HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ticket Prices Going Up Next Season

Old
03-27-2011, 12:46 AM
agentj*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Slightly more than an 8.5% increase for you... Not as bad as my 23.5%, but still too high IMO.
It's negligible when you figure they haven't had an increase since the lockout season. Although reserved parking went up last year by $2.

I just remember back to last Feb (2010) when they were trying to get me to switch to club box 16 and offered me locked in pricing for three years at $130 per ticket but with $40 stored value thrown in.

What a difference a year makes (with a run to the finals in there)

agentj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentj View Post
It's negligible when you figure they haven't had an increase since the lockout season. Although reserved parking went up last year by $2.

I just remember back to last Feb (2010) when they were trying to get me to switch to club box 16 and offered me locked in pricing for three years at $130 per ticket but with $40 stored value thrown in.

What a difference a year makes (with a run to the finals in there)
Granted on the lower ones on ones such as yours you can make an argument that the increase is less over a two year span... But the same case cannot be said in my case with an almost three times as much increase. Also, in your case there is an across the board increase of exactly the same amount in the entire section... In my case some STHs were hit harder than others; some were not even bumped at all.

To be honest I'd feel a hell of a lot better had they kept the allotted section/row groups and averaged out the increase... While they still would have been too high, they would no have been as high for me, and I would have not felt like I was unfairly restructured.

I was afraid of exactly what I see here... You are not hit hard so your are understandably not upset... People several rows above me were not increased so they are as happy a pigs in slop, understandably also... No one will join those like me and my partner unless they are in similar situations. The Flyers are smart businessmen as they have only screwed a minority badly.

As you alluded to... Timing is everything... the team is a hot commodity; now's the time to pull this crap.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
And the prices have gone up well over inflation... Seats were $8.50 for good seats per game, now we are talking ten times that in many case, or more. Has our disposable income risen that much in comparison? Is a $1.25/hr minimum wage job back then now a $12.50+/hr one?... Is a $200.00/wk job now a $2,000.00/wk position? In any case, back then it was easier to attend most games and park for free or for a buck or so... now we are talking about a couple hundred for a pair of seats and $150.00 or so to park and pushing $10.00 a pop for a beer including a tip and a fin plus for a dog and more than that for a soda... People HAVE to share Season Tickets and a trick like this last tier pricing per row really bumps up our per game cost and puts us in a hardship finding partners or moving many games.

To sum it up... Our seats will rise a full 23.5% while a people in the 8th row will have NO increase whatsoever... twenty-three-pointFREAKING-five FREAKINGpercent... My income will not.
Inflation is irrelevant here... tickets to hockey games is pure disposable income, and purely derivative of supply v. demand. If demand is high, then they can raise ticket prices (demand is high).

I understand being irritated that the prices went up, but the applied math you're putting in here is completely without relation to the Flyers business and determining what they can charge for tickets. Flyers tickets have never been based on minimum wage.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Inflation is irrelevant here... tickets to hockey games is pure disposable income, and purely derivative of supply v. demand. If demand is high, then they can raise ticket prices (demand is high).

I understand being irritated that the prices went up, but the applied math you're putting in here is completely without relation to the Flyers business and determining what they can charge for tickets. Flyers tickets have never been based on minimum wage.
I totally understand your point... and unfortunately supply and demand and what they can get out of the fans short of killing the golden goose IS totally in play here.

I guess what I'm trying to say... no matter how feebly I may be doing it... is that the Flyers cannot use inflation as an excuse in their raising the prices. I was using minimum wage as way of showing the relationship of the ticket price then and now and how fans used to be able to afford a complete season then but now a complete season is not so much the toss around cash as it once was... I also understand that the facility and the overheads today are way different than in 1967 and drives the costs greatly... mere cost of living increases sadly is not in play here. I concede a poor argument.

But again my main argument is that the way they revamped the way the fans must pay on a row basis in the Mezzanine has caused a 23.5% increase or more for some while others have no increase at all... and in some cases such as the Blue Line sections and the upper rows in some sections there may even be a reduction... We have a Robin Hood situation where they are stealing from some to give to others... but I am not the fat cat that needs to make up for others reduced increases.

In our case a fan that has been on board from the late Sixties may be forced out due to a 23.5% increase that he objects to while a new fan sitting in the nosebleed section that may not be around after another season or two gets to feel good.

My partner and I came with our other partners a that time -- now there are just us -- to all 45 home games (including preseason games) when the Flyers couldn't' make he Postseason for five complete seasons... and suffered all those short one one and done PO years... And now we are asked to fork over $23.5% more while all the bandwagon fans are supporting them. I personally have been attending from before the First Cup -- and then, as a young father of two, it was really a luxury for even those cheap tickets I talked about... Can I afford it? Yes I suppose I could... Will I continue? I will but most likely my partner will not... but the most important question is SHOULD I have to? NO I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO... not when others are not asked to do the same.

Again, I apologize to all for all my rants tonight... Not that I'm going to stop them.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 03-27-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old
03-27-2011, 02:41 AM
Jester

Well, clearly the evaluation of the tickets you have suggest that they were previously under priced. Sucks, but that's the way these things work.

Frankly, I'm a graduate student without the disposable income to afford even a partial season ticket plan (which I used to have)... So, my sympathy is pretty limited. I wish I was in a position where it was even an issue for me.

I also think it's bizarre that you're talking about bandwagon fans in reference to the Flyers and their ticket packages. You've been going to games all this time, they've never really struggled for attendance... even when the team was awful. While there are certainly bandwagon fans out there, there's a LOT of die hard Flyer fans that haven't had season tickets, and/or are just beginning to grow into an income that can support season tickets.

Old
03-27-2011, 06:40 AM
xxjimmypxx

Quote:
A few things:

I'm keeping my seats somehow, but 100% of the price on my ledger is not a good situation... I'm going to have to pay some bread to transfer the account ownership by Flyers rules first off; dead money like a little seat licence.
They must have changed policies, 3 years ago I switched an account all that was needed was a Signed letter from the original seat holder faxed to the box office. With a little help from 2 Customer Service Agent's, I had control of my new seats before the Playoffs started. No cost, but customer service was so much better 3 years ago then it is now.

xxjimmypxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjimmypxx View Post
They must have changed policies, 3 years ago I switched an account all that was needed was a Signed letter from the original seat holder faxed to the box office. With a little help from 2 Customer Service Agent's, I had control of my new seats before the Playoffs started. No cost, but customer service was so much better 3 years ago then it is now.
Yeah, that's how I got mine (it was during the summer though). My friend paid the deposit, but wasn't going to renew until I had asked. So, I just paid the deposit back to my friend. I did the same thing when I moved back to the top row.

When I renewed for early bird, I didn't even ask if they were going to raise prices. I knew after 3 years of not doing it (and 3 years of not knowing they were going to make the playoffs at this point in the season), so I wasn't all that interested in rhetoric. They could have done it after the fact, but they wanted to start getting the money before the end of the fiscal calendar. I made sure I sell a lot on the website just so I could roll over the credit (and/or pay for the playoffs ahead of time as well). If the Flyers go out in the first round, I basically financed the price hike already.

I also know the feeling though of having a ton of people telling you they want tickets and then disappearing. I post all the ones I want to sell on the ticket marketplace, and if they want them come get them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I've got a few questions.
Select-A-Seat could be hilarious this season. Could people really look to move up instead of down in the upper level?
Any ideas of what face value will be for seats?
Where did the family section go? (and trust me, it wasn't getting used by families. When my kids are the only ones in the row, and some guy three seats away is getting it on with his girlfriend instead of watching the game) They had already dispatched the kids tickets for this season, which meant all of those seats were $20.
Are LL sections 117 and 121 remaining the same as the past so that all of the Flyers' literature can say that they only raised some prices?
Anyone else want to join in as a ticket partner with me and one other guy?

Last edited by Murphy7: 03-27-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:16 AM
agentj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I've got a few questions.
Select-A-Seat could be hilarious this season. Could people really look to move up instead of down in the upper level?
Any ideas of what face value will be for seats?
Where did the family section go? (and trust me, it wasn't getting used by families. When my kids are the only ones in the row, and some guy three seats away is getting it on with his girlfriend instead of watching the game) They had already dispatched the kids tickets for this season, which meant all of those seats were $20.
Are LL sections 117 and 121 remaining the same as the past so that all of the Flyers' literature can say that they only raised some prices?
Anyone else want to join in as a ticket partner with me and one other guy?
It looks like 117 and 121 remain the same at $79 per ticket. I can only tell you what my face value will be in Cadillac Grille Row 1.

Cost is $102 Face will be $146. Face THIS year is $113.

I know for a fact there are ST available in 117 and 121 for next season. That looks to be the best "bargain" in the building ... especially 117 if you like to be across from the benches as opposed to 121.

The "family section" was a ridiculous notion from the get-go as clearly those tickets were bought up and scalped along with the rest of the building. There is really no way to police a "family section" unless you are going to go to the lengths of offering ST plans that require copies of birth certificates of your kids. Even then what's to stop one from buying them and then simply selling them off?

It was a publicity stunt from day one ... now with demand high it's unneeded.

Old
03-27-2011, 11:28 AM
agentj*

Quote:
I totally understand your point... and unfortunately supply and demand and what they can get out of the fans short of killing the golden goose IS totally in play here.

I guess what I'm trying to say... no matter how feebly I may be doing it... is that the Flyers cannot use inflation as an excuse in their raising the prices. I was using minimum wage as way of showing the relationship of the ticket price then and now and how fans used to be able to afford a complete season then but now a complete season is not so much the toss around cash as it once was... I also understand that the facility and the overheads today are way different than in 1967 and drives the costs greatly... mere cost of living increases sadly is not in play here. I concede a poor argument.

But again my main argument is that the way they revamped the way the fans must pay on a row basis in the Mezzanine has caused a 23.5% increase or more for some while others have no increase at all... and in some cases such as the Blue Line sections and the upper rows in some sections there may even be a reduction... We have a Robin Hood situation where they are stealing from some to give to others... but I am not the fat cat that needs to make up for others reduced increases.

In our case a fan that has been on board from the late Sixties may be forced out due to a 23.5% increase that he objects to while a new fan sitting in the nosebleed section that may not be around after another season or two gets to feel good.

My partner and I came with our other partners a that time -- now there are just us -- to all 45 home games (including preseason games) when the Flyers couldn't' make he Postseason for five complete seasons... and suffered all those short one one and done PO years... And now we are asked to fork over $23.5% more while all the bandwagon fans are supporting them. I personally have been attending from before the First Cup -- and then, as a young father of two, it was really a luxury for even those cheap tickets I talked about... Can I afford it? Yes I suppose I could... Will I continue? I will but most likely my partner will not... but the most important question is SHOULD I have to? NO I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO... not when others are not asked to do the same.

Again, I apologize to all for all my rants tonight... Not that I'm going to stop them.
The Flyers can certainly use inflation as "an excuse". Have you compared fuel and energy costs over the last three years? I would imagine that all their employees received some salary increases and certainly the ancillary benefits such as health care have gone up precipitously.

I HEAR what you are saying .... I GET where you are coming from however we must all remember this is a BUSINESS FIRST, sports team 2nd. In business you charge what the traffic will bear .... AND you make hay while the sun is shining. It is clear from the matrix that there was (in management's eyes) an imbalance in pricing upstairs. SOMEONE had to get caught up in it ... unfortunately it was you. There is nothing stopping you from moving over, down, whichever, to MAXIMIZE your ST value now that the pricing matrix has changed.

Each and every one of us will someday sit down and open up the ticket invoice for next year and decide that it is time to let them go as the cost will outweigh the value ... no matter what the underlying reasoning may be. It may be financial, it may be burnout, it may be loss of interest in the family and friends in going, it may be the time investment, it may be the P I T A travel to and from, it may be a priority shift but it will be SOMETHING.

It happens to EVERYONE ...... sooner or later. Guaranteed this will be the last straw for some folks ... but every year that happens anyway. The Flyers cannot run their organization based on losing a few people every time prices increase, policies change, etc.

It IS a business ... for better or worse and that will NEVER change.

Old
03-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

As normal, everything is alright if you are not the ones getting screwed... I expected that and understand. When they come for you, things are different.

The Flyers are smart and know that the large imbalance is effecting only some... and everybody stands alone in this. There will be no great uproar for me and those like me.

BTW, when I spoke of bandwagon people I merely meant that there were some STHs who come and go, and some of them reap the upside while it is thw longstanding STHs who may get screwed here... It is a shame that 40+ season fans get the shaft.

Were my seats undervalued in the past? Do rows determine worth? If so... why not grandfather those who have held on to the STs for multiple decades?

In any event... thanks for allowing me to vent. I hope I never have to read about others getting screwed. If I didn't love the Flyers so much, I would be out of there... I assume they are aware of those such as I.

Again, thanks for allowing me to vent here.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 03-27-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old
03-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Oh, BTW, at the Town Hall Meeting last season Luukko was asked about transfering STH ownership and we were told that they require a fee for fairness to those waiting... Family ones were fine but could not be policed, so a fee is assessed.

That is a bad paraphrase... but it boils down to we were told we had to pay a modest amount in order to transfer... and that the policy had changed at some point I the past.

Old
03-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
As normal, everything is alright if you are not the ones getting screwed... I expected that and understand. When they come for you, things are different.

The Flyers are smart and know that the large imbalance is effecting only some... and everybody stands alone in this. There will be no great uproar for me and those like me.

BTW, when I spoke of bandwagon people I merely meant that there were some STHs who come and go, and some of them reap the upside while it is thw longstanding STHs who may get screwed here... It is a shame that 40+ season fans get the shaft.

Were my seats undervalued in the past? Do rows determine worth? If so... why not grandfather those who have held on to the STs for multiple decades?

In any event... thanks for allowing me to vent. I hope I never have to read about others getting screwed. If I didn't love the Flyers so much, I would be out of there... I assume they are aware of those such as I.

Again, thanks for allowing me to vent here.
But you're not getting the shaft. What you're proposing would shaft the 30 y/o guy that is just now making the income to afford season tickets. Essentially, you're *****ing that you're not getting special treatment... for a purely discretionary purchase. Why should you get those tickets for less than someone else is willing to spend for them?

You're the dude in the mansion complaining that his property taxes are higher than the guy living in the small townhouse.

Old
03-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
But you're not getting the shaft. What you're proposing would shaft the 30 y/o guy that is just now making the income to afford season tickets. Essentially, you're *****ing that you're not getting special treatment... for a purely discretionary purchase. Why should you get those tickets for less than someone else is willing to spend for them?

You're the dude in the mansion complaining that his property taxes are higher than the guy living in the small townhouse.
Dude, I followed the team through thick and thin for both me and them... I stuck with them when they were playing sad hockey and going through the motions in the postseason... when they couldn't buy into the POs for five full seasons.

I attended when I had to give up other things to do so... I am not asking for special treatment... I'm asking to NOT get hit with a ****ing 23.5% increase when others are not asked to do the same and in fact many are not getting hit at all... can't you see that?

I am asking for fair treatment and to be either grandfathered or eased in... That is not unusual in business.

How the **** am I the person in the mansion complaining when I own Mezzanine seats and get hit for a 23.5% increase while some people in the lower level are not raised a all?

Yes, I believe loyalty means something... I didn't bail for over forty years and now I am getting screwed? How am I wrong? Should I bend over and get pumped with my mouth closed. Please look at the facts... They are unevenly and unfairly changing the rules of the game AFTER they asked me to blindly commit and pay earlybird deposit, and I TRUSTED them to be fair... I argued with my partner that I expected an increase and would accept it. I looked like a fool as they raised our long standing seats 23.5 ****ing per****ingcent!!!!!!!!!!

How is it correct to raise some people so much, and more, while not doing so for others... and not care about those who have been loyal?

And to top it off I am accused of being a fat cat looking to take advantage of the young and poor people coming up in he World. Trust me there will be many who buy season tickets and then after a while give them up... I've seen it happen time and time again over the decades... and I'm okay with that because it is their right and no problem. But some of us have stayed with the team since their early years... I'm no asking for lower costs, I am asking to NOT have to pay MORE.

In fact I would say that all the new fans owe it to ALL the ones who stuck with the team in the Sixties... There is a team here now because of them... The Flyers didn't need the Government to save them as Pittsburgh did, nor be saved for the fewer true fans like Buffalo did. Ask the fans of the old teams that were taken from them what it feels like to support a team only to have it moved... We supported the Flyers and they stayed -- win/win -- the new fans have a team and so do I... So to turn one's eyes from old loyal fans getting the shaft is unfair IMO.

Quote:

The Mezzanine is no mansion and property taxes are based on municipality and property worth and should be on a set percentage... I am the opposite of what you accuse me of; I'm complaining that I am being taxed a higher rate than others in the same building... and the Mezzanine seats are the small townhouses in the Arena, not the mansions.

A fair increase is fine with me... an equal increase is fine with me... But a hair under a quarter of my bill jack up on a selective basis is NOT fine... Honestly, can't you see that?

Again, it is me that is being screwed... so no big deal for others.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 03-27-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old
03-27-2011, 03:04 PM
agentj*

Quote:

He has a point. I simply don't know why they didn't go to row by row pricing upstairs from the get-go IF they were going to have a different pricing structure for ANY rows.

Trouble is there is NO WAY to put it in place now without upsetting someone. EVERY TIME there is change, SOME ONE is upset. Nature of the beast.

When we moved over from the Spectrum my Row 16 seats turned into Row 21 seats. That could have been construed by me as "getting the shaft". When the strike season happened we had already prepaid the premium membership for the season and were told "well, MOST of your benefits in the membership aren't on strke just the Flyers so we are not refunding your membership, we will "credit" you the Flyer's portion next season (or when they play again)" That could have been construed by me as "getting the shaft". IF I had seats NOW in 118 119 120 dead behind the goal and see that 117 and 121 are $6 cheaper per ticket that CERTAINLY could be construed as "getting the shaft". I'd be on the phone tomorrow am trying to move my seats into those two sections. Next season the VIP Club membership will be going to $800 for the season up from $650. Also they deleted a couple of the perks inside such as a free pair of club box tickets for a Flyers game ... replaced with a pair of club box tickets for a Wings game. THAT could be construed as "getting the shaft".

In reality it is "what the market will bear". None of us HAS to buy these products. Everyone knew damn well prices were going up this year REGARDLESS of what happened last spring.

Wait and see IF there are ANY playoff strips available to the general public at all this year ... I know I was limited to ONE PAIR extra IF I paid for the first round in entirety that day ... and the price was 22% higher than my own seats one row away. Last season they would have sold me ten pairs anywhere in the building at the same ST discount and kissed me on my hiney.

Last season I was offered a three year contract on seats in Club Box 16 (locked in pricing for three years) at $130 per ticket BUT each ticket would have been preloaded at Flyer's cost with $40 for each game. So net cost of $90 per ticket because who wouldn't spend the $40 down there? Here's the kicker ... FREE playoff games for the length of the contract IF you signed then, paid the first year in total and placed a $1000 non refundable deposit on the second and third year.

Try to get anything even CLOSE to that deal right now ... it doesn't exist. But there were folks that took them up on it ... and LOOK what they got for the playoff tickets if they were selling ... that cost them NOTHING. I know what I turned DOWN for mine in the finals.

Supply and demand ... making hay while the sun shines. That's the American way.

Old
03-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
He has a point. I simply don't know why they didn't go to row by row pricing upstairs from the get-go IF they were going to have a different pricing structure for ANY rows.

Trouble is there is NO WAY to put it in place now without upsetting someone. EVERY TIME there is change, SOME ONE is upset. Nature of the beast.

When we moved over from the Spectrum my Row 16 seats turned into Row 21 seats. That could have been construed by me as "getting the shaft". When the strike season happened we had already prepaid the premium membership for the season and were told "well, MOST of your benefits in the membership aren't on strke just the Flyers so we are not refunding your membership, we will "credit" you the Flyer's portion next season (or when they play again)" That could have been construed by me as "getting the shaft". IF I had seats NOW in 118 119 120 dead behind the goal and see that 117 and 121 are $6 cheaper per ticket that CERTAINLY could be construed as "getting the shaft". I'd be on the phone tomorrow am trying to move my seats into those two sections. Next season the VIP Club membership will be going to $800 for the season up from $650. Also they deleted a couple of the perks inside such as a free pair of club box tickets for a Flyers game ... replaced with a pair of club box tickets for a Wings game. THAT could be construed as "getting the shaft".

In reality it is "what the market will bear". None of us HAS to buy these products. Everyone knew damn well prices were going up this year REGARDLESS of what happened last spring.

Wait and see IF there are ANY playoff strips available to the general public at all this year ... I know I was limited to ONE PAIR extra IF I paid for the first round in entirety that day ... and the price was 22% higher than my own seats one row away. Last season they would have sold me ten pairs anywhere in the building at the same ST discount and kissed me on my hiney.

Last season I was offered a three year contract on seats in Club Box 16 (locked in pricing for three years) at $130 per ticket BUT each ticket would have been preloaded at Flyer's cost with $40 for each game. So net cost of $90 per ticket because who wouldn't spend the $40 down there? Here's the kicker ... FREE playoff games for the length of the contract IF you signed then, paid the first year in total and placed a $1000 non refundable deposit on the second and third year.

Try to get anything even CLOSE to that deal right now ... it doesn't exist. But there were folks that took them up on it ... and LOOK what they got for the playoff tickets if they were selling ... that cost them NOTHING. I know what I turned DOWN for mine in the finals.

Supply and demand ... making hay while the sun shines. That's the American way.
Again, I am not complaining about changes or supply and demand... what I am complaining about is that the increases were no applied fairly. They were made with a we don't give a damn/screw you manner. The point about being a longstanding STH is just showing how faith and loyalty now means nothing... that was not the case with the Flyers in the past; they once cared and knew what got them where they are.

Policy changes across the board are the nature of the game... This was NOT the case here. Grandfathering or easing into the increase is not too much to ask when you are talking about such a large jump for some people, and more than likely the ones who have been there for a long period of time... Make it in steps that will over time get them up to the same level... It is done all the time, in many such situations... Special treatment and fair treatment are not the same. I'm not asking for courtesy reductions... I'm asking to be treated with the same rules as everyone else, or if not, then to be eased into the large jump.

Imagine going to the Corporate suite owners and telling some that they will be bumped up 25% but others will not... See what that would get them. They would never dream of doing that. But our clout is nothing and they can do it.

Please understand the shaft I'm complaining about.

Old
03-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Dude, I followed the team through thick and thin for both me and them... I stuck with them when they were playing sad hockey and going through the motions in the postseason... when they couldn't buy into the POs for five full seasons.

I attended when I had to give up other things to do so... I am not asking for special treatment... I'm asking to NOT get hit with a ****ing 23.5% increase when others are not asked to do the same and in fact many are not getting hit at all... can't you see that?

I am asking for fair treatment and to be either grandfathered or eased in... That is not unusual in business.

How the **** am I the person in the mansion complaining when I own Mezzanine seats and get hit for a 23.5% increase while some people in the lower level are not raised a all?

Yes, I believe loyalty means something... I didn't bail for over forty years and now I am getting screwed? How am I wrong? Should I bend over and get pumped with my mouth closed. Please look at the facts... They are unevenly and unfairly changing the rules of the game AFTER they asked me to blindly commit and pay earlybird deposit, and I TRUSTED them to be fair... I argued with my partner that I expected an increase and would accept it. I looked like a fool as they raised our long standing seats 23.5 ****ing per****ingcent!!!!!!!!!!

How is it correct to raise some people so much, and more, while not doing so for others... and not care about those who have been loyal?

And to top it off I am accused of being a fat cat looking to take advantage of the young and poor people coming up in he World. Trust me there will be many who buy season tickets and then after a while give them up... I've seen it happen time and time again over the decades... and I'm okay with that because it is their right and no problem. But some of us have stayed with the team since their early years... I'm no asking for lower costs, I am asking to NOT have to pay MORE.

In fact I would say that all the new fans owe it to ALL the ones who stuck with the team in the Sixties... There is a team here now because of them... The Flyers didn't need the Government to save them as Pittsburgh did, nor be saved for the fewer true fans like Buffalo did. Ask the fans of the old teams that were taken from them what it feels like to support a team only to have it moved... We supported the Flyers and they stayed -- win/win -- the new fans have a team and so do I... So to turn one's eyes from old loyal fans getting the shaft is unfair IMO.
Why are "old" loyal fans more important than new loyal fans? Who cares that you supported the team through those moments, you're asking that YOU be treated differently from other people purely because you happened to have tickets a decade ago.

That ain't fair.

Quote:
The Mezzanine is no mansion and property taxes are based on municipality and property worth and should be on a set percentage... I am the opposite of what you accuse me of; I'm complaining that I am being taxed a higher rate than others in the same building... and the Mezzanine seats are the small townhouses in the Arena, not the mansions.

A fair increase is fine with me... an equal increase is fine with me... But a hair under a quarter of my bill jack up on a selective basis is NOT fine... Honestly, can't you see that?

Again, it is me that is being screwed... so no big deal for others.
No, you're complaining about a business restructuring it's pricing in an abstract manner based on market analysis of their product. Moreover, that's a product that is purely discretionary spending.

What you're missing out in the analogy is that a lot of people don't even have the option to get season ticket plans. If it's too much of a burden give up your season tickets... someone else will come in and take the spot.

Whining that you're getting the shaft for season tickets to an entertainment option... gimme a break.

Old
03-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
His point is largely based in anger due to tenure... and part of his solution was basically to **** over everyone that didn't have tickets previously so he could keep his lower priced plan. Great for him, but that's absolutely a selfish desire (also the American way). Essentially, he suggested that new fans subsidize his tickets...

I understand being irritated that the cost went up, but acting as if it's a personal affront to him by the Flyers is ridiculous. They're pricing their product according to what the market will bear... which is what they've always done. Essentially what the Flyers are saying is that he's been paying below market for his tickets in recent memory... and others have not as much. Flyers may be right about that, they may be wrong about that... but HE isn't getting the shaft, the price for those seats has merely gone up.

Old
03-27-2011, 03:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
The team could give a damn about old loyal fans. Are you going to put more money in their pocket than newer fans, or not? When the Flyers are counting their money at the end of day, there's nothing on the dollar bill that says whose pocket it's coming from.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:18 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
With the teams having more data on resale prices with them doing their own ticket exchanges and stuff, I expect to see more of this type of segmented pricing in the future. The more market data they get, the more they can make sure they get a larger share of the value of tickets, rather than reseller.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
With the teams having more data on resale prices with them doing their own ticket exchanges and stuff, I expect to see more of this type of segmented pricing in the future. The more market data they get, the more they can make sure they get a larger share of the value of tickets, rather than reseller.
Yeah, absolutely... which is a bad sign for playoff tickets given how insanely expensive they get on the resale market.

Essentially the same thing colleges figured out... our product is worth X to people, we want to get as much of that as we can.

Old
03-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Why are "old" loyal fans more important than new loyal fans? Who cares that you supported the team through those moments, you're asking that YOU be treated differently from other people purely because you happened to have tickets a decade ago.

That ain't fair.

No, you're complaining about a business restructuring it's pricing in an abstract manner based on market analysis of their product. Moreover, that's a product that is purely discretionary spending.

What you're missing out in the analogy is that a lot of people don't even have the option to get season ticket plans. If it's too much of a burden give up your season tickets... someone else will come in and take the spot.

Whining that you're getting the shaft for season tickets to an entertainment option... gimme a break.
You tell me what I am saying... you know better than I do what's in my mind.

I keep saying that my complaint is not with anything but the fairness of how they reallocated the pricing... I mentioned my long time status to point out how this side of the two way street was loyal and faithful. Please understand my complaints before debating them.

And I am not whining... I have a valid complaint and it is real money. I have a right to vent here. If i were you, you would have every right to be upset also.

I want to say thanks for all the compassion I'm getting.

Old
03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
You tell me what I am saying... you know better than I do what's in my mind.

I keep saying that my complaint is not with anything but the fairness of how they reallocated the pricing... I mentioned my long time status to point out how this side of the two way street was loyal and faithful. Please understand my complaints before debating them.

And I am not whining... I have a valid complaint and it is real money. I have a right to vent here. If i were you, you would have every right to be upset also.

I want to say thanks for all the compassion I'm getting.
There's nothing unfair about it. It would be unfair if it was arbitrary... it's not. There's a clear system based on the evaluation of the tickets. Each row is worth $2 less than the row in front of it.

And loyal and faithful... so what? Lots of people are that don't have season tickets.

If the price is too much, give up your tickets... swap out for different tickets... or drop down to a partial season ticket plan. It's discretionary spending.

And what you are doing is the definition of whining: your seats went up more than others, and you're whining about it.

Old
03-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The team could give a damn about old loyal fans. Are you going to put more money in their pocket than newer fans, or not? When the Flyers are counting their money at the end of day, there's nothing on the dollar bill that says whose pocket it's coming from.
This argument has been twisted away from the main point... The side point about many fans being loyal for decades is merely *****ing about what good does loyalty get you... The main point is hat they raised some STH bills 125% while others get no increase, and this is all done on a cold turkey shot. I'd love to see the township restructure people's tax to reflect the distance from the fireplug with people at the plug getting no increase with the people down the street getting jacked up 125%... and this being done on public record... I know it is not the same thing but i is an example that illustrates the unfairness.

Look, raise the tickets as they go back on he market when people give them up... or up the prices in increments until they are where you want them... but this is just wrong.

But again... it is wrong only for those to whom they are effecting... to everyone else it is okay, and I am a whiner... I get it.

Old
03-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
There's nothing unfair about it. It would be unfair if it was arbitrary... it's not. There's a clear system based on the evaluation of the tickets. Each row is worth $2 less than the row in front of it.

And loyal and faithful... so what? Lots of people are that don't have season tickets.

If the price is too much, give up your tickets... swap out for different tickets... or drop down to a partial season ticket plan. It's discretionary spending.

And what you are doing is the definition of whining: your seats went up more than others, and you're whining about it.
Just go ahead and say, "let them eat cake".