HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anisimov Not Satisfied With Production This Season

Old
03-29-2011, 08:52 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I'd rank the play of our forwards in their own zone as follows;

1. Callahan
2. Dubinsky
3. Prust
4. Boyle
5. Anisimov

6. Fedotenko
7. Stepan
8. Christensen

9. Gaborik
10. Prospal
11. Avery
12. Zuccarello
13. Wolski

Anisimov is steadily improving in all aspects of his game. I watch tapes from last year and while the offensive potential was evident, he was far inferior in consistency, cycle play, using his body, as well as positional and defensive play. He has had the breakout season I expected, but it has been in more than just offense.
I would agree with your ranking (it would be Torts ranking as well) if we were only focusing on PK.

But in even strength play, by definition centers have more defensive zone responsibilities than wingers. Outside of defensive zone draws, Anisimov is a top tier defensive center (definitely better than Boyle).

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:36 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Just glancing at the advanced stats I noticed that Anisimov is now 3rd on the team in P/60 minutes at even strength behind Gaborik and Callahan. He's also 5th in QUALCOMP behind Callahan, Girardi, Staal and Dubinsky. Come playoff time, Anisimov is going to be centering our 5 man shutdown unit. If we play the Caps Anisimov and that line are going to get the Ovechkin assignment. I can't wait.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:51 AM
mullichicken25

one of my favorite things about anisimov is his ability to extend plays and keep the puck in the offensive zone after we turn it over the other team gets possesion

i know this doesnt directly show up on the stat sheet, but its very important...keeping the play alive makes points happen....even though that player may not actually get the point

i dont know if anyone on the team does this better than him, and thats a skill that will make him a very valuable player as he continues to develope

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:10 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Just glancing at the advanced stats I noticed that Anisimov is now 3rd on the team in P/60 minutes at even strength behind Gaborik and Callahan. He's also 5th in QUALCOMP behind Callahan, Girardi, Staal and Dubinsky. Come playoff time, Anisimov is going to be centering our 5 man shutdown unit. If we play the Caps Anisimov and that line are going to get the Ovechkin assignment. I can't wait.
I would have to disagree.......our shutdown unit will be Feds-Boyle-Prust

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:31 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
I would have to disagree.......our shutdown unit will be Feds-Boyle-Prust
People think Feds-Boyle-Prust is the shutdown unit because they play a very physical style of game but in reality they are rarely matched up against the other teams' top lines. All three of them have significantly lower QUALCOMP than the Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan line. Really, it makes sense. Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan is a better line. They are our best line, offensively and defensively and in a playoff series they will be matched up against the other team's best line. I guarantee it.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:39 PM
GrizMint

Quote:
People think Feds-Boyle-Prust is the shutdown unit because they play a very physical style of game but in reality they are rarely matched up against the other teams' top lines. All three of them have significantly lower QUALCOMP than the Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan line. Really, it makes sense. Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan is a better line. They are our best line, offensively and defensively and in a playoff series they will be matched up against the other team's best line. I guarantee it.
Personally if we are at home and picking matchups, I would use the Boyle line against the other teams top line and have them be completly defensive minded and have the Anisimov line get more quality time against other lines. Its the theory just because the Anisimov line is our "best" line they should do what they are best at on the team...defense, but they are better offensivley than the Boyle line so you have to let Boyle and co. play the top grinder role and hope the Pack line can score. I'm not sold on whos better defensively im just using your opinion to argue the other way

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
I'd add "generally" to this statement. There are many variables. For instance, in away games Torts is not going to go out of his way to get Boyle line off the ice EVERY time they wind-up playing against opponent's top line. It would be difficult to do line matching in away games to begin with, so I'm sure our coaches would concentrate their line matching to get EC or Stepan's line away from opponents top line first.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:46 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKING33 View Post
Personally if we are at home and picking matchups, I would use the Boyle line against the other teams top line and have them be completly defensive minded and have the Anisimov line get more quality time against other lines. Its the theory just because the Anisimov line is our "best" line they should do what they are best at on the team...defense, but they are better offensivley than the Boyle line so you have to let Boyle and co. play the top grinder role and hope the Pack line can score. I'm not sold on whos better defensively im just using your opinion to argue the other way
If you do that you are hampering your team. If Torts has proven one thing in his tenure here it's that, more often than not, he's going to go best vs best as far as matchups are concerned. He's been doing it with the Dubi/Anisimov/Callahan line all season, it's just that no one has noticed because the Boyle line routinely dominates other teams' 3rd and 4th lines. One of the reasons this team is successful is that our depth guys have been winning the battles against other teams' depth guys.

Torts isn't going to get cute with the matchups, he hasn't been doing that at all this season. People thought I was crazy in the Gilroy thread when I pointed out that he's been facing the weakest competition in the league and getting the least amount of defensive zone starts. Two days later the Gilroy project ended. It's not complicated to understand how Torts coaches. The Dubi/Anisimov/Callahan line is our best line. They will play against the best in the playoffs.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:48 AM
Ola

I love it.

AA needs to take another big step in his development to become a 1st line player. I have for a long time predicted that he probably will not be able to take that step -- but its certainly not impossible. Love to hear that he really is aiming for it, thats what it is all about,

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote