Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Mestis 2010/11

Old
08-11-2010, 10:35 AM
shefpie

vCash: 500
Mestis 2010/11

Hi

Bit of a random question if anyone can offer any advice. I'm going to be spending a couple of weeks in Finland at the end of September. Planning on going to watch some SM Liiga games but I was also thinking about trying to get to a couple of Mestis games.

I know, more or less, where the teams that play in Mestis are based and I've managed to find a fixture list on www.mestis.fi but other than that I dont really know too much about any of the teams.

Are there any teams that anyone would recommending watching or avoiding? Which are the best and worst support teams in the league?

Thanks for any advice that anyone can offer.

shefpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
raystorm

I guess that Kookoo will have the best team in Mestis so I recommend to go watch their games. But the best attendants are Sport fans. So Sport's game would be fantastic to watch.

Anyway welcome to Finland and great that u want to watch hockey games!

raystorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:52 AM
shefpie

Cheers for the info. Think I'm going to stay in Vaasa for a couple of days so I'll definitely try and get to see a Sport match.

If I can find anywhere reasonably cheap to stay near Kouvola then I'll try and get to a Koo Koo game as well.

The other 2 teams I'm thinking of trying to get to see are TuTo and Jokipojat.

Plus, I might try to see either K-Vantaa or LeKi if I'm staying in either Helsinki or Tampere and there's no SM Liiga action on.

Should be a good trip. I've been to Finland before but never during the Ice Hockey season so looking forward to seeing some games.

Old
09-02-2010, 03:34 AM
KiekkoKolli

Welcome to Finland, nice to have someone intrested in Mestis hockey too. You made good choices, Vaasa is great place to watch hockey, they have the best and noisiest fans in Mestis. But you definetly have to come to Kouvola as well, KooKoo is maybe the best team in Mestis this year and we have pretty good fan-group as well. TuTo and Jokipojat are pretty nice choices too.

KiekkoKolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 01:24 PM
WildHockey90

In my many visits to the great country that Finland is I have to say watching a KooKoo was definitely up there with the most enjoyment I had at a game. The team was good and the fans especially are superb !! and plus Kouvola is a transport hub and is a really easy city to get to.

As been said already
KooKoo
Sport
TuTo
Jokipojat are the ones I reccomend.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Finland as much as I do !!

Last edited by WildHockey90: 09-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.
WildHockey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Would check out HeKi too. If only for the makkara.

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:35 AM
shefpie

Hi

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for all the responses I got. Had a great time in Finland. Had to cut my trip abit short so was only there for 9 days. In the end I only got to 1 Mestis game (Jokipojat-Jukurit) but it was a very good game to see.

I did manage to get to 7 SM Liiga games so I dont think I did too badly for only 9 days away.

Hoping to maybe get back over for a few days in Jan/Feb next year so if I do I'll have to try and get to a KooKoo game.

Cheers.

Old
02-07-2011, 07:10 AM
shefpie

Finally managed to get to a KooKoo game. I came to watch to KooKoo-Jokipojat match on Friday. I bought an old fashioned looking retro white KooKoo match jersey from the fanshop with 'Tontti 10' on the back and a different KooKoo logo on the front. I was hoping someone might know abit about the shirt (I know my description might be abit vague) and if you could give me abit of information about the shirt. In what seasons did KooKoo play in that style of white shirt? Also, can someone tell me who is Tontti? Is he a famous former player for KooKoo?

Any information would be great, cheers.

Old
02-13-2011, 12:30 PM
sirMcDuck

Glad you came to see KooKoo's game.

I have no clue about player named Tontti but if you could upload picture from your shirt we could take a look for a year.

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:27 AM
shefpie

I cant find a picture of the shirt anywhere on the internet. Not even google could help. I have tried uploading a digital photograph but my crappy old computer doesn’t appear to want to do it.

Here’s a more detailed description of the shirt.

It’s a white shirt. On the front there’s what is (according to Wikipedia) the old Kouvola coat of arms (2 red keys that cross each other) on the top right of it and an advert for ‘Neste Oils’ on the top left.

The KooKoo logo is in the middle of the front and is in white lettering with orange backing and it has 2 blue overlapping triangles behind it.

Across the bottom is a series of jagged blue and orange triangles which look abit like they are mean to represent ice, maybe?

There are stitched on adverts for ‘Olvi’ and ‘Gasum’ on both the sleeves

On the back it says ‘Tontti 15’ (not 10, my mistake) and there's another bigger advert for ‘Neste Oils’ under it. At the bottom there is another series of jagged blue and orange triangles the same as on the front

I do appreciate that it must be very difficult, if not impossible, to really get anything from my description. Thanks for your reply. Had a great time at the KooKoo game. Think they are definitely going to become the Finnish team that I support. I really like the shirt I bought I was just trying to get abit more information about it. Thanks for your efforts.

Last edited by shefpie: 02-16-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old
03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Emppu

It seems that Jukurit will sweep all teams on Playoff haha

Emppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Korppu

vCash: 720
Vaasan Sport has won Mestis 2010-2011! Robin Bergman scored the OT winner in game 5 of the finals. Ultimate underdog Sport won the series after coming back from 2-0 to 3-2. Sport will face Pelicans in game 1 of SM-Liiga relegation series this Saturday.

Korppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 06:39 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korppu View Post
Vaasan Sport has won Mestis 2010-2011!
Gongrats!

Quote:
Sport will face Pelicans in game 1 of SM-Liiga relegation series this Saturday.
Go Sport Go!

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 07:55 AM
shefpie

Great comeback by Sport. Does anyone think that they can beat Pelicans? I'd really like to see them in SM Liiga next season.

Old
03-17-2011, 09:01 AM
FrankTheTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefpie View Post
Great comeback by Sport. Does anyone think that they can beat Pelicans? I'd really like to see them in SM Liiga next season.
MVP of the Mestis was Kim Nabb and he played 19 games in the SM-league earlier in this season and his points was 0+0. So this tells something, but of course you have to remember that Sport is the underdog and Pelicans got the pressures. Sport will win maybe a one game but they don't have any chance to beat Pelicans in the long run

FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Emppu

That's it, the same Jokipojat did last year against Ilves. I think they can't beat Pelicans

Emppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 06:43 AM
shefpie

So, Sport didnt manage to win a single game against Pelicans then. After they blew a 3-0 lead in game 2 they didnt really stand much of a chance.

Looks like Hokki have retained their place in Mestis for next season. I was hoping that RoKi might get back up. I would have thought Rovaniemi would be able to support a Mestis team. And they've got quite a new, modern arena to play in havent they?

Does anyone think that the current promotion/relegation is too heavily weighted in favour of the team in the higher league? It seems to me that Kvalserien in Sweden does seem to, at least, give the lower league teams more of a chance.

Old
03-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Korppu

vCash: 720
Quote:
I would have thought Rovaniemi would be able to support a Mestis team. And they've got quite a new, modern arena to play in havent they?
3500 seater built in 2003. RoKi has good area for marketing and stable fanbase. Maybe the obstacle for their promotion and keeping their spot in Mestis is that good enough players are not willing to move to Rovaniemi just to play in a lower level team and their own core is just not strong enough.

Quote:
Does anyone think that the current promotion/relegation is too heavily weighted in favour of the team in the higher league? It seems to me that Kvalserien in Sweden does seem to, at least, give the lower league teams more of a chance.
Promotion to SM-Liiga is made hard for a reason and as we've seen many times during last 3 years, it's because they don't want anyone to promote. After all it's they who make the rules and if you want to promote you have to play by the rules. Im sure they would make up something to prevent the promotion if they didn't like the team that won the series.

System in Mestis <-> Suomi-sarja changed from last year and probably will do so in future too. After all, crowd wants to see some bigger "independent" teams (RoKi, Hermes) replacing total farm teams like LeKi. This year i think the system was slighty weighted in favour of Suomi-sarja teams as it would've had been possible to promote even without getting a single point from the Mestis team and Mestis team had to prevent all 3 S-sarja teams from topping them in points.

Korppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Tapparan Mies

Would have loved to have seen Sport finally come up, great support and somewhere different to go to on an away day roadtrip.

Tapparan Mies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 04:56 AM
shefpie

Quote:
3500 seater built in 2003. RoKi has good area for marketing and stable fanbase. Maybe the obstacle for their promotion and keeping their spot in Mestis is that good enough players are not willing to move to Rovaniemi just to play in a lower level team and their own core is just not strong enough.

Promotion to SM-Liiga is made hard for a reason and as we've seen many times during last 3 years, it's because they don't want anyone to promote. After all it's they who make the rules and if you want to promote you have to play by the rules. Im sure they would make up something to prevent the promotion if they didn't like the team that won the series.

System in Mestis <-> Suomi-sarja changed from last year and probably will do so in future too. After all, crowd wants to see some bigger "independent" teams (RoKi, Hermes) replacing total farm teams like LeKi. This year i think the system was slighty weighted in favour of Suomi-sarja teams as it would've had been possible to promote even without getting a single point from the Mestis team and Mestis team had to prevent all 3 S-sarja teams from topping them in points.
Yeah. I do take your point about the Mestis/Suomi sarja play offs being fairer. I think if RoKi had won away at KOOVEE they'd probably have been promoted. I guess I think it would be better if they had 2 promotion/relegation places available. It seems abit odd to me that TuTo finnished bottom of Mestis by about 16 points and didnt have to fight for their place in Mestis against the Suomi sarja teams because they managed to beat Hokki in a play off.