HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Theoretically speaking: NFL lockout + NYR Stanley Cup = Hockey Renissance?

Old
03-27-2011, 07:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
People would rather hear more about the Met's blowing than the Rangers doing good, it seems.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Provolone*

The NHL outdraws the NBA by % of capacity. So in order to get the level of popularity that the other 3 get there would need to be an increase of TV ratings. Which isn't gonna happen if the NFL locksout or not. Lets face it, for the casual sports fan hockey is the worst "TV" sport out of the 4, whereas NFL is the best. Though IMO, hockey is the best live sport and the NFL is the worst.

I don't see what the popularity of hockey with black people has to do with anything. So i'm not sure why it's even being brought up. I know the tv makes you
think otherwise, but they're only 11 or 12% of the population.

If it was brought up as a way to get untapped viewers, then maybe the NHL would have better luck going after latin viewership. I've had hockey haters tell me it's like watching a boring soccer match and they do love their soccer.

Whatever the case, i like that it's a niche sport. Like some posts have said, when i meet someone new and they're a hockey fan, i feel an instant connection. Like we belong to some underground cult or something...

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1254
There will not be a football lock out. I work with a guy whos a former Atlanta Falcon and apart of the current NFLPA and he swears they won't let it get that far. So coming from a source as reliable as that, I think we will have foot ball next year. I was told to wait for about end of may before any real progress was made at the absolute earliest, most likely mid june.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
People would rather hear more about the Met's blowing than the Rangers doing good, it seems.
Yeah either that, or complain about the Yankees doing good

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:25 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Sorry...not to throw cold water on you..but if the Rangers were to win the Stanley Cup, the NFL Lockout would have no bearing on their popularity, and in all honesty, probably wouldn't even be as big as 1994. Back then everyone jumped on the "break the curse" bandwagon. It would be big, no doubt, and would probably get the NHL more exposure, and hopefully get a lot of coverage in NY. And I say "hopefully" cause they can't even get a full back page for playoff games anymore. 2009 against the Capitals was an absolute joke. They got "expanded" sky box headlines, while the Yankees and Mets got the full back page. How ridiculous is that?

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 03-27-2011 at 10:32 PM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:49 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Sorry...not to throw cold water on you..but if the Rangers were to win the Stanley Cup, the NFL Lockout would have no bearing on their popularity, and in all honesty, probably wouldn't even be as big as 1994. Back then everyone jumped on the "break the curse" bandwagon. It would be big, no doubt, and would probably get the NHL more exposure, and hopefully get a lot of coverage in NY. And I say "hopefully" cause they can't even get a full back page for playoff games anymore. 2009 against the Capitals was an absolute joke. They got "expanded" sky box headlines, while the Yankees and Mets got the full back page. How ridiculous is that?
Not sure why it wouldn't be as big as 1994. That's a premature comment. In 1994 we were the favorites. Sure there was a curse but we were the favorites going in. This time around if we were to win the cup (God willing) we more than likely wouldn't be the favorites so it would be that much more sweet. The city and the league would be buzzing for sure- like never before.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:20 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Switch NFL lockout with NBA lockout, and your "Hockey Renaissance" will be more than likely.

03-28-2011, 01:32 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
There will not be a football lock out. I work with a guy whos a former Atlanta Falcon and apart of the current NFLPA and he swears they won't let it get that far. So coming from a source as reliable as that, I think we will have foot ball next year. I was told to wait for about end of may before any real progress was made at the absolute earliest, most likely mid june.
personally, ill be virtually unaffected. maybe im selfish but i could care less if the nfl played a game or not. same with the nba. honestly, espn is getting annoying with their reports i gave up on them as it is. nhl network > everything else

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Not sure why it wouldn't be as big as 1994. That's a premature comment. In 1994 we were the favorites. Sure there was a curse but we were the favorites going in. This time around if we were to win the cup (God willing) we more than likely wouldn't be the favorites so it would be that much more sweet. The city and the league would be buzzing for sure- like never before.
Not saying it wouldn't be big, cause it would. Just saying it probably wouldn't be AS big. The curse factor was a huge thing back then, cause it was a "new" thing. so to speak. Plus people were getting tired of all the crap going on with baseball, and the strike wasn't far off. But now , baseball is fine, a lot of teams have broken curses, and it's just not as big anymore (unless of course, the Cubs were to ever do it). But when the Wings and the Hawks broke theirs, I don't think it was as huge as when we did.

If we were to do it as an underdog, that would be special, but you wouldn't hear "Sam proclaiming that this one will last time!".

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 03-28-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old
03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
If the NFL goes into a lockout i think it would be a major help especially in the months of December and January when the season is in full swing. Yes the season is short but given the choice in America to go to a NFL or NHL game, most people are going to pick the NFL because of the price of the game and the minimal number of games in a season. If the NBA goes that might help somewhat but I dont think it would help as much as football.

The biggest thing that the NHL would gain (hopefully) is exposure. With these two sports out of commission, ESPN and other big sports networks would have nothing really to show outside of college sports and the end of baseball. It would be a huge chance for the NHL to market itself to new fans and hopefully gain some revenue out of it but who knows.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Not saying it wouldn't be big, cause it would. Just saying it probably wouldn't be AS big. The curse factor was a huge thing back then, cause it was a "new" thing. so to speak. Plus people were getting tired of all the crap going on with baseball, and the strike wasn't far off. But now , baseball is fine, a lot of teams have broken curses, and it's just not as big anymore (unless of course, the Cubs were to ever do it). But when the Wings and the Hawks broke theirs, I don't think it was as huge as when we did.

If we were to do it as an underdog, that would be special, but you wouldn't hear "Sam proclaiming that this one will last time!".
I hope not, that would just be lazy commentating stealing an already famous quote!

I agree though, but I think it'd be huge in New York. As much as we like to say that the Rangers take a back seat to the other sports, there's still a huge Rangers fan base and we're all incredibly passionate. I don't see it boosting hockey in the entire US, but I could see it doing it in NY.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I hope not, that would just be lazy commentating stealing an already famous quote!

I agree though, but I think it'd be huge in New York. As much as we like to say that the Rangers take a back seat to the other sports, there's still a huge Rangers fan base and we're all incredibly passionate. I don't see it boosting hockey in the entire US, but I could see it doing it in NY.
Hahaha..yeah really, Sam would be screaming at the TV: "Yo..what the ****, Emrick??"

Oh, there totally is! Only the newspapers and the media thinks the Rangers aren't newsworthy anymore. Trust me though..you get them in the ECF's, and it will be huge here. And if they have a Cinderella run to the SCF's, then everyone from Al Sharpton to freaking Max Kellerman (that ******!) will all the sudden be die hard Ranger fans!

Don't think it's gonna happen though, unfortunately..they definitely have the potential to upset 1 round..maybe 2. It'll all depend on who we draw in the 1st, and if Henke is playing as well as he is now.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

NFL aside, I think the NHL gets a boost overall with a Ranger Cup run/win. It's an international stage and there are New Yawkers all over the country. Celebrities will be sporting their Rangers Jerseys in Hollywood.

I doubt it would change the overall rankings of the sport in relation to NFL, MLB. NBA? maybe

03-28-2011, 11:55 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Switch NFL lockout with NBA lockout, and your "Hockey Renaissance" will be more than likely.
Now that, I agree with you on. Although, knowing the crappy new york media, they'd blow a Rangers cup run off for overblown coverage of the NBA lockout!

Sorry..I hate the NY media, and the NBA for that matter!

Old
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
ogie

with a possible NFL and NBA stoppage it will be good for the nhl. I saw an article the other day that there are along with Vesus three other major cable networks are interested in adding the NHL. ESPN, FX, and Turner Networks. Either one of those will put hockey in an addition 20 million households, but ESPN seems to be the brass ring for the nhl because not only will it add immediate viewers but an increase in coverage of the NHL on other espn programs will lead to expanded viewership.

Last edited by ogie: 03-28-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: i cant spell.
ogie is offline   Reply With Quote