HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden renovations

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2011, 09:52 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Definitely only planning only going to a handful of games next year instead of my regular 8-10... Rangers are still crappy at home and I've been in attendance at more disappointing games this season than enjoyable ones...
Yeah, nothing worse than paying top dollar to go home disappointed after a loss.

Old
03-02-2011, 09:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, nothing worse than paying top dollar to go home disappointed after a loss.
My hour long commute home on the trains makes it worse.

Old
03-02-2011, 10:17 PM
PawelW007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
My hour long commute home on the trains makes it worse.

try a train ride into jersey then driving to the poconos

Old
03-03-2011, 07:07 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
its weird that there are still going to be very small sections between the goal lines in the 200's if you look at that map they are the blue above the 100's. the numbers for the sections will still be going clockwise. i wonder why that is
What exactly are you guys looking at? If it is a photo posted from photobucket or one of those sites, well those I can't see at work.

Old
03-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Anyone know if the shop that sells the garden tours are open or closed?

You know, the little shop that also sells merchandise besides the main ticket stands..

We were there in august last year and it was closed...

Old
03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
patnyrnyg

Do you mean that little room to the right of the main ticket windows as you enter through the main entrance? I'm 99% sure that is still closed. I am going tonight, can check and post tomorrow if you want.

Old
03-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Yeah, the little cozy shop...that's the one..

Why is it closed?

Old
03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Is that bridge idea real? Is it going to be enclosed or will anyone be able to drop something over the glass onto the ice?
The bridge will be over the stands, not over the ice.

Old
03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
nyahay bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbresistor View Post
new msg seating chart for next year:

http://media.ticketmaster.com/tm/en-...5/37634s_a.gif
wow. looks like the seats in the 300's behind the nets will be extensively reduced.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
patnyrnyg

even better so some idiot will see an opposing fan below him and feel the need to throw a drink at that fan and give the whole section a shower.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:31 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I have a gut feeling (no facts or sources, just a hunch) that the bridges may be scrapped by the end of the renovation. Figure that it's one of the last things to be done in the renovation and that they will have spent so much money by that point that they may just say **** it, it's not worth the issues we'll have to deal with after it's built.

Old
03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
skroob**

Quote:
even better so some idiot will see an opposing fan below him and feel the need to throw a drink at that fan and give the whole section a shower.

They can do that now, as the 400s overhang the 300s for a significant length, and it just about never happens.

Also, think of just about every baseball stadium.

Its going to be the same condition.

Old
03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
nyrmetros

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...04-709178.html

Previously, MSG had projected the total cost of the renovation between $775 million and $850 million. On Friday, Ratner said the company had moved up some construction plans, making them a bit more costly, but he added the overall project is proceeding as expected.

Old
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
They can do that now, as the 400s overhang the 300s for a significant length, and it just about never happens.

Also, think of just about every baseball stadium.

Its going to be the same condition.
True, where I sit in the 400's it doesn't overhang the 300's, forgot that it does in the endzones.

Old
03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I was looking around Sunday at the game trying to figure how this whole reconfig is going to work.

You can 'draw a line' from ice level to the 400s between the blue lines and have a gradual incline that would keep the same amount of seats. However, try that in the ends...you can't. The 400s hang over the 300s. I wonder if the 300s in the ends will stay one more year, then be totally removed the next year?

The other thing I started to wonder was we were told that the seats would be closer to the ice (and higher). I hope that doesn't go for the lower bowl. Because if it does, us folks in the 300s will have partially obstructed views for one season.

Old
03-07-2011, 06:46 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I was looking around Sunday at the game trying to figure how this whole reconfig is going to work.

You can 'draw a line' from ice level to the 400s between the blue lines and have a gradual incline that would keep the same amount of seats. However, try that in the ends...you can't. The 400s hang over the 300s. I wonder if the 300s in the ends will stay one more year, then be totally removed the next year?

The other thing I started to wonder was we were told that the seats would be closer to the ice (and higher). I hope that doesn't go for the lower bowl. Because if it does, us folks in the 300s will have partially obstructed views for one season.
I believe the lower bowl will have nearly the same number of rows as it does now, but the first row of the 300s will move forward 6 feet or so but 10 feet higher up as they will start above the mid level suites. At least that's what I remember from an old video.

Old
03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
skroob**

Quote:
True, where I sit in the 400's it doesn't overhang the 300's, forgot that it does in the endzones.
my seats in the 400s is dead-on with the goal net. When i look down, i'm almost over the 200s. The variation along the rail is pretty extreme as you go around.

Truthfully, i like my seats. It gives me an over-the-top players view. I can see plays develop all down the ice. I can see what the goalie sees (shooting lanes, etc). Its an understanding of the game you cant get from the sides, which is the "TV view" where everything gets flattened down. Hockey is played north-south. hence, north/south are the good views.

Old
03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post

I have been to several of the newer arenas with the steeper upper decks. I don't think the lower levels are as steep.

Old
03-08-2011, 07:52 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
I have been to several of the newer arenas with the steeper upper decks. I don't think the lower levels are as steep.
The upper levels in the new arenas are VERY steep.....

Old
03-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Captain Monglobster

Without reading through the entire thread, is there anyone else who thinks MSG is going to lose it's identity after these renovations? It seems like everytime I read about the renovations its always positive responses.

It looks to me like they are going to turn MSG into Disneyland, while specifically catering to higher end clientele. Nice try at commodifying die-hard fandom with the "Blueseats Bar" where you can buy a beer for what a blue seat ticket used to cost.

Tell me how this will end any different than the new NY baseball stadiums: turning an arena into a mall, a place where the game itself becomes secondary.

I understand that this is the norm in modern arena design and would have less of a problem with it if it remained solely an issue of aesthetics, but as I read these forums about in some cases 100% increases in ticket prices, and 40 year season subscribers being pushed out, I can't help but shudder at what seeing a game at the new MSG might feel like, and what kind of "fan" i'll find myself sitting next to.

Old
03-27-2011, 06:44 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
Without reading through the entire thread, is there anyone else who thinks MSG is going to lose it's identity after these renovations? It seems like everytime I read about the renovations its always positive responses.

It looks to me like they are going to turn MSG into Disneyland, while specifically catering to higher end clientele. Nice try at commodifying die-hard fandom with the "Blueseats Bar" where you can buy a beer for what a blue seat ticket used to cost.

Tell me how this will end any different than the new NY baseball stadiums: turning an arena into a mall, a place where the game itself becomes secondary.

I understand that this is the norm in modern arena design and would have less of a problem with it if it remained solely an issue of aesthetics, but as I read these forums about in some cases 100% increases in ticket prices, and 40 year season subscribers being pushed out, I can't help but shudder at what seeing a game at the new MSG might feel like, and what kind of "fan" i'll find myself sitting next to.
Pretty much how I feel regarding the arenas nowadays. As you said though, I'm more concerned with ticket prices than what's actually gonna be in the new arena. To be honest, I'm not sure how much more they can raise them. You may be able to get away with the high prices for the Knicks but not the Rangers. There will definitely be games next year where there's a decent amount of empty seats and the crowd is dead at MSG.

Old
03-27-2011, 06:46 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
The upper levels in the new arenas are VERY steep.....
im terrified of heights too. i almost lost it at the wells fargo center 2nd to last row and snuck down lol

Old
03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
kennglin13

my biggest fear is the rangers score a goal and half the arena is empty and the goal song is not as passionate because fans are too busy playing at the stuff the new arena has to offer

Old
03-27-2011, 09:25 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennglin13 View Post
my biggest fear is the rangers score a goal and half the arena is empty and the goal song is not as passionate because fans are too busy playing at the stuff the new arena has to offer
It'll depend where you sit. Already down in the club seats and to some extent the 100's this happens because of all the suits. In the upper deck I'm sure the fans will be getting into the game since it'll be the average fan.

Old
03-27-2011, 09:26 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennglin13 View Post
Not sure what "stuff" fans will be playing with. Basically they are just modernizing everything so they can charge more money. But I'm more concerned with the place being empty on a Tuesday night vs. Florida or any number of other teams. When the upper level seats are going for $80+ for season subscribers, and over $100 from ticketmaster (which they likely will be going into the 2012 season) I have to wonder who will be there.

Closed Thread