HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Okay, what just happened here?

Old
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Iplayhockehh

vCash: 500
Okay, what just happened here?

Im dealing with a lot of frustration hockey wise, and last night it was enough to keep me awake pondering. I practiced hard all summer, from June until December off the ice doing stick handling drills and when the season started I had the best hands on my team. But then, I became unmotivated and didn't practice for a couple of months. I still had hockey practice twice and two hockey games a week. Now heres the problem, over the past month my stick handling skills have completely deteriorated. I cant even properly dribble the puck as I will lose control of the puck, and when I do full extensions with the puck ill lose control as well. Lose control lose control, just saying it frustrates me. When im skating with the puck, i'll loose control. None of this would ever happen to me before this month. Here are the things I changed: I started using a different brand of tape(3m hockey tape) and also, I've grow a couple of inches and my stick comes up to chin on feet. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I can imagine growing a couple inches would throw everything out of whack. I'd put a plug in the stick to get back to the length you were comfortable with at the start of the year and see how that goes. But a lot of teens who have growth spurts need to adjust to those changes.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Iplayhockehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I can imagine growing a couple inches would throw everything out of whack. I'd put a plug in the stick to get back to the length you were comfortable with at the start of the year and see how that goes. But a lot of teens who have growth spurts need to adjust to those changes.
Thing is, I practiced with a short stick in the summer and that was okay, and when I changed to my newly bought stick on the ice I made the switch in about 5 minutes.
Im wondering if its the 3m hockey stick tape that I bought. Looking around people are giving that a bad review.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplayhockehh View Post
Thing is, I practiced with a short stick in the summer and that was okay, and when I changed to my newly bought stick on the ice I made the switch in about 5 minutes.
Im wondering if its the 3m hockey stick tape that I bought. Looking around people are giving that a bad review.
Coach used to say "Blame the stick if it has a hole in it, otherwise, it's the a-hole using it" Lol

Not trying to be mean or anything, but I'd ditch the 3M tape (for psych reasons) and get back to practicing like you were when things were going good. Growing a few inches is no doubt a big part of it too.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:38 PM
rinkrat22

It was more than likely the growth spurt, combined with the lack of off ice practice. you lost a little from not practicing every day, but the growth spurt probably has more to do with your problem than anything.(especially if it was in a short time frame) for now just get back to working hard, and just simplify your game. instead of trying to dangle a guy chip it by and use some speed. off the rush carry the puck wide and create some space and look for those guys crashing the net or coming in late in high support. everyone struggles with the growing, doesn't matter the sport. trust me it'll get better.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another thing came to mind. I used to take drum lessons as a teenager. I was really talented and it came naturally, but the more I progressed, the slower those progressions came, because I was lazy and never practiced. My teacher used to tell me the better you get at something, the harder you have to work to stay at that level, let alone improve.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Iplayhockehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Another thing came to mind. I used to take drum lessons as a teenager. I was really talented and it came naturally, but the more I progressed, the slower those progressions came, because I was lazy and never practiced. My teacher used to tell me the better you get at something, the harder you have to work to stay at that level, let alone improve.
Thanks for the help man. Just wondering if I will learn my skills faster this time? I heard that it is easier to learn something the second time around.

Old
03-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Kulluminati

I know what you mean, I had been playing organized hockey since i was 6 and was jumping a skill level a year and was playing AA when i was about 15 and I began working out in high school (was never the biggest guy, relied heavily on skill and speed) and soon after I started to put on mass and one game I broke my stick.. from that day on I was never the same imo. Felt as though in my mind I knew what I was gonna do but my body or hands or what ever just couldn't pull through and I would just lose the puck. I blamed everything ranging from my new sticks to "rapid muscle growth leading to a loss of coordination" (LOL). I played another year with these "struggles" and whether there was a physical problem or mental my stats dropped from 35GP- 25G 45PTS to about 30 PTS in the same amount of games played. That summer the following summer i stopped working out, started playing ball hockey only for the 3 months or so then jumped on the ice in september (coach figured i was just slumping and didn't make me try out) I don't know what happened but I think i rediscovered my skill or something LOL... ok i realize this has become a wall of text SO i would advise when your off season comes around stay off the ice, get used to your new height and just practice in your garage or something... and you hockey brain will click and you will become as good if not better than you were before.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 06:21 PM
blueberrydanish

I use to devote my time to just working on all my aspects of skating out, now I spend most of my ice time in my goalie gear. Ever since then I lost some of my skill level offensively as a skater since I almost never practice it.

It could be a combination of changes and also just not practicing as much as you use to on those specific skill sets. That and also throw into the mix you could just be "off" which is very possible.

I wouldnt worry about it too much just keep working on whatever you need to improve on and work through it.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote