HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Mike Richards

Old
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
JABEE

vCash: 500
Mike Richards

For most of this season Richards has appeared as if he's not skating hard during plays. He has been gliding a lot lately and not moving his feet. He doesn't seem like the same player he was before. Is his conditioning a question or is he the player that needs an attitude adjustment? A team's captain is the player that should be leading his team by example on and off the ice, but for the past few months there seems to be a lack of effort and drive in his game. He is still putting up points, but I think his defensive game and play through the neutral zone should be looked at with much more scrutiny than it has lately. Is it time for Richards to step up his intensity and give the team a boost?

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I just wish he would shoot a little more.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
DenverBoone

Oh **** here we Goooooooooooooo

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I just wish he would shoot a little more.
I see what you did there.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:35 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Oh **** here we Goooooooooooooo
Would you care to respond to my claims with an actual rebuttal. Do you think Richards has been playing with energy? He looks like he's hungover lately.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Would you care to respond to my claims with an actual rebuttal. Do you think Richards has been playing with energy? He looks like he's hungover lately.
The Lil Wayne concert could be to blame.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
That you chose to say "hangover" is interesting.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:01 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That you chose to say "hangover" is interesting.
That you chose to put quotation marks around a word he didn't use is interesting.

03-28-2011, 05:09 PM
TheKingPin

ive been saying exactly this to my brother. But i was also thinking maybe he is doing this on purpose as to not get injured or burn out after seeing what it takes to go far in the playoffs last year. We have seen pronger do it where he slowly rises his play as the year goes on. Maybe richrads is learning off that. weve seen richards take over games before espcially when he is pissed. Hopefully we start seeing that soon. He looked more towards that last night...

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
That you chose to put quotation marks around a word he didn't use is interesting.
haha, touche. It's a busy day at work

Old
03-28-2011, 05:44 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

There might be something wrong with him physically, I don't know. He seems to get tired pretty quickly when it comes to defensive play, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

The guy's been pretty solid for us throughout the year, I'm not gonna complain too much. He always brings it in the playoffs -- I have a feeling we'll see big game Richards come out then. Does it excuse our overall lackadaisical play? No. But every [Flyers] team goes through this. Hopefully they turn it around.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:56 PM
BernieParent

I'll reserve my speculation until after the playoffs. For now, he does look off.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Snipsnap12

Hey guys I have noticed this throughout the entire season to be honest, he just has not looked himself however I dont really like to jump on him because I know when it counts this guy wants to win, hes a proven winner.

Its hard to say if he has a nagging injury because he hasnt been given many if any maintenance days, and hasnt missed anytime?

Anyway I am going to compare this to last year when I truly thought pronger was terrible defensively last year for the most part, he looked slow was getting beat wide all the time and didnt have much intesity to his game.... but then when the playoffs rolled around we all know he was a beast...... im thinking richards will slap it into 6th gear come playoffs

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

He hasn't looked 100% since he had the flu. If that hit him hard enough, it's not impossible he hasn't gotten back to speed yet. He didn't really take much time off.

Old
03-28-2011, 10:16 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I think he has a bad back that has been nagging him all along, and he aggravated fighting Dubinsky.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:23 PM
TheLegendkiller

Who knows. But he should have definately whooped Max Talbot's ass during the Pens game.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:21 AM
CGiroux3133

I thought he played with heart and intensity VS Boston up until he took that penalty. Which looked like it was out of frustration

CGiroux3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I think he has a bad back that has been nagging him all along, and he aggravated fighting Dubinsky.
the morning crew on WIP with Jonesie and Morgantti tend to believe he's hiding and injury when forced to talk about it from time to time... because he is not the same player that we've grown to be used to seeing night in and night out even if he's not putting up points.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Richards and Carter play how they feel like playing. There is a definite divide between guys like Timonon and Richards as to how they approach the games, at times I really do not get the laissez-faire approach of the young guys and the fans. It is like they expect to just make the playoffs and then go on to win.

There is such a thing as playing a team game and getting mentally and physically prepared as a group to be truly prepared for the playoffs, some of these guys just do not seem to get it. And a lot of fans think last year is how you get it done, just coast in and turn it up a notch.......not the case, last year was an anamoly.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
ive been saying exactly this to my brother. But i was also thinking maybe he is doing this on purpose as to not get injured or burn out after seeing what it takes to go far in the playoffs last year. We have seen pronger do it where he slowly rises his play as the year goes on. Maybe richrads is learning off that. weve seen richards take over games before espcially when he is pissed. Hopefully we start seeing that soon. He looked more towards that last night...
As a leader he needs to show by example. The issue is not whether he is willing to skate through a wall to get the puck, but it is about a team who has not played a full 60 minutes in awhile. When the guys are not getting it done they do not need to skip practices but be more attention to detail and work hard every shift, that comes from the leader, the captain, Mike Richards.

Old
03-29-2011, 08:34 AM
phillyfanatic

I honestly have not been impressed with Richards. He has been very good at times, but - he doesn't stand out much, and he does seem to get gassed very quickly. If he is out for more than 40 seconds, he looks like he is about to hurl.

I will reserve judgement until after the playoffs. But he hasn't had a great year. He is still the straw that stirs the drink and right now......the team seems to be playing like him, OK, good at times, lazy at others, not as hard as they can, not bad, but not good.

I am not hating on Richards, I agree with other posters - I think he is saving himself for the playoffs. The thing he needs to realize is, last year they got to the finals in 7th spot....you don't want to make a habit of that. If you can get 1st, go for it. You don't want fourth and play Tampa in the first round. Something tells me there will be a player or two on that team that will want to end our season early - and they just might. Also, teams that haven't been playing "playoff hockey" going into the playoffs, lose. They need to play for first. They need to start playing like it is the playoffs RIGHT NOW! The Rangers, Buffalo, Carolina are all in playoff mode.

Tonight is a good spot to start "amping it up". I am worried, but I do believe. Come on Richie - lets go.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I honestly have not been impressed with Richards. He has been very good at times, but - he doesn't stand out much, and he does seem to get gassed very quickly. If he is out for more than 40 seconds, he looks like he is about to hurl.

I will reserve judgement until after the playoffs. But he hasn't had a great year. He is still the straw that stirs the drink and right now......the team seems to be playing like him, OK, good at times, lazy at others, not as hard as they can, not bad, but not good.

I am not hating on Richards, I agree with other posters - I think he is saving himself for the playoffs. The thing he needs to realize is, last year they got to the finals in 7th spot....you don't want to make a habit of that. If you can get 1st, go for it. You don't want fourth and play Tampa in the first round. Something tells me there will be a player or two on that team that will want to end our season early - and they just might. Also, teams that haven't been playing "playoff hockey" going into the playoffs, lose. They need to play for first. They need to start playing like it is the playoffs RIGHT NOW! The Rangers, Buffalo, Carolina are all in playoff mode.

Tonight is a good spot to start "amping it up". I am worried, but I do believe. Come on Richie - lets go.
It comes down to playing with pride and refusing to lose, not expecting the flip a switch and just make it happen. Good teams prepare for the long run by fixing the little problems before they get into a playoff series.

Old
03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
He's also had a few nasty slashes across the hands/thumbs too, but I do think he must be nursing a sore back or shoulders. He's very careful about his hits now, not his usual reckless self.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
He's also had a few nasty slashes across the hands/thumbs too, but I do think he must be nursing a sore back or shoulders. He's very careful about his hits now, not his usual reckless self.
Maybe we should just shelve Carter and Richards for the rest of the season? FYI, Mike Richards has not been "reckless" since his breakout season in 2007-08.

Once he got the big contract and he reached the 70pt plateau his game changed. Now he thinks he is Wayne Gretzky trying to make reckless cross-ice passes. That has nothing to do with a body injury, that is 100% mental.

Old
03-29-2011, 09:01 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Maybe we should just shelve Carter and Richards for the rest of the season? FYI, Mike Richards has not been "reckless" since his breakout season in 2007-08.

Once he got the big contract and he reached the 70pt plateau his game changed. Now he thinks he is Wayne Gretzky trying to make reckless cross-ice passes. That has nothing to do with a body injury, that is 100% mental.
Our PP sucking is a big reason why Richards points are down. He had 33 PPP in 07-08, has around half of that this year.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote