HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Thread - Kopitar (Out for Season), Williams (Out 4 weeks), Parse (Day to Day)

Old
03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Orenji

vCash: 500
Today is the day. Let's all hope for the best.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Ross_SLO

Srečno Kralj Anže

good luck King Anže

Ross_SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I like these lines better, because of Stoll's relationship with Penner. I'd like to see Clune or Elkins get called up

Penner-Stoll-Moller
Smyth-Handzus-Brown
Ponikarovsky-Lewis-Simmonds
Clifford-Richardson/Elkins-Richardson/Westgarth/Clune

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Please let the MRI come back clean. Nervous to hear the results

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:39 AM
JCabranes

Kool-Aid

I have been in a foul mood since Anze broke his ankle. If you saw the replay on TV then you knew it was bad right away (ankles don't bend in that direction). Anyway, at the begining I figured like many of you that we were doomed to 4 and out when the playoffs start. That still may happen but there are reasons to believe that the Kings might do much better than that. I list them in no particular order:

1. Never understate the value of the other team's overconfidence.

If the other team doesn't take us seriously, they are in trouble, I don't care who they are. Any team in this league can beat any other team on any given night. You take your opponent lightly and you are going to lose.

2. The system.

TM's system is a defense first system. Goals are going to be hard to come by. If the Kings play their system and lock it down tight they've got a shot.

3. The hot player or players.

In a short series one player can make a difference (see Chris Kontos). We have in Quick one of the best goaltenders (statistically) in the game, he gets hot and we should win. You also have a group of players who have talent and any one of them could pull a Kontos and carry the team for a round or two.

4. The Helen Reddy Factor (You and Me Against the World)

Do not underestimate value of a tight knit squad and a bunker mentality (see the Penguins without Sid and Gino). The core of this group has grown up together and DL has chosen them for their character. They have skill (though admittedly diminished by the losses of Willy and Anze), they have toughness and they have character. This is where team cohesiveness gets put to the test. I have no doubt that they'll play for each other and that could spell trouble for other teams.

Maybe I'm drinking the Kool Aid, maybe they go out 4-0, but I don't think so. Regardless of who we play I think we'll give them a run for their money. Of course, all of this presupposes that we make the playoffs... if we don't then we don't have the talent or the character that I think we have.

Last edited by JCabranes: 03-28-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo
JCabranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

I still can't believe it, Kopi needs to be in the playoffs

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes View Post
If the other team doesn't take us seriously, they are in trouble, I don't care who they are. Any team in this league can beat any other team on any given night. You take your opponent lightly and you are going to lose.

The Penguins were without Crosby AND Malkin and still managed to beat us. I'm not worried.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:44 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The first round match-up's importance is magnified with Kopitar out for Round 1. The Kings would do well to match up with Nashville or Phoenix in round 1. Nashville ideally. They've had trouble scoring goals all season. Phoenix for the same reason. They both have strong goaltending, but I think our D can shut both teams down.

My order of preference for Round 1:

1. Nashville
2. Phoenix
3. Anaheim
4. San Jose
5. Detroit
6. Vancouver
7. Chicago

Vancouver or Chicago is a toss-up for worst match-up. I'd prefer Vancouver because they're pretty banged up and the Kings will play their best vs. them because of last year but they have all sorts of firepower offensively that the Kings can't match. Chicago isn't the same team they were last season but the Kings couldn't beat them a single time this year.

Detroit doesn't scare me as much as they used to. They have another gear in the post-season, but Howard is a huge question mark in net and they aren't getting any younger. We won the season series vs. them as well.

I'd love to face San Jose, but not without Williams or Kopitar. Hopefully the Kings can get to round 2, get Williams back and then pray Kopitar can pull a Sandstrom.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:14 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
We have in Quick one of the best goaltenders (statistically) in the game
... This has gotta be a case where if the same falsehood is quoted over and over again, it becomes truth. Quick isn't one of the ten best goalies in the league. He might be in the top 15 but that's being generous. He's in the pack, in the lower end of the pack at that.

There are 30 goalies who have faced 925 or more shots this season. The goalies who rank higher than Quick statistically are: Thomas, Hiller, Rinne, Luongo, Ward, Lundqvist, Price, Vokoun, Bobrovsky, Bryzgalov, Crawford, Reimer, Fleury, Pavelec, Dubnyk, Neuvirth, Niemi, and Backstrom. You might be able to make a case that Quick is superior to Neuvirth, Niemi, and Backstrom due to the shootout - but that doesn't have any bearing on the upcoming playoffs for obvious reasons. Quick is anywhere from 15th to 19th in the NHL, depending on what you want to include in your rankings.

Combine that with the fact that last season Quick didn't even rank in the top 20, and what you have here is a number one goalie who's average at best, has posted three good months in the past two seasons, and is tremendously overrated by a Kings' fanbase that, prior to Quick, hadn't seen a goalie win a playoff game since the days of Felix Potvin and Kelly Hrudey. It's understandable with a history like that to fall in love with someone like Quick - but at this stage, it's getting a bit ridiculous, don't you think? I'm not saying he isn't capable of a hot streak, but hell, any goalie in the NHL is capable of that. Why kid yourself in the meantime?

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Whiskeypete

LA did well versus DET because of Kopi. his two way play was huge against Datsyuk and essentially shut down his line in all the games. without him on the ice to counter Datsyuk LA won't stand up to DET the same....my $0.02

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:23 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... This has gotta be a case where if the same falsehood is quoted over and over again, it becomes truth. Quick isn't one of the ten best goalies in the league. He might be in the top 15 but that's being generous. He's in the pack, in the lower end of the pack at that.

There are 30 goalies who have faced 925 or more shots this season. The goalies who rank higher than Quick statistically are: Thomas, Hiller, Rinne, Luongo, Ward, Lundqvist, Price, Vokoun, Bobrovsky, Bryzgalov, Crawford, Reimer, Fleury, Pavelec, Dubnyk, Neuvirth, Niemi, and Backstrom. You might be able to make a case that Quick is superior to Neuvirth, Niemi, and Backstrom due to the shootout - but that doesn't have any bearing on the upcoming playoffs for obvious reasons. Quick is anywhere from 15th to 19th in the NHL, depending on what you want to include in your rankings.

Combine that with the fact that last season Quick didn't even rank in the top 20, and what you have here is a number one goalie who's average at best, has posted three good months in the past two seasons, and is tremendously overrated by a Kings' fanbase that, prior to Quick, hadn't seen a goalie win a playoff game since the days of Felix Potvin and Kelly Hrudey. It's understandable with a history like that to fall in love with someone like Quick - but at this stage, it's getting a bit ridiculous, don't you think? I'm not saying he isn't capable of a hot streak, but hell, any goalie in the NHL is capable of that. Why kid yourself in the meantime?

He's tied for 7th in wins and 4th in GAA. Thats good enough for me.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
He's tied for 7th in wins and 4th in GAA. Thats good enough for me.
-tied for 5th in shutouts with 6
-1st for shootout wins at a perfect 9-0
-ranked 13th in shootout save % with .829, but that doesn't tell the entire story here. only Lundqvist (rated at 11th) has faced the equivalent amount of shot in the SO (44 - .841). the next closest is Hiller with 26 shots faced and a .846. every other goalie above him has faced less than 17 SO shots.

he is a candidate for the Kings MVP this season based on his play. what more you want?

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

I will be spending all day with my fingers crossed, praying Kopi will make a full recovery, regardless of how long it takes. Would love to see him show up to help out in western conference finals, but getting him back healthy next year is what matters most.

I am also strangely confident though. Our team plays well when desperate, and I'm hoping to see multiple players step up to the challenge. This has the potential to be pretty exciting. If we can win big games without our star, it will build immense confidence for the whole team when he returns.

Also i feel like the pressure is off a bit. We were in a position where if we did not make the second round it would have been somewhat of a disappointment. Now other teams are expecting basically nothing from us.

What a chance to prove them wrong and let the other players turn some heads.

All i want this season is to take away the Ducks playoffs chances, preferably April 9th so i can see the sadness in their lame fans eyes in person.

* fyi I'm being modest, i still kinda expect us to make a run for the cup.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:21 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

FWIW... update on Schenn's eligibility per Hammond (basically, it isn't happening):

"Just to clarify, on the issues of Brayden Schenn’s NHL eligibility — because I think I’ve finally got a grasp on it — there’s only a very, very slim chance that Schenn could join the Kings this season. Essentially, Schenn wouldn’t be eligible to join the Kings on an emergency basis unless three more injuries took place to forwards (not counting Anze Kopitar). This is based on the agreement between the NHL and the Canadian Hockey League, and the rules get much more strict after March 1."

Old
03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
FWIW... update on Schenn's eligibility per Hammond (basically, it isn't happening):

"Just to clarify, on the issues of Brayden Schenn’s NHL eligibility — because I think I’ve finally got a grasp on it — there’s only a very, very slim chance that Schenn could join the Kings this season. Essentially, Schenn wouldn’t be eligible to join the Kings on an emergency basis unless three more injuries took place to forwards (not counting Anze Kopitar). This is based on the agreement between the NHL and the Canadian Hockey League, and the rules get much more strict after March 1."
Where I'm unclear in all this is regarding the post-season.

I don't think we truly need Schenn until the NHL playoffs. I could be wrong, but doesn't the WHL playoffs end before he NHL playoffs start? Would an emergency call up be allowed, so long as he finishes the post-season with his WHL team?

Question that matters: Say Saskatoon wins the WHL championships in 7 games. When would that end?

Last edited by Kingurentai: 03-28-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: wrong team name
Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Where I'm unclear in all this is regarding the post-season.

I don't think we truly need Schenn until the NHL playoffs. I could be wrong, but doesn't the WHL playoffs end before he NHL playoffs start? Would an emergency call up be allowed, so long as he finishes the post-season with his WHL team?

Question that matters: Say the Wheat Kings win the WHL championships in 7 games. When would that end?
Not really answering your question, just an FYI, Brayden plays for Saskatoon now.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:

4. The Helen Reddy Factor (You and Me Against the World)

Do not underestimate value of a tight knit squad and a bunker mentality (see the Penguins without Sid and Gino). The core of this group has grown up together and DL has chosen them for their character. They have skill (though admittedly diminished by the losses of Willy and Anze), they have toughness and they have character. This is where team cohesiveness gets put to the test. I have no doubt that they'll play for each other and that could spell trouble for other teams.

Maybe I'm drinking the Kool Aid, maybe they go out 4-0, but I don't think so. Regardless of who we play I think we'll give them a run for their money. Of course, all of this presupposes that we make the playoffs... if we don't then we don't have the talent or the character that I think we have.
This. I can't understate how incredibly sorry I feel for Kopitar and the sinking feeling I had in my gut last game, but I'm excited to see how this team responds to some SERIOUS adversity.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Not really answering your question, just an FYI, Brayden plays for Saskatoon now.
Yeah caught that. But not as important as my question

Does anyone know if we can get Schenn as soon as his WHL playoff run is done, regardless of other injuries? And when would be the latest?

Old
03-28-2011, 03:04 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Question that matters: Say Saskatoon wins the WHL championships in 7 games. When would that end?
Mid-May.

Then there's the Memorial Cup. If his team wins the WHL championship, they would get an invite to the Memorial Cup. That runs to May 29th.

Schenn can report to the Kings once his team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Mid-May.

Then there's the Memorial Cup. If his team wins the WHL championship, they would get an invite to the Memorial Cup. That runs to May 29th.

Schenn can report to the Kings once his team is eliminated from the playoffs.
it's kind of odd how hammond didn't take the time to mention that possibility (however slim it may be).

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Today is the day. Let's all hope for the best.
The apparent fracture was just a scratch on the X-ray and Kopitar will be ready to go tomorrow.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Kingurentai

Gracias for the explanation.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
6 weeks puts Kopi on track for a return near May 9th. I'm praying to hear 4-6 weeks and have him near the beginning of the 2nd round. I can see us winning a series without him but after that its hard to stay optimistic.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:14 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
6 weeks puts Kopi on track for a return near May 9th. I'm praying to hear 4-6 weeks and have him near the beginning of the 2nd round. I can see us winning a series without him but after that its hard to stay optimistic.
Yep. Assuming the time estimates bear out, Williams would be due back around April 21st.

Round 1 of the playoffs will go through the end of April. Round 2 will go to mid-May. If all goes VERY well we could see Williams back in the middle of Round 1. Kopitar would be sometime during round 2.

Getting Williams back alone would be a huge boost.

Last edited by TonySCV: 03-28-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old
03-28-2011, 03:29 PM
tbn

Slovenian national television reports that Kopitar had suffered broken bone (Fibula), just above his ankle. Unfortunate there is also broken ligament. He is out for 6 – 8 weeks. S***.

source:
http://www.rtvslo.si/sport/hokej/kop...igament/254101

Sorry guys.

Last edited by tbn: 03-28-2011 at 03:40 PM.
tbn is offline   Reply With Quote