HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is This Just a Streak? Or Are These the NEW New York Rangers?

Old
03-28-2011, 03:48 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Is This Just a Streak? Or Are These the NEW New York Rangers?

So overall we're having an exceptional month. Everyone seems to be contributing. I chalk this up to not turning our roster over so much anymore, so players learn each others styles which leads to better play. Sometime this takes a while, but we seem to finally be clicking.

Of course this could just be a hot streak, but I really feel that the entire level of play of this team has been raised for good as long as we "stay the course". Your thoughts?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:52 PM
RangerFan23

vCash: 500
A team is never as bad as they look at their worst, nor as good as they look at their best.

Last edited by RangerFan23: 03-28-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Typo
RangerFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
These are the same NY Rangers that we've seen have an abysmal February, except Henrik has stepped up his play. Still, with a few bounces this way or that we could have had a close to .500 run over the past few weeks, just as the February losing streak could have been a winning streak if the bounces went our way. It all evens out at the end.

If it seems that I'm putting the team down, I'm not. On the contrary, I'm applauding the consistency of their play throughout the season. I'm also telling the bi-polar fans on this board to a) quit planning the parade everytime we string a few wins together, b) quit slashing your wrists everytime we stumble into a losing streak.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:02 PM
ruckus*

The question doesn't even make sense. Look at a team like the Flyers who made the Cup last year and are 1st in the East almost all season. They've played like crap lately. Is that the new Flyers?

Hockey is like baseball. The season is long and grueling and there's always going to be streaks.

You just how you stop the losing ones and keep the winning ones going as long as you can.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

This is just a streak.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

In response to the OP, I'm not so sure... the last few games this team has reverted back to their offensive struggles. Boston I can understand because they're a good team, but scoring only one goal against Florida and Ottawa? The two worst teams in the conference? That got me a little worried.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Sticky Fingers

This is the new New York Rangers, meaning a team built by young home grown players that will get better by every game. For the first time this season the startup lines including all the best players (you could possibly argue that Drury should be in there and of course Frolov, but since he's out for the season I don't count him in). Injuries have been a major factor this season, but now finally everyones healthy and what we see is what we are. A team that should be in the playoff with a descent chance to make some noise but not a true contender unless miracles happens.

I really like what I see and if our young core continue to develop along with some good UFA-signings I can see us being a true contender next season.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Stepanformayor*

I have been saying for the last 2 months, that if this team does make it into the playoffs that they could make some waves. They have a great goalie, d-man are playing great and the forwards are all buying into taking care of there own end and blocking shots. I really do believe that these young guys are the new Rangers.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
It's a streak, but it's great. They're playing playoff-style hockey to close out the regular season, and hopefully they'll keep it going into the playoffs themselves.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Hard to say. We've seen streaks of excellent play and awful play. I think what we're seeing is the team performing at close to maximum capacity. Will they be a team that consistently plays at a high level? We'll see.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:45 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Eh, as pumped as I am that we're like 8-1-1 in our last 10 and that we're looking very sharp defensively, and Henrik is in beast mode, we also only scored 3 goals total in our last 3 games and could easily be on a 0-3 slide if not for Henrik/good defense. I know Henrik and the good defense are a part of the team, so I'm not being a debbie downer and I am feeling really good as a fan right now, but I'm just trying to maintain a level perspective.

We've got a hard working young team with a great identity when we're on. We will only improve over the next couple of years as dead weight is cut, young players improve, and hopefully key/opportune acquisitions are made. Guys like Thomas, Hagelin, Kreider, Werek and McIlrath making transitions into the NHL in the next few years should be helpful as well. I'm happy with the team. I just also realize that, in the middle of a TIGHT playoff race, we just got 5 out of 6 points while only scoring one goal per game. That's a lot of luck and Henrik saving our bacon right there (and yes, good defense). I'm cautiously optimistic and plenty pleased, but I'm not about to start getting overly confident.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

We're playing right now in a way that, when our offense can't win games our goaltending and defense does, and vice versa.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
This all seemed to start once Gabby got his legs back.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont think this team has played any different these past 10 games than they did the previous 10.

difference to me? luck

pucks that were bouncing in off of our own legs, butts, faces, hands, etc are going wide. pucks thrown at the net by us are finding their ways in.

we've been a RIDICULOUSLY unlucky team this year. if you look at our goal differential, and road play, youd think this was a top 5 or 6 team in the NHL.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I like our chances in the East.

I've seen teams in the past overcome injuries and adversity and knock off teams who were tops of the league in the playoffs. Teams that coast into a spot are ripe for upset. 86 Rangers, led by a few young guys, vets upped their game plus a hot goalie made it to conference finals, who knows right?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I like our chances in the East.

I've seen teams in the past overcome injuries and adversity and knock off teams who were tops of the league in the playoffs. Teams that coast into a spot are ripe for upset. 86 Rangers, led by a few young guys, vets upped their game plus a hot goalie made it to conference finals, who knows right?
we're due some good luck, maybe itll come at the right time. though i have my doubts...this team is just so damn young.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
we're due some good luck, maybe itll come at the right time. though i have my doubts...this team is just so damn young.
Ridley, Miller, Vanbies, Patrick, Ruotsalainen, Brooke, Osborne, Sundstrom, Erixon -all important players under 25 in 86.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I think that this team is better than its record, for a while they were losing a lot of games that they shouldn't have been.

I do not think they are as good as they have been obviously, but they are a very good team.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 06:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

They have played the same way the entire season.

When they were losing they were playing the same way.

Sometimes you get the bounces, sometimes they go against you. IE: puck going off our own guys and in our own net repeatedly.

They're disciplined, hard working, and young.

There's more talent in the pipe on the way up.

This is going to be a very good team.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
NY Ranger86

Frolov is right where he should be.

Not playing.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:13 PM
HockeyBurd*

Instead of dwelling in there results, focusing on their actual play tells the far more accurate story. They have been consistent all season. This is the same team that was struggling to score. Some minor differences here and there. Some confidence. Some luck mixed in. Those always cause these dramatic swings for all teams. In general things average out. In the first half of the season, they were consistent and so were there results. No major streaks. The last half has seen a big losing streak and now a nice winning streak. That's just hockey.

The answer is, this IS the Rangers. Just like the ones that were losing were also the Rangers. The current scoring is over inflated and their complete inability to score when losing was also a touch misleading. Hopefully they keep this streak going into the playoffs and can enter the race feeling confident and with swagger. That's when they can play above their heads. If they can do that in coordination with their work ethic, they can make some noise.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
ruckus*

I really don't understand the people who make the young comments.

If our youth were guys who played like rookies, I'd understand.

I get that the playoffs are different, but our rookies do not play like rookies. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't watching.

If they played like rookies even a quarter of the time, we probably wouldn't be in a playoff spot.

Stepan, Sauer, McDonagh have been absolute studs.

And while I believe that Biron taking work away from Hank is beneficial now, I also believe that a big reason Hank struggled was not playing consistently.

Him playing the way he is now just further proves that to me. The guy thrives with a heavy workload.

Also..even though he doesn't provide much other than what we expected when we acquired him, McCabe helping the power play has been huge.

I have said since the lockout that the different between bad, average, and good, is always special teams.

McCabe has helped us tremendously.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Hopefully peaking at the right time, this is a probably a streak tho. Weveseen the worst of the worst this year and this is by far the best of the best but it just proves what this team is capable of when firing on all cylinders.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I guess the answer to your question is "both."

We have been up and down this year, and just recently starting to experience extended streaks-the good and the bad- rather than the 2-3 game spazzes that we had earlier.

03-28-2011, 08:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

People like to say that stuff balances out, and when we went through our bad streak the debbie downers were saying how it was balancing out our great earlier play (I probably said it too, though. )

Well this recent stretch is balancing out the losing streak, because we're a good team.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote