Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Could An ECHL Team Beat An AHL Team?

Old
03-22-2011, 07:39 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Could An ECHL Team Beat An AHL Team?

I'm sorry if this discussion has been had before on this board, but no way was I gunna look through every page, so i'm sorry if I might be beating a dead horse here.

Am I the only one out there who thinks the gap between the 2 leagues has really closed from what it once was? You see guys who are one year in the AHL suddenly ed up in the ECHL sometimes. You have guys who get called up to AHL teams and sometimes make impressions. I think the biggest problem for an ECHLer is the same for any guy joining a league above his....the speed of the game is slightly faster but the fact that instead of being a 1st or 2nd liner and getting their usual ice time they play far less, thus sometimes having a hard time being able to make an impression. Personally I feel given the right matchup it's certainly possible.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Steelhead16

1 game: yes
3 game series: probably
7 game series: no

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:07 PM
CrazyEddie20

Back in the 2004-05 preaseason, the Philadelphia Phantoms played a preseason game against their ECHL affiliate, the Trenton Titans. The final was 4-0. Both teams were playing their nearly final rosters, and to be honest, it looked like men against boys. It might be a little closer now, but not by much. The average player in the AHL is WAY better than the average ECHL player. The gap in talent from the top of the AHL to the top of the ECHL is significantly wider than between the AHL and NHL.

It might happen that the AHL club would win 9-of-10, as in Herb Brooks' pregame speech. The right team could do it, but it's just not likely.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Yeah they could beat a lower end AHL team.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:48 PM
SuburbanArgyle

No chance. ECHL players are generally very small compared to the next level. They would get completely outmuscled, for starters.

SuburbanArgyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:15 PM
adsfan

[QUOTE=CrazyEddie20;31843743]Back in the 2004-05 preaseason, the Philadelphia Phantoms played a preseason game against their ECHL affiliate, the Trenton Titans. The final was 4-0. Both teams were playing their nearly final rosters, and to be honest, it looked like men against boys. It might be a little closer now, but not by much. The average player in the AHL is WAY better than the average ECHL player. The gap in talent from the top of the AHL to the top of the ECHL is significantly wider than between the AHL and NHL.

It might happen that the AHL club would win 9-of-10, as in Herb Brooks' pregame speech. The right team could do it, but it's just not likely.[/QUOTE]
I agree. Some ECHL guys fit in the AHL. Other guys just can't play in the A ever.

Can the best ECHL team beat an AHL team? Yes. Could an AHL team beat an ECHL all-star team? Probably, especially if they are a playoff team. The non-qualifiers might be in trouble.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
sctvman

With the way how, especially with organizations like the Capitals, ECHL teams might be able to compete.

Most of the players on the Stingrays jump between Hershey and South Carolina during the season. There is almost never a time where there's fewer than 2 or 3 original ECHL players called up to the AHL.

I'd give it about a 20% chance.

sctvman is offline   Reply With Quote