HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers agree to terms with Dylan McIlrath

Old
03-25-2011, 03:56 PM
pwoz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Regarding Sangs: In the main, the Rangers have showed patience with their prospects. There was something w/Sangs that they did not like. I've never heard a reliable explanation as to why they gave up on him.

There is little reason to be concerned about the Rangers rushing a prospect: Cally, Dubi, Arty, Girardi, and Sauer, all spent significant time there. McD seems to have benefited from a some what shorter stay. Stepan and Zuuc have been hot and cold, but defensively they have not been a liability.

The only regrets I have development wise are Korpikowski and Montoya. But players get it and blossom at different times.

You can't win them all, but the Rangers are showing a far better record in developing prospects than just a few years ago.

I am very confident that they will bring McIlrath along in a way that helps his development.
I'm pretty sure it's because Del Zotto surpassed Sangs in camp and there was only room for one of them... no clue what the heck happened to DZ this year... I know he's still very young, but it's scary.

pwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:44 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I wonder how good Moose Jaw is supposed to be next year. If they're going to be not great again I would think that McIlrath might not develop as he could on a better team.
They are a fine team this year....a playoff team....that could upset Kootenay in round 1....

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If Cam Fowler can play in the NHL with his horrid defensive play, McIlrath can play in the NHL at 19. Its just a matter of if the Rangers choose to let him go through the growing pains there or take the conservative approach.
Except Fowler will score more points in his rookie year than McIlrath will score in a career year, and that's being generous to McIlrath.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:18 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Except Fowler will score more points in his rookie year than McIlrath will score in a career year, and that's being generous to McIlrath.
And if a defenseman's career was based entirely on his offensive production one could conclude that Fowler was the better player. What was your point again?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:51 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
And?

It's defenseman. I'd rather have a 20-30 point shutdown defenseman than a 50 point defensive liability.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:56 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
And?

It's defenseman. I'd rather have a 20-30 point shutdown defenseman than a 50 point defensive liability.
so you're saying del zotto is toast.

i think there's room for both actually. nothing wrong with having a guy like cam fowler manning the point on your pp.

problem is, you gotta be able to read and react to plays and defend against nhl talent to be an nhl shut down guy. thats what mcilrath will need to be able to do.

time will tell.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:03 AM
eco's bones

I don't doubt that McIlrath has an NHL future. At this point in time he projects to be a meaner, tougher Komisarek. I don't consider Komisarek to be a shut down guy even though he's mainly a defensive player. The Rangers can really use a guy on the blueline who can inspire some fear in opposition forwards--just not sure that McIlrath is going to be a dominating defensive presence. He has some work to do.

As for Fowler--in a sense I think so what. It's over anyway. He's a Duck. Great offensive skills--weak in his own end and not physical. How much he'll improve in these areas is open to debate as well. I'm not convinced that in the long run he's going to be a better player than McIlrath. As for now I'd take the Rangers D easily over the Ducks D and if Fowler had been taken by the Rangers he'd have played this season in Windsor.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If the Rangers drafted Fowler, it would have been the second coming of Tom Poti. Just saying...

At least MDZ plays a physical game. If he can get his groove back, people will hope right back on board the MDZ bandwagon.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I'm pretty sure it's because Del Zotto surpassed Sangs in camp and there was only room for one of them... no clue what the heck happened to DZ this year... I know he's still very young, but it's scary.
Then why was Gilroy signed??? Sanguinetti could have made re team if Gilroy wasn't signed..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Sanguinetti is worse than Gilroy. Maybe a little more offensive ability, slightly better skater, but he makes Gilroy look like a strong guy in his own end.

The development of Del Zotto is very important to this club, because we have no other PMD in the system, hell no one even close to resembling one except maybe McDonagh or Pashnin (who has been mediocre at best in the KHL)

Also, there is a lack of good PMDs in the draft this year. Neither Murphy nor Hamilton will fall to us.

If the Rangers felt Fowler was too soft, thats fine. If they felt they wanted the grit of McIlrath over the balance of Gormley, thats also fine with me.

03-28-2011, 12:29 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Sanguinetti is worse than Gilroy. Maybe a little more offensive ability, slightly better skater, but he makes Gilroy look like a strong guy in his own end.

The development of Del Zotto is very important to this club, because we have no other PMD in the system, hell no one even close to resembling one except maybe McDonagh or Pashnin (who has been mediocre at best in the KHL)

Also, there is a lack of good PMDs in the draft this year. Neither Murphy nor Hamilton will fall to us.

If the Rangers felt Fowler was too soft, thats fine. If they felt they wanted the grit of McIlrath over the balance of Gormley, thats also fine with me.
I would have been less surprised if we had taken Gormley over Fowler. I've only seen him a couple of times, but it looks to me like he is going to be a very good defenseman.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I would have been less surprised if we had taken Gormley over Fowler. I've only seen him a couple of times, but it looks to me like he is going to be a very good defenseman.
He gets ignored compared to Fowler, but he was another consensus top 5 pick who inexplicably fell.

Only knock I heard on his is that while he is good at everything, he doesn't dominate at any one aspect. Sounds a lot like Dan Girardi to me.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
He gets ignored compared to Fowler, but he was another consensus top 5 pick who inexplicably fell.

Only knock I heard on his is that while he is good at everything, he doesn't dominate at any one aspect. Sounds a lot like Dan Girardi to me.
Again, I've only seen him a handful of times, but I would agree with that assessment. I don't think he'll ever be a true elite PPQB, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him work the point opposite a more "pure" QB, or be the kind of defenseman who can be a top choice on the 2nd PP unit.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I believe the argument should be Tarasenko v. Mcilrath. Fowler is terrible in his own zone and will need time, just like Big Mac, to reach his potential. Keep in mind he's passing to a stacked (imo) forward group, so he's going to rack up points. Hell be a good offensive d-man, but I wouldn't have been jumping for joy if we drafted him. I like Big Mac's upside just as much, and if MDZ develops and gets his head on right again that has the potential to be a great pairing. Tarasenko is the one who's gonna be making me cringe if D-Mac doesn't become a good dman.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

He's a great skater and passer.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

I wouldn't say there's a lack of quality PMD's this year, just a lack of "top end" ones. Murphy and Hamilton are "the" guys in that category, but guys like Beaulieu, Bell, and Clendening aren't exactly slouches.

In fact, I think Bell and Clendening are seriously underrated. Bell is projected as a late 1st, Clendening as a early-to-mid 2nd, but IMO either player could justify a mid-1st selection.

Bell is a gritty, energetic RHD with a huge shot. Clendening is a cerebral PP QB who reminds me a lot of Kevin Shattenkirk. Either would be a quality pick.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

this years crop of pmd's is like a barren wasteland compared to 2012.

next years draft is just filthy with high end d talent.

and i will freak out if we draft another dman this year. i want a forward this year- preferably a skilled centerman like koko or zbad

next year is the year to go defense.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this years crop of pmd's is like a barren wasteland compared to 2012.

next years draft is just filthy with high end d talent.
True, but irrelevant when you're looking for the best player on the board, we need help in a lot more areas than puck movers on D.

The best PM's from that draft will be gone way before we draft, I like the prospects of a talented forward falling to us

By the way, Mcilrath had me praising him in his first playoff game just to turn in a lackluster performance in game 2 where he took 3 minor penalties before getting thrown out for charging.

His temper has been a problem all year, does he gets frustrated way too easily? Does he go too far with the open ice hits? Will that fly in this day and age? Maybe its just maturity, right?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
True, but irrelevant when you're looking for the best player on the board, we need help in a lot more areas than puck movers on D.

The best PM's from that draft will be gone way before we draft, I like the prospects of a talented forward falling to us

By the way, Mcilrath had me praising him in his first playoff game just to turn in a lackluster performance in game 2 where he took 3 minor penalties before getting thrown out for charging.

His temper has been a problem all year, does he gets frustrated way too easily? Does he go too far with the open ice hits? Will that fly in this day and age? Maybe its just maturity, right?
Well you have to hope as he gets older he learns when to take a "good" nasty penalty (roughing, etc) and not play reckless dangerous angry hockey (charging, boarding, etc.)

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Well you have to hope as he gets older he learns when to take a "good" nasty penalty (roughing, etc) and not play reckless dangerous angry hockey (charging, boarding, etc.)
His decision making is everything, cause physically he'll be a beast, its his processing the game I'm worried about. Right now he physically dominates that league routinely. But it also gets him in trouble. In the playoffs I expect him to be smarter and not let the emotions dictate his game, he has to be disciplined. Like I said, hopefully its a maturity issue.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
His decision making is everything, cause physically he'll be a beast, its his processing the game I'm worried about. Right now he physically dominates that league routinely. But it also gets him in trouble. In the playoffs I expect him to be smarter and not let the emotions dictate his game, he has to be disciplined. Like I said, hopefully its a maturity issue.
this is the key factor to his success, imo. its the single biggest thing that he needs to master. physically, hes a freak. his skating is more than adequate and in fact, quite good. his ability to overpower now is unquestioned. his body is a weapon but his mind, the way he thinks the game, is still inhibiting him from dominating at the junior level. and dont kid yourself, he needs to dominate now if he thinks hes going to make the jump soon.

its his ability or inability to transfer those physical attributes to the ice and process the game at high speed that will ultimately determine his level of success.

the day he begins to dominate both physically and mentally is the day that we have the player that gordie clark envisioned when he was chosen at 10.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Hopefully he learns how to strike that balance. Pro players won't hold back and have experience in getting younger guys to take penalties and get them off their game. DM is such a big guy he will be a target for sure.

For now, another year in the whl and hopefully he stays healthy and doesn't grow that awful mustache ever again

Old
03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Pizza

Quote:

He's 18. He'll mature.

By the time he makes it to the Rangers he'll have some pretty good examples to follow.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Pizza

Quote:
...the day he begins to dominate both physically and mentally is the day that we have the player that gordie clark envisioned when he was chosen at 10.
Agreed.

He'll have a lot of help there. I'm confident he'll manage.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:19 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
so you're saying del zotto is toast.
There's a pretty large difference between Del Zotto and Fowler.

That being Del Zotto willingly engages in physical contact, while Fowler tries to avoid it.

Quote:
the day he begins to dominate both physically and mentally is the day that we have the player that gordie clark envisioned when he was chosen at 10.
Excellent, excellent point. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote