HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frustrated Vokoun Waived NMC at TDL

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2011, 06:16 AM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
Frustrated Vokoun Waived NMC at TDL

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,1322014.story

According to the Sun Sentinel, Vokoun was willing to waive his NMC at the TDL to go to a contender, but the Panthers only received a single late, low-ball offer. The article discusses Vokoun's understandable frustration playing for a losing franchise and alludes to the existence of a tense relationship between DeBoer and Vokoun.

Although Vokoun said positive things about Tallon's efforts to rebuild, the tenor of Vokoun's comments makes it sound as if he wants to move on when he becomes a free agent at the end of the season.

Discuss

Old
03-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Gudbranson44

it doesnt surprise me one bit. his post game comments and attitude kind of gives it away. I dont believe we will be able to re-sign him, and he will be the next star player that leaves us without us getting anything significant in return.
cant blame tallon tho, the goalie market is weak as hell this year.

Old
03-29-2011, 06:25 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I appreciate his honesty, but throwing teammates under the bus is just wrong. Nobody would say, "Well, if Tomas didnt let in that goal, it would have been different," but I guess that just his way of dealing with the frustration. I understand the frustration, and am pissed as a fan of the team, but whats the point of calling teammates out in the media? If he wants to leave then thats his decision, and Im fine with it. I never thought he was as good as others here did, and Im ok with Tallon going in another direction, until Markstrom is ready.

Old
03-29-2011, 06:26 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
There really isn't much to discuss here.

The market for goaltenders in trades is barely existant and thus no significant value IMO was plasuable from Vokoun at the trade deadline.

Vokoun isn't going to resign with us. Why would he? Personally i think Vokoun has too high of a capi hit ; but that isn't because i value Vokoun lowly, rather i believe the average level of Goaltending league wide is getting better and better thus spending such money on a G is not that wise. Vokoun has performed very well during his tenure here and only an idiot could have any ill will towards him. If i were him, i'd absolutely wish to leave. He's got little time left and obviously wants to play for a contender.

But as the Goaltending market is non existant right now and IMO it is becoming a position of greater excellence and competition than we have ever seen before, Vokoun may find it difficult to find a spot elsewhere. He'll certainly have to accept less money.

Old
03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Pantherfan12

I actually do think he'll resign, if Deboer isn't here. Apparently both Vokoun and the Panthers wanted an extention, whether it's true or just the media blowing smoke, I can see Vokoun wanting to stay because he sees Tallon doing good things here and knows it'll be a good team. I don't think Deboer is ready to be a full time NHL coach, and as many other players have stated, I don't think he knows how to handle NHL'ers like pro's instead of junior players.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
ursavolta

Sucks to see vokie feel that way.. if we sign him for another year i think we will be fine.. clemmer and markstrom look shaky now..

me thinks vokie goes to detriot..

How would you guys feel about getting huet from the blackhawks? vokoun crawford combo would look very good on their point.. and im pretty sure vokie would sign there cheap in a heartbeat..

Old
03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
Sucks to see vokie feel that way.. if we sign him for another year i think we will be fine.. clemmer and markstrom look shaky now..

me thinks vokie goes to detriot..

How would you guys feel about getting huet from the blackhawks? vokoun crawford combo would look very good on their point.. and im pretty sure vokie would sign there cheap in a heartbeat..
I dont think Vokoun goes to Detroit but he has a few possibilities, even though it doesnt appear like it. I could easily see him going to TB.

No way to Huet...not worth the cap hit even if we need to get to the cap floor. We'd be better off signing someone else thats a free agent over trading for Huet, unless Chicago is giving us a good pick or prospect to take him off their hands.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
ursavolta

huet cap is alot i agree.. and it is till 2013.... buttttt... if chicago gave us a 3rd would you guys bite?

Old
03-29-2011, 10:51 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

This is the best news i heard in a month! Bye Bye Vokoun dont let the door hit ya and the good lord split ya.

Old
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
LuckyLuke87

He'll sign with Colorado for 2 years 3 - 3,5 mil per season.

Old
03-29-2011, 12:18 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I actually do think he'll resign, if Deboer isn't here. Apparently both Vokoun and the Panthers wanted an extention, whether it's true or just the media blowing smoke, I can see Vokoun wanting to stay because he sees Tallon doing good things here and knows it'll be a good team. I don't think Deboer is ready to be a full time NHL coach, and as many other players have stated, I don't think he knows how to handle NHL'ers like pro's instead of junior players.
Agree with all parts..

Old
03-29-2011, 12:27 PM
KWGoon

I suggested on the other thread that when criticizing on ice play, vokoun was largely criticizing pdb. Now the article says "given his rocky relationship with daBore..." which is further suggesting the same. Vokoun may well be back for another 2 years at reduced salary, if pdb goes. I would like that.

Old
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Acadmus

Sad, but I can't blame Tomas - I wasn't happy with him the first few seasons he was here, but these last two he's been the only reason the team has hung around playoff contention at all. When your goalie only lets in 2 goals most nights and you still can't win, it ain't the goalie that's the problem. His frustration is no doubt due to the seeming lack of interest of management to address that problem.

So...even if they do address that problem this offseason, the team will see another hole open up - a big one - that will cause them to miss the playoffs for another year. I hope Markstrom lives up to the hype in the end, and his learning curve is ready to turn down sharply, because the Panthers will need him.

03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Paul DiPietro55

Vokoun is a winner guy. He wants to win all the time. It would be better if we lost all our remaining games, Vokoun on the other hand doesn't think like that. Every goalie wants to keep his goal clean at all costs any time.

I have nothing but praise for this man. Great keeper who deserves to be on a better team.

Last edited by Acadmus: 04-01-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: took out overly harsh language that could cause problems and trolling accusations
Old
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
huet cap is alot i agree.. and it is till 2013.... buttttt... if chicago gave us a 3rd would you guys bite?
Huet's contract ends in summer of 2012

Panthers ownership could probably get a decent pick from Hawks if you take him and buy him out (2 yr hit of 1.875 mil on cap) instead of Hawks owner having to eat his salary for another year in minors.

I dont understand why Tallon didn't trade Vokoun if he had an offer (Even if it was no real value like an expiring UFA or 7th round pick). It would look good around the league if Tallon moved a vet like Vokoun to a contender after his years of service to Panthers

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 03-29-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old
03-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Erick

Um, no to Huet.

Old
03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
ursavolta

I wouldnt mind taking in huets payroll if there was a good pick coming back...

but i rather go for nitty

Old
03-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
OMG!! NO WAY!! really?

Old
03-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Huet's contract ends in summer of 2012

Panthers ownership could probably get a decent pick from Hawks if you take him and buy him out (2 yr hit of 1.875 mil on cap) instead of Hawks owner having to eat his salary for another year in minors.

I dont understand why Tallon didn't trade Vokoun if he had an offer (Even if it was no real value like an expiring UFA or 7th round pick). It would look good around the league if Tallon moved a vet like Vokoun to a contender after his years of service to Panthers
Was supposedly a bad offer, and considering who he sent away at the deadline and what the return was, that return was obviously pretty bad. Add in what it would've cost to bring in a replacement, apparently didn't make much sense to move Vokoun and would've cost more than what would have come back.

03-29-2011, 04:11 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Was supposedly a bad offer, and considering who he sent away at the deadline and what the return was, that return was obviously pretty bad. Add in what it would've cost to bring in a replacement, apparently didn't make much sense to move Vokoun and would've cost more than what would have come back.
agree.

Old
03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
If he goes to TB, I'm going to cry. Logical fit and one I've thought about for a while now, but I really, really don't want it to happen.

Old
03-29-2011, 06:51 PM
HowdyHowden93*

I guess what that guy told me the other day means basically nothing. If Vokoun leaves, this team might have the 1st overall pick in the draft next year. I wouldn't have a problem with that, I just hate F ing losing.

Old
03-29-2011, 07:00 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
I've heard it was something like a 4th round pick.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:13 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
This is incorrect as I have already pointed out. You keep bringing this up but it is NOT CORRECT. There were multiple UFA-to-be goalies on waiver on deadline day. They all made less money than Vokoun does now and were free asset-wise.

I really didn't want to comment on this thread because I've beat on this dead horse way too much by now but it I can not believe that so many of you are ok with us still having Vokoun on this team. If you believe the unlikely scenarios that the team will re-sign him or if you think he can be traded for enough before July 1 to make up for a lower draft position, then fine, I will give you that, but other than that, there is no good reason to have him on our team right now. None, zero, zip, zilch.

Whether it was a 3rd, 7th round pick, or a bag of pucks, it doesn't matter. We could have had some additional assets, likely a higher draft position, and saved money. This won't make or break our re-build but it sure was a stupid move (with the exception of the above scenarios which I believe unlikely) and I'm surprised so many of you are ok with it.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
This is incorrect as I have already pointed out. You keep bringing this up but it is NOT CORRECT. There were multiple UFA-to-be goalies on waiver on deadline day. They all made less money than Vokoun does now and were free asset-wise.

I really didn't want to comment on this thread because I've beat on this dead horse way too much by now but it I can not believe that so many of you are ok with us still having Vokoun on this team. If you believe the unlikely scenarios that the team will re-sign him or if you think he can be traded for enough before July 1 to make up for a lower draft position, then fine, I will give you that, but other than that, there is no good reason to have him on our team right now. None, zero, zip, zilch.

Whether it was a 3rd, 7th round pick, or a bag of pucks, it doesn't matter. We could have had some additional assets, likely a higher draft position, and saved money. This won't make or break our re-build but it sure was a stupid move (with the exception of the above scenarios which I believe unlikely) and I'm surprised so many of you are ok with it.
I'll stick by my post, without hesitation, yours proves nothings. Guy was moving EVERYTHING for just about ANYTHING, that the deal for Vokoun was bad in his eyes, tells me it was...BAD! Deal with it.

Closed Thread