HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Anyone else hoping the Isles will win the lottery?

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Chalfdiggity3

vCash: 500
Hell ****ing no! i dont wish the islanders anything. They are on the upswing and i dont want ANY of our rivals to win the lottery. **** them all!

Our biggest rivals are, devils, Isles, Pens, Flyers

The islanders are on the upswing and dont need the 1st pick in the draft. **** them we dont need another penguins on our hands where they get 5yrs straight of the 1st pick in the draft.

The team that wont be the same for years after this season is the devils. Yea they have parise, zajac, and kovy but after that they have no1 else. No defenseman with alot of potential and after broduer they have no goalie.

Old
03-27-2011, 03:26 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Who are the 4 rivals? Isles, Debs, Philly, who else?

In any event, I don't think that the rivalry with others got as bad as with the Isles.

But right now, it's not fun anymore. Isles suck. Ok. They suck. They've sucked so long that anyone under 30 has no memory of them not sucking. Now what?

I'd like to see a Ranger-Islander playoff series. One where every game results in at least 5 players getting ejected for game misconduct.
When the Rangers sucked and went year after year of not making the playoffs the Devils started Fatso every game we played them...even this season when the Devils sucked Fatso made a statement about the Rangers missing the playoffs 7 years in a row...that's why you never show any mercy to a rival.

Old
03-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
The Pens are not a rival, they are just a team in our division. They wish to be rivals with the #1 market in the NHL, but there just isn't the intensity with them, at least not from our side.

They may feel very animated about it, but the #1 market will always draw that kind of intensity. Boston, Washington, etc also think they have a rivalry with us.

Ranger-Islander games drew fights even when they did not matter. Pitt is only interesting because of playoffs competition.

If Pitt were replaced by Tampa or Phienix in our division, they would become just as much of a rival.
Are you watching the games??? Pens/Rangers has been as nasty as any rivalry in hockey for the past two decades. They absolutely hate each other. How is there no intensity from our side? You can see how much games against the Pens mean to our guys. The Pens are right up there with the other three and always have been. I don't know where this perception of the Pens being a 2nd tier rival came from, because it certainly doesn't come from the ice. These two teams clearly despise one another. We've been brawling with the Pens dating back to when we cheap-shotted Mario back in '92.

Old
03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
This question is posed only to people who are in their 30s or older. You must remember the Ranger-Islander rivalry, at least in the early 90s. If you remember it going back to the early 80s and late 70s, that much better.

In 1994, the team I wanted to face least were the Isles. They were unbeaten against us in the Mausoleum for 15 games straight, and they broke our unbeaten streak at 14 when we were about to tie our team record.

We beat them easily in the first round, but that sure was not expected.

Playing the Islanders used to be exciting. Every regular season game against them was like Game 7 of the playoffs, but with more fighting.

No current rivalry compares. Debbies? Philthy? Please.

The Rangers are on an up swing now. With the influx of youth, what already happened and what's coming in the near-future, the Rangers will be a very good team.

I want the Ranger-Islander rivalry back. I was really hoping the Isles would finish last overall, but they will likely finish at #5.

Am I the only one hoping they will beat the odds and get a good player at #1, so they will get back to respectability, and fight against us in the playoffs like they used to in previous generations?
I think the Debbies rivalry is very similar to the original fishsticks rivalry: intense games, close location, playoff meetings, meaningful games, fanbases that hate each other, etc.

And if you consider yourself a Ranger fan, how can you root for them to get 1st overall? I understand the rivalry isn't as intense b/c they are garbage now, but rooting for them to achieve any success in anything they do is not anything any Ranger fan should be doing. Missing the rivalry does not justify rooting for them to get #1 overall. What's next? Giving high fives when Tavares or maybe Nugent-Hopkins rips one past Hank and saying "hey at least the rivalries back"? The absurdity of that statement is equal to the absurdity in rooting for them to get a high pick.

Old
03-27-2011, 06:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think Rangers Devils is such a great rivalry because it's not just the teams, it's the fanbases who despise each other. I don't think it's to that extent with Pittsburgh yet, but the teams sure as hell are not fans of each other.

I think that if a team in your division ISN'T a rival, you're doing it wrong.

Old
03-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

i want them to win the lottery, draft a stud with the first pick...and then trade him to Florida for two mediocre players...

Old
03-27-2011, 07:00 PM
varanger94

From the Icelandia Fishsticks to the Kansas City Ribs. That's all I want. Can't wait for who ever calls the game to announce Friday night is Barbecue Rib night get here early. Kristy Alley was born their. Maybe she can compete in the all you can eat contest after the first period.

Old
03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
dynamoovechkin

Bite your tongue! Do I want them to win the lottery and get a #1 overall pick?.....um....no.

In any event, they would probably screw it up, but that said, Grabner is looking like a stud, Tavares quietly had another good year, they have a serious upgrade in coaching and seem to be piecing it all together. Why they let go of Wisniewski still puzzles me, but hey, this is the Islanders we're talking about- i.e.- I have an idea, our backup goaltender is getting a bit long in the tooth- let's hire him as GM!

This freakshow sadsack of a franchise can move to Kansas City, Winnipeg or Quebec City for all I care. Let's their fans suffer with a team that abandoned them, and a #1 goaler with a lifetime contract who can't seem to get healthy...good riddance.

Old
03-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Provolone*

No! They have enough. Their top 6 is shaping up to be pretty sick for the foreseeable future. We haven't even seen them with Niederrater yet. Now they're probably gonna add Strome (if they stay at 5). We're gonna have our hands full if
they actually surround this young core with solid vets.

I don't get why people are rooting for them to move. I wanna watch Sauer, McD & Co. knocking their d***s into the dirt (ice) for the next decade.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:03 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

I'm not gonna tell you who the 4th team is, but they're laughing at you...

in MY OPINION, rivalry, no. i dont even think its that close. do i hate them? abso-fikkin-lutely! i live very close to pittsburgh, and you never hear any pens fan say the rangers are a rival. division rival, but not "rival" as in DET-COL or NYR-NYI. the pens big rivalry is WSH.

a rivalry has to be felt going both ways. if the pens fans dont see us as a big rival, all they are is a team to hate.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
in MY OPINION, rivalry, no. i dont even think its that close. do i hate them? abso-fikkin-lutely! i live very close to pittsburgh, and you never hear any pens fan say the rangers are a rival. division rival, but not "rival" as in DET-COL or NYR-NYI. the pens big rivalry is WSH.

a rivalry has to be felt going both ways. if the pens fans dont see us as a big rival, all they are is a team to hate.
To be fair, you can't really find a pens fan who knows hockey in the first place.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post

It doesn't matter what the fans think when it comes to rivalries, especially a fanbase as dumb as Pittsburgh's. Rivalries are on the ice, and on the ice, there's an undeniable intensity between the two teams.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Hockify

Quote:
This question is posed only to people who are in their 30s or older. You must remember the Ranger-Islander rivalry, at least in the early 90s. If you remember it going back to the early 80s and late 70s, that much better.

In 1994, the team I wanted to face least were the Isles. They were unbeaten against us in the Mausoleum for 15 games straight, and they broke our unbeaten streak at 14 when we were about to tie our team record.

We beat them easily in the first round, but that sure was not expected.

Playing the Islanders used to be exciting. Every regular season game against them was like Game 7 of the playoffs, but with more fighting.

No current rivalry compares. Debbies? Philthy? Please.

The Rangers are on an up swing now. With the influx of youth, what already happened and what's coming in the near-future, the Rangers will be a very good team.

I want the Ranger-Islander rivalry back. I was really hoping the Isles would finish last overall, but they will likely finish at #5.

Am I the only one hoping they will beat the odds and get a good player at #1, so they will get back to respectability, and fight against us in the playoffs like they used to in previous generations?

There's nothing I want more then for the Islanders and Rangers to both be top teams. They are both going in the right direction I think.

Old
03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I hope Wang will sell his team and it will move to Quebec or Winnipeg. If the team is out of the rangers division than I wish them only the best... until then they can get bent

I lived on the iceland during one of their cup runs and the rampant bandwagoning was ubiquitous. Perhaps much like los diablos fans were after the NHL awarded them Scott Stevens as the critical piece of their cup runs.

I think the best thing about the icelanders is how that whole situation has exposed Bettman's style as marginal at best.

Old
03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Bite your tongue! Do I want them to win the lottery and get a #1 overall pick?.....um....no.

In any event, they would probably screw it up, but that said, Grabner is looking like a stud, Tavares quietly had another good year, they have a serious upgrade in coaching and seem to be piecing it all together. Why they let go of Wisniewski still puzzles me, but hey, this is the Islanders we're talking about- i.e.- I have an idea, our backup goaltender is getting a bit long in the tooth- let's hire him as GM!

This freakshow sadsack of a franchise can move to Kansas City, Winnipeg or Quebec City for all I care. Let's their fans suffer with a team that abandoned them, and a #1 goaler with a lifetime contract who can't seem to get healthy...good riddance.
Wiz is an UFA so Garth Snow got something tangible back

I think he did a fine job with the cards he was dealt

Old
03-27-2011, 10:38 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

It really doesn't matter. Unless Mr. Wang decides to start signing players to bigger contracts, the exodus of young players will be on again soon.

Old
03-27-2011, 11:20 PM
TheHotRock

once i felt bad for the isles. then they made the playoffs while we sucked.

...i will never feel bad for them again.

i hope they trade the pick for a 33 year old with 2 good years left

Old
03-28-2011, 02:58 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

They have enough guys who will make them a decent team as soon as next year. Last thing we need is for them to get another HUGE piece to the puzzle. Regardless of who they get in this draft they will be competing with us very soon.

Old
03-28-2011, 05:14 AM
chosen

It doesn't matter what we wish for because whether we like it or not, the rivalry is already back. By next season the Islanders will be a formidable opponent, and because of the way they are constructed, games will be nasty for quite some time to come. I miss the days where I hated the Islanders and am looking forward to hating them again.

Old
03-28-2011, 10:26 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen North View Post
i want them to win the lottery, draft a stud with the first pick...and then trade him to Florida for two mediocre players...

Or sign their pick to a 15 year contract and spends most of his time in a suit or warming pine.

So do I want the isles to win the lottery?

Sure...right after they sign a lease in KC....otherwise I hope they spend a long time in the cellar, right next to the Debbies.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Jersey Girl

If the Islanders were playing a team from Mars, and the fate of our entire human race depended on the outcome, I say...Let's Go Mars.

All I need is to hear all four of their stupid front-running fans...'ha ha we saved the planet'.

**** that. I'd rather be dead.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:38 PM
HockeyBurd*

Personally I feel that any Rangers fan that wants the Islanders to win the lottery is the worst human that ever lived. Much much much worse than Stalin.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:41 PM
The Mouth

They are a sworn enemy of the Blue. any positive talk or well wishing for their team is considered traitorous !

Old
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
It doesn't matter what we wish for because whether we like it or not, the rivalry is already back. By next season the Islanders will be a formidable opponent, and because of the way they are constructed, games will be nasty for quite some time to come. I miss the days where I hated the Islanders and am looking forward to hating them again.
I agree, they could make some moves and be a playoff team from the get go, definitely being underrated right now.

Gotta like the rivalry. Personally I can't compare it to the old days, different time, different meaning.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:38 PM
VJ Rangerfan

Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
question wasnt posed to me but ill answer with some young naive knowledge... i understand wanting the rivalry back, it pisses me off that there is no real rivalry anymore like it used to be BUT with how tight the east has been in the past years, especially how tight the atlantic; the last thing we need is to face a team with 3 top five picks 6 times a year.

i also dont think it will take another lottery pick for them to be competitive, with streit coming back next year, hamonic and macdonald have been solid and tavares and okposo are only getting better. throw in some solid goaltending and their a tough team to face.
you must mean "another" team ...

To the OP, I don't think they need the top pick to get back to respectablility. They are having an upward swing themselves, although the wins aren't there. I watch quite a bit of their games and living/playing on long island I have quite a few "friends" that are isles fans and they have a pretty exciting team already.

Let them get a half decent goaltender and they'll be up there again fighting us for the 6-8 spot in the EC. I sure hope that we can continue to build OUR team and move up and fight for the 4-6 spot and then soon afterwards compete for the division.

Edit: Just as an FYI, I hate the Isles even more then the Devils which is saying a lot. But do I want them to move? Maybe just to piss off the Isles fans I know but other then that, I think having them here makes it a much more fun and exciting rivalry and wouldn't really want it any other way.

Closed Thread