HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Del Zotto.

Old
03-29-2011, 03:38 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
If McCabe comes back as a left D he's kind of in Del Zotto's way. In a sense those two on the pwp together--both able to walk the blueline and with McCable potentially settling MDZ down could do wonders for our pwp. I like how McCabe doesn't hesitate to get the puck to the net--at the same time capable of drawing defenders out of position and making a player either in front of him or behind him.

But then McCabe is slow and both of them have issues defensively. Kind of could see it not working out too and MDZ spending more time in Hartford.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 05:23 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Start him out with the Whale and let him earn the call up.

If he's deserving, he will get the call. If he's not deserving, then shame on him.

Regarding V-Tank, the injury problems were the same concern most of us had for Sauer and he's done very well. No guarantee the same will happen with Tank, but the proof is right there on our 2nd D pairing.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
It's a simple thought, what do you think we should do with Del Zotto. It seems like we wont be signing McCabe next season therefore we will have an open spot on the Defensive unit. So, do we try Del Zotto again or put in Gilroy? (Both in my opinion are bad choices )
1. Resign Bryan McCabe, if you can get him for a reasonable sum. He could grow into a leader on this team at a cheap price. Take some heat from the kids.

I wanna say this now in a thread I have no stake in -- D's take a long time to grow into a team. Paul Mara was very mediocre his first year in NY, for example. Became a solid depth guy later on. Look at Kaberle in Boston. There are so many factors depending on getting to know your team-mates. How D's want the passes. How the forwards wants the passes et c.

2. Invest every single bit you can in Michael Del Zotto. This kid have a ton of hockey in him and is still extremely young.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
McCabe would be a tremendous mentor for Del Zotto. I wouldn't be certain about McCabe not returning for another season.
Kind of what I was thinking too.

Watching him bark at Stepan on the PP the other day, I was like WTF becasue Step's is the kind of kid you dont have to bark at to get him to learn. But then I saw the look on McCabe's face as he turned away and I recognize that look as a father so to speak.

IMO, MDZ could learn a bit from McCabe and it wouldnt hurt to have him regain his form as our #2ppqb behind McCabe. Although a D unit shuffleing may be in order as I still believe MDZ is best suited with a stay at home type partner even if he improves defensively.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Vitto79

Top 4 is set. I see the other spots filled by Del Zotto, Valentenko and Eminger if he takes a slight pay cut which I think he will to stay in the league.

I figure they spend there money on their RFA forwards and ideally Richards so the D stays young. Heck why not

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:08 AM
nrf83

Quote:
McCabe would be a tremendous mentor for Del Zotto. I wouldn't be certain about McCabe not returning for another season.
why, every time an older player is looking to be re-signed he automatically becomes a mentor to youngster looking to take his place?

1)McCabe is a player not a teacher
2)NYR have Torts, Schoney, assn't coaches for mentoring
3)DZ already has McCabe's attributes which is why he is in Hartford

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:11 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
The hand injury really fudged up Del Zotto's chances next year IMO it took away his chance to build up confidence down the stretch of the AHL's season, and come up next year with intensity and a desire to make it. The positive thing, though, was that Del Zotto looked pretty good in the few games prior to when he got sent down. I was actually a bit puzzled when I saw it happen the second time.

Hopefully, he can work on his offensive game and mental lapses over the summer; I think he has the defensive game to get by without being a liability, but there really seems to be problem in his thought process he seems distracted when he's playing. But, that's probably a trait that will be fixed with maturity, experience, and age.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

sign mccabe cheap one year deal as a bridge to del zotto later in the year or the season after. kid needs to mature in the A for a while. no problem at all he's going to be very good for us just needs to develop.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Answer to the OP- the Rangers should do whatever necessary to develop DZ's game. Whether it be keep him in the AHL for all of next season, call him up midway, or keep him with the big club the entire season. I feel that DZ is a player that can be a huge asset, put up 40-50 points for this team, for a long time. I'm not sure what it is because I'm not a scout, but the Rangers must do whatever they think is necessary to keep him on the right track.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:06 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Del Zotto is untouchable for anything other than a massive overpayment in return for him. He's the only young defenseman we have who has real offensive potential. They need someone to play that role.

On top of that, now's the wrong time to trade him even if they wanted to do so. His value is at a low right now so you won't get as much back for him as you otherwise would.
lol, calm down. "massive overpayment" for MDZero right now would be a 2nd.

The kid certainly needs time to develop, but let's not pretend we have a lock of an NHLer on our hands, nevermind a serious offensive producer. He had literally 20 good NHL games last year. Considering in quite a few games he put up an assist or goal, and proceeded to go -3.

CT Whale stats: 11GP, 0G, 7A, 8PIM, 0PPP despite seriously healthy PP time.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:20 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post

The kid certainly needs time to develop, but let's not pretend we have a lock of an NHLer on our hands, nevermind a serious offensive producer. He had literally 20 good NHL games last year. Considering in quite a few games he put up an assist or goal, and proceeded to go -3.

in DZ's defense(no pun) he broke his finger 3rd or 4th game out of box for Whale. just not a good year for him. He needs to mature, quit partying and get serious about his career

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Jersey Girl

Del Zotto tries out for the team next year. If he makes the team, he plays in the NHL. If not, he plays in the NHL and continues to develop his game toward his goal of playing in the NHL.

This is not rocket science...nothing needs to be decided until we see how he does at training camp next year.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 04:27 PM
NYRandazzo

I think one of the problems with the developement of MDZ and some other young defenseman is that there playing with other young guys. Staal and Girardi are great together I wouldn't want to split them up, but we need a veteran defenseman to show these guys the ropes. A good mentor as a D partner. Although I do like the pair of Sauer/McD I didn't think it was a smart move to put 2 rookies together. It turned out to be a positive but it can be risky to future developement. I think you would benefit more from playing with a vet than a rookie.

NYRandazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Del Zotto is untouchable for anything other than a massive overpayment in return for him. He's the only young defenseman we have who has real offensive potential. They need someone to play that role.

On top of that, now's the wrong time to trade him even if they wanted to do so. His value is at a low right now so you won't get as much back for him as you otherwise would.
Agree. Sophmore slump. It is just as likely he gets his **** together, hopefully he does another summer training camp with Stamkos's trainer, and he comes to camp with a good work ethic, there is no reason he can't recover. Boyle proved it this year.

Quote:

Disagree. Del Zotto is down in HFD working on his defensive game, he isn't there to put up numbers and pad his +/- stat. We already know he has the offensive talent. He needs to not panic in the D zone, and learn to make the right decision. He only had 20 good games last year? I don't think so. He had a great season for a 19 year old rookie defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Del Zotto tries out for the team next year. If he makes the team, he plays in the NHL. If not, he plays in the NHL and continues to develop his game toward his goal of playing in the NHL.

This is not rocket science...nothing needs to be decided until we see how he does at training camp next year.
This is exactly what is going to happen.

E Nixson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Valtentenko (If he stays, and that is a legitimate 'if')
Where's he going?

Quote:
McCabe would be a tremendous mentor for Del Zotto.
I think that's why he was sent down. McCabe is notorious for being all offense and no defense.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
Disagree. Del Zotto is down in HFD working on his defensive game, he isn't there to put up numbers and pad his +/- stat. We already know he has the offensive talent. He needs to not panic in the D zone, and learn to make the right decision. He only had 20 good games last year? I don't think so. He had a great season for a 19 year old rookie defenseman.
So since he's down there working on his defense, you figure he's dumping the puck into the zone and not honing his offensive skills?

I mean really. No one plays to pad stats, you play the game the way you know how, and up the focus and intensity in the areas you're lacking. MDZ not working on his offense would be absolutely hilarious, considering he hasn't shown any offense in over a year, and that's hopefully going to be his NHL salary bread and butter.

I stand by 20 good games. I had a similar discussion on a NYRbb when someone insisted that he had at least 40 good games last season. Just because he put up points in some games didn't mean he played well. Hell when we did some digging he had a three pt night with 1ppg, 1 ppa, and 1a, and still was -2 and logged 0 mins in the 3rd thanks to winding up benched.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:34 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
I stand by 20 good games. I had a similar discussion on a NYRbb when someone insisted that he had at least 40 good games last season.
So you enjoyed a pointless discussion over there so much that you wanted to have it here? How is it relevant how many good games he had? How does that magic number speak to the skills and upside he showed in those games?

For the record, I think he had 30 good games.

edit- no... 32 good games.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:49 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
So you enjoyed a pointless discussion over there so much that you wanted to have it here? How is it relevant how many good games he had? How does that magic number speak to the skills and upside he showed in those games?

For the record, I think he had 30 good games.

edit- no... 32 good games.
20. you're wrong, deal with it bro.

Last edited by SlingshotVv: 03-30-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old
03-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

The reasons people are complaining about him are the same reasons that caused him to fall to us in the draft. Poor defensively and some questions about his off-ice endeavors. He'll likely grow out of the latter, but as I've said from the get-go; He's more Brian Campbell than he is Duncan Keith. He'll probably get 45+ points per season, but he's going to make some gaffs along the way.

That being said, on a team whose system is devoid of any top-echelon puck moving d-men, Del Zotto is one guy the Rangers need to have work out for them. The question is, if he's never going to be good enough defensively to supplant Staal or McDonagh on the 1st and 2nd pairings, then is the organization content with him playing 3rd pairing minutes while running the 1st PP unit. That's the only place I see him fitting in unless McDonagh's game goes to hell.

However, some of the people who are willing to throw him away for "whatever they can get" should really stop trying to evaluate players.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The reasons people are complaining about him are the same reasons that caused him to fall to us in the draft. Poor defensively and some questions about his off-ice endeavors. He'll likely grow out of the latter, but as I've said from the get-go; He's more Brian Campbell than he is Duncan Keith. He'll probably get 45+ points per season, but he's going to make some gaffs along the way.
I agree with what you're saying, but I think the real reason people have soured on him is even more short-sighted than this. I mean he stunk defensively in his 1st year and most people were perfectly willing to overlook that so long as he was putting up points. What changed this year and I think really caused people to change their view on him is that his offensive production dried up. Other teams wised up to his home-run passes and he lost his best target in Gaborik to whatever you want to chalk that up to.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Seriously? The guy had a very good freshman season, and a poor sophomore, and we're considering dumping him? No offense to the OP, but Jesus, IT TAKES TIME to develop players. The guy can't even buy a freaking beer yet...Unfortunately with the likes of Crosby, Kane, Ovechkin and other great young players, it seems like people are expecting every first round draft pick to make the pro roster their first year and be an instant Hall of Famer. If Del Zotto was 24,25,26 etc and struggling like this then yes, the writing is on the wall, but he's 20 years old. Good thing we didn't decide to dump guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Boyle, etc after early career struggles.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Fleury4ever

I think they should trade Del Zotto if they can get good value. He could be the next Andy Delmore, and at best his offensive ceiling seems pretty high, but he is never going to be great in all areas.

Ultimately, I think the issue for me with Del Zotto is I don't get the sense he's a super dedicated guy, and his flaws are big enough that without major dedication he will have big holes in his game. He certainly has not demonstrated good natural hockey sense either.

A lot of these things can be learned, so he could prove me wrong. But they can only be learned by studying - and he just doesn't come off like the metaphorical reader.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
He's in Hartford for now and won't be back until he's ready. Next season is a long season and I expect for him to have a bounce back year.

I'd love to see slats pull something off at the draft and see him use DelZotto in a deal to snag Bogo. That'd be a nice upgrade IMO. Staal Bogo would be a nice top pair. Anything else doesn't make sense, we need to keep him around for a PMD/PPQB. He'd be a future pairing for McIlrath and we should think of him on that kind of timeline.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Pizza

Ok, I'll bite.

I keep seeing references to MDZ's "off ice decisions, activities, etc.".

Don't want to be a gossip. I'm just wondering if there is substance to this.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Ok, I'll bite.

I keep seeing references to MDZ's "off ice decisions, activities, etc.".

Don't want to be a gossip. I'm just wondering if there is substance to this.
in the offseason it was speculated that MDZ was an arts-and-crafts maniac.