HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden renovations

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Canjo
AVA

vCash: 500
the renovations are good, your objections are noted, but, a new arena will bring in more money and the current level of fanfare for the team wont change, people arent going to stop going to hockey games because of slightly higher ticket prices, especially with the teams future being so bright, the renovations are gonna be sweet. also, people dont want to go to a dump to watch a game, they want to go to a nice arena and thats what MSG will be.

Old
03-27-2011, 10:48 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canjo View Post
the renovations are good, your objections are noted, but, a new arena will bring in more money and the current level of fanfare for the team wont change, people arent going to stop going to hockey games because of slightly higher ticket prices, especially with the teams future being so bright, the renovations are gonna be sweet. also, people dont want to go to a dump to watch a game, they want to go to a nice arena and thats what MSG will be.
Yes they will and it's been seen this season where they've struggled to sell seats behind the goal. Maybe the arena will be full the next couple of seasons because of the novelty factor of the new arena but than what? The team better be a perennial cup contender at the prices these *******s are gonna charge.

Old
03-27-2011, 10:58 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
I guess I'm in the minority but I don't like MSG as it is now and I think it's really dated. I can't wait for the place to be renovated and made to be a lot nicer. Like others have said though, they're trying to suite it it up and jack up the prices on everyone, which I'm really not happy about. There's going to be less and less young fans that grow up to be paying customers and less hard core fans who just can't afford to go to as many games as before.

Old
03-27-2011, 11:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canjo View Post
I'm not rich, but I do ok. And I've been going to fewer games each year as the prices have risen steadily. I can't see how I'll spend close to $100 to sit in the upper level for anything other than a rivalry game. And as for the lower level, it will be 90% corporate. Sure, some of those people will be hockey or even Rangers fans. But most will be clients out for a night of wining and dining...they'll have a nice time but they won't be doing much cheering. Yes, the team has a bright future...and the new garden will look great. But unless you have a corporate expense account it's not going to be "fan friendly" to the average person's budget.

Old
03-27-2011, 11:03 PM
nyrmetros

NOT a fan.

Old
03-27-2011, 11:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah I think the renovations are a joke. I don't care how the Garden looks, I go there to watch Hockey and now it's going to be much more expensive to do so.

The Garden's not even ugly or old looking in the first place, imo.

Old
03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah I think the renovations are a joke. I don't care how the Garden looks, I go there to watch Hockey and now it's going to be much more expensive to do so.

The Garden's not even ugly or old looking in the first place, imo.
It's definitely old but it's been kept in pretty good shape for an arena from the 60's. Main problem with the arena is that the concourses are too small and that there's a lot of blind spots in the 400's, corners, and endzones for hockey. That's not the reason why this arena's being transformed though. It's being done to get as many luxury boxes as possible inside of the arena and to squeeze every last penny out of the fans.

I do love MSG though. What's a shame is the arena isn't getting any recognition in what's basically it's final year. As far as I'm concerned, this is a new arena in the same location.

Old
03-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Kane One

vCash: 1500
I don't have a problem with the small concourses. The only time I'm there is to get food before the game and that's it. I'm sitting in my seat the entire game and during intermissions. The only time I urinate is after the game, so I could care less how small the concourses are.

03-28-2011, 01:52 AM
ThisYearsModel

Th iconic nature of the place needs to be preserved, but the sight lines suck and will not be improved all that much. It will be interesting to see how they fare actually TRYING to preserve the ceiling, which is the signature feature. Adding more suites that most of the real fans will never be able to access is a fact of life these days, but still blows for the average fan.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:36 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Biggest issue with the Garden for me right now is: No leg room when sitting.

If you are in the realm of 6 feet tall, you feel my pain. Hoping this gets fixed cause it is literally painful to have your knees digging into the seat in front of you. I'm not going to ask for much, just a couple more inches of leg room to spare my legs. Will make going to the game that much easier.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:50 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post

If you are in the realm of 6 feet tall, you feel my pain. Hoping this gets fixed cause it is literally painful to have your knees digging into the seat in front of you. I'm not going to ask for much, just a couple more inches of leg room to spare my legs. Will make going to the game that much easier.
I completely agree. That and the tiny concourses are the only real problems I have with MSG (aside from the corporatization).

Old
03-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Anyone know if the shop that sells the garden tours are open or closed?

You know, the little shop that also sells merchandise besides the main ticket stands..

We were there in august last year and it was closed...

Old
03-28-2011, 07:12 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Neil Best of Newsday wrote a story on how many season ticket holders have dumped their plans and buy tickets from the secondary market.

Quote:
Fans of the Mets, Yankees, Giants and Jets experienced sticker shock when those teams opened new stadiums in 2009 and '10. But in part because of the market transparency, consumers have been able to push back (to a degree) on price.

The Mets are a study in the realities of the free market.

When Citi Field opened in 2009, many fans paid the stiff prices for season tickets, figuring a new stadium and lower capacity would make it easy to resell individual games.

That plan soured when the team flopped. In 2010, many season subscribers bailed, on the theory they could join the crowds on StubHub.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...game-1.2784396

You can purchase Yankee tickets on the secondary market for the cost of the ticket(face value). You'll pay a premium for Opening Day on Thursday and when Boston is on town but you can find tickets at a decent price for the remaining 70 plus games. I bought tickets to 3 Yankee games in April for face value off Stubhub.

The Garden thinks fans are going to pay a premium for a lousy product. The Garden is a ghost town on most nights right now. These aren't the 1970's and mid 1980's when Manhattan was the only borough with cable. You can purchase the games you want to attend for not much if not any premium off the face and not have to eat tickets for Ottawa last Thursday when nobody wanted to go.

Old
03-28-2011, 08:26 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennglin13 View Post
my biggest fear is the rangers score a goal and half the arena is empty and the goal song is not as passionate because fans are too busy playing at the stuff the new arena has to offer
Have you been to MSG the past few years? When they score now it seems the arena is 1/2 empty most of the time. If you look around, always lots of empty seats.

Old
03-28-2011, 08:28 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

In my seats in 420, I am real comfy (I am 6'2"). When I sat in 207 for the Sunday Pens game I felt like my knees were touching my cheeks and didn't have as much room on the sides.

Old
03-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
In my seats in 420, I am real comfy (I am 6'2"). When I sat in 207 for the Sunday Pens game I felt like my knees were touching my cheeks and didn't have as much room on the sides.
It's really tight in the 300s too.

Old
03-28-2011, 10:24 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

I have no problem with that in the 300's and 400's. (I'm 6'1.) I get free tickets to the 200's every once in a blue moon, though, and I feel the pain there. Would be a good idea to space out the seats, but you just know they'll use that as an excuse to wipe out some rows in the 300's .

Old
03-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow, all the negativity!

I for one, want the reno and at this point plan on holding onto my season subscription in the 300's.

although relevant to a small degree, Baseball stadiums are not a good analogy: twice the number of games and 3 times the seating capacity.

The Garden is NOT half empty on most nights. That's silly. Even the Sens game had a pretty good size crowd.

There is still residual trouble selling "lower bowl" seats, but as the economy and and the team improve even that will start to change as corporations will once again desire the cache of Rangers Tickets as perks for clients and star employees.

Playoff tickets are the reason for maintaining a season subscription. Watch what happens to that stubhub option if we make it to the 2nd round.....

03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Wow, all the negativity!

I for one, want the reno and at this point plan on holding onto my season subscription in the 300's.

although relevant to a small degree, Baseball stadiums are not a good analogy: twice the number of games and 3 times the seating capacity.

The Garden is NOT half empty on most nights. That's silly. Even the Sens game had a pretty good size crowd.

There is still residual trouble selling "lower bowl" seats, but as the economy and and the team improve even that will start to change as corporations will once again desire the cache of Rangers Tickets as perks for clients and star employees.

Playoff tickets are the reason for maintaining a season subscription. Watch what happens to that stubhub option if we make it to the 2nd round.....
You aren't upset because your seats are only going up $4 next season. I'll just wait and see how you feel about things a year from now when your $63 seats get jacked up to $80. For $200/pair (with a couple drinks and a burger) to sit in the upper level I don't really see that much value. Certainly not enough that I would go to anything close to 40 games a year. I'll probably be keeping mine too...but beyond a half dozen games or so I'll be watching from home. For the price of a few pairs you can build yourself a home theater with a 100+" screen that will give you a better view than you'll have at the Garden.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

What's the seat color suppose to be?

Old
03-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You aren't upset because your seats are only going up $4 next season. I'll just wait and see how you feel about things a year from now when your $63 seats get jacked up to $80. For $200/pair (with a couple drinks and a burger) to sit in the upper level I don't really see that much value. Certainly not enough that I would go to anything close to 40 games a year. I'll probably be keeping mine too...but beyond a half dozen games or so I'll be watching from home. For the price of a few pairs you can build yourself a home theater with a 100+" screen that will give you a better view than you'll have at the Garden.
True-dat.

I feel bascially the same way. I guess what I'm saying is that I feel there is still value in holding the season subscription. I used to go to 20+ games a season, but now it's more like 10-12.

Partnering with one or 2 people who will take a set number of games off your hands definitely helps. Then I sell a few, give some to clients and donate some to the local youth hockey club for auctions and I rarely get "stuck" with tix I cant use.

But yes, it is a VERY expensive proposition. Was much easier to take when I was making money a few years ago!

Old
03-28-2011, 11:58 AM
savebyrichter35

I'm pretty sure I've read this entire thread and don't recall seeing an answer to this. Does anyone know what the new capacity will be once the renovations are complete? I'm assuming it's not staying at 18,200.

Old
03-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

It really is at the point where playoff tickets are the biggest reason to keep the subscription.....it is literally impossible to find a ticket within 40 bucks of face value for the playoffs, unless your a season ticket holder.

As for the renovations, Im in for changing those narrow hallways, and maybe a few more bathrooms. But we dont need those fancy meat carving places and other upscale foods. Keep the same stuff we have now, just more space to walk please. As for the seats, my seat literally broke while sitting in it this year, and im not a big guy, so sure change em up, i wish they could be blue and red like boston/pitt have yellow, but the dumb freekin knicks play there too.

As for the prices, how much more could they really take it, because its pretty close to rock bottom in my mind. The first 10 rows of the upper deck in yankee stadium is 45 a piece, I easily see them making the "upper bowl" first 10 rows 80 a piece, and working down from there. We all say that when its all empty, they will lower them back down, but in reality, THEY WONT. As long as the team is on the up, prices will definitely not go down, and they will find someone to fill the seats, Dolan doesnt care about the fans. If you read game recaps at msg every night, next to attendance it says 18,200...and I can guarantee you its not 18,200 every home game. Its definitely picked up the last month (sens game was packed), but its going to be really really rough for all of us. God help us

Old
03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
I'm pretty sure I've read this entire thread and don't recall seeing an answer to this. Does anyone know what the new capacity will be once the renovations are complete? I'm assuming it's not staying at 18,200.

Its staying at 18,200, but im assuming that number includes all the new luxury boxes. idk if that is 18,200 seats.

Old
03-28-2011, 01:19 PM
jasonponty

Does anyone have any photos or anything from the original MSG renovation that took place from 89-91?

Closed Thread