HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do we root for today

Old
03-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
That second team for Phoenix will be rough.
Mistake fixed!

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Monday March 28:

Blackhawks (40-26-8, 88 pts)
at
Red Wings (44-22-9, 97 pts)

I assume we go for Detroit in this one. The odds are extremely small to catch Detroit so we may as well want Chicago to go pointless. Plus they have two games in hand on us so it would be nice to have four more points than them with only one more game played at the end of the day.

Avalanche (28-38-8, 64 pts)
at
Ducks (42-28-5, 89 pts)

Avs obviously

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:05 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Monday March 28:

Blackhawks (40-26-8, 88 pts)
at
Red Wings (44-22-9, 97 pts)

I assume we go for Detroit in this one. The odds are extremely small to catch Detroit so we may as well want Chicago to go pointless. Plus they have two games in hand on us so it would be nice to have four more points than them with only one more game played at the end of the day.

Avalanche (28-38-8, 64 pts)
at
Ducks (42-28-5, 89 pts)

Avs obviously
no sir. go hawks. we take 3 points this week heading into saturday and at best they have a 4 point lead. i'd take my chances with that

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
no sir. go hawks. we take 3 points this week heading into saturday and at best they have a 4 point lead. i'd take my chances with that
I figure catching Detroit wouldn't really be a huge deal in the games except for the home-ice advantage, which we can just get with the 4 seed. Catching Detroit would be nice but I'm just aiming at the 4 spot.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

We're not catching Detroit. It would take a miracle on our part, and a monumental collapse on Detroit's part

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
We're not catching Detroit. It would take a miracle on our part, and a monumental collapse on Detroit's part
It'll be tough, and I doubt it will happen, but I certainly wouldn't say it would be a miracle if we did win the division. Though Howard is far from great, he was their number 1 and he's out for a bit. Datsyuk has been a bit nicked up as well.

If we beat the Canucks and Avs, and Detroit loses to one of Chicago or St. Louis, we go into Saturday down 3 points. We win that one and we're 1 point back with Detroit having one game in hand.

If we make it to that scenario, we have a much easier schedule than DET down the stretch and the division title is a real possibility.

Like I said, highly unlikely, but I wouldn't say it requires a miracle.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:50 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
It'll be tough, and I doubt it will happen, but I certainly wouldn't say it would be a miracle if we did win the division. Though Howard is far from great, he was their number 1 and he's out for a bit. Datsyuk has been a bit nicked up as well.

If we beat the Canucks and Avs, and Detroit loses to one of Chicago or St. Louis, we go into Saturday down 3 points. We win that one and we're 1 point back with Detroit having one game in hand.

If we make it to that scenario, we have a much easier schedule than DET down the stretch and the division title is a real possibility.

Like I said, highly unlikely, but I wouldn't say it requires a miracle.
Even if we go a perfect 6-0-0, Detroit would only have to go 3-3-1 to beat us. Neither of these things are going to happen. We're not catching them.

Heck, we're not even a lock for the playoffs yet. If Dallas wins their games in hand, then they are only 2 point back. They also have a pretty easy schedule down the stretch AND hold the tie-breaker against us.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:56 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I'm also pulling for Chicago over the Ducks. Try to get another team behind us. Then hopefully Chicago fades down the stretch, sounds like they're dinged up. Unless of course the Preds win out or close to it, in which case I'd want Chicago to beat Detroit three times, and lose their others...

But, by far the biggest thing, BEAT DALLAS! WHOO, GO PREDS!
I picked the Ducks the other night because I wasn't sure the Preds would win against the Stars. That way if the Ducks won, they wouldn't pass us, but if the Hawks won they would have passed us.

Oops...don't doubt the Preds!!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Even if we go a perfect 6-0-0, Detroit would only have to go 3-3-1 to beat us. Neither of these things are going to happen. We're not catching them.

Heck, we're not even a lock for the playoffs yet. If Dallas wins their games in hand, then they are only 2 point back. They also have a pretty easy schedule down the stretch AND hold the tie-breaker against us.
No they don't. If they win both games in hand in regulation or overtime that puts them at 35 ROW same as us, we are 2-2 against one another all in regulation and finally, we have a +23 goal differential to their -2. How do you figure they have the tiebreaker?

Like I said, it's highly unlikely, but miracle is a bit of a stretch. I'd like to see DET win tonight just to give the Preds a leg up on Chicago. Looking at the schedules of all the teams fighting for 4-8, I'd say we've got a fair chance of getting into the 4 or 5 seed as long as the Preds take care of business.

Last edited by Broom of the System: 03-28-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
and even then, for Detroit to collapse like that would mean Chicago won several, Det-Chic have 3 games left. My heart wants to say "we got a chance", but....

Detroit is at 97 with a possible 14 more points
We sit at 92 with a possible 12 more points
Chic sits at 88 with a possible 16 more points.

Detroit just needs some combination of 8 points - them winning, Chic and us losing, to wrap up. We've won 6 in a row - we're streaky, but 12 in a row? Chic is talented and can make a run, but they win out it'll be 9 in a row - possible sure, probable??? with 3 games in there against Det... I think you have to figure that Det wins the Div, although they may slip to 3rd in conference.

Personally, I think we root for Det to win enough to keep the Sharks playing to the end and we root for SJ to win out - that's 2 from Ducks, 2 from Phoenix, and one each from Stars and Kings. That gives us our best shot at 4th, but more importantly, a bit of breathing room unless those games all go OT.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I sif det goes 1-2 (lose to us and Chicago) this week, they will sit at 98 on Sunday morning, and we need to pick up 2-0-1 (win vs det and col, take a point from VAN) this week and will sit 2 points back.

the last few games for them are home to Minn, at Car (which could be the last gasp for them) and b2b vs chicago. We have ATL, CBJ and STL. not gimmies, but this team has to know it has to win and play well.

again not plausible, but could happen.

Old
03-28-2011, 10:45 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

McDonnald starting for Detroit while Howard is 'day to day' just wish that 'day to day' came from Dr. Trotz.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:52 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i don't see the appeal in winning the division for any other reason than the banner and the "look at us" appeal.

The reward is likely the Kings or Ducks in the first round. No thanks.

Though I don't think we've got a real shot at winning it, anyway.

Play for fourth, and hope we don't somehow fall to sixth. That's my take.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:00 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'll take any playoff spot that's not opposite SJ.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:05 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

the central champ, no matter who it is is more than likely going to be the 3 seed.

Old
03-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
No they don't. If they win both games in hand in regulation or overtime that puts them at 35 ROW same as us, we are 2-2 against one another all in regulation and finally, we have a +23 goal differential to their -2. How do you figure they have the tiebreaker?

Like I said, it's highly unlikely, but miracle is a bit of a stretch. I'd like to see DET win tonight just to give the Preds a leg up on Chicago. Looking at the schedules of all the teams fighting for 4-8, I'd say we've got a fair chance of getting into the 4 or 5 seed as long as the Preds take care of business.
We have more shootout wins than Dallas. If they catch us in points by winning their games in reg/OT, then yes, they hold the tiebreaker. Season series and goal differential does not come in to play here.

You are arguing semantics. I would consider 6-0-0 a miracle, given our team. Maybe I shouldn't use religious terms so loosely But yes, winning the division is highly unlikely. Whatever you want to call it, it ain't happening.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:14 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
I think its best to just hope for a regulation win either way.

if Detroit wins, then cool, playoffs are a lot closer to being a lock.

if Chicago wins, cool, give us more motivation to keep our foot on the gas...

but an OT game..... just sucks, either way...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
We have more shootout wins than Dallas. If they catch us in points by winning their games in reg/OT, then yes, they hold the tiebreaker. Season series and goal differential does not come in to play here.
Right, we have one more shootout win than Dallas. We also have 3 more total wins in 2 more games played. Hence being 6 points up. If Dallas wins the 2 GIH that they have, that puts them one win behind us, the shootout win. Which evens our ROW at 35. They don't have the tiebreaker.

Sure, if they win their two games in hand and then win more games in regulation than us in the final 6 games, they'll have the tiebreaker. But those are some big ifs and at this point they do not have the tiebreaker.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Right, we have one more shootout win than Dallas. We also have 3 more total wins in 2 more games played. Hence being 6 points up. If Dallas wins the 2 GIH that they have, that puts them one win behind us, the shootout win. Which evens our ROW at 35. They don't have the tiebreaker.
In your scenario, the tiebreaker rule doesn't matter because the two teams are not tied

Old
03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
In your scenario, the tiebreaker rule doesn't matter because the two teams are not tied
I don't see how you can say they have the tiebreaker at this point, 6 points back with two fewer games played and 2 fewer ROW.

It seems like you're saying that if they tie us in points by winning their two games in hand, then winning more games in regulation than us in the final 6 games, they'll have the tiebreaker. Therefore, they currently have the tiebreaker. I guess I disagree.

Last edited by Broom of the System: 03-28-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old
03-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I don't see how you can say they have the tiebreaker at this point, 6 points back with two fewer games played and 2 fewer ROW.
If they catch us in points, then they hold the tiebreaker. The first part was key to my original statement. They can't catch us in points by only winning their games in hand. We'd have to lose 1 more.

Let me try to explain it a different way. Say we lose tomorrow and Dallas wins. A very plausible scenario. That puts us at 77 GP, 92 points, and 35 ROW. Dallas at 75 GP, 88 points, and 34 ROW. At that point, they can pass us by winning their games in hand in reg/ot.

Quote:
It seems like you're saying that if they tie us in points by winning their two games in hand, then winning more games in regulation than us in the final 6 games, they'll have the tiebreaker. Therefore, they currently have the tiebreaker. I guess I disagree.
That's why I said "If they catch us in points."

Last edited by Paranoid Android: 03-28-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old
03-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Firestorm

I'm cheering for DET tonight. This is because the best revenge that we can get on the Blackhawks by us making the playoffs and they don't.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
If they catch us in points, then they hold the tiebreaker. The first part was key to my original statement. They can't catch us in points by only winning their games in hand. We'd have to lose 1 more.

Let me try to explain it a different way. Say we lose tomorrow and Dallas wins. A very plausible scenario. That puts us at 77 GP, 92 points, and 35 ROW. Dallas at 75 GP, 88 points, and 34 ROW. At that point, they can pass us by winning their games in hand in reg/ot.
"If Dallas wins their games in hand, then they are only 2 point back. They also have a pretty easy schedule down the stretch AND hold the tie-breaker against us."

I agree that if they catch us in points and win more games in regulation than we do in the final 6 games then they'll have the tiebreaker. I just don't think this translates to currently having the tiebreaker.

So yes, in the future it's quite plausible that they'll have the tiebreaker. Does that mean they currently have it? I don't think so.

Pointless argument anyway, we understand one another and disagree. Who cares, let's hope the Preds take care of business and we wont have to worry about future Dallas tiebreakers.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Broom of the System

I'm away from home and don't have access to VS. Anyone watching the Wings game care to describe Bert's elbowing major?

Edit: Nevermind, forgot my brother has GameCenter Live, seems like the refs missed the call, Bert hit him with his armpit not elbow.

Last edited by Broom of the System: 03-28-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old
03-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
I'm cheering for DET tonight. This is because the best revenge that we can get on the Blackhawks by us making the playoffs and they don't.
Not really interested in revenge but I am interested in getting the best seed possible.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote