HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#76: Flyers @ Penguins - Tuesday, Mar. 29, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-29-2011, 10:43 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Goalies are gonna give up softies every now and then. Even the best do it. After that 2nd goal, he shut them down the rest of the game. Impressed he didnt let it get to him. That's his only weak goal in the past 3 games.
I don't think he played Kovalev's goal well. At that point you're not going to save a backdoor play if the pass somehow gets through Coburn, come out a little further and challenge the shooter. Definitely not as soft as the 2nd one though.

You're certainly right though, he's been fairly consistent lately.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Flyersfan1216

"I don't think that we play hockey to win the division," Pittsburgh center Max Talbot said.

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:31 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 View Post
"I don't think that we play hockey to win the division," Pittsburgh center Max Talbot said.

He's always been an ******* to run his mouth. He said something about Flyers fans not too long ago. The guy is a ****ing clown and may even have worse hands then Nodl.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:57 AM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

Bob has really impressed me with his ability to reign it in after a bad game/letting in a soft goal/etc. These things are to be expected with a rook netminder, it's that mental toughness that has me feeling alright about him going forward.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 01:41 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Good win. I didn't get a chance to go through the whole game, but I skimmed through the interesting parts.

Kimmo had a rough game; it'd be nice to keep him out for some rest, but I doubt it happens before they secure the division.

03-30-2011, 04:50 AM
Madude

Leino on me!
A bit dirty but I like it. (from nhl.com)
Great to see HBL warming it up for the playoffs.

Madude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:01 AM
mirimon

Nice to see the HBL line back in form. Leino and Brière both had terrific games. Meszaros, Carle and Coburn continues to play well. Bobrovsky got better after a tough start and was rock solid in the third period.

Let's get a few more games where we don't take our foot off the pedal after the third goal.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:21 AM
BernieParent

I missed most of the third, but nice to not be scrambling to preserve a 1-goal lead in the last few minutes of a game. The puck was certainly favourable to the Flyers tonight, with 2 in off Fleury`s back. The 2 Penguins goals weren't stellar, but we've see a lot worse of late.

The turning point was the scramble about 30 seconds after the Penguins' second goal, where the Pens forward (2 on 1) went wide, drawing Bob out of the goal, and circled. If I had a Howie Meeker telestrator at this point, I would stop it to inquire if the Flyers skaters were trying to form a soccer-style wall or if they just didn't know their positions. The pass went to another Pen, and either the Flyer Dman got a stick on it or he muffed his shot at the open net. That would have been 3-1.

Certainly a step in the right direction and a huge win to take a 4-point lead on the Penguins. Follow it up with a strong effort against Atlanta on Thursday, and my hopes for the playoffs will be much rosier.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:28 AM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 View Post
I've never seen a career 3rd liner talk so much ****.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:36 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Ya this wasnt really me saying boyton is good, just saying that OD has been so terrible the past while.
OD will have some rough games, but he can still make some great plays. He was great on the Giroux goal. Also assisted on 2nd Leino goal. It'd be nice for him to get a couple of days off when Pronger gets back

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
I've never seen a career 3rd liner talk so much ****.
His comment wasn't really talking ****.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:15 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Pens fans are hilarious. Apparently the Flyers won 5-2 due to lucky bounces and favorable refereeing.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Doyle

With the Pittsburgh Penguins making a late-season charge and having a chance to tie for the Atlantic Division lead, the Philadelphia Flyers needed a huge effort.

http://nhlhotstove.com/flyers-fight-...for-road-wins/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Pens fans are hilarious. Apparently the Flyers won 5-2 due to lucky bounces and favorable refereeing.
Well, we did get the bounces...

Old
03-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Surely some of those goals were fortunate bounces, but sometimes you have to earn your luck. Three goals is a lot to blame on bad fortune too. Whatever, it's not like some of our fans haven't played that game too. Just human nature I suppose.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Yeah, just went over there and was reading their comments. "Flyers got lucky. Not at all scared of them. The Pens can easily beat them in a playoff series." That's a lot of talk coming from fans of a team that is 1-4-1 against them and got beat 5-2 last night.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:07 AM
MiD

even Pens announcers said that you need earn these bounces... I feel dirty, two games in row I write good things about them

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:32 AM
MsWoof

I don't know how any of you can stand going to their board. I was over there for under a minute a few days ago and felt like I had to shower after leaving.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah, just went over there and was reading their comments. "Flyers got lucky. Not at all scared of them. The Pens can easily beat them in a playoff series." That's a lot of talk coming from fans of a team that is 1-4-1 against them and got beat 5-2 last night.
pens are 2-4 against us this year and embarrassed us twice on home ice.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Larry44

Quote:
That's OK, the players and their coach, who looked like a potential cardiac patient all night, know better. They had a lucky run but they aren't good enough to beat the Flyers in a series, with or without Crosby and Malkin.

That said, the Flyers have to knuckle down and beat Atlanta, NJ and the Rangers and nail this sucker down as quickly as possible, so we can rest Kimmo for the last few games.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:41 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
LoL...leave it to Pens fans to live up to their sports culture of being over-confident crybabies. They have had one heck of a season...let's recap:
- Mario looks like a complete idiot now after all the BS he said following that Islanders game only to have Cooke come back and elbow someone in the head
- Matt Cooke has truly redefined the meaning of @$$hole - with his numerous attempts to end careers (and being successful on some accounts)
- Karma...Sid can thank Cooke for his current issues

Looking forward:
- I am betting IF the Pens make it to a second round, Cooke will be back (maybe that's why they arent scared of us, they are hoping he can headhunt Briere and Giroux in the playoffs)...I believe Mario and friends' only punishment is removing his A
- Fleury continues to show his weak five-hole in the playoffs
- Sid & Mario continue to make a case to the NHL about head shots while lacking any credibility thanks to Cooke...

The list can go on...either way, let them talk...the best part about talking **** is that it's only as good as the source it comes from. And, at this point, the Pens have no credibility and a bad reputation.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
hollywood42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
pens are 2-4 against us this year and embarrassed us twice on home ice.
meh we got pts in 5/6 games vs them
no pity shootouts when the real season begins in 2 weeks
plus we were already 3-1 vs them when they had malkin and crosby

i think the huge hump was beating them all 3 times in Consol

hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:11 AM
hollywood42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
yea but how many of those bounces have gone against us this season?
the fact we got a few fluky goals in the same game in a game vs the pens makes the win so much sweeter

hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:16 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
LoL...leave it to Pens fans to live up to their sports culture of being over-confident crybabies. They have had one heck of a season...let's recap:
- Mario looks like a complete idiot now after all the BS he said following that Islanders game only to have Cooke come back and elbow someone in the head
- Matt Cooke has truly redefined the meaning of @$$hole - with his numerous attempts to end careers (and being successful on some accounts)
- Karma...Sid can thank Cooke for his current issues

Looking forward:
- I am betting IF the Pens make it to a second round, Cooke will be back (maybe that's why they arent scared of us, they are hoping he can headhunt Briere and Giroux in the playoffs)...I believe Mario and friends' only punishment is removing his A
- Fleury continues to show his weak five-hole in the playoffs
- Sid & Mario continue to make a case to the NHL about head shots while lacking any credibility thanks to Cooke...

The list can go on...either way, let them talk...the best part about talking **** is that it's only as good as the source it comes from. And, at this point, the Pens have no credibility and a bad reputation.
Playing devil's advocate here...

Your "list" that "can go on" is quite weak. 5 of your 6 points basically are about Cooke. You've essentially listed 1) Matt Cooke/headshots and 2) Fleury's five hole. Not much of a list.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Surely some of those goals were fortunate bounces, but sometimes you have to earn your luck. Three goals is a lot to blame on bad fortune too. Whatever, it's not like some of our fans haven't played that game too. Just human nature I suppose.
For sure. Flyers definitely came to play last night, and didn't fold when it might've been expected.

We certainly have our fans like that, too. But Pens fans seem...I don't know. Quite...populous? when it comes to stuff like that.