HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The one and only Roman Hamrlik appreciation thread

Old
03-17-2011, 02:19 PM
MarkovsKnee

vCash: 500
It was a big contract at that time but it's never been an issue for us. Hamrlik stepped up and has been a legitimate #2 D for us over these 4 years. He also has been incredibly durable.

Also, since Hammer has joined the team, the Canadiens have made the playoffs every year. This year will be our 4th consecutive year in the play-offs. That hasn't happened since our big play-off run was stopped during the 1994-1995 season.

He's been solid. He's not getting a contract like that again but it was in no way shape or form a bad contract.

Whether we resign him or not, IDK. We need to get younger & faster on D that much is obvious.

Personally, like others have said, I'd rather keep Hammer and try to trade Spacek. Hammer brings so much more to the team than Spacek does.

Also Congratulations on playing your 1300 NHL game tonight Hammer! Let's hope it's a win!!!!

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Everyone agrees Hamrlik is the two-way, big bodied, experienced, top pairing defensemen who can step up in the playoffs that we've lacked in years. In other words, something very few teams have as a 2nd D, yet people are saying he's overpaid, at the same time that there's a thread calling for Wiz to get 4.5M . He is most definitely worth his contract.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Everyone agrees Hamrlik is the two-way, big bodied, experienced, top pairing defensemen who can step up in the playoffs that we've lacked in years. In other words, something very few teams have as a 2nd D, yet people are saying he's overpaid, at the same time that there's a thread calling for Wiz to get 4.5M . He is most definitely worth his contract.
A lot of people seem to forget that he was 2nd in assists and 5th in points last playoffs. And the only defensemen who logged more minutes than him were Subban(its crazy I know) and Gorges. He was also second, again to Subban, in plus minus among defensemen.

He had a rough few games in the Washington series, but the guy is our most reliable defensemen when thick comes to thin, yes, even more than Markov.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:50 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

Hamrlik plays like the 1st overall pick he was

I hope we re-sign him for a discount as a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
The Right Price

I sincerely hope Hamrlik will take a pay cut so he can be on this team next season

Congrats Roman, 1300 NHL games is amazing.

His contract has never been a problem.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Et le But

The unsung hero of the season.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Crystal Met

He played 29 minutes yesterday

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think the defense as a whole needs to get a bit younger and more mobile. I think Gill needs to go, as much as he is a leader in the room. I think if Spacek can be moved I would like Hamrlik signed for 3-3.5 for a year and Wiz extended 2-3 years at 3-3.5 if possible. Gorges Weber Subban and hopefully Markov(1 year at sub 5 if possible) plus probably a 2-3 mil guy that would be a #5 but could jump into the top 4 if Markov has more issues....Sopel
This.

Is is exactly what I hope for.

My opinion is : before going the UFA route, watch you've got in your backyard.

With 11 NHL defensemen, including 9 FA, Gauthier has to try to put 5 or 6 of them under contract before July 1st.

Regarding the RFAs, Weber is a no-brainer, and I don't think it will be too hard to keep Gorges. Hopefully, he'll be fine with his knee, too. Finally, I'd let Picard go. With Weber looking more and more like an NHL defenseman, he's lost his #7 spot. And he deserves to see if there's room for him elsewhere in the NHL.

About the UFA's, my priority would obviously be Markov. Then I'd resign Hamrlik, one of Sopel or Gill (preferably Sopel), and Wiz. Let Gill (or Sopel) and Mara walk.

Finally, if Wiz is resigned, trade Spacek.

Overall, my D priority list would be :
1- Sign Markov. -> He likes it here, that shouldn't be an issue.
2- Sign Gorges. -> See Markov.
3- Sign Hamrlik. -> See Markov.
4- Try to sign Sopel. -> It remains to be seen where he wants to play and how much he wants.
5- If Sopel is signed, let Gill go. If not, sign Gill. -> See Markov.
6- Sign Weber. -> Qualifying offer or a bit more and a bit longer.
7- Try to sign Wiz. -> See Sopel.
8- July 1st : let Mara, Picard, and some of Gill, Sopel, Wiz go.
9- If you couldn't sign Wiz, try to sign an UFA to replace him.
10- If you signed Wiz or an UFA, trade Spacek.

I don't see the need to get "much younger" this summer. Replacing Gill and Spacek with Sopel and Wiz in our top 6 seems enough for me. Add Weber as a 7th instead of Picard, and I think there's still room for a guy like Hamrlik.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I say it now and I say it when he has a bad game....this guy has to stick around. Not Sopel, not Gill, but Hamrlik. He's having ups and downs when he's being used more than 25 minutes.....Can you imagine how valuable he will be when he's going to be used less than that? Obviously, the dollar figure is key, but we need to keep him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
SonOfA BaseballCoach

I was at the game vs Tampa in the Reds. Hammer played 29 minutes, and I can tell you from being there, it did not seem to even faze him. I think he is fairly under-rated by the fans solely due to the contract he has.

He has mentioned to the media he wants to resign here, and would take less money too. I for one would love to resign him, granted he asks for Gill-money, and not just 1 or 2 million less than he is currently making.

SonOfA BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:21 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I say it now and I say it when he has a bad game....this guy has to stick around. Not Sopel, not Gill, but Hamrlik. He's having ups and downs when he's being used more than 25 minutes.....Can you imagine how valuable he will be when he's going to be used less than that? Obviously, the dollar figure is key, but we need to keep him.
IMO Hamrlik is just a strong, hybrid type d-man who can be a lot more useful in all situations especially when a D is decimated like this one. And if the Habs plan on signing Markov again then I wouldn't mind at all if Hamrlik were around too. The poor guy would probably sign at a reasonable discount and end up playing close to 30 minutes again. He's just that useful with a lot of subtlety to his game. To stand the chance of Hamrlik being on a third pairing is a luxury you just can't walk away from especially with the injuries and younger d-men on the team. I'd love to see him paired with Yannick Weber next year.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:23 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Hamrlik was a titan yesterday. Very impressive that he could step up all year like he did! We're lucky to have him

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Just throwing it out there---nicest guy in the world.

Had a chance to speak with him Thursday, great, great guy.

Figured I'd share

LoneWolf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

If he could take a massive paycut I wouldn't mind re-signing him. Play him one game, then Spacek, alternate so they each get to play 41 games where they're both healthy and rested. If not he's too old to be playing 82 games a year without the quality of his play dipping massively by the end of the season.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
If he could take a massive paycut I wouldn't mind re-signing him. Play him one game, then Spacek, alternate so they each get to play 41 games where they're both healthy and rested. If not he's too old to be playing 82 games a year without the quality of his play dipping massively by the end of the season.
Hes not that old.

Recchis 43.

Old
03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
Hes not that old.

Recchis 43.
Recchi floats around the ice. He never has to one on one youngsters trying to get around him. Defense is a lot harder to do with age than any forward position. Hammer gets too slow by the end of the season and some rest days could really help that. Hamrlik is still a beast when he's on his game.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Tuggy

Hasn't looked very good lately. Season looks like it's taking it's toll on old Roman.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:43 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

I still love him, lol.

Then again, if he played for my team Id probably have the same complaints.

I was just saying, he's super nice. I saw the thread so I inserted the comment.

I was wearing a sweatshirt from czech republic and he started talking to me in Czech. Then we were both confused. I couldnt for the life of me figure out why he would assume I knew czech, and he was shocked to know I didn't, lol.

Still, great guy. Among others.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
coolasprICE

Too old, too slow, prefer Gill in general,even if Gill doesn't take a paycut and Hammer signs for less

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
I was wearing a sweatshirt from czech republic and he started talking to me in Czech. Then we were both confused. I couldnt for the life of me figure out why he would assume I knew czech, and he was shocked to know I didn't, lol.
Well, you were in North America wearing a sweatshirt from Czech . Just say "Ano" or "Yo" to everything next time .

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Too old, too slow, prefer Gill in general,even if Gill doesn't take a paycut and Hammer signs for less
I'd easily pick Hammer over Gill, but it obviously depends on a few things. Hamrlik is still very good when he's not overplayed.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Habs

overplayed, and overpaid. Could be a nice #6 , won't attract much attention outside of Montreal.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Hamr needs to ease up on the dump-ins, but he's a solid SOLID defenseman. He needs to play with a fast partner though. So if Wiz can up his acceleration a little. Sign em both for 4mil

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:55 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Thanks Hammer for circling the net and potting one. Hopefully the top forwards can follow your lead and put away Carolina tonight.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote