, Melo, and Billups though and the latter two rarely or don't sign at all.

Old
03-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

The last two days have sucked for me. Along with a couple of my friends from my school, I got flat out rejected from NYU, which was a complete shock to many. They just hate my school. A few of my friends with much lower grades in other schools got in without a problem.

Then today I got rejected from BU. I was never really considering it, but it sucks to know that a friend of mine with much lower grades that went to summer school last year for failing math got in over me with full financial aid. That killed me. He also got full financial aid to NYU...Oh the mysteries of life.

So as of now, I'm a Villanova Wildcat and I'm really happy to say so I'm just waiting on Holy Cross and Cornell now. I'm hoping that I can turn all this bitterness that's accumulated in me the past two days into a great start in college wherever I go.

Sorry guys. Just needed a place to rant.

Old
03-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
The last two days have sucked for me. Along with a couple of my friends from my school, I got flat out rejected from NYU, which was a complete shock to many. They just hate my school. A few of my friends with much lower grades in other schools got in without a problem.

Then today I got rejected from BU. I was never really considering it, but it sucks to know that a friend of mine with much lower grades that went to summer school last year for failing math got in over me with full financial aid. That killed me. He also got full financial aid to NYU...Oh the mysteries of life.

So as of now, I'm a Villanova Wildcat and I'm really happy to say so I'm just waiting on Holy Cross and Cornell now. I'm hoping that I can turn all this bitterness that's accumulated in me the past two days into a great start in college wherever I go.

Just saying...you do know that financial aid is need based and not merit based, right?

Old
03-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Just saying...you do know that financial aid is need based and not merit based, right?
You do know that you're coming off as an *******, right? Actually it's both nowadays. I still have to pay $26K a year to Nova and I can barely afford that. My parents are still paying off my sister's loans and I have a younger sister in high school who will be in college next year. I understand the whole financial process. I got screwed over.

My friend who got full financial aid didn't list his father in his financial aid forms....basically saying he does not exist because he came to this country illegally. Is this fair? He gets all the financial support he needs from all of his family members and never needs to worry about money. Now I have to work off my loans during and after college while he gets a full ride. I cannot see how this is fair at all.

Old
03-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:

Maybe this will change your mind: as I sat in the Starbuck's of the U-Miami library the other day I basked in the glory of the tight skirts and short shorts. I hear its like 40 degrees in PA at this time.

Old
03-26-2011, 01:54 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

Quote:

sucks dude, but that's ok, villanova is a great school as well. I also got rejected by NYU, but I got accepted to BU. got like 26k in financial aid (about 17-18 in grants too). Considering my family isn't exactly poor, im happy with it. I think BU is in my top two choices now.

Old
03-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

I would actually still have trouble picking from the three. Cornell is a reach though.

Old
03-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Its the same with law school. As a minority, you can get into Harvard for instance with a 3.8 GPA and only a 167 LSAT score, whereas if you are a non-minority you need a 3.8 GPA and at least a 175 to even be considered. Its bull crap, but thats all I'll say because I don't think we can discuss it in this thread.

Old
03-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
I would actually still have trouble picking from the three. Cornell is a reach though.
The Ivy Leagues are incredibly overrated, in my opinion. I got into 3 Ivy Leagues (Harvard, Yale, Brown) out of high school and turned all three of them down. Campus culture sucked. Bunch of snooty rich kids. Undergraduate work isn't incredibly different between good schools.

I'll take my full scholarship over $50k/year in debt.

Old
03-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
The Ivy Leagues are incredibly overrated, in my opinion. I got into 3 Ivy Leagues (Harvard, Yale, Brown) out of high school and turned all three of them down. Campus culture sucked. Bunch of snooty rich kids. Undergraduate work isn't incredibly different between good schools.

I'll take my full scholarship over $50k/year in debt.
Wow I commend you for doing that. That's amazing. Where did you end up going?

Old
03-26-2011, 08:58 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

How many people here are even 1/10th my worth in e-dollars. The diffident posture of the NYR board when it comes to betting e dollars on games is absurd. Who stepped up to the plate and put it all on the line against Boston? Lundqvuist, Girardi? No, BRONX_MADNESS was the only member MAN ENOUGH to lay down all his e dollars. Does anybody else even have 1,000 e dollars? All I see is 50's and 500's up and down the board...egregious. SAD, SO SAD.

just kidding guys I am richer than all of you though

Old
03-26-2011, 09:00 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Just read the posts before my glorious post I'm so rich.

Lol @ qualifying intelligence through test scores. ENOUGH SAID.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
Just read the posts before my glorious post I'm so rich.

Lol @ qualifying intelligence through test scores. ENOUGH SAID.
Who are you? That's what colleges do. There's no other way to.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:45 PM
EmpireStateofMind

Haha saw this in my news feed

Old
03-26-2011, 10:11 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I'm happy to say I'll be a Baruch Bearcat. Confirmed my decision by buying a Nike Bearcats shirt when I was there for that placement test

Old
03-27-2011, 12:05 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
No politics. If you want to discuss affirmative action, take it to the politics board.

It's just pain.
Old
03-27-2011, 12:07 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
How many people here are even 1/10th my worth in e-dollars. The diffident posture of the NYR board when it comes to betting e dollars on games is absurd. Who stepped up to the plate and put it all on the line against Boston? Lundqvuist, Girardi? No, BRONX_MADNESS was the only member MAN ENOUGH to lay down all his e dollars. Does anybody else even have 1,000 e dollars? All I see is 50's and 500's up and down the board...egregious. SAD, SO SAD.

just kidding guys I am richer than all of you though
I had just under 14,000, but I lost it when I bet it all on the Rangers when they played the Ducks. Or the Wild, I don't remember.

Old
03-27-2011, 12:55 AM
savebyrichter35

My car got stolen from in front of my apartment in Flushing 3 weeks ago, and in my car was my white Lundqvist jersey with every Rangers autograph on it from the last 4 years. I figured I'd never get the car back because it was a civic and tons of people told me civics are stolen all the time for parts. Well, I got a phone call from the 25th precinct in Harlem a few hours ago and they found the car! Two kids were in the car parked in front of a fire hydrant where the cop said there's drug deals frequently, so he approached them and they took off in my car, going in the wrong direction down Madison. The cops had a tough time catching up to them because of traffic, so the 2 kids got out of the car and ran on foot and left the car. They didn't catch the 2 *******s but they got my car! Unfortunately, the only thing (aside from stuff like the EZPass and loose change) they stole was my bag with my Lundqvist jersey in it The car was found with a whole bunch of GPS's in it and it smelled horrible of smoke, but the rest of my stuff (my skates, baseball glove, CD player, etc.) were all still in the car. I'll probably be more upset about the Ranger jersey tomorrow but I'm thrilled they found the car!

Old
03-27-2011, 01:00 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
My car got stolen from in front of my apartment in Flushing 3 weeks ago, and in my car was my white Lundqvist jersey with every Rangers autograph on it from the last 4 years. I figured I'd never get the car back because it was a civic and tons of people told me civics are stolen all the time for parts. Well, I got a phone call from the 25th precinct in Harlem a few hours ago and they found the car! Two kids were in the car parked in front of a fire hydrant where the cop said there's drug deals frequently, so he approached them and they took off in my car, going in the wrong direction down Madison. The cops had a tough time catching up to them because of traffic, so the 2 kids got out of the car and ran on foot and left the car. They didn't catch the 2 *******s but they got my car! Unfortunately, the only thing (aside from stuff like the EZPass and loose change) they stole was my bag with my Lundqvist jersey in it The car was found with a whole bunch of GPS's in it and it smelled horrible of smoke, but the rest of my stuff (my skates, baseball glove, CD player, etc.) were all still in the car. I'll probably be more upset about the Ranger jersey tomorrow but I'm thrilled they found the car!
That's ****ing awesome man. I would try to contact someone from the front office at the Rangers and tell them about the story. Who knows, maybe they hook you up with a new jersey that's autographed.

Old
03-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Wow I commend you for doing that. That's amazing. Where did you end up going?
Currently attending the University of Pittsburgh on a full scholarship. Downside, surrounded by Pens fans.

Old
03-27-2011, 01:10 AM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
That's ****ing awesome man. I would try to contact someone from the front office at the Rangers and tell them about the story. Who knows, maybe they hook you up with a new jersey that's autographed.
Eh, it's really not the same. I'm one of the one's that usually goes early\stays after games for autographs, but I never bring pictures like everyone else, the jersey was the only thing I ever got signed. It literally had about 60-70 autographs on it, anywhere from Jagr to Matt Maccarone lol. Who knows, I certainly wasn't expecting to find my car so maybe the jersey will show up somewhere. Crazier things have happened I suppose.

Old
03-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

VCU: Trolling the NCAA Tournament

Old
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
Eh, it's really not the same. I'm one of the one's that usually goes early\stays after games for autographs, but I never bring pictures like everyone else, the jersey was the only thing I ever got signed. It literally had about 60-70 autographs on it, anywhere from Jagr to Matt Maccarone lol. Who knows, I certainly wasn't expecting to find my car so maybe the jersey will show up somewhere. Crazier things have happened I suppose.
Yeah, understandable. I'm one that hangs out before and sometimes after not only to get autographs, but talk with a lot of the people that are there also that I know. Part of the experience with going to the game IMO. Still fun even if I don't get anything signed.

Gonna be tough to get that Maccarone signature again too if they had given you a jersey

Old
03-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

So with VCU winning, I'm currently in the lead in my group. If Kentucky loses, I will be collecting $200+ on Tuesday

Old
03-27-2011, 06:35 PM
YetAnotherNorwegian

Closed Thread