HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Try winning games and not the Conference

Old
03-28-2011, 09:12 AM
facts

vCash: 500
Try winning games and not the Conference

It seems like we are trying more to win the conference instead of games. I think our scoreboard watching is starting to catch up to us. Many of our last 4-6 games, we looked like we were just holding on, and lucky to get the point. Although 4 of them were shootouts (thank god they don't happen in the playoffs) we have looked unprepared. We have a huge game on tuesday and that should seal our fate, if we lose that one I don't see us winning the divison or the conference. What does everyone think? 2 months ago nobody could touch us 5 on 5 and now we are a 1 line team from game to game. Our PP is embarrassing, to the point where we should have left the goalie in last night in the final minute. Our PK looks reaaly tired and unable to make the basic clear. What is wrong here guys?

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Cartsiephan*

Play like you are paid, not how people adore you. Win the conference, that should be a goal, trying to win games???

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:54 AM
facts

I am saying that we are concentrating on the conference instead of the games, our focus doesn't seem to be one game at a time, we need to focus on those for the big picture to make sense.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:25 AM
buff

Only 1 lost in regulation in previous 10 games... Not bad at all... I'm joining Bill Meltzer opinion this morning. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...28-11/45/34784.

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:44 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I think it's more of a lack of an effort for the WHOLE game... They have talked about that for WEEKS now... I'm not sure they can flip a switch, I've never seen it done...

In the OTF article they talk of SEARCHING FOR O - play 60 mins and that will come.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

1) Win games
2) ???
3) Profit

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
I am saying that we are concentrating on the conference instead of the games, our focus doesn't seem to be one game at a time, we need to focus on those for the big picture to make sense.
This team should be focusing on the conference, like beating the Pens when it matters.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
Only 1 lost in regulation in previous 10 games... Not bad at all... I'm joining Bill Meltzer opinion this morning. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...28-11/45/34784.
Yup...

Quote:
There is no need to panic, but the Flyers had better rediscover their work ethic soon -- and not just for 20-30 minutes a game

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:29 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
I just don't get how these guys can look at teams like Pittsburgh without their stars, the Rangers, the Bolts, the Caps and not see what they are doing wrong compared to those teams. How they cannot say "Hey, we better pick up our play. Look and see that all the work we have done for most of the season is now going to crap."

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
One thing to point out, which I read on BroadStBull's Twitter, is last year's season ended with a very similar losing atmosphere where they backed into the playoffs pretty much. Not that it matters, but they can turn it around at game 83.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:51 PM
esuhock22

I hope the Flyers inconsistent play is just a serious case of being done with the regular season, despite being close to falling from 1st to 4th. They proved before they can turn on the switch rather quickly, but I would still like to see them do it to win the conference and continue that effort come playoffs.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
I hope the Flyers inconsistent play is just a serious case of being done with the regular season, despite being close to falling from 1st to 4th. They proved before they can turn on the switch rather quickly, but I would still like to see them do it to win the conference and continue that effort come playoffs.
I'm more concerned with the division at this point. If we fall to second I don't think it is that big of a deal because I don't think Washington will be making it to the ECF, but falling to fourth could have some more serious ramifications (obviously).

Old
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
this thread=FAIL

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
this thread=FAIL
OP clearly went full Holmgren here.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:45 PM
McNasty

So what your saying is they need to stop trying to win the conference (and therefore stop winning) so that they can focus on trying to win without winning the conference? Wow this place went to **** quickly.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
So what your saying is they need to stop trying to win the conference (and therefore stop winning) so that they can focus on trying to win without winning the conference? Wow this place went to **** quickly.
I suspect the OP is Howard Eskin.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I think what the OP is saying is that focus on one game at a time and win each game, don't just look at the big picture. I could be wrong though.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:03 PM
flyersfan018

Typical Philly fans. Always panicking for absolutely no reason.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I suspect the OP is Howard Eskin.....
I can't stand that a-hole.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think what the OP is saying is that focus on one game at a time and win each game, don't just look at the big picture. I could be wrong though.
Doesn't really make him right though. The two go hand in hand, it's a pretty dumb comment either way. Of course they want to win the conference, it's a pretty good goal to have. I doubt they go into any game thinking ehhh we can lose this one we're fine.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Well, seeing as how we came so close last season... anything but the cup will be a let down this season. So seeing bad flaws this late in the season is worrying.

But yea, we don't need to panic yet, I will wait to see how we actually perform in the playoffs.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Who is panicking? I expect this type of play an behavior from this crew now. It is great that this team was winning games early on in the season, but right now this team has been playing like crap for a couple months now. They play a good 1st period, let down the 2nd period, put forth a 10 minute effort in the 3rd and hope they have the lead.

To note, the last playoff bound team they beat in either regulation or in OT was Nashville on Feb 2nd.

Old
03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
If Jeff Carter would start scoring some big goals instead of just in blowouts we would be in much better shape.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:50 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Who is panicking? I expect this type of play an behavior from this crew now. It is great that this team was winning games early on in the season, but right now this team has been playing like crap for a couple months now. They play a good 1st period, let down the 2nd period, put forth a 10 minute effort in the 3rd and hope they have the lead.

To note, the last playoff bound team they beat in either regulation or in OT was Nashville on Feb 2nd.
So what? That's all part of being 1st in the conference. It's not like they lost 10 straight like a couple of years ago. They aren't getting blown out every game.

This team has proven that they seem to turn it up in the playoffs. I could care less if they haven't been playing a complete game in a little while. Sure they shouldn't be complacent, but they've done a pretty good job of keeping 1st place if they've been "playing like a crap for a couple of months now." If they don't show up in games 1 or 2, then I'll worry.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:08 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
They win tomorrow, and the division is over. If they lose tomorrow, then they have a tough race. So far, even in this awful stretch, when there was a game they HAD to win, they did.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote