HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting Fan's Guide to Nashville & other local areas & Parking Updates

Old
02-07-2011, 11:17 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
OT: Heading to Nashville...

Hey guys! Just wanted to tell you guys I'm heading back to Nashville for some relaxin times. I think the last time I was there was in 2004 So excited to see the city again. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Sorry didn't see this here :p

Last edited by thestonedkoala: 02-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.
thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:13 PM
mncdn

Visiting Nashville

Any help is appreciated.

My friends and I have decided to travel to one new Arena each year to watch an NHL game. Nashville in on our list for this year. We will be attending the game against detroit on the 2nd.

Anyways, We have no idea what hotel to stay at or location of where our hotel should be. We thought that staying close to the airport might work since we need to fly out early on Monday but we worry that we will have to take a cab everywhere we go. Maybe it would be better to rent a car.

Any help is appreciated. Where should we stay. We will be there for the weekend.

Also aside from the game what should we do? Any other sports around town that weekend?

Thanks for the help.

mncdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:24 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Please check with the visiting fan's sticky at the top of the topics.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Firestorm

Just a question, why does Nashville have a copy of the Parthenon?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Supposedly, Nashville is the "Athens of the South" and so someone decided to build one. It's kinda cool to check out when you're on a 4th grade field trip but after that...meh.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:48 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

From what I was told Nashville is seen as the Athens of the south is because of the number of colleges in the area.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
The posts above are correct. Nashville has/had a large number of higher education facilities and was also the first Southern city to operate its own public school system by the time the Parthenon was built in 1897. The nickname "Athens of the South" influenced the decision to build the Parthenon as part of Tennessee's Centennial celebration.

My father tells me his favorite memory of the Parthenon was the old Harvey Nativity scene that was placed in front of it during Christmas time during the '50s and '60s. Of course that went away a long time ago and most people not forced to go into the Parthenon as part of a field trip typically forget it's even here. But I'm a history nut and love it.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

The Parthenon was one of a number of replicas of famous buildings that were constructed of plaster for the Centennial Exposition in 1897. The Parthenon is the only remaining construction, and only because it was rebuilt in the 1920's. The city wanted to tear it down, but Nashvillians wanted to keep it due to the "Athens of the South" tie-in. So it was rebuilt from steel and concrete as a full scale replica.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:10 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

I'm trying to buy tickets for game 6 and I have a couple of questions...

In the lower bowl, is row A the first row? Or do they start with double letters of something.

Is it better to buy tickets online tonight or do you think I can get similar prices from scalpers at the game?

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:14 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
I'm trying to buy tickets for game 6 and I have a couple of questions...

In the lower bowl, is row A the first row? Or do they start with double letters of something.

Is it better to buy tickets online tonight or do you think I can get similar prices from scalpers at the game?
Row A is the first permanent row of seats. AA, BB, CC and so on for the first rows. Where the double letters start and end all depends on the part of the rink you're on.

you probably want to buy now unless you'd prepared to wait for the game to start and the scalpers to drop prices.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:24 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Row A is the first permanent row of seats. AA, BB, CC and so on for the first rows. Where the double letters start and end all depends on the part of the rink you're on.

you probably want to buy now unless you'd prepared to wait for the game to start and the scalpers to drop prices.
Ok cool. I guessed that A wasn't the first row when I saw the price of the tickets.

Don't worry though, I'm not one of those obnoxious opposing fans that tries to start arguments or anything, regardless of how it seems on HF.

Is there a signature bar or anything where most people go to before the game?

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:00 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
Ok cool. I guessed that A wasn't the first row when I saw the price of the tickets.

Don't worry though, I'm not one of those obnoxious opposing fans that tries to start arguments or anything, regardless of how it seems on HF.

Is there a signature bar or anything where most people go to before the game?
There are so many right by the Bridgestone just take your pick.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Neester

Hey guys,

Canucks fan flying out to see games 3 and 4. Obviously my first priority is seeing Carrie, but I'm willing to settle. Would love some advice on things to do while I'm there.

I'm staying about a mile away from the stadium and will be there all day Monday to Friday evening. Only real commitments I have are the two games. Other than that, I'm all ears. I'm on a tight budget but I'd love to get to some free/cheap concerts if any happen during the week. Also, a tour of the city/main spots to see might be helpful - thoughts?

The place I'm staying at recommended the following things:
a) Take in live country music at Honky Tonk Bars along the Broadway (Tootsie, Roberts, Etc. free admission, bands play for tips)
d) Country Music Hall of Fame $18 admission (also recommend taking Studio B tour additional $13 admission)
e) Ryman Auditorium known as mother church of country music
f) The State Capital Building and food arcade blocks from Painter's Alley
g) The Tennessee State Museum (free)
h) Check out Bi-Centennial Capital Mall State Park War Memorials
i) Experience Meat-N-3 Southern dinning (Arnolds, Copper Kettle, etc. about $7)
a) The Centennial Park (Shakeshere-in-the-Park on Wed nights)
b) The Parthenon and Botonical garden in the Centennial Park
c) Check out Open Mic performances of "want to make it in Nashville singers-N-song writers" (Bluebird, French Quarter, Douglas Corner, CoCos).

And finally, any pre-and post-game activities that I should experience.

Thanks in advance for your help! Here's to two super exciting games in Nashville!

Neester.

Neester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neester View Post

a) Take in live country music at Honky Tonk Bars along the Broadway (Tootsie, Roberts, Etc. free admission, bands play for tips)
d) Country Music Hall of Fame $18 admission (also recommend taking Studio B tour additional $13 admission)
c) Check out Open Mic performances of "want to make it in Nashville singers-N-song writers" (Bluebird, French Quarter, Douglas Corner, CoCos).
Bolded are things I consider must-sees. I would add the Loveless Cafe to the must-see restaurants for sure. Union Station is a great landmark to check out downtown (free admission obviously). Centennial Sportsplex (just a few blocks from the arena, straight across from Centennial) is our practice facility, but unless you wanna catch some youth hockey there isn't much to see there.

As far as post-game/late night stuff, the Wildhorse Saloon is a solid bet.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Neester

Thanks gopreds9!

Old
04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neester View Post
Hey guys,

Canucks fan flying out to see games 3 and 4. Obviously my first priority is seeing Carrie, but I'm willing to settle. Would love some advice on things to do while I'm there.

I'm staying about a mile away from the stadium and will be there all day Monday to Friday evening. Only real commitments I have are the two games. Other than that, I'm all ears. I'm on a tight budget but I'd love to get to some free/cheap concerts if any happen during the week. Also, a tour of the city/main spots to see might be helpful - thoughts?

And finally, any pre-and post-game activities that I should experience.

Thanks in advance for your help! Here's to two super exciting games in Nashville!

Neester.
Anywhere on broadway is good. I would definitely suggest the bluebird cafe, different atmosphere check the calendar on their website. Do you have tickets to the game yet? I have 4 lowers.....

randymc2641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Neester

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
Anywhere on broadway is good. I would definitely suggest the bluebird cafe, different atmosphere check the calendar on their website. Do you have tickets to the game yet? I have 4 lowers.....
Thanks. Yeah, I've got tickets in the upper bowl.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:53 AM
committedindian86
Teuvo Time

For the Canucks fans going to the game... Nashville is a great time. I've been to Bridgestone for a few Hawks - Preds games and always had a great time (regardless of the result). Just don't be an *******. We were at Game 6 last year and we had a few obnoxious Hawks fans by us that embarrassed the Hell out of me.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:55 AM
committedindian86
Teuvo Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Bolded are things I consider must-sees. I would add the Loveless Cafe to the must-see restaurants for sure. Union Station is a great landmark to check out downtown (free admission obviously). Centennial Sportsplex (just a few blocks from the arena, straight across from Centennial) is our practice facility, but unless you wanna catch some youth hockey there isn't much to see there.

As far as post-game/late night stuff, the Wildhorse Saloon is a solid bet.
Wildhorse is amazing

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:19 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Really great to hear that fans are coming from BC for the games here. I think you will find out why so many people consider us a great "destination" city for visiting players and fans.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
frankielax

Sooo i'm not sure if i should put this here since its for visitors, but i'll give it a shot anyways since its along those lines. I am considering moving to Nashville from STL. No major reasoning behind it other than I just need a change of scenery and I've heard a lot of good things about your city. So my main question would be just is it a good place for a single, 26 year old guy to live?

I'm assuming there is no reason why it wouldn't be, but i figure i'd check in with the locals to get an idea of things. I am not familiar with the area(s) in or around the city so i don't really know what to look for or where to look for apartments and I basically just wanna be somewhere that is a cool place to be. Anyways, I really appreciate your help and advice on the subject. I've been in STL my whole life and I'm ready to change things up and Nashville seems like a pretty great place. Hopefully i'll be able to repay you all with a beer or two at a Blues/Preds game in the near future.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
codeyh

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Avoid Antioch at all costs.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

If you have the money, Green Hills to the Vanderbilt area would be a good place for a single guy. You want to stay away from the "Nations" area and Antioch is hit or miss but mostly miss. Donelson and Hermitage have some affordability and nice places but they're certainly not hip nor cool. Same with Madison and Inglewood. There are some condo buildings in the downtown and SoBro (south Broad) area that might work for you (depending on your finances, of course). One, the Encore, is very close to the arena and looks nice from the lobby, but I've never seen the condos. There is another in what's called The Gulch, that might also appeal to you. The Gulch has a lot of shops and restaurants and might also be just the ticket for a single.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 04:17 PM
frankielax

Thanks you. Very very helpful.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:58 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote: