HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Mike Richards

Old
03-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Somehow this is Carter's fault, I just can't figure out how. I will though.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Our PP sucking is a big reason why Richards points are down. He had 33 PPP in 07-08, has around half of that this year.
Reason why the PP is sucking is because of some of the stupid cross-ice, low percentage passes.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Flyskippy

Flyers still go as Richards goes

http://www.versus.com/blogs/the-dail...richards-goes/ by Bill Meltzer

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:55 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Bill Meltzer is kind of handsome, in a Bill Saget kind of way.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Bill Meltzer is kind of handsome, in a Bill Saget kind of way.

You should meet him in person, he's dreamy (you're welcome, Bill!)....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
duffy9748

Yeah he certainly needs to pick up his level of play. He should be the least of our concern's though. He's always been able to amp up his level of play when it matters most and I have little doubt that he can't do it this year.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Somehow this is Carter's fault, I just can't figure out how. I will though.
I was thinking the same thing. First I have to figure out how the earthquake and tsunami in Japan were his fault, then I'll try and help you figure out how Richards' play has deteriorated because of him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I was thinking the same thing. First I have to figure out how the earthquake and tsunami in Japan were his fault, then I'll try and help you figure out how Richards' play has deteriorated because of him.
You're right, the inconsistent play of Carter and Richards as well as their lackadaisical play at times has nothing to do with two of the core players who wear letters above the crest.

Old
03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Reason why the PP is sucking is because of some of the stupid cross-ice, low percentage passes.
Our PP sucking is not on any one player. Everyone on it is sucking

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Yeah he certainly needs to pick up his level of play. He should be the least of our concern's though. He's always been able to amp up his level of play when it matters most and I have little doubt that he can't do it this year.
When is "now"? Is it when they get bounced from the #1 seed by the Pens? Is it during the last game of the season where a win guarantees them home ice?(casue we know how clutch this crew is!!)When is it time to amp it up? When is it time to put forth a full 60 minutes of hockey? It has been awhile and I am still waiting.

Old
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Your best players and leaders need to be your best players on the ice when it counts. Giroux, Richards, and Briere are all guilty of the stupid, low % passes, but it is the leaders job, title, and responsibility to make sure everyone is on the same page playing together as a unit.

Guys trying to freelance is killing the PP. Get a chance, lose possession of the puck, watch it go back down the ice. Set up, repeat.

Old
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I usually don't rag on Richards because he always leaves it all on the ice and has so many intangibles but this year he def is "off." Again my only knock on him is more off the ice as far as leadership...I'm not big on his good cop style with the rest the of the players particularly his posse. There is a reason Holmgren last year said Richards has to step it up as a captain/leader and is still learning. I don't now that he has the Pronger bad cop in him so not sure how effective he'll be in his leadership role going forward as the vets like Pronger and Kimmo retire...

Hopefully, he's just saving his energy for the playoffs...if he still plays "off"....we'll be screwed.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Cartsiephan*

Here are some more quotes. Look at the difference to addressing important issues. Read the quotes, Timonen, Meszaros, and Laviolette all address things as facts, to the point. Richards, "well, I guess we got beat, but it is not like we did not try. I mean we show up to games, after my nap, and want to win, but some nights, you know, we just don't feel like it.":

Richards was upset last Thursday after the team’s 2-1 home shootout loss to the Penguins. “They worked hard and probably out hit us a little bit in our own building which is disappointing,” the captain said that night. ”I’m not sure if it was just a letdown after having a good game (Tuesday against the Washington Capitals) or we didn’t have our legs but it was disappointing stuff.”

Kimmo Timonen echoed Richards’ sentiments that same night. “They outworked us and won all the one-on-one battles,” the defenseman said. ”If you don’t work, you’re in trouble,”

We just need more energy, passion, and more battling out there,” defenseman Andrej Meszaros said after Sunday night’s 2-1 home loss to the Boston Bruins.

“We’re battling for the division with them (Pittsburgh), so it is a little perplexing and something we’re going to have to figure out,” said head coach Peter Laviolette when asked about the Flyers’ performance after the loss to Pittsburgh.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:44 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
It comes down to playing with pride and refusing to lose, not expecting the flip a switch and just make it happen. Good teams prepare for the long run by fixing the little problems before they get into a playoff series.
I honestly agree with you on Richards. This is what confuses me about your take on Carter. To me, he is the most consistent player in terms of effort night to night. He never is too high or too low, he brings it every shift, never gets tired, always backchecks, always plays both ways (sometimes the shots are going in, sometimes not.....but same effort). Sure, he is not a big hitter or a physical player, but in terms of effort - in my books, Jeff Carter is the model.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:46 PM
phillyfanatic

I don't want to get too negative on Richie as it will just seem "stupid" when he carries us through another playoff series. But, I agree......something is missing.....hoping the playoffs will bring it back. Tonight should be enough to get this team going.

Plus side - Loving the new lines!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:38 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
the morning crew on WIP with Jonesie and Morgantti tend to believe he's hiding and injury when forced to talk about it from time to time... because he is not the same player that we've grown to be used to seeing night in and night out even if he's not putting up points.
Yeah, his game has definitely been altered downward where energy and physical play are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
He's also had a few nasty slashes across the hands/thumbs too, but I do think he must be nursing a sore back or shoulders. He's very careful about his hits now, not his usual reckless self.
Hmmm, shoulder might make more sense than back.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:48 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:

It's all Gagne's fault.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I honestly agree with you on Richards. This is what confuses me about your take on Carter. To me, he is the most consistent player in terms of effort night to night. He never is too high or too low, he brings it every shift, never gets tired, always backchecks, always plays both ways (sometimes the shots are going in, sometimes not.....but same effort). Sure, he is not a big hitter or a physical player, but in terms of effort - in my books, Jeff Carter is the model.
Carter and Richards are eerily similar. When both want to play at the top of their games they can be some of the best young players in the league, but their inconsistency is what gets me. I just find it disturbing that every year this team has the same issues down the stretch. Jeff Carter and Mike Richards can be lazy on skates, floating around much like I would criticize Zherdev. Problem is they are the leaders on the team and when times are tough the example should be on the ice and I do not always see it.

Old
03-29-2011, 03:10 PM
JABEE

I think it might come down to Richards not being in shape to play in the system. I remember earlier in the year the media was commenting on how he didn't show up to camp early and when he arrived he was getting beat in skating competitions. I think it may have to do more with attitude though. It takes Richards too much time to get started up. He glides into the zone, sees the puck going the other way and takes a few seconds to get his feet moving. He should be always moving his feet on the ice and fighting for the puck. He goes in on the forecheck and doesn't go for the puck, he checks the opposite side of the man. I hope Versteeg gets Richards to put more effort out, because Versteeg was really moving his feet last game.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
It's all Gagne's fault.
Well, since you mentioned it....Gagne last 5 games, 5 goals, 2 assists, 7pts.

Last 10 games, 6 goals, 5 assists, 11pts.

Old
03-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Maybe we should just shelve Carter and Richards for the rest of the season? FYI, Mike Richards has not been "reckless" since his breakout season in 2007-08.

Once he got the big contract and he reached the 70pt plateau his game changed. Now he thinks he is Wayne Gretzky trying to make reckless cross-ice passes. That has nothing to do with a body injury, that is 100% mental.
Is there anybody on this hockey team that you do like?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Is there anybody on this hockey team that you do like?
Timonen, Pronger, Briere, Giroux, JvR, O'Donnell, even Hartnell....you can go down the roster pretty much. Even though Hartnell falls more than anyone on skates, I see his effort on most night pretty consistent.

I am just a firm believer that when called upon your leaders need to be leaders and your best players be your best plaeyrs. People want to give praise to Carter and Richards when things are going well, but when you have issue that have now gone on for 3-4yrs, you have to look at the core to take that responsibility too.

Old
03-29-2011, 03:59 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Well, since you mentioned it....Gagne last 5 games, 5 goals, 2 assists, 7pts.

Last 10 games, 6 goals, 5 assists, 11pts.
He was deadly on the PP.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 06:52 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
It's impossible to reason with him. You'll notice he hijacks pretty much every thread to make it about Carter. Look at his user name, look at his avatar, there is something really scary going on and it's so obviously personal he can't think or write properly. Everything that's wrong with this team is Carter's fault. Like Coburn's goal? If Carter wasn't on the ice it would have counted as 2 goals!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:59 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's impossible to reason with him. You'll notice he hijacks pretty much every thread to make it about Carter. Look at his user name, look at his avatar, there is something really scary going on and it's so obviously personal he can't think or write properly. Everything that's wrong with this team is Carter's fault. Like Coburn's goal? If Carter wasn't on the ice it would have counted as 2 goals!
We get some pretty obsessed...err interested fans on these forums, its entertaining.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote