HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei Kostitsyn

Old
03-28-2011, 09:30 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
And I'm sure you'll be there to try to instigate an argument when people have different opinions.
I'm sure.

I'll probably even say something like "he likes weird stuff in bed" no wait, that's not an arguement I would use, who would use that???????

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:43 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm sure.

I'll probably even say something like "he likes weird stuff in bed" no wait, that's not an arguement I would use, who would use that???????
If you want to go back to actual words said on this board: "I wouldn't trade Legwand for Zetterberg"-- Triggrman

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:50 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow did I really say that? I have to look for that one.

Old
03-28-2011, 09:56 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Wow did I really say that? I have to look for that one.
I will find it for you if you really want me to.

Here you go: 5-11-2004
"I don't think Zetterberg is better than Legwand and you're not going to convince me that he is so don't try"

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:57 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Hahaha I did say that. In fairness though, it was in 2004 after Zetterberg's 2nd season in the NHL, both of those seasons he barely broke 40 points. I did find the quote.

Old
03-28-2011, 10:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

What's really funny Dulz (and you know I love giving you crap about it) is your messages today on Legwand read a lot like you early messages on Legwand..

You've never liked the guy. You've also never been a big Poile guy. So you've stayed consistant.

My views on Legwand have changed. I think he has all world talent just lacks the drive for whatever reason.

Old
03-28-2011, 10:21 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

You both crack me up. Remember, this is an SK thread, take your love/hate and indifference to another thread please.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:12 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
You both crack me up. Remember, this is an SK thread, take your love/hate and indifference to another thread please.
This.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:34 AM
OpenWheel

Well, in a recent post I said 1.1 to Tootoo's 1.25 but surely less than Ward's 1.5. I was worried about consistency from a guy who the coach very early in the season had to sit down and discuss his effort. And as an RFA though I felt Kostitsyn was fairly limited in options. I also forgot about arbitration. But clearly I was too low. Ward has played decently down the stretch, but I'd much rather lose him than Kostitsyn.

For his output something around 2 mil per sounds about right for a two or three year deal, as others have said. I'd rather pay a little more if needed to get the longer deal. His game doesn't strike me as the type where he'll be a big injury risk. Knock on wood.

I was thinking that the absolute maximum should be at what point the compensation equals his value, and really be below that as teams don't tend to throw offers sheets around. A 2nd round pick is for the range 1.5 to 3 mil roughly. I'd hate to lose him for a second round pick. But he won't get offer sheeted at three mil, which is where it goes up a lot to a 1st and a 3rd. So it seems to me they can stay down closer to the bottom of that range. Still, maybe 2 mil for him to be happy. If someone offer sheets higher, figuring he's worth more than a second, which he is, then Poile can decide.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-29-2011 at 02:40 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:44 AM
OpenWheel

OT but - Early in the season it seemed Kostitsyn didn't get all that fired up even when he scored a goal. Sort of the taciturn Russian (edit: Belarusan). Sure he celebrated and smiled a bit, but he didn't seem expressive. Lately he seems more fired up when he or his line scores. Don't know why I note it. But when I felt I saw a difference it seemed to me it meant he liked it here and his role on the team, plus seemed to have gained much more confidence in his stature within the team. I'm optimistic he's going to keep going well, and his line.

Old
03-29-2011, 03:02 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

As my current favorite Pred, I'm hoping for a 3 year deal around 2 per.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:12 AM
OpenWheel

I think if he finishes strong, and has a big playoffs, that will send his price up a lot. To the higher end of these guesses. But if he slows down the stretch and and does little in the playoffs, (which likely means we lose in round one) then we get him cheap. I sure hope he has such an explosive finish that we have to pay him...

Old
03-29-2011, 05:30 AM
TediT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I think if he finishes strong, and has a big playoffs, that will send his price up a lot. To the higher end of these guesses. But if he slows down the stretch and and does little in the playoffs, (which likely means we lose in round one) then we get him cheap. I sure hope he has such an explosive finish that we have to pay him...
AMEN to the explosive finish!!!

TediT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I think we as a fanbase are too quick to give the hook to ward. The guy is a good player, won't coast much. Hels set the tone with hard work. It is hard to put a price on intangibles, and if this is the guy that can help get legwand and erat to push 60 points, we are crazy not to give the guy a mil and a half.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

If Ward takes a pay cut I think he will be back.

As for SK, hey he got 40 pts, I'm happy, pay the man.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

If Sergei is locked up for 2-3 seasons, then 74 is definitely my next jersey.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If Sergei is locked up for 2-3 seasons, then 74 is definitely my next jersey.
same

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:15 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Love the optimism but no one in the history of our team who doesn't wear goalie pads has ever been a playoff machine. Newcomer or not.
I know what you mean, but I would like to throw Radulov's 3 goals and one assist in four play off games out there

Oh wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Ignoring the subtle insertion of Legwand into your list of examples, you're providing a bunch of guys that were journeymen, fringe NHLers that carved out a couple of decent seasons here because we had no one better. SK was a pretty highly regarded prospect at one time, and only really fell off because of supposed "issues" in Montreal. When given the opportunity, he was producing for the Habs. It's just that no one could figure out why he wasn't being given the opportunity more often.

Sergei is 23, and putting up a pretty great season in the first real opportunity he's been given. While I'm careful to temper my expectations a bit, and while i'm also not ready to hand out some monster contract, I'd be fine with 2 or 3 years at 2-2.5 million.
This. I don't see how anyone can look at that as an overpayment for a young guy who has scored at .5 PPG before and is on a .6 PPG pace right now (his other two seasons in Montreal were something like .4 PPG) I think it's safe to say that he'll put up somewhere close to .5 points per game... so if $2.5mil is an overpayment for half of a point per game, is $5mil an overpayment for a point per game guy? Is $4mil?

While scanning the thread my eye caught either a comment or a quote where someone mentioned they wouldn't give SK much more than Ward got when he scored his 18 (it was actually 17 but it doesn't matter) goals. That's a fine opinion, but I don't agree with it one bit. First of all, Ward only had 35 points in 79 games. SK is sitting at 43 points in 71 games. Assuming he doesn't score anymore points he still finishes with a higher PPG percentage than Ward. If that were the ONLY factor in signing a new deal with SK then I'd be ok with giving him slightly more than ward, but it isn't. SK has more potential than any forward we are icing on any given night. I know Geoffrion had his early hat trick, and I know Colin Wilson is the guy we all hope carries our team in the future, but right now SK is the guy most likely to explode into a great offensive zone guy. He reminds me a lot of Paul Kariya with his creativity and passing. SK isn't as fast, but he's more physical. Potential alone is going to earn him some money. I know saying this opens myself up for people to say "we paid for potential with Legwand/Erat/Hornqvist/Dumont/etc/etc/etc/blah/blah/blah". I'll avoid that debate, but I will say that when you are signing a 23 year old kid who has only been given a legitimate shot occasionally until this season you HAVE to go with potential. It's just the nature of the beast...

Anyway, the team can pay him $2.5 without breaking a sweat. I'd say anywhere in the $1.8-$2.5 area is acceptable. Again... if you wouldn't pay $2.5mil for a .5PPG guy you would have a very hard time keeping good players when contracts expire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
If Ward takes a pay cut I think he will be back.

As for SK, hey he got 40 pts, I'm happy, pay the man.
I like Ward, but I don't think he comes back. For all of the talk in the Fisher thread about him being 'more of the same', Joel Ward embodies that. If he takes a pay decrease then sure, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't sign him. He'll have a job somewhere else. Hell, he'll probably go to Phoenix and score a hatty

Last edited by TMI: 03-29-2011 at 10:22 AM.
TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:18 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Oh and I think volde asked about arbitration...

Players have to have four years of NHL experience, or they must have signed their first NHL contract after the age of 20. This is SK's fourth season, and he's never played fewer than 47 games. He's eligible unless I'm missing something

Old
03-29-2011, 10:47 AM
cocacola

guys... Sk has been one of your key players this year. Trotz even said that him and weber are the ones who work hard in practice and the other guys look up to him. Imagine if sergei never had a slow start? Sure the kids going to have a slow start after not playing for nearly a year... and siting on a bench watching the games cause the coach in Montreal hated him and never gave him a chance. Comes to Nashville no big brother,no friends, completely new atmosphere. Now imagine if he never hurt himself twice this season? The only time he was non consistent was at the beginning of the season, and not to long ago coming back from an injury. SK is probally the most talented guy you guys have acquired in years, besides weber.. and some of you are willing on letting him go? Come on.

If i was trotz i would singe this guy long term... You know how many other teams would love to have this kid? Especially now that marins true colors are coming out .

cocacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:58 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't think anyone is willing to let him walk, I just think some around here are wary of having another player that is "overpaid".

As for SK's slow start, wasn't he skating on a broken toe/foot at first? And on the fourth line? I know he was given a few games with decent minutes, but he was also given a TON of games where he played 11 minutes or less. Sometimes he didn't see more than 7 or 8 minutes. His improvement in scoring directly corresponds with his ice time becoming higher and more consistent, and it's pretty much instantaneous. He has had a couple of streaks of NO points, but what's new in Nashville? Something about Trotz's comments with regards to SK being a week away from being scratched or sent down never really sat well with me. He looked out of place for a while, but I don't know how fast a brand new, young player who knows he has to perform or might not get another NHL contract is supposed to create chemistry, gain confidence, and begin producing when it's more likely he'll play 8 minutes than it is he'll play 13 minutes. I'm of the opinion players have to earn their time, but I also think you have to give those players a starting foothold. If they can't find the next one it's on them. Luckily SK found the next one, and just began to take off

Old
03-29-2011, 10:58 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
counterpoint to all the enthusiasm is "Remember Arkhipov"

The CBA is set up to keep GMs from having to throw big money at young players without a longer track record.

It will be up to Poile and Kostitsyn to figure out if they can come up with multi-year numbers they can both live with.

If not, we will almost certainly see a one year deal, either by mutual agreement or via arbitration, and then SK can head into next year knowing if he backs up this year with another solid season, he's set for a big payday.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Milly79

No source, but I've heard the KHL is interested.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
No source, but I've heard the KHL is interested.
The KHL is ALWAYS interested in any player, no matter how untalented they are.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 04:08 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Yeah... the KHL is interested in any available NHL player. Hell, they're interested in any unavailable NHL player...