HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timonen comments on JvR's hatrick....

Old
03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Timonen is pissed, he has been making several comments about this with the younger guys. There is no question a disconnect between the younger guys in the locker room and the older, more established guys.
Other than him pointing out the obvious that Bob cannot play the puck well, who else has he called out? Several is more than 2 and saying there are communication issues with a goalie who speaks Russian and that an inconsistent kid needs to bring it every night which are both true, what leads you to believe there is a disconnect? By the way, the only really young players on this team are JvR(21), Bob(22), Giroux(23), Nodl and Versteeg(24).

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Somebody has to come out and keep it real.
Dumbest figure of speech going around nowadays. How does someone keep it false?

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Flattery is the only thing i'm not offended by. Keep it comin'.
You have a great haircut.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
http://*******************/articles/...ort-questioned

Just came across this..............

Is BR blocked on HF or something?
Apparently HF is not interested in linking to the competition, although that's a slippery slope now that Bleacher Report is a partner with the Philly.com...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/

Fan contributions from Philly.com partner Bleacher Report

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
**** you, keeping it real is sweet as ****.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
When they think that they are playing consistently, but inconsistent from period to period. An honest effort beats skill every time.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Other than him pointing out the obvious that Bob cannot play the puck well, who else has he called out? Several is more than 2 and saying there are communication issues with a goalie who speaks Russian and that an inconsistent kid needs to bring it every night which are both true, what leads you to believe there is a disconnect? By the way, the only really young players on this team are JvR(21), Bob(22), Giroux(23), Nodl and Versteeg(24).

KIMMO TIMONEN called the Flyers' effort "average." Mike Richards said the Flyers were "right there."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1I0RMsqOJ
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

In case you missed the memo the guys who have been around are #17 and #18, as well as #19 over the last couple years when this seems to be the end of the year routine. The games down the stretch are seemingly not important and the effort shows. Timonen and Prongers comments throughout have been directed at the big four: Carter, Richards, Giroux, and Hartnell.

They need to come to play each night, while it may not be their best effort every night at least put forth the effort. It is the lack of effort which has been clear for a long time now, relying on their skill to win games and not on effort. This goes back to last season, and even back to the 2008-09 season when the Flyers lost to the Skirts in the last game of the playoffs and Joe Watson walked into the locker room to hear guys laughing and joking. Watson's response, not exact quote but you get the gist: "wtf are those guys celebrating for? They just lost home ice in the first round". Well guess what , no win tonight and they might as well just look at the 4/5 matchup instead of getting home ice throughout the EC playoffs.

"It's just the little things that we need to correct," said Richards, whose high-sticking penalty led to Marchand's goal. "[The games] were right there and we didn't find ways to win. Consistency is something we have been good with all year but we are being inconsistent within the game."

Still, should it say something that even through the inconsistent strings over the last month that the Flyers managed to go on a nine-game point streak? Only their 10-game streak from Oct. 26 to Nov. 15 was longer.

"It's not like we don't try to play 60 minutes," said Kris Versteeg, who scored the Flyers' goal 4:45 into the game. "You're not happy when you don't get the points you want out of it. I don't think we had the 60-minute effort we needed. We have got to find it. I think it comes from within, and we have a lot of character within this room."

Even though Timonen said he thought the Bruins were "the better team" last night, he saw a flash in the pan last Tuesday against Washington that reminded him of the team he helped run to the top of the standings on Jan. 4.

"The Washington game was the game we would like to play every night," Timonen said. "It showed this week that we can play that game when everybody is on the same page and everybody wants to play well."

That's the issue, though - not every player is on the same page. They say the first step in recovery is admitting the problem. Is it possible to have a problem during a 5-0-4 run?

"We have only seven games left," Timonen said. "We can't go into the playoffs playing up-and-down hockey. It's not going to work."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1I0SDp6O0
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Last edited by Cartsiephan*: 03-29-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old
03-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
**** you, keeping it real is sweet as ****.
Sweet as ****? Are you a coprophage?

Old
03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Jester

Are you going to change your name to "Richiephan"?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Are you going to change your name to "Richiephan"?
Nah, keeping up on the hate of one player is enough. But at times they overlap, maybe Richie-Cartsie-phan?

Old
03-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Jester

It's been abundantly clear from the outset of his career that Richards is not interested in, nor comfortable dealing with the media. That being the case, I'm not sure why anyone really cares what he says to 'em... he's not a good public speaker in that forum, and it isn't likely to change.

Essentially it's buying into Timmeh P's hysterics, when all I really care about his how he plays on the ice and what he says behind closed doors... where I assume he's far more comfortable given everything we know about him throughout his career.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
It's been abundantly clear from the outset of his career that Richards is not interested in, nor comfortable dealing with the media. That being the case, I'm not sure why anyone really cares what he says to 'em... he's not a good public speaker in that forum, and it isn't likely to change.

Essentially it's buying into Timmeh P's hysterics, when all I really care about his how he plays on the ice and what he says behind closed doors... where I assume he's far more comfortable given everything we know about him throughout his career.
Exactly. They're paid to play hockey - not pander to journalists (and that term fits them loosely) who are gonzo journalists like Pistachio or have an agenda like Carchidi, who needs to realize he's not interviewing high school kids who think it's cool to get interviewed. Pronger called the reporters in Philly combative. He was talking to Pistachio when he said that, but he used the plural.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

Because it seems that his inability to communicate with the media also coincides with his inability to communicate with his teammates. If a team is having the same problem over 20+ games I think there is a lack of communication somewhere along the line, and he is wearing the C.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Because it seems that his inability to communicate with the media also coincides with his inability to communicate with his teammates. If a team is having the same problem over 20+ games I think there is a lack of communication somewhere along the line, and he is wearing the C.
It's preposterous that a regular fan would know the insides and outs of the Flyers. I call conjecture.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
You have no way of knowing this. Only people in the locker room do.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:38 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wow, you defending JVR and attacking Timonen... surprising

Timonen was justified. JVR has not had a great season. He has some games where he looked really good, and others where he was AHL caliber. We know you want to trade Kimo and all and all about USA hockey, but this was 100% justified.
Yup exactly what I was aiming for.

And the bold, I think this applies to everyone on the team.

Edit - Now that I think about it, I remember all of this board saying how snakebitten JvR was, and how the effort is there every night but the results didn't always add up. Just because a player isn't producing, doesn't mean the effort isn't there. And 20 goals with limited PP time, I don't think its a bad sophmore season. Yeah he got off on a bad start, but since then he's been one of the more consistent forwards.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Dude wouldn't be named captain at every level he's ever played if he couldn't communicate.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You have no way of knowing this. Only people in the locker room do.
Then my question is, why are these issues still on the table? Timonen coming out and talking about inconsistent efforts. The GM and coach talking about complacency. It is conjecture, but where there is smoke..

Old
03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Storm View Post
Dude wouldn't be named captain at every level he's ever played if he couldn't communicate.
Maybe he was always the "best player"?

Old
03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Then my question is, why are these issues still on the table? Timonen coming out and talking about inconsistent efforts. The GM and coach talking about complacency. It is conjecture, but where there is smoke..
Because they havent been playing well? I dont understand how:

inconsistent efforts = locker room trouble

There is 0 evidence that there is locker room trouble. A vet saying that a young player needs to play better doesnt mean there is a rift in the locker room...sry

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
In case you haven't realized, the sports media for this town is absolutely terrible. It's well documented by our Canadian posters every time this "issue" comes up that Richards isn't this way with Canadian media, because they actually give a **** and know what they're talking about.

The only reason the Flyers get the press they do around here is because they win. Even with that, they're still the butt end of jokes for some media figures.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Or maybe they all just have their own way of speaking to the media.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Jester

Quote:
Talk is cheap... why is the problem in communication necessarily?

Old
03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Maybe he was always the "best player"?
No, not always. Every coach, every player, most fans who have paid attention since he was young, will tell you he was born for the leadership role.

Of course, they were focusing on important things and not pointless interviews after a loss.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:27 AM
Madude

Maby it's just a cultural thing but what you guys find as calling someone out or whatever often amuses me.

I find Timonen's comments about JVR more complimentary than anything else.

Madude is offline   Reply With Quote