Game 74: Ducks @ Nashville Predators 03/24/11 5:00PM PST

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2011, 05:07 AM
fitchjr1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckscrazy View Post
I rather just not play him at all for the rest of the season...maybe we should send him down to Syracuse on a rehab assingment, if we're allowed to.
That was my thinking for the past week or so would have been to send him down on conditioning for a game or two. Syracuse has nothing to play for, so there would've been no pressure. Instead, a goaltender who hasn't played in a month is thrown right into a huge and intense playoff battle, ice cold. Emery/Ellis seems to have been doing well recently, so what would another week have hurt, while getting your #1 back in gameshape, without risking throwing away a game..

Old
03-25-2011, 06:44 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

It's a shame really, we have a point in this game if Hiller doesn't start, shut him down, we can't afford to let a goaltender play back into form in this stage of the season where we need every point we can get.

Great work to try and stage a comeback, too bad we came up short

Old
03-25-2011, 06:48 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Oh yeah and Suter...what a finish that was!

Old
03-25-2011, 09:05 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Secondary scoring...we don't have any.
You can be sure Quenneville knows this.. he'll put putting Keith and Seabrook back together to match the RPG line next game, for sure.

Last edited by leafs1habs0: 03-25-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old
03-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Why? Ellis in net the whole game and we win. He had exactly the same save % as Rinne.

EDIT - I find it beyond frustrating Ducks have now lost games by 1 goal to the Sharks and Preds after an obviously ailing Hiller gave up 3 goals in limited duty. At Carlyle, not Hiller, just to be clear.
This!

Old
03-25-2011, 09:20 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
You can be sure Quenneville knows this.. he'll put putting Keith and Seabrook back together to match the RPG line for sure next game.
Great, that leaves Selšnne free to score some goals .

Sucks to lose but it didn't surprise me. Nashville has been poison against us.

Carlyle played Hiller too soon and he probably puts him against Chicago too.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

I'm sure this has all been said, but I have to vent:

Big mistake and unnecessary gamble.

Emery has been great and Ellis has been solid, so lets throw a guy in net who is still dealing with Vertigo.

Nice one Carlyle.

Perry is in some kind of zone, he looks like he could score a goal every shift. One behind Stamkos now.

Lilja on breakaway was funny. He almost scored actually.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Gibson Les Palms
ImperiumDuckusSacrum

Getzlaf's line had success against Weber and Suter. I'm confident they can do the same again Seabrook and Keith.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Jerky Leclerc

Randy was looking at the long term picture and thinking about getting Hiller back in the lineup for the playoffs. It is clear that Hiller is not ready and with how tight the standing is, we can't afford to lose the next five games to get him there. Emery and Ellis will be the guys to take us until they falter the rest of the way.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:26 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
Getzlaf's line had success against Weber and Suter. I'm confident they can do the same again Seabrook and Keith.
No doubt at all when RPG line is on form and motivated they are unplayable, just a case of them playing like that for the run in!

Old
03-25-2011, 01:18 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Randy was looking at the long term picture and thinking about getting Hiller back in the lineup for the playoffs. It is clear that Hiller is not ready and with how tight the standing is, we can't afford to lose the next five games to get him there. Emery and Ellis will be the guys to take us until they falter the rest of the way.
I think it would have been better to ease Hiller into a game where we're losing big and let him play the 3rd period.

Such a tough situation for Hiller getting the start on the road after such a long layoff especially on the 2nd of a back to back... i don't like that decision.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Wayfarer

What a game. I mean, we lost, but there were still a bunch of positives. We never gave up. It was 5-1 at some point yet the final score was 5-4. With a little help from Suter, but still. This is not the Ducks we see in the first half of the season. They were determined, they never gave up. It's been like this for some time now. You can see they really want to win. They have the attitude to make the playoffs and have success there.

Carlyle made a mistake by putting Hiller in too soon. And still not all those three goals were because of Jonas. Sure, 3 goals on 7 shots looks bad but the second goal was a lucky bounce for the Preds and the third was a deflection.

And the Ducks' MVP? Corey Perry. I could just praise him again and again, especially after a dominating game like this one.

Old
03-25-2011, 09:24 PM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Great, that leaves Selšnne free to score some goals .

Sucks to lose but it didn't surprise me. Nashville has been poison against us.

Carlyle played Hiller too soon and he probably puts him against Chicago too.
If only Selanne could actually score some goals even strength. I know everyone is going to hate on me, especially because of the big goals Selanne has score recently, but he just floats around until the puck comes to him. Doesnt even move his feet. ESPECIALLY in the game where he tied it with 5 seconds left.

Old
03-25-2011, 09:37 PM
duckhead32686
For8ver Teemu

Send a message via AIM to duckhead32686
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
If only Selanne could actually score some goals even strength. I know everyone is going to hate on me, especially because of the big goals Selanne has score recently, but he just floats around until the puck comes to him. Doesnt even move his feet. ESPECIALLY in the game where he tied it with 5 seconds left.
Not hating on you, but why does he need to move when hes always in the perfect position to score? Dallas game hes on the far post waiting for a rebound hes in the correct postion to score with seconds left.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:31 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
What a game. I mean, we lost, but there were still a bunch of positives. We never gave up. It was 5-1 at some point yet the final score was 5-4. With a little help from Suter, but still. This is not the Ducks we see in the first half of the season. They were determined, they never gave up. It's been like this for some time now. You can see they really want to win. They have the attitude to make the playoffs and have success there.

Carlyle made a mistake by putting Hiller in too soon. And still not all those three goals were because of Jonas. Sure, 3 goals on 7 shots looks bad but the second goal was a lucky bounce for the Preds and the third was a deflection.

And the Ducks' MVP? Corey Perry. I could just praise him again and again, especially after a dominating game like this one.
/agree

Old
03-26-2011, 12:19 AM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhead32686 View Post
Not hating on you, but why does he need to move when hes always in the perfect position to score? Dallas game hes on the far post waiting for a rebound hes in the correct postion to score with seconds left.
Because a very small percentage of the game is actually played that close to the other teams net?

Forechecking, backchecking, trying to create turnovers, trying to take the puck from the other team. All of which Selanne does zero of. And even with all that, his goal scoring probably makes up for it.

But, the one thing i cannot stand, is when the puck is near him and kind of sliding his direction, he could totally skate to it and get it but instead he will stand there and hope that the puck slides to him before the other team gets to it first. THAT i cannot stand. And THAT happens many many times a game.

Let be honest, Selanne is awesome, but hes a floater. I dont have any problem with this, if next year he is on our third line. People wonder why we have no secondary scoring, its because we have a sub-par even strength second line.

Selanne shines on the power play because he can stand in one spot and wait for his opportunity. That doesnt happen even strength.

There, i said it. Now everyone can bash me.

Old
03-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Gibson Les Palms
ImperiumDuckusSacrum

Bob's gotta do something this summer. Can't have Blake on the 2nd line anymore and I don't think Saku gets enough pts anymore either.

Old
03-26-2011, 01:03 AM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Because a very small percentage of the game is actually played that close to the other teams net?

Forechecking, backchecking, trying to create turnovers, trying to take the puck from the other team. All of which Selanne does zero of. And even with all that, his goal scoring probably makes up for it.

But, the one thing i cannot stand, is when the puck is near him and kind of sliding his direction, he could totally skate to it and get it but instead he will stand there and hope that the puck slides to him before the other team gets to it first. THAT i cannot stand. And THAT happens many many times a game.

Let be honest, Selanne is awesome, but hes a floater. I dont have any problem with this, if next year he is on our third line. People wonder why we have no secondary scoring, its because we have a sub-par even strength second line.

Selanne shines on the power play because he can stand in one spot and wait for his opportunity. That doesnt happen even strength.

There, i said it. Now everyone can bash me.
i dont know if its THAT bad.. the thing that you are saying about watching it come to him i do sorta see some times.. in the offensive zone i do see him forecheck.. the main forechecker on that line is blake followed by koivu with selanne a distant 3rd..
hes also 3rd on our team in takeaways lol.. i think it just seems liek that because we know when selanne wants to turn on the jets hes blazing fast.. he really picks his spots to turn it on though and i guess thats why it seems like sometimes hes a bit of a "floater"

Old
03-26-2011, 01:55 AM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
i dont know if its THAT bad.. the thing that you are saying about watching it come to him i do sorta see some times.. in the offensive zone i do see him forecheck.. the main forechecker on that line is blake followed by koivu with selanne a distant 3rd..
hes also 3rd on our team in takeaways lol.. i think it just seems liek that because we know when selanne wants to turn on the jets hes blazing fast.. he really picks his spots to turn it on though and i guess thats why it seems like sometimes hes a bit of a "floater"
True. That may cause somewhat of a false perception . Also, there is some games where he isnt floating and shows good effort. And that's also kind of the point, he CAN forecheck, but most games it seems he just chooses not to. It wouldnt even be as bad if he just wasnt that good and couldnt forecheck and create turnovers. But, he can.

Old
03-26-2011, 02:03 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
(In anticipation of jepjoo) Sub par 2nd line scoring has more to do with Koivu and Blake than Selanne.

Selanne has the 4th most ES points of our forwards with 40. Getzlaf has 43, but 6 fewer games. But when you take ES ice time into account, Selanne is 2nd on the team with 2.4 points per 60 min ESTOI (Ryan has 2.51, Perry has 2.39, Koivu has 1.57, and Blake has 1.48).

League-wide, Selanne has done well at ES. His 40 ES points ranks 32nd in the league for forwards (6-way tie). Going by pure numbers, there's 90 "1st line forwards."

Koivu ranks 142nd in ES points (9-way tie) and Blake ranks 191st (9-way tie). Similar to "90 1st line forwards," the next 90 are "2nd line forwards." So ES production-wise Koivu is in the bottom 42% of 2nd liners and Blake would technically be a 3rd liner.

Actually there was just an article about Selanne. I'll try to find it. It mentions that he's a great scorer because he has a knack for floating. That the "Kunitz" type players that don't float are important to get the puck to the floaters so they can score.

edit: found it, it's a Yahoo blog. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl-wp987
Quote:
Stripped down to the base element, continually scoring those "just in the right spot" goals seems start with this: Pure goal scorers sense chaos better than other players, and they capitalize on the madness the way savvy stock brokers don't overreact to every fluctuation in the market. When the play becomes frenzied and opponents start to grip their sticks extra hard, their bodies seem to release one smooth dose of Valium into the bloodstream, and it suddenly it's time to head for the quiet areas inside the zone.

If there's a goal-mouth scramble, heading into the pile will undeniably increase your likelihood of touching the puck. You can help screen the goalie if someone gets it, and you can help knock defensemen away from it. Your team needs players like that.

But when you do get a touch on the puck in there, the odds of you actually having the time and space to make a decent shot are slim to none, and slim just dropped into the butterfly position and took away the bottom of the net. In that kerfuffle, defensemen grab your stick with their loose hand, the puck is in your feet, and suddenly it squirts out of the pile.

And, kaboom, there's your lurker.

Those stealthy finishers won't touch the puck nearly as often as the grinders will when it comes to in-crease chaos, but when they finally do, rest assured some twine will be receiving a complimentary cold puck massage.

Old
03-26-2011, 03:43 AM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Considering linemates he's pretty much our most effective player on even strength.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:15 AM
QnebO

Quote:

I've seen him improving this year in those things. I really think it isnt zero of, what selanne does there in terms of defensive and forecheck play. Hes playing style is like "old school sniper", what includes some floating true. Hes not a "hybrid" like ovechkin or tuomo ruutu, (they do it all, just all. Hit, forecheck, defend, dangle, snipe, playmake..) but he does forecheck and defence too. Also hes +4 this season.

He is definedly not defensive forward at all, but I think saying he does zero those things is too much said. He is the reason second line actually offers some secondary scoring with hes playmaking skills, that have been showing up more this year than before. Someone above me just pasted some nice numbers about teemu scoring even strenght. I know where those ideas about selanne is a full floater came from, because sometimes he looks like just surfing around. Its just like hes skating style... he surfs head up, follows how the play builds.. then turns jets on or makes a pass, when he gets the puck.

Quote:
he just floats around until the puck comes to him. Doesnt even move his feet. ESPECIALLY in the game where he tied it with 5 seconds left.
Umm.. not trying to be mean but just asking, why he actually would do anything different? He actually scores that way, he knows where to go to score. Its hes office.. I mean, why should he move somewere, maybe to not to score? If he scores that way its good way isn't it? Trashing him about not doing good forecheck is somehow relevant.. But why would you mock him for scoring so much on powerplay? Whit that style hes just 2 goals away from Mario Lemiux's 5th place in all time NHL PP goals..

Last edited by QnebO: 03-26-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old
03-28-2011, 12:08 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
hey guys what a crazy game. Your team is insanely intense when they are backed into a corner and desperate to score.

I think as long as you get some decent goaltending, you'll make it in. Ellis carried us in the final two weeks three years ago... he could do it again.

We will do our best to knock Dallas off saturday, feel free to do the same to the Hawks

good luck the rest of the way
I love it when a plan comes together.

So lets try another one.... meet you guys in the conference finals... deal?

Old
03-28-2011, 12:32 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I love it when a plan comes together.

So lets try another one.... meet you guys in the conference finals... deal?
Only if you let us win

Closed Thread